Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Sooo much this. I fail to see the point of them adding that particular spoilered out item you're referring to in this game.

I put the better part of 2000 hours into the base game (and that's paltry compared to some players) and maybe all of 20 into HoT. I'm not looking to pay 50 bucks for a glorified content patch, so for their next xpac, I'll happily wait a couple of weeks to see what the verdict is before I consider buying it.
    If You believe the previous leaks (which btw was almost 100% accurate judging by the screenshots), the new expac will be priced 20$. Well ofc it may be false and shit may changed, but You know, there is hope .

Also the size of the maps on those pictures. Single map was like all three Orr maps combined.

Quote Originally Posted by Nehezbegar View Post
    If You believe the previous leaks (which btw was almost 100% accurate judging by the screenshots), the new expac will be priced 20$. Well ofc it may be false and shit may changed, but You know, there is hope .

Also the size of the maps on those pictures. Single map was like all three Orr maps combined.
    I haven't looked at the leaked stuff yet. Thought about skimming Reddit for it but seeing that 75% of the threads there currently are marked as spoiler since the patch just came out...yeah, avoiding that page for now.

Edit: I see there's a link to the info about the next xpac leaks here in another thread, so I'll follow that.

That aside, were HoT $20 bucks when it came out, I wouldn't have been near as salty about it as I was a few weeks after it had been out. $20 would have been a reasonable price for it back then, and based on what all they've patched in since then, it's definitely worth at least that much.

Deleted
    If one goes by what's been leaked, the xpac seems roughly the same size as HoT, so 20$ will indeed be a fair price.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbas View Post
    If one goes by what's been leaked, the xpac seems roughly the same size as HoT, so 20$ will indeed be a fair price.
    The leaker backed his 20$ claim that ArenaNet wants to make smaller and more frequent expansions. So perhaps there is some truth in this. But we will see when they reveal the price of the expansion. I think max 30$ is a reasonable price considering that this game is b2p without monthly fees.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    That aside, were HoT $20 bucks when it came out, I wouldn't have been near as salty about it as I was a few weeks after it had been out. $20 would have been a reasonable price for it back then, and based on what all they've patched in since then, it's definitely worth at least that much.
    I was one of the biggest complainers about the HoT pricing after it was released because of the lack of real content. Now I am changing my tune. At the initial release, it was dismal, but if you take into account the 5 (will be 6 in total) living story releases then the volume of content is much higher. They are sort of in a tough position. If they do the same thing again and release with a small amount of content for $50 then there will be a backlash. If they cut back on the price then they will start to run into issues funding the living story type of content. Perhaps they need to keep a $20 or $25 price tag but only have 3 living story episodes between expansions. From my brief glances at the leaks, the maps do seem to be much bigger and there are at least 5 of them so there should be a fair amount of content at release.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I'm avoiding most of the stuff from leaks, but this is one thing that is painfully uninteresting to me. Hoping that either the leaks are bunk (the few bits I've seen are not great but, as I've said, I'm avoiding them so I've not seen most of it) or that it ends up being a lot more interesting than it sounds. I really want to love the next expansion because I loved the base game, but if it's HoT 2.0 then I likely won't even be picking it up : /
    I have to agree. I loved GW2 base game. They had such a good thing going........ Have no idea what they were thinking with HOT. Basically everyone I know that loved the game and played everyday barely plays now.

I think they were struggling with how to make "challenging end game" and progression based end game within the systems in GW2. They just crazily missed the mark on it.

The best think they could do now is get out an expansion that focuses on the core ideas that made the first GW2 so great.

I wouldn't put anymore dev time into HOT, just consider it a loss and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    I was one of the biggest complainers about the HoT pricing after it was released because of the lack of real content. Now I am changing my tune. At the initial release, it was dismal, but if you take into account the 5 (will be 6 in total) living story releases then the volume of content is much higher. They are sort of in a tough position. If they do the same thing again and release with a small amount of content for $50 then there will be a backlash. If they cut back on the price then they will start to run into issues funding the living story type of content. Perhaps they need to keep a $20 or $25 price tag but only have 3 living story episodes between expansions. From my brief glances at the leaks, the maps do seem to be much bigger and there are at least 5 of them so there should be a fair amount of content at release.
    In a sense, but then you'd have to compare it to every other MMO's post-expansion launch content and it still ends up looking a bit anemic as a whole, given the low amount of content for the first 9 months of the games life. Also remember, if you didn't log in during those releases you'll have to pay for them, so folks just buying the expansion now will have those additional costs (which isn't a bad thing, inherently).

All I know is that if the next expansion doesn't deliver 2-3x the initial content, as HoT was billed more as the "system" expansion laying the groundwork for more content to come, even if it has the low $20 price point I'll still be skeptical as hell about picking it up. I've complained endlessly about it, but HoT really did burn me in a pretty major. Was happy to largely blindly preorder it for $50 (didn't even care about the price drama), but can't say the same about whatever the next expansion is, even if it's a measly $20.

They're going to need to run a spectacular marketing campaign if they want the next expansion to really turn things around for them and bring them back to their pre-HoT revenue levels (which were higher during its drought than they even are in recent quarters, even). At least it seems like they're abandoning their silly push for esports, so maybe they can dump some of that marketing budget into other avenues that will prove more fruitful.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    Yeah, if the amount of stuff available now were around when HoT launched, I might very well still be playing instead of having returned to FF14.

At least with GW2, though, I can return at any time I want without worry of a monthly fee. I've logged in each time they've patched to add LS3 episodes, so I have all of those available to me.

Regarding the price, people have to remember that this game is B2P, so a slightly higher price for an expansion than any other mmo is justified.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbas View Post
    Since it seems that all images from the leak were deleted.
    For everyone who wants to see them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSNR-2BikpA

*edited to put "leak" link in spoiler tags so no one accidentally clicks when they don't mean to. - Arlee
    This seems pretty cool, but of course we'll have to see what the new specs play like. I feel like HoT's, when they were revealed, surprised a lot of people in regards to playstyle. Some more than others.
    3DS FC: 1177 - 7882 - 6112

Quote Originally Posted by Nehezbegar View Post
    Regarding the price, people have to remember that this game is B2P, so a slightly higher price for an expansion than any other mmo is justified.
    For folks who bought the original game back in the day for ~$50 USD (or more for collector editions), having an xpac that initially featured all of 4 zones and one extra trait/spec line per class for the same price is a bit of a bitter pill to deal with. I only speak for me, but I was done with HoT after 2-3 weeks; massive disappointment at that time. Were it not for FF14 being such a time vampire, I'd give the new LS episodes a go (I still log on in order to flag them as active or whatever).

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    To be honest, the design of HoT is pretty solid. The reason why I got bored was initially everything was too gated and grindy, but most importantly because the aesthetic was so one dimensional I couldn't stand to look at it anymore. Compared to the Vanilla game, which had everything from deserts to frozen tundra, it was too samey.
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    hot spec is nuts xDDD, worth playing it........

Deleted
    Are HoT specs still mandatory or would something like this work too for supp mes?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roudene View Post
    Are HoT specs still mandatory or would something like this work too for supp mes?
    It would work in wvw but not in pve. Those runes are HoT runes, just a heads up if you don't have HoT.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Deleted
    I see, thanks.

I have owned GW2 since launch but didn't get past lvl 45 before stopping. I started playing again the last few weeks and I made it to lvl 80 with just the base game, no expansions. I'm sad to say I can't see myself continuing. I really like the world and the levelling system with all the different events and exploration but I just don't find any of the classes fun enough to continue playing.

I have tried them all and the one I got to 80 was a Ranger. I had an axe and a torch as weapons but every fight just seemed to be 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 then press whatever comes off cooldown. I know there are more skills with the utility bar but they didn't really change the rotation or play style. I just had a heal,= the move speed signet, a crow that applies a bleed, a pet damage boost cooldown and an aoe root for my ultimate. Frankly, I didn't see much need to use the utility skills outside of elites/bosses.

Maybe I am missing something but I tried all the classes at mid-high levels thanks to level boost scrolls and they were just not fun. Overall I think GW2 is a great game but just not for me sadly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Millennía View Post
    I have tried them all and the one I got to 80 was a Ranger. I had an axe and a torch as weapons but every fight just seemed to be 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 then press whatever comes off cooldown. I know there are more skills with the utility bar but they didn't really change the rotation or play style. I just had a heal,= the move speed signet, a crow that applies a bleed, a pet damage boost cooldown and an aoe root for my ultimate. Frankly, I didn't see much need to use the utility skills outside of elites/bosses.
    I'm not sure what you used as your second weapon, but for the majority of classes, you ARE intended to be weapon swapping. This means having 10 weapon abilities, and four utility skills of your own choosing, plus your heal, and your pet's ability if you are playing a class like ranger. That's about the same number of buttons you'd have available for skills in any other MMO and you'd likely have a similar rotation difficulty.

If it's not for you, it's not for you...nothing wrong with that. It's quite a bit different from other games, with the focus on self sustain with your own heals and dodging, but I just wanted to point out the bit about weapon swapping.

Did GW2 developers stop making raids?

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, news on the next wing will come as early as Tuesday. The wing will probably come out in Nov or Jan since they usually take most of Dec off.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rivelle View Post
    I'm not sure what you used as your second weapon, but for the majority of classes, you ARE intended to be weapon swapping. This means having 10 weapon abilities, and four utility skills of your own choosing, plus your heal, and your pet's ability if you are playing a class like ranger. That's about the same number of buttons you'd have available for skills in any other MMO and you'd likely have a similar rotation difficulty.

If it's not for you, it's not for you...nothing wrong with that. It's quite a bit different from other games, with the focus on self sustain with your own heals and dodging, but I just wanted to point out the bit about weapon swapping.
    Some classes have way more abilities than that even.

Engi - 4 toolkit abilities + optional kits that give you 5 more abilities.

Eles - 5x4 per weapon set up. More if you play Weaver

Necro/Druid - Shroud/Avatar/Shade abilities

Soulbeast - You pet gives you 3 abilities

Firebrand - 3 tomes each with 5 abilities

Rev - almost like swapping 4 weapons

Holosmith - Engi + a transformation

Resident Cosplay Progressive