If wow had content scaling or sidekick system first thing i would do is kara and other classic raids and not ashenvale lol

I'm wondering how the scaling system will work for group dungeons.

For example, if I wanted to help out a friend, and run him/her through a low level dungeon, would that even be an option? Or would I be forced to scale downwards to do the dungeon?

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I don't want to get to max level just to faceroll low level dungeons, but it's fun every once in a while to go back to the old bosses that made you cringe, and make them explode
    Last edited by Underskilled; 2011-05-31 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I understand why ANet wants to make content scale, and make you scale with content, but this brings up a wide variety of problems in that a player will have to take running through the starting zone as seriously as running through a high-level zone. I think that could cause some issues in that it'll be incredibly time-consuming to get anywhere, especially with the apparent lack of fast-travel options.
    The scaling in GW2 is not that problematic. When you are a lowlevel charactter, the starting zones aren't "extremely hard", while some of the higher level areas probably will be, so I don't really think there's going to be an issue. And also - where is there a lack of "fast-travel" options? You travel way faster than in WoW for the most part. And I'm pretty sure you can dodge most creep camps.

Quote Originally Posted by Kakuzo View Post
    - SNIP -
    This is correct.

I believe they said something like: If you are lvl 80 and go in a lvl 5 zone it would feel as if you were a level 8 or 9. You will be able to quest there with ease, but you wont 1 shot anything

I think having content scale this way will actually provide much more content for all players so ppl can level in the zone they want to and not the zone they have to.

I cant see into the future so I have no idea how it will turn out, but as far as Im concererned the pros by far outweigh the cons

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blizzcon2011 View Post
    Your abilities will be exactly the same always no matter what, with certain weapon combinations. everything will just get scaled up as if you were the same level as them.
    That unfortunately takes a lot of the interest out of the game for me. If at level 80 I can do no more than at level 10, why have 80 levels? Indeed, what's the point of even having levels in the game at all if there is no changes to what you can do or how you can do between them?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by georgevonfranken View Post
    If wow had content scaling or sidekick system first thing i would do is kara and other classic raids and not ashenvale lol
    I know right, but seriously, if they added that to WoW i would love that, there would be so much more to do cause old stuff wouldnt be a snoozefest of AoE'ing things or burning through mechanics of the sunwell bosses, but actually doing them and having them be a challenge.

---------- Post added 2011-05-31 at 02:33 PM ----------

That unfortunately takes a lot of the interest out of the game for me. If at level 80 I can do no more than at level 10, why have 80 levels? Indeed, what's the point of even having levels in the game at all if there is no changes to what you can do or how you can do between them?
    Change your weapon combination?

Quote Originally Posted by Underskilled View Post

For example, if I wanted to help out a friend, and run him/her through a low level dungeon, would that even be an option? Or would I be forced to scale downwards to do the dungeon?
    Not quite sure, but I dont think instanced dungeons scale with level so I think if you are level 80 you will be able to easily carry your low level friends through a low level dungeon just like WoW, but Im not sure how it works

Sad to say no you won't be able to "Boost". When you enter a dungeon the second time (the firs time is a part of you personal story line). God knows what can happend, it can branch in different directions you can get entirely different bosses mobs... ending! Therefore they don't wan't you too rush trough it. (Sadly this I'm uncerttain about but read it somewhere >-<)

@Gerogevonfranken. Idd or run Ulduar ! But it was an easy example xD

@Insaint. No, there are no quests apart from the personal story lines, but they are just there as "directions" But so are quests anyways!

Where did I mention anything about quests? :S

Edit: So If there is a lvl 30 dungeon that wont scale with levels, I cant bring a level 80 into it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blizzcon2011 View Post
    Change your weapon combination?
    Maybe you should re-read that. Different weapons alone will not provide power diversity and power improvement/alteration over 80 levels.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Insaint View Post
    This is correct.

I believe they said something like: If you are lvl 80 and go in a lvl 5 zone it would feel as if you were a level 8 or 9. You will be able to quest there with ease, but you wont 1 shot anything

I think having content scale this way will actually provide much more content for all players so ppl can level in the zone they want to and not the zone they have to.

I cant see into the future so I have no idea how it will turn out, but as far as Im concererned the pros by far outweigh the cons
    Right there
    And insaint, no I believe dungeons do scale

The first time you go to an instance it will be a storyline for the instance. Nothing to do with your personal storyline. After you finish it you unlock discovery mode which the instance opens up for multiple paths through with different encounters. The discovery mode version shows the effects of whatever went down in the story version.

Edit: Just want to note that you can do the storyline version again after you do it the first time. its like selecting normal/heroic. you choose story/discovery. And as far as i know they never said if you took a 80 into a 30 dungeon by yourself that you would scale to 30 but they never said it wouldnt either.
    Last edited by zombiemike168; 2011-05-31 at 06:46 PM.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I don't want to get to max level just to faceroll low level dungeons, but it's fun every once in a while to go back to the old bosses that made you cringe, and make them explode
    I do help my friends from time to time in this way but I still get annoyed sometimes when I see messages in trade of someone looking for an easy faceroll way through the dungeon to get gear instead of actually experiencing that dungeon the way it was originally set in place. Get a group and have some fun is what I would like to tell some of these folks.

People like getting their high lvl friends to faceroll instances for them so they get all the loot. With GW2 having every player in the group being guaranteed loot theres no real reason for this unless they dont like doing the dungeons. If that is the case theres comparable loot obtained through the karma system by doing mini games and dynamic events

Maybe you should re-read that. Different weapons alone will not provide power diversity and power improvement/alteration over 80 levels.
    I think Blizzcon2011 is a little confused, you unlock skills and new ranks of skills at certain levels just like any other MMO, you don't know all skills from the start. Some skill and weapons slots are locked at lower levels and get unlocked as you level up.

Quote Originally Posted by Official Guild Wars 2 Wiki
    In PvE and world PvP skills for the skills bar, including most weapon skills, are initially locked. The unlocking of the skill and any tiers improving the skill is restricted by the level of the player. For example, tier 9 of Point Blank Shot becomes available to be unlocked when the character reaches level 80.

There are several different ways to unlock skills:

as a reward for completing different types of combat.
    the purchase of a skill guide from a skill trainer.
    as a loot drop.

Pet skills and skills given by environmental weapons do not need to be unlocked and are always available to PvE and world PvP players. In structured PvP all skills are available for play without needing to be unlocked first.
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Skill

"Power diversity and power improvement/alteration over 80 levels" will be provided by gaining these new skills and ranks, but also by gaining and equiping traits which modify the power or function of skills and attributes. These are picked up by completing Proffesion specific challenges as you progress through the world and the higher level you are, the more you can equip.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Traits

As for being bumped up to a different level outside structured PvP, you won't gain any new skills, your power and health will just be adjusted so you don't get squashed instantly. Can't find a quote for this, but pretty sure that's what they have said.
    Last edited by Mothhive; 2011-05-31 at 07:01 PM.

I think I already mentioned this but, you explained it better :P
    This should be on the first post of this thread!

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah that's much clearer Moth, and as I expected. Mentoring won't, and shouldn't give you all the benefits of being the new level, it just keeps you from getting pwned. And that's pretty much what I had expected, hence why "everything will be the same for 80 levels" was rather shocking.

Just, be kind.

The levelling should be fairly quick, once you reach the level cap you find a setup you enjoy and start exploring the world, att least that is what i will do.

I look forward to the sidekicking. One of my problems with wow is that you feel rushed to get to max lvl and with the current lvling curve you speed through content without seeing eveything. Once you get to 85 the only way to progress is to grind the same 6 or so dungeons for loot. Theres no incentive to go see what you missed.

With the sidekicking I can go see what I missed and still feel danger and with the karma points, still progress my character doing so.
    Last edited by zombiemike168; 2011-05-31 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kakuzo View Post
    Right there
    And insaint, no I believe dungeons do scale
    I meant leveling not questing xD And Dynamic events can be viewed as dynamic quests instead :P

And do you have a source btw? Im not doubting you, but I seem to remember the oposite :P