Yea, that's fine. I love the UI, interface and the look of everything in Tera. Even enjoyed the combat more than GW2. Tera felt slick.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Yea, that's fine. I love the UI, interface and the look of everything in Tera. Even enjoyed the combat more than GW2. Tera felt slick.
    Did you play a ranged?
    Not being able to do so much as auto attack while moving was a huge step back for a game boasting it's 'action combat'.
    It was nice how obvious they made attacks so you could dodge easily, and apparently melee was less terrible to play.. but after rolling a few ranged characters in the open beta I had no desire to play the game anymore.

Yar, I played all the classes in Tera before the betas ended.

I do feel they shouldn't have called Tera action combat. It isn't. Huge disservice to the game the way it is marketed and pitched.

Greatly enjoy the stop movement/attack style of Tera. More tactical and cerebral than twitch/action game-y. Keeping in mind I do not care overmuch for action-y games. So there will always be greater appeal for me in a more exacting combat system than things like console combat ala GW2. I actually hate that about WOW too- running all over the place while firing off attacks... -_-

Not that I dislike GW2, fairly fantastic aside from UI/customization. Tera was an overall more enjoyable and visually appealing game for me personally.

Indeed. It's not that I find Tera's combat bad, it's that the combat is nowhere near what I was expecting when I looked at how they had advertised it.
    Doing things like adding a targeting reticule and recommending the use of a console controller leads to the illusion of more action based combat, which it definitely was not.
    If the combat wasn't played up so much, I would not have been nearly as disappointed by the gameplay.
    I enjoyed kiting with the stop combat, but that was more due to nostalgia from RYL than enjoying the notactuallyactiony combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    Indeed. It's not that I find Tera's combat bad, it's that the combat is nowhere near what I was expecting when I looked at how they had advertised it.
    Doing things like adding a targeting reticule and recommending the use of a console controller leads to the illusion of more action based combat, which it definitely was not.
    If the combat wasn't played up so much, I would not have been nearly as disappointed by the gameplay.
    I enjoyed kiting with the stop combat, but that was more due to nostalgia from RYL than enjoying the notactuallyactiony combat.
    Yar, EME/BHS did a horrible job selling Tera. The game is very niche and will likely be a blunder in the long run because of the poor marketing.

Someone was saying recently- might have been on Reddit, I don't remember, that the biggest hurdle for GW2 was explaining the combat. I sorta disagree with that idea. The type of game that GW2 is more is clearly more populist and easily marketable than the sort of combat that is featured in Tera [or Aion]. There is a huge audience in the expanded MMO market of today who don't actually like MMOs traditionally speaking, and would like something more console-ish in feel. Which GW2 is certainly closer to than EQ.

I feel like if you put GW2 in front of Joe X-box he'll have an easier time grasping the game than if we placed Tera or Rift in front of Joe. To wit, I actually heard podcasts where people complained the latter two games were too confusing. So much so they gave up before L10 or whatever.

There is a market for that sort of vulgar gamer I think something more twitch/action orientated [truly so] can capture.

GW2 will be a big success because of it I think.

The marketing issue comes into effect when you consider the fact that with Tera having released earlier than GW2, and people (for some reason I still do not understand) believing GW2 is an asian MMO.. if GW2 tries to use combat as a selling point people will shrug it off as "Meh, I tried Tera's "action combat" and it was terrible."
    Hell, before going into Tera I expected it to be better than GW2's. I mean, SWTOR's main selling point was it's story and it was better than GW2's (though I prefer GW2's, personally) so it can only be assumed that Tera's main selling point of action combat would be more actiony than GW2's.
    Then again, most people still don't seem to understand that GW2 is trying to be a well rounded game and do a lot of things somewhat differently instead of one thing much differently.. so maybe that wouldn't be the case.
    I don't even know.

Either way, shouldn't be a problem after launch when people start to see more of the game.

Highly, highly doubt the Tera exposure [oh pun intended] is anywhere near as high as GW2. So that sort of sentiment you describe will probably be so small in % as to be worthless.

There are people who still don't know jack about Tera right now. As evidence by the lame/clueless new threads asking "Tera?" across various outlets. Most people don't know a goddamn thing about games, dude.

GW2 marketing I would say is bit more significant in the wider market than Tera.

GW2 marketing.
    Dat word of mouf, son!
    Too bad "telephone" is such a funny game to play.

Not solely word of mouth anymore though. I watch/view a lot of podcasts & sites. GW2 is receiving a bit more notice than it was year-6 months ago when it was mostly word of mouth driven.

Not solely word of mouth anymore though. I watch/view a lot of podcasts & sites. GW2 is receiving a bit more notice than it was year-6 months ago when it was mostly word of mouth driven.
    Ehh.. they themselves aren't advertising their game much, though.
    Besides games conventions, they themselves don't seem to be marketing the game much.
    They are depending on 1) word of mouth and 2) press opinions.
    I guess they're still advertising it more than most other MMOs, however, so my point doesn't make much sense. Not sure where I'm coming from. Want to just cuddle?

Deleted
    Ehh.. they themselves aren't advertising their game much, though.
    Besides games conventions, they themselves don't seem to be marketing the game much.
    They are depending on 1) word of mouth and 2) press opinions.
    I guess they're still advertising it more than most other MMOs, however, so my point doesn't make much sense. Not sure where I'm coming from. Want to just cuddle?
    Hope I'm not intruding here, but due to the social aspect on MMO's I found that many of them survive due to word of mouth and current players bringing in new players to the game. At least that seems to be the case in terms of longevity. I'd never seen an advert for WoW or looked properly at it's box before I started playing it, because a friend of a friend recommended it.

I think Guild Wars2, due to it's differences (namely the gem store) has a lot of people on the fence that will only actually go in (And market it to other people) after it's been proven and word of mouth starts working its charm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallanna View Post
    Hope I'm not intruding here, but due to the social aspect on MMO's I found that many of them survive due to word of mouth and current players bringing in new players to the game. At least that seems to be the case in terms of longevity. I'd never seen an advert for WoW or looked properly at it's box before I started playing it, because a friend of a friend recommended it.

I think Guild Wars2, due to it's differences (namely the gem store) has a lot of people on the fence that will only actually go in (And market it to other people) after it's been proven and word of mouth starts working its charm.
    Hate to be "that guy" but the problem that's happening is the people on the fence are remaining skeptical despite what word of mouth is saying about their beta experience. :P
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

If the gem store is what you're on the fence about, know that you can buy gems from other players through the game's auction/Trading Post system with gold, so you can get everything you might want without spending a cent on gems.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Hate to be "that guy" but the problem that's happening is the people on the fence are remaining skeptical despite what word of mouth is saying about their beta experience. :P
    Well I was trying to get to the ideas after release, pre-release... Considering the amount of unhappy people with a purchase that they have not researched... it might be better they stay on the fence.

I was thinking more in longevity, as I think perhaps post-release more people will actually try it and play it and decide on it. I seem to come across the argument that despite all these good opinions, since it has no release date and it's not out yet, people wish to remain sceptical to avoid... disappointment I suppose?

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    If the gem store is what you're on the fence about, know that you can buy gems from other players through the game's auction/Trading Post system with gold, so you can get everything you might want without spending a cent on gems.
    Also, I'm not on the fence at all, I'm loving and recommending the game in good faith as, as far as my understanding goes, this whole system is actually quite good. (Although I'm still not 200% convinced but It's not a deal breaker for me anyway).
    I was speaking more in general, for a lot of people, particularly due to stuff I've heard when speaking to people or lurking on forums.
    Last edited by mmocc0d2f81b97; 2012-05-02 at 05:44 PM.

The forums will remain in read-only mode for a few weeks.
    from Forum.guildwars2.com

Guess we know that the next BWE probably won't be in the next couple weeks. :P
    If there was going to be another BWE the weekend after next, they would probably say "until the next BWE" instead of "for the next few weeks", since there is no reason to keep them closed during a BWE.
    Anet tends to give vague answers if they aren't sure of something, and "closed for the next few weeks" is too specific.
    So.. 18th or 26th imo, gogo.

I hope it is the 18th. The 26th is Memorial Day weekend here in the US which for me means I'll be very busy.

Deleted
    from Forum.guildwars2.com

Guess we know that the next BWE probably won't be in the next couple weeks. :P
    If there was going to be another BWE the weekend after next, they would probably say "until the next BWE" instead of "for the next few weeks", since there is no reason to keep them closed during a BWE.
    Anet tends to give vague answers if they aren't sure of something, and "closed for the next few weeks" is too specific.
    So.. 18th or 26th imo, gogo.
    Personal guess for the 26th, I feel the 18th is not enough time.
    Oh wait, but 26th is a holiday weekend in the US and I didn't know. That might change everything. Maybe even early June?

Personal guess for the 26th, I feel the 18th is not enough time.
    Oh wait, but 26th is a holiday weekend in the US and I didn't know. That might change everything. Maybe even early June?
    They said they hoped for one per month, and they tend to try to avoid saying things that will bite them in the ass.

Deleted
    They said they hoped for one per month, and they tend to try to avoid saying things that will bite them in the ass.
    But also, from their twitter:
    We do not have a date for BWE2 at this point. The BWE goal is *roughly* once a month, but subject to change. ~RB2
    https://twitter.com/#!/GuildWars2/st...02181275701248

I'm pretty sure the whole once a month was also mentioned in the official forums and they bolded the part that says Subject to change.

They seem to be covering their ass pretty nicely tbh.
    I would like it to be soon - mainly because I'd also love if they released the game in June or July - but at the moment I'm trying to keep my hopes in check.

Summer is usually a bad time to release games. The end of August or September is the earliest I expect a release.