Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post

Not bad.
    Um...that's pretty awful, actually. That's their expansion revenue bump, that's pretty tiny. For context, that's about half of the revenue Heart of Thorns.

That's not great at all, and shows that while PoF may have been well received by the remaining community, it did very little to bring back lapsed players who left during Heart of Thorns. That would definitely explain the aggressive RNG monetization for mounts.

I didn't pick it up yet so I'm part of the "problem", but Anet needs to figure something out. If their revenue declines post-expansion follow similar trends that they did for vanilla/HoT then their financials are going to start putting them in tricky places with NCsoft.

Edit: For some context, GW2 was earning roughly this amount of money every quarter during the yearlong content drought leading up to HoT.

Slightly off topic: I realize it's a different market and all, but I'm perplexed as to what games people are pissing that much money away on that are on their phones. I can't imagine playing anything beyond Angry Birds on a phone. Ignorance is bliss, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Um...that's pretty awful, actually. That's their expansion revenue bump, that's pretty tiny. For context, that's about half of the revenue Heart of Thorns.

That's not great at all, and shows that while PoF may have been well received by the remaining community, it did very little to bring back lapsed players who left during Heart of Thorns. That would definitely explain the aggressive RNG monetization for mounts.

I didn't pick it up yet so I'm part of the "problem", but Anet needs to figure something out. If their revenue declines post-expansion follow similar trends that they did for vanilla/HoT then their financials are going to start putting them in tricky places with NCsoft.

Edit: For some context, GW2 was earning roughly this amount of money every quarter during the yearlong content drought leading up to HoT.
    I am also part of that "problem", and the current decisions being made surrounding the game aren't doing it any favors to win me back over. I'll probably log in at the end of the month to collect some more 5th anniversary rewards (more expensive dyes I won't be around to use, weeeee).

I love the financial "experts" here

Quote Originally Posted by Valeron View Post
    I love the financial "experts" here
    I love the people rushing to defend the game the moment anyone throws down a hint of critique or says something oh so mean about it. Even if it's something as small as their income being down. Amusing to say the least.

Doesn't take an expert to know financially the game is down from the HoT launch period by a considerable amount. You want an echo chamber? Go to the official forums.

So yes it's safe to say less people bought into the expansion this time and that more people have gone elsewhere.

As for the mount issue the people on Reddit have every right to be pissed. The cost alone is atrocious. At least people are able to vent their frustration and critique on reddit because the official forums is just a cesspool of white knights and biased moderation that is close to Rift's moderation on the forums. Yes I just said that.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/...rm_is_brewing/

https://www.pcgamesn.com/guild-wars-...kin-loot-boxes

http://massivelyop.com/2017/11/08/wo...rst-lockboxes/

Again I don't blame the critique and vitriol.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-11-10 at 01:49 AM.

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Man, this is one of the funniest GW2 videos that I've ever watched.

Very related to this week's topic.

10+ Year Old Account
    That was pretty damn funny and accurate! lol....

QQ I've sunk $500 into the game since launch......still no permanent hair stylist.....

Not touching that mount shit though.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    I love the people rushing to defend the game the moment anyone throws down a hint of critique or says something oh so mean about it. Even if it's something as small as their income being down. Amusing to say the least.

Doesn't take an expert to know financially the game is down from the HoT launch period by a considerable amount. You want an echo chamber? Go to the official forums.

So yes it's safe to say less people bought into the expansion this time and that more people have gone elsewhere.

As for the mount issue the people on Reddit have every right to be pissed. The cost alone is atrocious. At least people are able to vent their frustration and critique on reddit because the official forums is just a cesspool of white knights and biased moderation that is close to Rift's moderation on the forums. Yes I just said that.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/...rm_is_brewing/

https://www.pcgamesn.com/guild-wars-...kin-loot-boxes

http://massivelyop.com/2017/11/08/wo...rst-lockboxes/

Again I don't blame the critique and vitriol.
    I never blame the critique. I always blame the vitriol. One can be upset with the situation and give critique without becoming a child in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by BlairPhoenix View Post
    I never blame the critique. I always blame the vitriol. One can be upset with the situation and give critique without becoming a child in the process.
    I 100% agree. And that's mostly what I'm referring to. Vitriol but presented in a critical manner. So vitriol but not like foul mouth spewing if that makes any sense?

People have a right to be angry as long as it's presented well imo. Something stupid like sending a dev a death threat is completely unacceptable for example.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-11-10 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

Their pricing for the expansion was 60% of HoT so in all likelihood that accounted for the lower increase.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    Their pricing for the expansion was 60% of HoT so in all likelihood that accounted for the lower increase.
    I figured the quarter ended September, but still should have captured the September 22nd release numbers. Either way it seems like a lot of work for not much of a bump over monthly numbers. Might still have some boost to next quarter due to it.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Lack of meaningful content, meh story and other stuff.
    Here is the funny thing. What is content? When I look at what people are complaining about when they complain about the content, what they are really complaining about is the rewards for repeating the content. People are happy to repeat content if the rewards are there. Last night I logged on for a short while and there were tons of people in Bitterfrost, Ember Bay and AB during the meta.

I think there are a couple of problems going on but they are related:

1) People are complaining about the content but it's really the rewards that are bothering them. Doing the new content doesn't feel rewarding if you have already done it once.
    2) People are complaining about the mount skin dump and the RNG aspect. You mentioned that the mount skins were like dyes but they aren't for a very important reason. You can get dyes in game and not just from the gem store. Mount skins (and the vast majority of glider skins) are only available from the gem store. There is no way to get them as a reward for playing the game and for a game where the end game is cosmetic, that's a big problem.

A/Net need to take a step back and move a few mount and glider skins into the game as rewards for playing the game. They be hard to get, even grindy, but they need to exist. A/Net have gated a portion of the game behind gems and that's where the discontent is coming from. People feel like they have to buy stuff. So the game meta is becoming grind for gold to swap for gems to get your real rewards instead of play the game for your rewards and top up with the cool stuff on the gem store. I am really enjoying the content but I go through it slowly because of lack of time. I set myself a goal of outfitting all of my alts with ascended trinkets and exotic gear so that's what I am busy with. I don't need to go to the gem store for that. For someone wanting some different mount skins their only option is the gem store and that's doesn't really give a sense of accomplishment.

They have added some pretty good stuff in the latest patch notes and in PoF and HoT for that matter. They just need to get the rewards right.

10+ Year Old Account
    LS4 drops this month. They weren't kidding about a shorter turn around, which means were also probably getting another xpac next year.

Spoilers at the end of the teaser if you havent beaten the xpac.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

LS4 drops this month. They weren't kidding about a shorter turn around, which means were also probably getting another xpac next year.

Spoilers at the end of the teaser if you havent beaten the xpac.

Can only hope they tie some mount skin rewards in (or something of fun/value to people, at least) through completing LS4.

If it's stated to be so in the trailer, I didn't watch it due to spoilers.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't count on mount skins. How many glider skins did we get that werent part of the gem store? I think like one that wasnt tied to a legendary.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

7+ Year Old Account
    Hopefully LS4 will have a better narrative than the PoF campaign. I really really liked LS3 but I couldn't stand PoF's narrative, it was uninteresting at best and bad at worst.

I wouldn't count on mount skins. How many glider skins did we get that werent part of the gem store? I think like one that wasnt tied to a legendary.
    And that's stemming over the course of 2 years since HoT release. I mean...would it really be that big an issue to throw people a bone in the form of a glider skin they could unlock that doesn't require the grind of a legendary item (assuming the glider/backpiece would be in line with what it takes to get a weapon).

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    And that's stemming over the course of 2 years since HoT release. I mean...would it really be that big an issue to throw people a bone in the form of a glider skin they could unlock that doesn't require the grind of a legendary item (assuming the glider/backpiece would be in line with what it takes to get a weapon).
    It's ANET and NCsoft man. They wunt yer maneyyy

I just love their new style of trailers.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    I just love their new style of trailers.
    This is probably one of their best made trailers yet! Let's hope the episode lives up to it.

Wonder if the entire new map will be underground Assura/Inquest labs or if we'll get some nice open landscapes as well.

Also what on earth will the new mastery be?

Quote Originally Posted by Stormscale View Post
    Wonder if the entire new map will be underground Assura/Inquest labs or if we'll get some nice open landscapes as well.
    There was a leak on Reddit weeks ago that next map is southern part of Dajkah (pennisula a little to the north of Istan). If you look at the global map, there's some Inquest-like cube seemingly floating in the air at the southern shore, I guess this is the laboratory from the trailer.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though