This makes me want to play GW2, like, right now. Really badly.

I'm assuming that was the intent of the video, and the poster. They both succeeded.
    poop

I can start of by saying that I started playing GW a few weeks after release, I was basically looking for something LIKE WoW, without the subscription fees. Since I barely had a clue what kind of gameplay WoW included it didn't matter what GW was like, I was hooked. I was only 12 at the time, working hard on my english since I established close friendships with people from the UK. It was the first MMO I ever played and I've sticked to them for almost 6 years now, almost only MMOs.

I kept playing Guild Wars a few weeks into Nightfall, but I didn't have the money to buy the expansion so I actually took a break. When I finally did have the money it went to buy me WoW instead, I've actually regretted that for quite some time.

I can't say I've been keeping myself very updated on what's happening in GW at the moment, I logged in once and everything was completely alien so I just quit it again. But I consider delving myself into the discussions here since the lore and GW2 is really interesting to me.

I have also read every single post on every single page. 1-62, so I should have a grasp on what's been posted and what hasn't. Although I doubt there is anything that has escaped the GW2-fans' radars

Deleted
    Guild Wars is known for not having a subscription fee, and I want to keep it that way.

Slightly offtopic: Any suggestions how to fill it a bit more (target: 23-25 points, I want that Fellblade)? Lets just say that I'm not swimming in cash. :P
    Last edited by mmoc5b3bf16116; 2011-05-17 at 11:03 AM. Reason: confused now :D

I have always personally been disgusted by cash shops. I would almost rather pay a fee every month and have access to absolutely EVERYTHING. But I also like the B2P model, but when I played GW the shop wasn't in yet, so I was pretty much living the dream.

Thing is that they will be good off however it ends up, really. ArenaNet are experienced enough to do these choices, we should let them decide the future of the game when it comes to economy. Really, the only ones that know anything about the money needed for profit and continued work on the game is ArenaNet. I trust them, I trust the cash shop will be things that I might get for fun once in a while, but not something I will need to be better or stay on top and compete.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewote View Post
    Guild Wars is known for not having a subscription fee, and I want to keep it that way.

Slightly offtopic: Any suggestions how to fill it a bit more (target: 25 points)? Lets just say that I'm not swimming in cash. :P
    For speed:

1) Buy 9 Common (White) minis that you don't already have, as they are rather cheap. This will yield 2 points.

2) Look up the elite armor skins on the wiki, find the cheapest for what ever profession you have and craft 2 different ones that you don't already have. This will yield another 2 points for you.

2.a) If you don't want to get the elite armor, you can go for the Fellowship. You can shop around for the hero armor pieces or do the challenge missions for those yourself. Be sure to make it easier by taming the Imperial Phoenix from the end of Factions, after the defeat of Shiro. This means you would need either 14 more hero armors or the Imperial Phoenix + 13 hero armors. (I'm not making mention of the Black Widow since some people still have issues with UW and it takes a lot of Bal-Faction to unlock or gold coins. )

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daerken View Post
    I have always personally been disgusted by cash shops. I would almost rather pay a fee every month and have access to absolutely EVERYTHING. But I also like the B2P model, but when I played GW the shop wasn't in yet, so I was pretty much living the dream.

Thing is that they will be good off however it ends up, really. ArenaNet are experienced enough to do these choices, we should let them decide the future of the game when it comes to economy. Really, the only ones that know anything about the money needed for profit and continued work on the game is ArenaNet. I trust them, I trust the cash shop will be things that I might get for fun once in a while, but not something I will need to be better or stay on top and compete.
    Whats wrong with the GW cash shop? Just out of interest since it's only purely cosmetic things in the cash shop. Therefore you have access to everything in game anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    Whats wrong with the GW cash shop? Just out of interest since it's only purely cosmetic things in the cash shop. Therefore you have access to everything in game anyway.
    I know that, but I still find cosmetic things like that annoying when you have to buy them through the cash shop. I know most people find it fine if they don't give any bonuses. But I just think that cosmetic items like that can be used in a cool way in the game instead. WoW being a great example of those kind of things.

I know that, but I still find cosmetic things like that annoying when you have to buy them through the cash shop. I know most people find it fine if they don't give any bonuses. But I just think that cosmetic items like that can be used in a cool way in the game instead. WoW being a great example of those kind of things.
    The thing with WoW is, you're paying a monthly fee to get all that goodness, GW, you buy the games, and thats all, they need some funding, can't have everything for free.

As long as it doesn't make your character any more powerful, it's a-okay, in my book.
    Last edited by Digglett; 2011-05-17 at 11:37 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow also has a cash shop, minipets, mounts, etc.

Deleted
    Erm, WoW does exactly the same and you pay a monthly fee to have everything anyway.

Back when I played wow, I usually bought all the stuff I could from the shop as well. So since GW2 dosen't have a subscription fee, I'm definatly going to buy most of the stuff they have on offer. I just hope it's more or less totally "useless stuff", so not too many people will bitch and moan about it. :P And I have to say, as long as they have been doing this cash shop, ArenaNet haven't come across as greedy in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan Khan View Post
    Back when I played wow, I usually bought all the stuff I could from the shop as well. So since GW2 dosen't have a subscription fee, I'm definatly going to buy most of the stuff they have on offer. I just hope it's more or less totally "useless stuff", so not too many people will bitch and moan about it. :P And I have to say, as long as they have been doing this cash shop, ArenaNet haven't come across as greedy in my book.
    It will be only cosmetic stuff, which is good. hopefully things like outfits, pets etc.

Erm, WoW does exactly the same and you pay a monthly fee to have everything anyway.
    The only thing the WoW-cash shop has is the pets. I for one don't care about them, costumes and actual looks of character disturbs me. But yeah, I'm not happy with the mounts in the cash shop in WoW, but mounts won't even be in GW2.

Just to clarify, I'm not entirely against the cash shop, they need some sort of revenue, just saying that I personally wouldn't mind a subscription. They have said there's not going to be one so I wouldn't be worried if you don't want to have a subscription-based model.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only thing the WoW-cash shop has is the pets. I for one don't care about them, costumes and actual looks of character disturbs me. But yeah, I'm not happy with the mounts in the cash shop in WoW, but mounts won't even be in GW2.

Just to clarify, I'm not entirely against the cash shop, they need some sort of revenue, just saying that I personally wouldn't mind a subscription. They have said there's not going to be one so I wouldn't be worried if you don't want to have a subscription-based model.
    Minipets/mounts/server transfer/faction change/makeover/race change are all in the wow cash shop

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    Minipets/mounts/server transfer/faction change/makeover/race change are all in the wow cash shop
    In my opinion, server transfers are fine. You chose a server, stay with it or pay for the service to get it moved. Simple. Race change and changing the appearance of your character is also fine. You chose it, you can choose to pay for the service to change it. Do I have to specify everything? COSTUMES, in MY opinion, are more fun to have in the game instead of the cash shop.

In my opinion, server transfers are fine. You chose a server, stay with it or pay for the service to get it moved. Simple. Race change and changing the appearance of your character is also fine. You chose it, you can choose to pay for the service to change it. Do I have to specify everything? COSTUMES, in MY opinion, are more fun to have in the game instead of the cash shop.
    in gw2, server changes will be free

Quote Originally Posted by HellfireWarlocks View Post
    in gw2, server changes will be free
    They never said that. They just said it would be very easy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    They never said that. They just said it would be very easy.
    Their going with the same golbal server design as before. They want people to be able to change server when they please, but it will have a CD on it due to WvWvW, although it will be free to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    while it's not officially released, server transfers will probably be free, ye

Their going with the same golbal server design as before. They want people to be able to change server when they please, but it will have a CD on it due to WvWvW, although it will be free to do.
    I believe it will be free like the rest of you do but they never have officially said it will be free (or have cooldowns or whatever). They are still looking into it.