I tend to listen to the gamebreaker shows while I'm playing a game.

Edit: as an aside, I blame Gary from that website (and my impulsiveness) on me getting Simcity. It looked a lot of fun on his live stream so I got it. Was able to play it for a few minutes after I installed it (it was late at night so not much traffic on the servers) but ever since then I can't get into play. First the servers are full (ffs a single player game) and then today a never ending update that will never patch.

EA sucks
    Last edited by Valeron; 2013-03-06 at 11:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I tend to listen to the gamebreaker shows while I'm playing a game.
    Well, I don't watch too many of their shows regularly. Just the ones that seem interesting. So if Lore has badmouthed GW2 in the past I am ignorant of such a thing. Though I haven't heard anything too harsh about GW2 from Lore myself.

Again, I just thought it was an interesting topic. Not really a Mike S/Lore thing.

well to be fair, he doesn't really bad mouth it per say, just misinforms

Seeing as how I still haven't figured out how "aggro" works in GW2 I'd also lean towards "chaotic". I've mentioned this before, but there have been times I've hit a champion once and it stayed on me no matter what until I was downed. I quit attacking when it appears I have "aggro" out of habit so even not doing anything past the initial hit this would happen. Plus, many, many times I'm doing an event and I know for a fact there's no way in Hell I'm anywhere near top DPS because I have gimp gear/build, I still get things on me that are near impossible to shake.

There just doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to mobs attacking you so, yeah, I consider that "chaotic". I've also had encounters where resing people is enough to get "aggro" for the rest of the fight, so while I would normally assume that's some kind of "healer aggro" I have no idea in this game.

Somewhat related, I do think the healing in GW2 is too weak in many cases. Using the examples above of simply being unable to shake "aggro" there just isn't enough healing or endurance to get you out of it. You can only dodge so many times, it's not like it's an unlimited resource. Very few classes have "aggro dumps" either, so basically you can try all you might but inevitably the only way you're ultimately going to get something to leave you alone is to get downed and even that's not enough sometimes. I still see people "tanking" while in downed status.

Having said that, I'm not a fan of the trinity either. I'd really like to know what non-MMO RPGs that one guy plays where he still sets up his characters in a trinity because I never do that. I almost always set up my parties as groups of hybrids. Likewise, in WoW I almost exclusively played hybrids. I like being self-sufficient and not being SOL when one of your dedicated/role-specific people hits the dust because they're so fine-tuned into one area that they can't handle anything else.

Which is just as annoying/hazardous.

I get that for new players content may seem chaotic but by the time you did all AC paths you should've gotten used to it.
    IMO it's due to a lot of people coming from WoW which is a static hit buttons, don't think play style (for 80% of the raid) and now all of a sudden it's on you.

It was quite clear in WoW who were the people with bad reactions but they still got to do the content since others were shouting out what to do (spread, stack, kite,...) which isn't possible any more.

Agro isn't chaotic at all, there are a certain amounts of tests which are taken into account depending on the type of mobs (this makes it looks random) proximity, armor level, dmg are the most important ones. The weight of them hasn't been determined but it looks like (in most cases) it is armor>proximity>dmg.
    Last edited by Meledelion; 2013-03-07 at 12:17 AM.

Deleted
    Finally getting on this train, just waiting for my dd-activation key to arrive! Ants in the pants.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Pretty good discussion here on Gamebreaker Afterdark about the Holy Trinity of class design in MMOs.

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/video-game...esports-ad-23/

Specifically some interesting POV as to the feeling GW2 classes are basically "DPS with options" and the "chaos" of dungeons.

Conversation begins around 15 mins in or so, iirc.
    more or less agree about the chaotic feeling of fights in gw2, pretty much disagree how hotbar MMOs would usually work better with a trinity.
    what anet may have done wrong in gw2 though is not allowing deeper "specialization" while keeping them non mandatory to clear game content.

what i liked more of all things they discussed was more about the crafting stuff, since i'm of those who wished gw2 had a more "social" side à la Eve Online (dunno shit about SW:G) where becoming a master crafter/trader could actually be an "endgame" goal, sort of... well let's say i wised crafting wasn't just a "leisure" activity in the game and i may have liked it if for instance we didn't get any more gear drops but instead only mats which you could just sell or use to craft your gear. that alone may have given a deeper meaning to crafting and player communities (like how we used to know the "best" crafters in vanilla as we needed them at some point to craft/enchant our stuff).

Meanwhile, after a half-year, ArenaNet still struggles with childhood diseases:

http://goo.gl/ExIC2

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    Meanwhile, after a half-year, ArenaNet still struggles with childhood diseases:

http://goo.gl/ExIC2
    meanwhile, after dozens of bans because of trolling, Tackhisis is back again doing what he always did...

Apparently they've started doing "flash sales" on Twitter. Found out about that yesterday when I just happened to look at the gem store tab to see BLSKs on sale for 50% off, but only in limited quantity. I begrudgingly made a Twitter account just for this on the very off chance they'll ever put something I actually want on sale.

So far the daily March sales are sucking. Apparently it's the 31-day sale of town clothes and other useless items. -_-
    Last edited by Lane; 2013-03-08 at 09:10 AM.

I placed an order for 80 rare staves and going to gamble for precursor. Cost me 20 gold which is all my money but hey might as well..

If you get a precursor you're terribly lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    If you get a precursor you're terribly lucky.
    rofl i know, and then i rub it in yalls faces

Be funny like me, buy some precursors and join a fotm. Whenever you loot a chest link a different precursor

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    I placed an order for 80 rare staves and going to gamble for precursor. Cost me 20 gold which is all my money but hey might as well..
    I wish you all the luck in the world my friend! I would't have recommended gambling though. I don't know what your luck in games is, but for me at least it's quite awful. So I'm saving up all my money to just buy mine. Currently need only 240g haha!

Anyway wishing you luck once again!

Deleted
    I've got a question. I bought GW2 few months ago and I played every profession back then, leaving them at around lvl 10 and 1 at 20. But now, I think about it again and it feels like a lot of time on leveling those characters. How long does it take approximate to lvl to max?

Well, to me leveling to 10 or even 20 is nothing. I could manage 10 in half an hour.

People's play times vary. I could get an 80 in less than a week for sure and that's being generous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greened View Post
    I've got a question. I bought GW2 few months ago and I played every profession back then, leaving them at around lvl 10 and 1 at 20. But now, I think about it again and it feels like a lot of time on leveling those characters. How long does it take approximate to lvl to max?
    If you really hate leveling, you can craft your way to 80 within a couple hours if you don't mind throwing a bit of gold at it. Each craft earns ~10 levels and you can learn all 8 crafts on 1 toon.

Here's a dynamic guide (tied to the Trading Post to show whether it's cheaper to purchase the base components or craft them)
    http://gw2crafts.net/

Otherwise focus on dynamic events and make sure to use xp buff food.
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Greened View Post
    Leveling to max is fairly slow. Maybe /played 4 or 5 days for casual play I guesstimate.

Leveling to me seems pretty darn fast. Or it could be that I don't really notice the leveling.

If someone complains about slow leveling in modern mmos should play Lineage 2 for a bit.