10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    the map was littered with events that are too difficult to solo or duo, which also made map completion way more difficult than necessary.
    You realize that this is like complaining that you couldn't solo or duo the Lich King when it was current, right?
    Orr was never meant to be a solo endeavor. They were crystal clear about that before the game even launched.
    Valar morghulis

the map [of Orr] was littered with events that are too difficult to solo or duo
    Working as intended...Orr's not meant to be a walk in the park, it's designed (and advertised) to be a constant war front between us and the undead.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

malchors leap was pretty barren of players on my server (probably all servers) as well. I just made sure I had speed boosts, shields and reflec skills, and condition removal (plus stun breakers) for my utility skills. That all served me pretty well getting through Orr for the map completion (and this was before they nerfed the areas). Trying to fight through everything solo is the wrong tactic in my opinion.

Okay, first of all, I don't see how you can compare an instanced raid to outside world events, the two aren't even remotely similar. Secondly, while Orr might not be designed to be a "walk in the park" the problem is no one is walking in that park in the first place. As I mentioned, if people were actually doing the temples so that they weren't contested 99% of the time that would make a big difference in how difficult traversing the map is. Likewise, 3/4 of the waypoints wouldn't almost always be contested (the 2 non-contested ones they added were not sufficient) and nearly every town point of interest wouldn't involve rushing into dozens of enemies because there's no one around to clear them out on an even semi-regular basis.

It's not as if Orr is obsolete content. As it is, the rewards aren't worth people bothering to do the DEs and the DEs are scaled too highly for small groups. The result is a relatively barren zone (except for camp farming, which is also slowly dying out) that few people bother with except for map completion. So, as I stated, it is unnecessarily difficult given the circumstances.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, that's pretty much what you're talking about with cleansing Corrupted God Temples.

It sounds like you want other players to do the work so you can waltz in at your leisure and get your map objectives.

Join a guild, organize a group, or continue to try to solo/duo and smack your face against a wall.

/shrug
    Valar morghulis

as it is, temples aren't rewarding enough for the effort/time required, which is why zergs tend to ignore them completely.
    then again, i find orr just boring and i tend to ignore it as soon as i finish my exploration there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just found out that you don't even get a laurel every day - finished the daily with a Lvl 18 thief yesterday instead of my 80 warrior. Got a better salvage kit instead. If I had known before... just changed characters to spend karma points with a character that needs to spend some points.
    Sing like no one is listening - Love like you've never been hurt
    Dance like no one is watching - Masturbate like no one else is on the bus

Quote Originally Posted by Rhywolver View Post
    Just found out that you don't even get a laurel every day - finished the daily with a Lvl 18 thief yesterday instead of my 80 warrior. Got a better salvage kit instead. If I had known before... just changed characters to spend karma points with a character that needs to spend some points.
    I have been getting them with my 35 warrior so there must be some level cut off.

@lane
    A good and easy way of getting to POI/Vista/Skillpoints without having to wade through enemies is running like mad. When you get into trouble go to char selection screen and log back in, agro will have reset and your hp will be maxed again.

Now for skillpoints on their own. Most "hard" ones are being guarded by vets get an ash legion spy kit, run up to the "commune" thing use the kit and channel away.
    Normally most challenge skillpoints can be tricked by using vertical distance to avoid being hit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Well, that's pretty much what you're talking about with cleansing Corrupted God Temples.

It sounds like you want other players to do the work so you can waltz in at your leisure and get your map objectives.

Join a guild, organize a group, or continue to try to solo/duo and smack your face against a wall.

/shrug
    It doesn't sound like that all why are you implying she's looking for a boost. She's already said she went in with a friend and they failed. Keep to the pr spin you're better at that.
    I'm frustrated I can't get to play due to my job (wow) taking up my free time I have been quite enjoying it and was looking forward to some of the later zones.

Does anyone know if the servers are down?

I started playing the game again last night, patched it all up to date and messed about on my lowbie Engineer. Now i'm getting a "Guild Wars has encounted an error, can't connect to server due to firewall or router settings" warning when I hit login.

Just typical that I want to play the game again and can't get online :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zaxlor View Post

I started playing the game again last night, patched it all up to date and messed about on my lowbie Engineer. Now i'm getting a "Guild Wars has encounted an error, can't connect to server due to firewall or router settings" warning when I hit login.

They have to be, indeed. I'm getting the same issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravlon View Post
    They have to be, indeed. I'm getting the same issue.
    I think their whole website is down too. I accidently over-typed my password and can't remember what it is. Went to try and re-cover it and even the password recovery website is giving an error.

The Gods are clearly against me playing this :P

Quote Originally Posted by zaxlor View Post

ANet is aware of the issue and are working on it according to their Twitter account.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    I'm frustrated I can't get to play due to my job (wow) taking up my free time
    When I quit WOW it also started feeling like a job

Well, I'm going to hate on Orr again. :P Maybe I'm being paranoid, but it really feels like they stealth-buffed it since the patch. I'm not talking about events either. Map completion is back to being a royal pain in the ass. Died so many times along with someone else I'd grouped with to get it done.
    You're not the only one who feels this way.

I went to get the Orr zones done on my Mesmer on Saturday and geez a lot of things were buffed to the extreme side. There seems to be Vet and Champ (non event related) mobs all over the place now, and none are either soloable or able to be stealthed around like they were before the patch.

I noticed as well that the aggro range on mobs was widened quite a bit. Especially on the caster mobs which is now close to 3 times as wide as others, and they are always attached to at least 1 other that is not even remotely close. Get 2 undead casters with their new 'fun' mechanics that are hard to avoid at times (which hit for 5-6k even with 2k toughness), and I was eating dirt quite often.
    It also may just be my imagination, but there seems to be more mobs again in all the Orr zones and they are packed much closer together.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    It doesn't sound like that all why are you implying she's looking for a boost. She's already said she went in with a friend and they failed. Keep to the pr spin you're better at that.
    She sure did, dray.

Only managed to get Grenth because we were "lucky" that people were actually doing the event when we went over there, but even then trying to get the skill point while the Grenth fight is happening also resulted in a lot of unhappy moments.
    She doesn't want to help cleanse a temple, she even tried to get her map objective while the encounter was underway - and complained about that! She clearly wants to go in after someone has done all the work.

The web of event chains in Orr is pretty complex compared to other zones. Even after cleansing a temple they have only a short window that they stay uncontested. After the temples fall it starts to domino fairly rapidly until the entire zone is contested with mob density becoming thicker as more events fail and more waypoints are contested. It takes a concerted, coordinated effort to keep things clear by significantly more than 2 players.

Maybe you should stick to talking about things you know about.
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Gadgette View Post
    There seems to be Vet and Champ (non event related) mobs all over the place now, and none are either soloable or able to be stealthed around like they were before the patch.
    I definitely would not have been able to do map completion alone and one reason was because of the champions. We would have to take turns luring one away so the other could commune with a skillpoint. The worst was that Champion Risen Knight in Malchor's Leap, which aggroed onto us whenever we attacked the veteran in front of the skill point.

I noticed as well that the aggro range on mobs was widened quite a bit. Especially on the caster mobs which is now close to 3 times as wide as others, and they are always attached to at least 1 other that is not even remotely close.
    Yes! Acolytes were aggroing onto us from half a screen away, it was very WTF.

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    She doesn't want to help cleanse a temple, she even tried to get her map objective while the encounter was underway - and complained about that! She clearly wants to go in after someone has done all the work.
    I wasn't going to respond to you since you obviously chose to read what you wanted from my posts and jump to conclusions, but let me clarify:

We went for the skill point while the encounter was underway because they'd been spamming "need more at Grenth" for the past 15-20 minutes. Additionally, whenever I've been out in Cursed Shores farming they're never able to take Grenth because of lack of interested people. I knew it was only a matter of time. I was more concerned about the pathway to the waypoint (the hardest part of that area IMO) being cleared. Once we did get the map objectives we did engage in the fight, but as I suspected it failed due to too few people. So my call was the right one. (Incidentally, it's interesting Meledelion mentions those Ash Legion kits, because there was someone else doing the skillpoint while we were and he was able to stealth and get it without issue. I was wondering how he did that. :P)

Also, the reason I know why most of the DEs in Orr aren't soloable or duoable? Is because I've tried it. Unless you've been completely ignoring everything I've ever written since day 1 you'd know I love DEs and I even love soloing them because it's one of the few ways I can 'test my mettle'. So, yes, I was extremely disappointed to discover most are too difficult for that, in fact, most are too difficult for even 3-4 people. Yes, contrary to your assumptions I have actually tried to get some of these things done with others, it's just not enough in many cases and barely enough in others.

I also participated in the Temple of Lyssa because amazingly people were actually doing it for the first time I'd ever seen. I'd tried doing it in the past but, again, it can't be done with a small group. Likewise with Balthazar, when it was uncontested on my server it was literally only because people had organized on the forums to guest onto my server to get it done and at the time it was the only uncontested Balthazar among all US servers, so that should say something as well. It was the single only time I've been able to successfully participate in that event as well.

Whether or not you want to argue Orr is "working as intended" doesn't change the fact that what they intended isn't enticing to most of their playerbase and due to how it's laid out that's a problem.

Once we did get the map objectives we did engage in the fight, but as I suspected it failed due to too few people. So my call was the right one. (Incidentally, it's interesting Meledelion mentions those Ash Legion kits, because there was someone else doing the skillpoint while we were and he was able to stealth and get it without issue. I was wondering how he did that. :P)
    That's actually an easier fight with fewer people. As long as they know what they are doing.

On a slightly different tact, someone posted a link here to a server specifically for the Orr events. Sort of guest there and people will be doing the events. Alternatively if you are in the EU then you can guest yo Aurora Glade as we often have it down. It's take down on most nights at least once.

Whether or not you want to argue Orr is "working as intended" doesn't change the fact that what they intended isn't enticing to most of their playerbase and due to how it's laid out that's a problem.
    When I first got to Orr, I also battled a bit. I did most of my play up until that level solo and it took a while to get completion on those zones because I had to wait for a group to run the events through. Didn't have too much trouble with Grenth because we took it down a couple of times while I was clearing the zone.

My server has gotten a lot busier with things like Grenth over the last month or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    That's actually an easier fight with fewer people. As long as they know what they are doing.
    I don't think many people do given the complaints I see in /map during and post event. It was the first time for my friend and I. All I knew is it's apparently a love it or hate it encounter. You either love the mechanics of it or think it's a pain in the ass and not worth the effort. I'm not sure how many people were there when we arrived, but at least half of them were dead. When the event failed I think there were maybe 5 people still bothering, everyone else had either left or was waiting for a res.

On a slightly different tact, someone posted a link here to a server specifically for the Orr events. Sort of guest there and people will be doing the events.
    I'd forgotten about that. I think it's Tarnished Coast for US, but I'm not sure.