Right they have some good ideas. Sending mats to the collectable bank is fantastic. But on some other features it is just bare bones or nonexistent. It puzzles me really, especially when you see them respond to suggestions of putting those features in with surprise. They don't seem to be in touch with the players at times.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Right they have some good ideas. Sending mats to the collectable bank is fantastic. But on some other features it is just bare bones or nonexistent. It puzzles me really, especially when you see them respond to suggestions of putting those features in with surprise. They don't seem to be in touch with the players at times.
    Other than a more appropriate LFG feature, I'd honestly be curious to see these examples the collective you keeps mentioning like this. I haven't really found anything to be a problem, though I am quick to notice similar issues in most other games.

Perhaps this applis entirely to PvP settings? I still haven't really done that in this game. I haven't run across anything aside from group formation that hinders me in any way while playing the game.
    BAD WOLF

LFG tools, UI customization (which is odd since GW1 was great at this), trade post functional elements such as being able to separate armor classifications, mini-pets as we have already discussed, and give me more time and I'll think of a ton of others

now granted, most of those are just quality of life improvements but other games have them. Can definitely play the game without all of those but I feel the game is not as refined as it should be

10+ Year Old Account
    LFG tools, UI customization (which is odd since GW1 was great at this), trade post functional elements such as being able to separate armor classifications, mini-pets as we have already discussed, and give me more time and I'll think of a ton of others

now granted, most of those are just quality of life improvements but other games have them. Can definitely play the game without all of those but I feel the game is not as refined as it should be
    So yes, the AH functionality is crap. So there's 2, but the UI is pretty simplistic. Not sure why it needs to be customized tbh. Most games it is utterly jarring and complete crap without an editor, but this game has a pretty minimal UI. Other than scaling to see more pretties...this is the kinda thing I would attribute to being overly critical.

I'm a huge advocate of giving personal preference into the user's hands, but I don't see how it's such an alarming thing in this particular game. I guess maybe we've just grown accustomed to always being able to control UIs so we feel it's missing if we can't? Idk.
    BAD WOLF

I feel UI customization is extremely overrated. I actually prefer to have a nice UI that is the same for everyone instead of the dogs breakfast you see in WoW.
    Also, here's an interesting Reddit thread about possible future gem store items in the next update.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    I'm a huge advocate of giving personal preference into the user's hands, but I don't see how it's such an alarming thing in this particular game. I guess maybe we've just grown accustomed to always being able to control UIs so we feel it's missing if we can't? Idk.
    GW1 was not "great" at UI customization, but it did realize "You know, maybe some of these aren't in the most intuitive spots for you, feel free to fix it as you see fit". So, ignoring the requests for open-ended mod'ability, not even having the ability to resize individual aspects or move them around the screen is a major step back (especially from GW1).

Why does it need to be customized you ask? You want a UI that can show you all that you need to know in the shortest amount of time so you can spend most of your time watching the actual screen (kind of like one of the design goals and their manifesto). With how small the Conditions are in their tracker (and that the order shifts around), in a small corner, I have to stare down there to see if I have to cleanse poison/confusion rather than have it up close next to my character for instant info turnaround. Couple that with where I need to monitor which buffs the enemy has at the top of the screen, the score/scoring mechanics/progress bar...

It's a lot of looking around a lot of space to get barebones info. There's no reason I shouldn't be allowed to resize and move certain elements already included in the game.

---------- Post added 2013-05-02 at 09:19 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    I feel UI customization is extremely overrated. I actually prefer to have a nice UI that is the same for everyone instead of the dogs breakfast you see in WoW.
    Also, here's an interesting Reddit thread about possible future gem store items in the next update.
    GW1 had better UI customization. You could pick up and drag any element, move it to where you want, and resize it as you saw fit.

Why is this demonized as well?
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Deleted
    They have a standard UI due to their e-sport aspirations, though given the PvP is as poorly designed as the PvE & WvW, the chances of it becoming an e-sport are zero, so they may as well add UI customization for their remaining target market of Hello Kitty fans.
    Last edited by mmoc1f2ad58cb4; 2013-05-02 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zurgs View Post
    They have a standard UI due to their e-sport aspirations, though given the PvP is as poorly designed as the PvE & WvW the chances of it becoming an e-sport are zero, so they may as well add UI customization for their remaining target market of Hello Kitty fans.
    Oh hello, I think I saw an insult or two there. Maybe you should get back to Panda Forums.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    It's a lot of looking around a lot of space to get barebones info. There's no reason I shouldn't be allowed to resize and move certain elements already included in the game.
    I never said there's a justification, I just don't personally see the need where I do in just about every other game (which is opinionated).

Good points regarding some things, but some of it comes down to what is good design. From the sounds of it, you want larger and moveable buffs/debuffs (which is valid), but it also speaks to your desire to cram everything at the bottom of the screen (or wherever) like most people do in MMOs.

That's really a tired design concept that tunnels you out of the viewport for the game and into the UI as your main focal point. I wouldn't really expect them to have made it differently. Also considering that progress is tracked by more than a bar that fills up and instead gives audio and large visual cues when you have accomplished something, it speaks to the design of the game. They wanted people playing, experiencing dynamic events, and not checking off a grocery list. Having the UI the way you want to customize it is partially contradictory to that design principle.

Now, none of that is to say you shouldn't be allowed to change it as you wish. Like I said, I support putting customization in the users hands as it will allow them to please themselves rather than to be dissatisfied with your design. Just giving a little in depth explanation of why it's like that in the first place.

And to play Devil's advocate, you could really drill into every aspect of the game as to why a user should have more control because it's 'not as intuitive' to them. "The class abilities and weapon swapping don't work for me, give me the option to just choose my spells on my bar regardless of my weapon" You might think these are completely unrelated ideas, but they all contribute to how they designed the game.

Summary: Valid points, user customization is normally a good thing (especially UIs), but there are reasons beyond incompetence why things are the way they are.
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    Oh hello, I think I saw an insult or two there. Maybe you should get back to Panda Forums.
    I don't play WoW, if you can't cope with differing opinions, then perhaps you should avoid public forums.

I don't think I've ever seen a positive comment from you about the game zurgs. Not that you are obligated too but usually will post some positive stuff in a game they play.

Deleted
    I don't think I've ever seen a positive comment from you about the game zurgs. Not that you are obligated too but usually will post some positive stuff in a game they play.
    Just for you, my likes from a likes / dislikes thread, see 'positive' comments on the game.

- Nice large world (cities are especially nice)
    - No mounts
    - combat system (very fluid, makes many MMOs seem very static, very slow paced)
    - Some of aspects of UI (the whole depoisting resources, right click items into TP, speeded up crafting, etc), could do with a bit more leeway in customisation, but I guess as their original intent was e-sport that is the reason for this.
    - No addons (fed up of games that take zero skill and where addons play the game for players)
    - No macros. (see point above)
    - Relatively grind free.
    - Jumping puzzles.
    - That the instantced PvP has normalized gear, somethign that evey good PvP game has (MOBAs, FPS, RTS, etc).

ah well there you go

I think it's more to do with the internal design culture. All the Guild Wars games strive to have the gameplay upfront & center. There is a spirit of minimalism in the series. Which is fine but does lead to an almost spartan sense of functionality at times or bare bones as said.

Anet are definitely a developer that has historically marched to the beat of their own drum. I can tell an Anet game in feel, logic, control and gameplay instantly. Their design is pretty unique in feel.

It's like Funcom to me. Funcom have maddeningly interesting ideas in their games. And they sorta work- Age of Conan, Secret World, AO. Good stuff. Yet there is always some sort of technical or esoteric decision making in their design that lends a distinct if not always totally satisfying play experience.

Both devs make interesting games just left of center.

At least Anet have nailed the crucial point of gameplay time and again.

Deleted
    Could someone do me favor and tell collectors edition custom art frame size? I still haven't put those on the wall even tho I have empty white space waiting. Today I could visit shop where I can get frames, but alas I forgot to measure CE art-print / frame before leaving the house (at work now).
    Last edited by mmoce60d2079f6; 2013-05-03 at 05:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I think it's more to do with the internal design culture. All the Guild Wars games strive to have the gameplay upfront & center. There is a spirit of minimalism in the series. Which is fine but does lead to an almost spartan sense of functionality at times or bare bones as said.

Anet are definitely a developer that has historically marched to the beat of their own drum. I can tell an Anet game in feel, logic, control and gameplay instantly. Their design is pretty unique in feel.

It's like Funcom to me. Funcom have maddeningly interesting ideas in their games. And they sorta work- Age of Conan, Secret World, AO. Good stuff. Yet there is always some sort of technical or esoteric decision making in their design that lends a distinct if not always totally satisfying play experience.

Both devs make interesting games just left of center.

At least Anet have nailed the crucial point of gameplay time and again.
    I found TSW to be a great idea, with some very interesting things in it, but the whole game didn't have the "production quality," which makes or breaks MMOs for me. As I understand it, is AOC the same.

If those notes are what is to be expected from the gemstore next update then I guess i'll have to buy some gems. Lots of good stuff (for me at least.) Also, "Get packed for the return to Southsun Cove." I'm guessing they're finally adding something useful to that place next patch? Maybe the next living story has something to do with the refugees on Southsun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Exroyal View Post
    If those notes are what is to be expected from the gemstore next update then I guess i'll have to buy some gems. Lots of good stuff (for me at least.) Also, "Get packed for the return to Southsun Cove." I'm guessing they're finally adding something useful to that place next patch? Maybe the next living story has something to do with the refugees on Southsun.
    I hope so. I went out there for the first time last night and now understand why everyone pretty much says SSC, wtf? I expected it to be filled with at least some high level gathering, different types of mobs, and yeah.

Pretty much every node I came across was not the highest quality and there seems to only be 5 different types of mobs out there. Even with almost as good as you can get gear in this game, which isn't saying much, killing a veteran takes what seems like 5x longer than other similar level veterans in the other zones without any better rewards to compensate.

Overall it felt like a waste of time.
    BAD WOLF

Which is a shame because Southsun Cove is a really nice zone. It has like a jungle theme with mountains and caves and beaches and it also has those water steps which i just call hot springs. I like that place, it's a shame i don't have anything to do there..

Quote Originally Posted by Exroyal View Post
    Which is a shame because Southsun Cove is a really nice zone. It has like a jungle theme with mountains and caves and beaches and it also has those water steps which i just call hot springs. I like that place, it's a shame i don't have anything to do there..
    Guild Rush is hosted there. That's a pretty fun activity. Pretty much the only reason I go there though.