10+ Year Old Account
    It was stated before that skills will not do as much dmg in the real game as they do in skill videos. it's just for dramatic effects

Deleted
    Linking this assuming it's not linked yet, there's a video explaining stuff very well. (also about SWToR)

4:00 - 14:17

The skill videos were setup for that kind of effect. It won't be like that in game.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewote View Post
    Linking this assuming it's not linked yet, there's a video explaining stuff very well. (also about SWToR)
    I liked what this guy had to say. The one thing i disagree with him on was his worry about having Wiki's and other resources like WoW Head and such. Just because dynamic events are themselves dynamic doesn't mean people can't share information about them. It will just be things like this i think:

"if you finish these 2 parts of <insert event> but fail the 3rd part a super cool boss shows up that you can fight but if you finish part 3 the event is over. Failing part 3 and fighting that boss is a lot of fun you should try it."

Instead of information like this..... "Terrorpane has a 12 hour respawn rate happy hunting...."

Just because information is dynamic doesn't mean it can't be discussed. I think it gives us more information TO discuss. That's my take on it though.

On the SW:ToR note, his concerns with companions has me a little worried that this game is going to end up being too single player like mass effect. I'm all for a good story but not at the expense of me being able to play with my friends. One thing i like about GW2 personal story is that you can invite your friends to participate in it. I'm not sure if SW:ToR offers this. But they darn well better.

my 2 cents. Thanks for the video.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyingmoney View Post
    Don't you know the meaning of life?
    Get born.
    Play WoW.
    Snort crack.
    Fuck bitches.
    Die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewote View Post
    VID
    Dude needs a smaller mic...
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

I think that "speech" was linked way back. It wasn't in video form but just in text as a blog-post. Now, I noticed the same error, or maybe I am wrong, but GW2 doesn't even have tanking, healing and DPSing. He says that every class will be able to tank, heal, DPS, control and support, like every class would be a hybrid. But isn't that wrong? From what I've understood there's no such thing as tanking and healing and most of the damage you will have to avoid. Or am I wrong?

Both Shatterer, human elemental event/horn worm event and all creatures in those demo videos have health, damage, and all ability effects reduced.. for demo purposes.
    Demo is limited to 1h as far as i know, everything is much easier than the version that will go live because they wanted ppl to experience more than they would usually be able to + theres around 200-300 players on those demo servers scattered all over the world.. events like Shatterer and such should have alot more people involved than shown in those videos.

Any argument that something dies so fast or OP vs some npcs or something too easy doesn't make any sence.

Quote Originally Posted by Daerken View Post
    I think that "speech" was linked way back. It wasn't in video form but just in text as a blog-post. Now, I noticed the same error, or maybe I am wrong, but GW2 doesn't even have tanking, healing and DPSing. He says that every class will be able to tank, heal, DPS, control and support, like every class would be a hybrid. But isn't that wrong? From what I've understood there's no such thing as tanking and healing and most of the damage you will have to avoid. Or am I wrong?
    The idea is that every class will have the ability to perform roles so you aren't pigeon holed into taking a warrior for a tank and a priest for a healer and <insert dps classes>. You are right in saying you will have to avoid damage. But there are LIMITED healing abilities for when you do take damage. If you haven't watched it already i suggest watching the GW2 Manifesto video on guildwars2.com to get the best idea of what it is that they are wanting their system to do.

Hope this helps
    Get born.
    Play WoW.
    Snort crack.
    Fuck bitches.
    Die.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    There is no tanking, healing, or dps in GW2. It is control, support, and damage and all professions are able to do each. There will be no tanks that just sit there, build threat, and take all the damage like most MMOs. There still we be a threat system, but anyone can get attacked and the point of the combat system is to get the enemy down will keeping yourself and others alive. You can sit and take damage if you like, but it isn't going to be very helpful to you or your group.

-Support roles will help reduce damage done to the group by using reflection/deflection skills and also can use healing / utility skills to help out the group.
    -Control roles will help control the battlefield by slowing, dazing, or crippling enemies and using other crowd control methods
    -Damage role is self explanatory

Now you can pick certain weapon sets and traits that make you better at a certain role, but you still can do each role at anytime.
    Last edited by Relente; 2011-05-26 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nalvaudi View Post
    The idea is that every class will have the ability to perform roles so you aren't pigeon holed into taking a warrior for a tank and a priest for a healer and <insert dps classes>. You are right in saying you will have to avoid damage. But there are LIMITED healing abilities for when you do take damage. If you haven't watched it already i suggest watching the GW2 Manifesto video on guildwars2.com to get the best idea of what it is that they are wanting their system to do.

Hope this helps
    Well, it seems you have some reading up to do

@Ampd413: yeah, that's what I was thinking about. As a WoW-player, I never really count support and control as roles, but I guess that's just a handicap from sticking with the trinity for so long.

But yes, seems like there are people actually saying they "know" about this stuff and actually getting it wrong. It's really bad when a guy like him on MMOrgue tells the ones following him the wrong info. That could turn into some negative marketing, unintentionally, for ArenaNet.

The ambassador video winners were announced today. It must have been tough to choose what won. My favorites was one of the grand prize winner and one of the 1st place winners.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wm9NMZDN-A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQcrHuTRJrA

10+ Year Old Account
    ShamWOW-er... ShamGW guy is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    The ambassador video winners were announced today. It must have been tough to choose what won. My favorites was one of the grand prize winner and one of the 1st place winners.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wm9NMZDN-A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQcrHuTRJrA
    lol hilarious

Take a look at this city, its freakin EPIC! i love this theme http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0MzZyZ-ty8&hd=1
    Last edited by Snakez; 2011-05-27 at 12:05 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    see? Even thor will play it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ampd413 View Post
    You can sit and take damage if you like, but it isn't going to be very helpful to you or your group.
    This will leave you ending up dead extremely fast in GW2.

Well, it seems you have some reading up to do
    I'll be honest. I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or you being a smart-ass lol :-p
    Text doesn't really translate facial expressions or voice tone too well
    Get born.
    Play WoW.
    Snort crack.
    Fuck bitches.
    Die.

Quote Originally Posted by nalvaudi View Post
    This will leave you ending up dead extremely fast in GW2.

I'll be honest. I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or you being a smart-ass lol :-p
    Text doesn't really translate facial expressions or voice tone too well
    Take it how you will. I can assure you it wasn't INTENDED as rude or the likes, but many things in text translates in the reader's mind. So, as said, take it how you will :P

Now, I noticed the same error, or maybe I am wrong, but GW2 doesn't even have tanking, healing and DPSing. He says that every class will be able to tank, heal, DPS, control and support, like every class would be a hybrid. But isn't that wrong? From what I've understood there's no such thing as tanking and healing and most of the damage you will have to avoid. Or am I wrong?
    Kindasorta.

Every class is a hybrid of the damage, control, and support roles (or at least a hybrid of two of them; I admit to not having watched GW2 developments very closely, so I can't be sure). This allows them to remove the agro table and make enemies smarter, as everyone can contribute to damage reduction instead of just the tank. Side note: the removal of the agro table also necessitates the hybridization of roles within classes - one causes the other and the other causes the first. This is fascinating if you're a game design nerd like myself.

Further reading can be found in one of my previous posts. As I touched on there, healing and tanking will exist, but in a much lesser format than traditional (WoW-like) games.

If you want to play a tank role, your job will not be what you're used to. Most people are used to tanks (and frontliners in general) being able to soak up as much damage as possible; this will not (should not) be possible in GW2. As I mentioned, I'm a little sketchy on how professions have developed so far, but as I recall the Guardian and Warrior will be able to focus on preventing enemies from doing stuff via knockdowns and other disabling effects (at least, this is how things worked in GW). If you want to excel at your role, you'll realize that the damage you prevent by stunning a foe for 3 seconds is more helpful to the party than the damage you prevent by using a defensive skill - a lot of the time, at least; there are times when this won't be true, and that's why strategy and tactics are important. Note especially that a well-used melee stun prevents a monster from attacking a squishy target, forcing it to either turn its attention to you or waste resources trying to catch the squishy (who has, hopefully, gained some distance).

Healing does exist in GW2, but there is not a dedicated healer class/spec/role. I'm actually very sad at this because I don't like the way it changes the combat dynamics, but I can appreciate the new healing dynamics. From what I recall, each character is required to take one healing/defensive skill, and this will in essence force players to become more well-rounded to improve. Because the ability to heal allies is limited, each player becomes more responsible for his own survival; a player who says "lol helr u sux why didn u heel me" will become the laughingstock he should always have been.

However, I do believe you're correct when you say that most of the damage will have to be avoided. Most of that seems like it'll be done via offensive utility ("control") spells, though kiting and the like will, of course, have their place.
    Last edited by Armond; 2011-05-27 at 04:09 AM. Reason: Major expansion

The fact that they do stick to not implementing mounts is one of the best things! The world retains its grandiose and explorability. 10 points to you Arenanet for sticking to your guns!

Wow made epic mistake introducing flying mounts in Azeroth.
    "Bill Nye: So Todd I got an offer for you. You and me. Any time. Any place. Debating science mano- a-mano. I'll bring the facts, and you bring the Vaseline. Because your ass is gonna fucking need it when I'm done whipping."

Mr Eames: "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jtgizmo View Post
    The fact that they do stick to not implementing mounts is one of the best things! The world retains its grandiose and explorability. 10 points to you Arenanet for sticking to your guns!

Wow made epic mistake introducing flying mounts in Azeroth.
    Completly agree! In fact I was just about to make a post saying the exact same thing. Flying mounts was one of the bigger mistakes Blizzard made during the 6 years so far.
    (Ground) Mounts in general are cool enough, but they should be hard to get so they retain their epicness, not a collectable like they have become in wow.

I agree on the mounts, especially the flying ones - and this is speaking as someone with 100+
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    I love these changes. Maybe it's because I've always valued utility and teamwork over my personal meter whoring, but the ability to pop Heart and step in for a dead healer/tank for 45s to save the day is Druidism at its finest IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDragon
    Technically dragon eating human is not cannibalism. It is misfortunate inconvinience.