Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Any particular reason why you are re rolling a different race with the same profession?
    Aesthetics mostly. Turns out I hate basically every light armor set for Asura. Meanwhile, it's really difficult to find light armor that doesn't look amazing on a human female. Plus, since I want an Asuran thief I figured I may as well just remake the one I have with the same name/appearance, just different class.

The leveling process is of no consequence, I love leveling and it goes by quickly. Only real downside is losing two 400 crafting professions, but like I said, hopefully I can find a guide to level them up again as cheaply as possible. I do wish karma were account bound though, I've no idea what to spend 16,500 of it on that'll be useful.

Why not make a necromancer or mesmer? Or do you not like those professions?

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Why not make a necromancer or mesmer? Or do you not like those professions?
    Already have them both. Level 80 Sylvari necro, level 50 Charr mesmer. :P

I'd use the karma to get obsidian shards.

Artificing and JC are the two cheapest proffesions afaik. Most profs average at around 8-10g while art only cost me 6g and jc was also around 8g.
    http://pwniversity.com/guide/gw2-artificer-guide has a good way of boosting your crafts, it hasn't been updated since the method remains the same but prices have changed so you may want to check what components actually are cheapest. It will look like this method costs you a lot more but keep in mind that everything you gather can now be sold.

So cute. I love it.

Shameful parenting AKA How I obtained my unbreakable choir bell

My 6 year old son has been playing Guild War 2 casually since the beta weekends. I actually made a few Tyria with Tots youtube videos to capture his hilarious reactions to playing the game.

Well today he was playing and he called me over as he usually does to help him clear out his inventory, which was full. So I went over....sell junk....vendor...vendor...vendor....salvage...vendor...etc. As I got to the end of his inventory, my eyes grew wide as saucers. Sitting there was the Unbreakable Choir Bell. I blinked in disbelief. I knew he liked going after the Wintersday present boxes, but he couldn't have gotten more than a dozen or two presents in the time he had been playing.

I couldn't believe his luck. So I did what any respectable father would do: I swallowed nervously as a bead of sweat rolled down my cheek and said, "Son, can you let Daddy sit down for a second please?" He complied. "See this bell you got? It does the same thing as these other bells you have, but it never runs out. Can Daddy trade you some mini pets and a gold piece for it?"

He said "Sure!" and I quickly transferred the bell over to one of my characters. I completed the transaction by giving him a few mini pets and the gold I had promised. But my son is sharp and noticed how enthusiastic I was. And even though he is only 6 he said, "Dad, can you at least tell me how much gold that bell is really worth?"

HA! Needless to say, I had to promise to buy him more pets, weapons, armor, etc. whenever he asks for something.

Smart kid.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/c...i_obtained_my/

I'm not sure I like the fact that young children play games like GW2. I respect the teen-rating 13+
    Last edited by Maarius; 2013-01-02 at 08:35 PM.

I agree Maarius. I don't care as long as it doesn't have an effect on me (choir bells /shrug) but being in dungeons or pvp with kids just won't be fun for me.

I'm sure the 8 year old is as indistinguishable from the other 18-35 year olds pressing 1.

Back in BC, there was an 11 year old girl playing a Fire Mage. Schooled half our raid, regularily, even when she had to be the "scorch bitch" on top of it all. It's not a culture for everyone, but given how "adults" act in these situations, kids are often more mature and able to actually handle something than the morons we're left with spamming Map/Trade/Whatever.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

That's awesome, I need to figure out some way to exploit my younger half brothers into getting video game shit for me...but all they seem to play is XBox...
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    I'd use the karma to get obsidian shards.
    What are Obsidian Shards? o_O

Artificing and JC are the two cheapest proffesions afaik. Most profs average at around 8-10g while art only cost me 6g and jc was also around 8g.
    http://pwniversity.com/guide/gw2-artificer-guide has a good way of boosting your crafts, it hasn't been updated since the method remains the same but prices have changed so you may want to check what components actually are cheapest. It will look like this method costs you a lot more but keep in mind that everything you gather can now be sold.
    Thanks. I'm glad that guide suggests buying inscriptions. I made the mistake of making them myself the first time around only to discover (when first starting) I could have bought them already made for as little as 5c each and sold the individual components for 30c each. -_-

Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    I'm not sure I like the fact that young children play games like GW2. I respect the teen-rating 13+
    Unless someone tells me how old they are I never know. This generation that's grown up on texting has got to be some of the worst. The broken English, poor grammar, and typical shortcuts just make me assume they're a kid and more often than not they're college age.

As for the actual content, I don't see what's in GW2 that's so inappropriate. I would have argued that WoW was no place for a kid due to the populace, but I haven't seen that GW2 has the same problem or at least not to the same degree. I remember playing games like Slaughterhouse when I was a kid, which was far more scary/gory. GW2 looks like a Disney ride in comparison.

Obsidian shards are used to make stuff like Legendaries in the mystic forge. You can buy them at the karma vendor at the Temple of Balthazar (assuming your server has it under control).

To me it's not about the content they get to see, it's more about reactions to what people say. As adults we sometimes have problems putting things into perspective.
    Add to this the "excitement" from sPvP or dungeons (especially when they go bad) and kids are being insulted directly and this can hurt them in the long run.

Innuendo etc usually goes over their heads so that's not really an issue, if they are old enough to get the joke they're old enough to hear it.

this kid was six years old... you would let your six year old chat with people in the internet? Without being there?

this kid was six years old... you would let your six year old chat with people in the internet? Without being there?
    If I had my way, I wouldn't let anyone without a fully developed adult brain online without supervision. ;P However, aren't game ratings usually in place due to actual game content (blood splatter, skimpy armor, etc.) and not the social aspect of it? If we're speaking solely about the interaction with others and not the game itself then, yeah, I wouldn't let a child play unless at the very least I disabled all incoming and outgoing chatting.

https://www.esrb.org/ratings/synopsi...d=guild+wars+2

Includes online features that may expose players to unrated user-generated content (Windows PC)
    +all the stuff that isn't appropriate for six-year olds
    Skirmishes depict enemies getting shot by arrows, slashed by swords, lit on fire, or struck down by lightning bolts; some underwater attacks result in blood-cloud effects, and stylized blood effects are sometimes depicted in cutscenes. Some sequence depict alcohol use: players can earn achievements by consuming alcoholic drinks—the screen appears blurry to denote drunkenness; in a “drinking competition” mini-game, characters drink ale from mugs—the sequence ends when a challenger's health reaches zero. The words “a*s” and “bastard” can be heard in the dialogue.

I played Mortal Kombat and Doom when I was 6 and I grew up to be a healthy adult. I don't think there's anything in GW2 that could even remotely harm a kid... Is there?

Quote Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
    I played Mortal Kombat and Doom when I was 6 and I grew up to be a healthy adult. I don't think there's anything in GW2 that could even remotely harm a kid... Is there?
    and for a fact I know someone who watched the movie Ghostbusters as a child and had nightmares quite a while after that. Don't judge others by your own standards. We're not all the same.

My 8 year old nephew has his own facebook and cellphone. He sends me texts sometimes. It's super cute.

15+ Year Old Account
    and for a fact I know someone who watched the movie Ghostbusters as a child and had nightmares quite a while after that. Don't judge others by your own standards. We're not all the same.
    I can't help but say the same to you. Everyone is their own unique person and reacts differently to everything. If this person(the guy who lets his 6 year old play gw2) is comfortable letting his son playing it, who are you to say its wrong? I never did understand people always replying to stuff like this with "Omg I would never let my child do x, y and z" Well congratulations to you...you aren't the parent of that child and have no say in their life.