10+ Year Old Account
    Good timing for MMO champ to die for ArenaNet's fan day

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Good timing for MMO champ to die for ArenaNet's fan day
    lol Indeed! The long information drought is ended by a freaking torrential downpour, and we can't even access this thread!

Here's a brief list of links and videos to check out for people who aren't aware of them already! This is by no means comprehensive, just a few I thought were cool!

Jonathan Sharp Talks Underwater Combat

Into The Dungeons

PCGamer article on Underwater Combat

Nine things in Guild Wars 2 that you won't see in other MMOs

Getting to Know the Engineer - G4TV

Quote Originally Posted by G4TV
    There are other action MMORPGs on the horizon, like Tera, Dragon's Nest, and BioWare’s long awaited opus Star Wars: The Old Republic, as well as free-to-play MMOs that are out now, like Vindictus, that offer fast paced action and that graphically look quite spectacular, but Guild Wars 2 completely blows them out of the water.

And for people with reading allergies, somoe epic videos!

I didn't think it was possible, but I'm even more excited about this game than ever before!!!

Could we get a few of these links and videos added to the original post? Think it would really help get the hype train moving again!

Deleted
    Sweet! Made me wonder is the crypts below Divinity's Reach (book: Ghosts of Ascalon) would be in game.
    Would be epic.

Holy cow I love that underwater combat video. X_X
    Last edited by mmoc5b3bf16116; 2011-06-26 at 12:41 PM.

Oh, forgot to post a link to a load of new screenshots and some interesting photos of Arenanet's new awesome offices!

http://bsoltan.imgur.com/gw2_fan_day__gw2guru

Also, here's some interesting Q & A

What is the current transition from night to day? How long does each last?
    (Answered by Colin Johanson at the Fan Day dinner): Day and night cycle is currently two hours. 1:20 of daylight and 40 of night. Possibly will change before release.
    Is movement speed while weapons are unsheathed still being adjusted?
    A little bit. Something like speed will actually affect you while you're in combat, outside of combat it doesn't so that people can just run down the road really quickly. We're still playing on whether or not we want to keep it the same or adjust it. Right now it's the same.
    Does every profession have a different base amount for health and energy, or do they all have it the same? How do you determine these numbers?
    Yes, right now they all do have different intrinsic numbers. Every class can still adjust those numbers as they want, but they'll have different base numbers. For instance, a warrior will have a higher base HP than an elementalist would. We determine these a lot of times by the feel we want a class to have. Like a warrior should be a little more beefy and strong than an elementalist should be.
    The guardian wards are supposed to make your enemies think twice before approaching you, that is, to make them change their strategy. Most of the wards in the demo lasted a few seconds. Is combat so dynamic that such a short change on the battlefield can produce fruitful results? Can you please give us an example?
    Being able to throw down wards like that and things on the ground to control positions are very important because sometimes you can put those down, and someone else can then immobilize somebody inside of it so that they would take full damage. It is very powerful, but we're still playing with those numbers. We might increase the duration for a lot of those if we need to. Based on past demos I can't say that's exactly what we're going to ship with, so we'll have to see.
    Can Glue Shot be used to prevent knockdown, and could the oil slick skill be used to quickly slip through enemy lines?
    Right now what Oil Slick does is that it creates a line behind you and if anyone hits -their- knockdown, that's how it works right now, so it wouldn't necessarily help you through an enemy line. Right now Glue Shot just immobilizes people. The idea is that it would just keep people locked in that area.
    Are there any new and more diverse cross-profession combinations?
    We are coming up with some new skills that will actually really augment the skills that you have. So as the skills are augmented, for instance AoEs, it can help your allies because they're going to be stronger based on the traits that you have equipped to make your base skill stronger. We're actually putting in a lot more combos as we speak, though I can't go into detail because we haven't finalized some of the names for those yet.
    Can anyone else pick up the turrets the engineer lays such as with the warrior banners, or only the engineer that summoned them can do this?
    Only the engineer that summoned it can actually interact with it.
    Have there been any changes have been made to the thief's weapon skills, and their layout, as well as any additional traits and utility skills?
    Yes, there are a lot of changes that are in the works right now that you will not see in the current demo. We have a lot of things coming for the thief that are going to be changing.
    Outside of the bar brawls and other usual suspects (mini-games), are there any skills that are influenced by consumables such as alcohol as it is the case in GW1, or do these consumables just provide an attribute or other bonus?
    A lot of times consumables do give you attribute bonuses as well as buffs. You can get a lot of buffs. For instance, the engineer has a lot of elixirs and potions and things like this. We might have other activities down the road that will also use that system, but right now the bar brawl is the one that uses it chiefly.
    Outside of burning buildings and siege weapons, how are environmental objects such as buildings, trees, gates, etc. used in dynamic events? They won't always be in need of defense or repair or putting out, will they?
    Sometimes they can be destroyed so you'd have to repair those as well. Sometimes they can block the way and need to be blown up, sometimes you'll need to repair a bridge to be able to use it again. In World vs. World we have a lot of areas where most of the props can be destroyed - they can be knocked down, they can be repaired by the players. You can set up seige weapons to attack and then set up defensive seige weapons to defend against those as well. In events we sometimes have that, but not as extensive as in World vs. World.
    Will it be possible to change any pet's appearance, other than the animal companions?
    I believe you can change colors but I'm not sure what we're saying right now. I haven't played with the pets in a while.
    Is there anything else you'd like to add; anything the fans over at GW2Guru should know about the game?
    The biggest thing is that we are always iterating the game. Right now we have a lot of big plans to make some changes to some systems that we've talked about. Keep your eyes and ears open because we're making a lot of fundamental changes to things. The reason for this is that we're perfectionists and we want to iterate, we want the game to be fun for our players. So just keep giving the feedback, keep asking the questions because we really take those things into account as we're playing. If you're at a tradeshow, come up and talk to us, give us some ideas. We always love to hear what people have to say.
    Now the team composition for the tournament play is 5v5: Is it actually made more accessible from what it was in Guild Wars? What are the differences?
    One of the things that happened in Guild Wars is that essentially you had two things that were required at all times: primarily you needed a warrior, or somebody that could cause Deep Wound, and you needed a monk to keep that person alive. Then you'd basically establish a frontline, a backline, and then you would fill up your midline. In Guild Wars 2 that's not as important. We said before as a company that picking the right class is not what's important. Knowing how to play your class well, that's what's important. This really comes into play a lot in the PvP that we're doing internally. Somebody could have the perfect composition and not be as good as somebody in a thrown-together group with people that are really good with their position and really good with their class.That's much more important in Guild Wars 2. it's not about builds as much anymore. It's about how well you play your class.
    Can we talk a bit about objective-based PvP?
    Right now one of the primary things that we're testing is basically taking over conquest points or objectives and holding those and scoring based on how long you've held them. We'll have a lot of secondary objectives that flow throughout the map. I can't give any details yet but we want the game to feel fantastic. In this sense what I mean is that, for instance, you're seiging a castle. We want it to feel like you're really seiging a castle and moving through and taking different points and things like that. If you're fighting in an area, let's say it's an underwater area or it's the brand, we want it to feel like you're really underwater or in the brand or somewhere else, like a forest. We want it to really feel like a forest. We really want it to feel immersive, even when you're playing PvP. We're trying to make these competitive game types feel like you're actually role-playing these battles in these really cool areas.
    Other than the team death match, will there be any other free-for-all game mode?
    Our PvP is broken into two major types - World vs. World and competitive PvP. The competitive PvP is broken into two types as well. You have the competitive 5v5, which is where we jump in with our builds and challenge you. There's also more of a freestyle type. You can imagine a FPS where you just jump into a map and pick it up and play.
    One of the mechanics you've talked about for structured PvP are potion drops around the map, since the players have a set amount of potions. How are you progressing with this idea?
    Right now we are. It's one of those things that we are still looking at if it adds anything to the game. If it feels like it doesn't add enough to the game we might take it out but at this point it is still in.
    Are there any plans for introducing different maps for WvW, or will the outlook always remain the same for the four maps?
    The idea, right now, is that the four maps will be the same. We don't have any intentions right now of altering those maps. The reason for this is that because World vs. World is so big and expansive, we don't want new players to have to memorize four new maps every time. We want them to learn their home map and be comfortable with it and then travel to other maps and then become comfortable with those. We want to keep it consistent so that they players aren't overwhelmed.
    Is there underwater combat in PvP?
    There are plans for that but we aren't showing it right now. We do plan to add stuff later down the road.

Never mind mmo-champ, it was the whole curse network and I nearly had a heart attack thinking guru would be down on the open day!

Thanks for the two awesome posts Mothhive!

Yeah underwater just looks insanely awesome . . . I honestly can't think of another game that comes close. I know, we shouldn't compare with WoW, but does anyone look at GW2 underwater, and then at Vashir, and think . . .
    Of course we can't really judge until GW2 is released and we can try it. But still. It's kinda like the Charr running animation, where there is something for direct comparison with WoW (worgen, in that example).

Anyway, am not meaning to start hating on WoW, not least because I still like a lot of things about the game But just saying

Here's hoping we get a realease date sometime soon-ish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    I love these changes. Maybe it's because I've always valued utility and teamwork over my personal meter whoring, but the ability to pop Heart and step in for a dead healer/tank for 45s to save the day is Druidism at its finest IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDragon
    Technically dragon eating human is not cannibalism. It is misfortunate inconvinience.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapho View Post
    Here's hoping we get a realease date sometime soon-ish.
    Well, considering that underwater combat was thought to be one of the bigger things that was on the list of features yet to be shown, and now they've shown it working (and looking amazing at that), I'm definately feeling alot more postive about when the game will be released. While I'd love for it to come out this year, I still think it'll be 2012, but very early 2012.

After seeing the last few videos in this thread, I'm a bit disappointed. It kinda makes the game look ugly, with all those spell effects flying around. I liked GW for its clean, easily recognizeable effects, but now, especially the necro abilities just look like dark green/black clouds of stuff that fly around.

Deleted
    That female human (or whatever humanoid variation it is) has really dodgy running animations. Strafing looks absolutely dreadful, and I'm just not sold on the whole gradual halt animation - there's nothing wrong with just stopping still. It may only be a cosmetic issue, but you spend your entire time in an MMO running about, so that's the kind of thing which can really bug the hell out of you.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyMC89 View Post
    That female human (or whatever humanoid variation it is) has really dodgy running animations. Strafing looks absolutely dreadful, and I'm just not sold on the whole gradual halt animation - there's nothing wrong with just stopping still. It may only be a cosmetic issue, but you spend your entire time in an MMO running about, so that's the kind of thing which can really bug the hell out of you.
    sounds more like a personal problem

Underwater combat makes me wet. (get it?)

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Underwater combat makes me wet. (get it?)
    Whatever floats your boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Mothhive View Post
    Whatever floats your boat!
    I'm not holding my breath for a release date. (hurhurhurhur)

I'm not holding my breath for a release date. (hurhurhurhur)
    I'm sure the game will surface when it's ready!

Quote Originally Posted by Mothhive View Post
    I'm sure the game will surface when it's ready!
    I want it now though! I'm ready to dive in and start playing!

10+ Year Old Account
    Underwater combat and travelling looks positively jaw-droppingly stunning! I never imagined it could look so cool. And the thing with the changing skill bar, uhhhhhhhh sweet!

I want it now though! I'm ready to dive in and start playing!
    Me too, they've spearheaded an amazing MMO movement!

10+ Year Old Account
    So. Much. Pun.

Seriously though, can't wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    So. Much. Pun.

Seriously though, can't wait.
    Sorry, we seem to have gone off the deep end.

Sorry, we seem to have gone off the deep end.
    Now you're just getting salt in the wounds.