Quote Originally Posted by Rivehn View Post
    Just Closed beta, Open beta would be a mistake.
    Agreed. No offense to anyone, but I've noticed a lot of general community feedback really ruins a game. It's nobody's fault, it just happens, due to lack knowledge of the game.

I am pretty sure they have said there will be open beta, but it will be more like a taster/trial once everything is basically finished, and will only last a week or two.
    At least, that's the general belief/knowledge on guru. Please don't ask me to go getter a source, am way too tired and there's a funny programme on TV in a minute
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    I love these changes. Maybe it's because I've always valued utility and teamwork over my personal meter whoring, but the ability to pop Heart and step in for a dead healer/tank for 45s to save the day is Druidism at its finest IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDragon
    Technically dragon eating human is not cannibalism. It is misfortunate inconvinience.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapho View Post
    I am pretty sure they have said there will be open beta, but it will be more like a taster/trial once everything is basically finished, and will only last a week or two.
    At least, that's the general belief/knowledge on guru. Please don't ask me to go getter a source, am way too tired and there's a funny programme on TV in a minute
    ANet believes that an Open Beta is just a glorified demo. So they'll likely have one that lasts maybe a month or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Quote Originally Posted by Miggetmagic View Post
    Source

They have said Beta will be a glorified demo. In any case, there will most likely be one, unless getting rid of it comes up in their "Iterative Process".
    Ya, I wouldn't blame them at all for not doing an Open Beta. It's B2P, so there isn't that clutch moment of "If I buy this, I'm potentially committing over a hundred dollars to this venture" sort of thing.

Subscription MMO's definitely have a lot more to prove, and need to supply an open beta to garner consumer trust. B2P just doesn't have that same need.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Sensible stuff
    I honestly wasn't expecting that. I apologize for treating you like a standard PvP-player-hater.

Well Mesmers weren't really that good in PvE until the recent revamp - now mesmers are THE best class for PvE period.
    Paragons. Just sayin'.

On a semi-related note: I really, really hope they make GW2 subscription-based. It's the one promise of theirs I hope they break, even if it's only like $5/mo. It became obvious late in GW's life that they were stressing for money and couldn't do timely quality updates (anyone remember their promise of bi-monthly content? I was willing to give them the "once every two months" interpretation instead of "twice a month", but then they started taking significantly longer to release anything but bug fixes).
    Last edited by Armond; 2011-05-17 at 01:51 AM.

Some new / reaffirmed info in this here recent interview.

http://guildwars.incgamers.com/blog/...terview-part-1
    Lolinternet.

Quote Originally Posted by Armond View Post
    On a semi-related note: I really, really hope they make GW2 subscription-based. It's the one promise of theirs I hope they break, even if it's only like $5/mo.
    I also wouldn't mind them doing that. I work for a living, make good money. The only reason I stopped playing wow even though its so cheap is out of principle. Its like trying to send a message that they are making a mess of a game I used to enjoy. I would happily pay a monthly sub fee for GW2 if they keep plugging in new interesting content.

Actually what you are saying is a misconception they never said they would do bi-monthly updates, some people interpreted it that way and it was said by players so many times that it somehow became something people thought they actually said. But feel free to gimme a quote if you find a source.
    Sept. 2009 Developer update, first line. "This is our last skill balance update before moving officially to a bimonthly schedule."

Don't get me wrong - GW is a gigantic game with ridiculous spaghetti coding (it was at one point impossible to code in skills that cost 20 energy without blowing everything up - the 1e necromancer skills were, to my understanding, a similar [if not comparable] technical endeavor to replacing quivers with normal bags), and I completely understand why they can't get stuff out as fast as anyone would like. That said, I wish they wouldn't promise things they can't deliver, or retract promises they realize they can't meet.

Not really, all they really excel at is defense and only as player characters.

I was meaning the overall best PvE class (profession) and really Mesmers can do more armor ignoring damage than anything else these days and work well on heroes as well.

Personal preference is another matter ofc.
    Personal preference aside, paragons do a ton more than you give them credit for. Paragon heroes do ridiculous damage at range, and because they're heroes they focus fire very well. They also have easy access to two of the best elite attack skills in the game (Cruel Spear and Stunning Strike) with similarly ridiculous nonelite attacks (Wild Throw, Vicious Attack, Blazing Spear, Swift Javelin in niche cases, Spear of Lightning in other niche cases, Disrupting Throw, and Spear of Redemption), and with a minimum of effort can get two of the best nonelite healing skills in the game (Chorus/Ballad of Restoration). Because Leadership makes energy not a problem, they can pick and choose utility skills from their secondary. Best of all, except for having a copy of Stunning Strike somewhere on your team and Focused Anger on your imbagon, paragons generally don't need their elite skills to function, which opens up a ton of opportunities.

Armor-ignoring damage is really nice, I agree - but because of the design behind hard mode, it's often better to be able to do less damage but make your whole team better at not dying. Obviously, however, turning down a mesmer because he's not a paragon is usually a bad idea.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    So you want them to add monthly fees because you think there will be a lack of updates? If you haven't noticed Guild Wars has kept up with updates just as much as P2P MMOs, if not more. The only reason the updates started to slow down is because they were working on Utopia which turned into what we are discussing here. ArenaNet couldn't continue to do what they wanted within GW1, thats why they are making GW2. Many other games that have sequels or prequels starting slowing down on updates because they are working on the newer game. I don't understand why people keep thinking just because there is no monthly fee involved there won't be enough funding to keep the game updated or running. Adding a monthly fee to a game doesn't just magically make the developer put out more content, and just because there is no monthly fee doesn't mean there won't be enough content.
    Last edited by Relente; 2011-05-17 at 04:13 AM.

So 2012 looking abit more realistic after todays conference call:

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/...8.html?t=16778

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    A possibility, but they also said the game was suppose to be released in 2010 during one of the conference calls, so I wouldn't look into too much. I am still thinking end of 2011, but we will have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan Khan View Post
    So 2012 looking abit more realistic after todays conference call:

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/...8.html?t=16778
    Well that's not really unexpected.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well they really haven't said anything we didn't already know. They said Beta tests will happen during the second half of the year, and Closed Beta tests will happen before the end of the year. So, we could still see a closed Beta in September, open Beta in November, and release in December. As you can see, I am optimistic for a 2011 release.

ANet will be going to a bunch of conventions during the Summer, so I am sure they plan on releasing a bunch more information. They also said they have a big announcement planned at PAX Prime in August, which could be a release date or Beta date.
    Last edited by Relente; 2011-05-17 at 04:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Well that's not really unexpected.
    No you're absolutely right, it's not really unexpected. I just still had my hopes up for a 2011 release, because i'm mighty bored of the mmo scene at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Ampd413 View Post
    So you want them to add monthly fees because you think there will be a lack of updates?
    I think there will be a lack of timely, quality updates. As I've explained here and elsewhere, GW has not excelled in that department for some time (back to the days of Factions, which was ridiculously late and ridiculously buggy).

You're right, content doesn't "magically" appear - it appears when people are motivated to make and code a good game. Money goes a long way towards that. Do a little math - even on a $10 subscription with an average subscriber staying for six months, they more than double their income. That means twice as many people working on the content, or twice the motivation for the current team to make good content.

No sub fee means ArenaNet has to work harder to keep their consumers coming back, this pushes them to keep churning out quality updates. Not only does this make for a better game for the consumers, but also means they lose money because they are not selling as many copies. Ergo, no sub fee = more motivation = better game.
    I have to agree with this, because I don't really see that the mountains of money blizzard is getting from subscriptions is always doing that much good for the content they deliver. Tons of money dosen't automatically guarantee quality content, it could, but it could also go the other way.

No sub fee means ArenaNet has to work harder to keep their consumers coming back, this pushes them to keep churning out quality updates. Not only does this make for a better game for the consumers, but also means they lose money because they are not selling as many copies. Ergo, no sub fee = more motivation = better game.
    No, seriously, is it opposite day?

No sub fee means it's easier to get your customers back, since there's much less stopping you from picking up the game. How many of us have thought about coming back to wow, but decided against spending the money? I do it once a month at least.

Having to work harder doesn't mean they actually will. When was the last time you talked with the devs? When did you last chat on vent with Izzy? The live team is basically exhausted pushing out the content we get now, and the old "full" team just couldn't get out amazing updates no matter the situation. PvP problems existed for forever without much attention, and the PvE has been sub-par for as long as there's been competition from WoW.

I don't see how not selling copies and thus losing money is good for the company as a whole or the morale of the workers (which is a very important factor you've not considered). I tried to read your second sentence reasonably but what the fuck this whole sentence I cannot comprehend

In short, no subscription fee means you rely on frontloaded sales. GW appeals to new gamers because of this. It's true that more money doesn't necessarily mean better content, but it's also true that less money generally means worse (or at least less) content. Also, none of your points are related at all.

I do hope they keep their promise of a B2P model. One of the highest points of GW2 for me was it's lack of monthly fee, so I never had to "choose" what game I would play, between GW2 and WoW, I could play them both.

Quote Originally Posted by Underskilled View Post
    I do hope they keep their promise of a B2P model. One of the highest points of GW2 for me was it's lack of monthly fee, so I never had to "choose" what game I would play, between GW2 and WoW, I could play them both.
    but would you though? If one game was superior, free and had more content to enjoy would you really feel like going back and playing wow again. I think if they give people a lot of content to do, professions, the big pvp battles there would be more than enough to keep you from switching back and forth between each game.

Even though the option is there, friends that still play wow would be the only reason I would keep a wow account. But for me they have all quit and are awaiting the next big game.

Well, it's really what you play the games for, that judge how you spend your time playing.

I've been playing WoW for a long time. I've experienced a lot, and had fun experiencing it all. These days I still play it, but about all my time in WoW is raiding with friends. I still enjoy playing WoW, and not about to drop it altogether, but we don't raid incredibly often, and a nice game to fill the time I spend playing games, but not WoW, is really what I'm looking for.

Guild Wars 2. It's B2P model allows me stop playing for large amounts of time, without the thought of losing money, or dealing with subscriptions. Anet's plan of "Making leveling the enjoyable experience, not just endgame" means I can take my time and really have fun, not needing to grind to the level cap to have fun. Finally, it's revamped style of leveling, what with the personal storyline, Dynamic Events, and WvWvW combat, will give me more than it's worth in hours of gameplay. I don't see GW2 as a threat to WoW, not because it's not as good, but because I don't HAVE to choose, I can play both!

Think of WoW as your wife, and GW2 as that stripper model your wife wants threesomes with. Both. At the same time.