Heh, I kind of like Jormag, certainly a lot more than the other two dragons.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Oh, I wasn't referring to your comments, I was directing that at the "Events fail all the time!" stuff.
    I am aware.

I was taking the opportunity to draw out my point a little less cryptically. At the same time admitting to the subjectivity my statements and those oft repeated in a similar light.

Fencers knows how to use the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    I'd love to hear about how other games do raiding in non-instanced forms and which mechanics these use. I'm pretty sure there are more interesting open world raids than the current ones in GW2 and I feel like telling the devs about these in the forums... It's sad that I haven't got the experience to do so effectively.
    Usually open world bosses had individually punishing mechanics. Where the duty was on a single player/participant to move or react accordingly. Or simply have mechanics that were in line with the class and role structure of the game; Dark Age of Camelot or FF11, for example.

For example, in Divine Sword there was an open world boss whom would place a lightning bolt debuff on players at random every few seconds. As the timer ticked down, it would deal AOE damage. The closer you were to other players when the debuff ticked down, the more damage you received as the lightning would chain off other people.

So it was up to you to move to a safe spot. Players could see a little lightning bolt symbol on everyone, so you were clued as to where to move. The boss also summoned adds, had magic reflect barrier [keep DPSing and you would kill yourself], etc.

In Rift, a few of the open world bosses also have self awareness checks such as debuffs, safe zones and adds which require coordination.

One Rift boss spawns a set of adds that are perma aggro to individual players- if they catch a player, the player(s) will be slowed which makes the fight more dangerous. So the ability to recognize when your add is up, kite effectively and DPS effectively is paramount to surviving the repeating phases. There is also the added twist of the boss herself going through 3 phases that require joint efforts by 3 groups to manage each section.

The Autolia Volcano world boss in Radiant Arcana was another interesting open world encounter. It was tucked away in a difficult to reach part of the zone, had a huge amount of very powerful elites every step of he way. Had environmental hazards like falling rocks, lava, dead ends, cliffs you could fall off, etc. There were patrols players had to "sneak pass" or the patrols would alert more elites and spawn an deadly "Sargent" elite.

The RA boss himself was a 4 phase encounter with move in/move out mechanics, adds that needed to be DPS'd or tanked away from the the main boss, laser turrets that had to be shut down or redirected and various aggro switches.

Devs can have mechanics in the open world that in line with instanced mechanics. Developers could just as well create instanced raids without using the same structure of World of Warcraft too.

For example, did you know there are games that have full raiding with no actual weekly lockout? So one is able to negate the "play on schedule" dynamic of WoW or Rift. Or instanced raids with group sizes less than 10? Etc, etc.

It's all a matter of game design.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-06-05 at 05:09 PM.

zzzz...this raid talk bores me

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    To wit~
    I feel the same way about PVP, jumping puzzle or any other thing I dislike.

:>

Heh, I kind of like Jormag, certainly a lot more than the other two dragons.
    I'm not a fan of Tequatl either, but that's because he has the most BS fear ever. As long as he's roaring you'll get feared so it's pointless to use any fear breakers since it'll just be reapplied and the first application wears off when he's done roaring anyway.

Shatterer isn't too bad, although constantly dropping target on him is really irritating. (I don't know if that's just me, a bug, or somehow one of his 'mechanics'.) It's one of those encounters that makes me wish the game had "sticky" targeting or that placing a rock on the 1 key to keep attacking worked. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post

Usually open world bosses - bomb of knowledge -
    thanks, this is a great post! I really believe that the GW2-suggestions forum could benefit from this knowledge.

When I was talking about "play on schedule" I meant that I have to be online on a specific day for a few hours guaranteed... and I really can't guarantee that I don't go offline in the next minute. This is why I love GW2, events don't care if I have to leave or not, only participating players count towards scaling. Also those fixed raid-sizes are terrible, what if I'm in an 11-man guild? Or 13-man. I don't want to leave friends behind/ lock them out. This is just stupid.

GW2 hasn't such restrictions and Raids which work like this should never be added imho. I have nothing against solutions which can handle these problems though. It's about fun in the end, I don't care if WoW has raids or not... The only thing that counts for me is to not hurt other people / get hurt. In WoW I had to leave during raids not only once and I hate that situation immensly.

So..uhm..yeah..I managed to get my legendary the other day. Pretty happy for that it looks damn awesome But it took waaay longer than I anticipated and I won't be going through that again..Still it's my first legendary in an MMO, considering I've played WoW for years, so it's a small achievement for me

I've been wondering if it's more cost effective to make your own legendary or buy one pre-made. It seems like there's so much RNG involved in the process, if you're "unlucky" with the forge would it end up costing you ~1200g?

10+ Year Old Account
    Be away with you! Best convo we've had for ages. I like what the sound of some of the things fencers mentioned, could make for a some decent encounters.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    I've been wondering if it's more cost effective to make your own legendary or buy one pre-made. It seems like there's so much RNG involved in the process, if you're "unlucky" with the forge would it end up costing you ~1200g?
    It may end up costing even more than that. I went via the safe route and saved up my money and bought my precursor from the TP. It was challenging looking at all this gold and not trying to gamble but knowing my luck in games I would have ended with rares only lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/d...orld-vs-world/ news about wvw, well they call it news, really its just a we're thinking about stuff and tweaking but there you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Scyth View Post
    It may end up costing even more than that. I went via the safe route and saved up my money and bought my precursor from the TP. It was challenging looking at all this gold and not trying to gamble but knowing my luck in games I would have ended with rares only lol.
    Yeah, but even if you have the precursor isn't it still a lot of RNG for the other components?

Nah, precursor is the only real rng. The other one is clovers but that won't make a big dent in the budget.

It used to be very easy to get legendaries since if you sold one on TP you nearly had enough money to make 2 from that.

Also if you're going for a cheap one it's usually better to make sunrise/twilight sell it and buy w/e u want.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Yeah, but even if you have the precursor isn't it still a lot of RNG for the other components?
    Precursor is the only real rng like Meledelion said, yes. The clovers are now easier to get in my opinion because both Ectos and Mystic Coins are much cheaper than they used to be.

I see that now looking at the recipes on the wiki. I must have mistaken 'list of outrageously expensive materials' with RNG. ;P Now I see why more people don't bother with the legendaries that have relatively cheap precursors.

More Permanent Content on the Horizon
    http://bit.ly/11lOQTi
    Personaly I want Anet to open more zones in the world...

I've found a nice website which shows what you need for certain weapons (like Legendaries) in a decent UI. It's also possible to store your progress and you can see the spidy-values for each thing you can buy from the trading post.

http://www.gw2-craftchart.com/?item_id=115

It doesn't work for me...

Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    It doesn't work for me...
    you'll have to register

FINALLY character slots are on sale. Too bad it's only 20% vs. the 25% it was last time. Oh well, I'm not waiting another 6 months for them to go on sale. :P