The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    All I know about this new spec is that it wields a mace and casts purple spell effects.
    Let me literally take the same information from the video and present it to you the way you did everything else:

Specter is a shadow-attuned defender of his homeland, using magic borrowed from the depths of darkness to tether their soul to anchor your physical form in this plane. Stalking through the shadows, the Specter is able to transport themselves through the battlefield keeping their allies at the brink of life with the sheer will drawn from their very soul.

People need to stop letting their high expectations devolve into confirmation bias that they didn't just hear the same information in the same way as everything else that they are using as examples. This is some serious smol-brain, russian facebook disinformation tactics people are absorbing to shit on video games they actually like. Dear god what insanity are people using to argue against things they actually hate?
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    How important is the Elite Spec weapon typically? Are they like basically required to use for the elite spec? Because maces are my least favorite weapon archetype.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    How important is the Elite Spec weapon typically? Are they like basically required to use for the elite spec? Because maces are my least favorite weapon archetype.
    It depends. I'm not familiar with all the elite specs, but some really need the weapon to shine while others can work well with any weapon. My DPS firebrand build all very much need the axe for maximum damage, but my support build uses standard weapons. My dragonhunter build doesn't use bow either since it's garbage, just standard sword/focus and greatsword.

Won't know how possible it is with these new specs until folks get in and start playing with them.

Looks like a minion of Mordremoth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Another really cool elite spec, but why they all gotta use Maces!? Maces are a trash tier weapon archetype

That's actually pretty freakin rad. Coolist of the last batch of elite specs IMO.

Pretty cool. I wonder if there will be a way to change the model of the mech, maybe replace it with something more appropriate for an Iron Legion engineer or something.

That and warrior and the only interesting looking specs.

Another really cool elite spec, but why they all gotta use Maces!? Maces are a trash tier weapon archetype
    Not like it matters a lot, I think there are a good bit of maces that are more mechanical and it'll probably have little to do with an actual mace in gameplay anyway.

I'm pretty sure I have the wrench-mace already, so there ya go.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Art for this game continues to own, it's really too bad there's no content
    A better way to think about Casual v Hardcore: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...asual-Hardcore

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyris Flare View Post
    You're really gonna have to explain you through process about this lol :P

Anyway. Mechanist and Spectre both look pretty cool. I've only played engi occasionally in spvp and it's been many years since I mained a thief, might be fun to go for something new.

Otherwise the rest of the elite specs haven't impressed me. Thematically some of them are cool but from what I've tried they all pretty much suck in some major way. I'm hoping there will be quite a lot of changes based on feedback before the expansion launches, because the only ones that were actually playable in the betas this far were Harbinger and Bladesworn, simply because their damage was overtuned. And Harbinger was still really boring to play with really uninspired traits and skills.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyris Flare View Post
    How is there no content in the game? There might be content you don't like but no content?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    You're really gonna have to explain you through process about this lol :P

Anyway. Mechanist and Spectre both look pretty cool. I've only played engi occasionally in spvp and it's been many years since I mained a thief, might be fun to go for something new.

Otherwise the rest of the elite specs haven't impressed me. Thematically some of them are cool but from what I've tried they all pretty much suck in some major way. I'm hoping there will be quite a lot of changes based on feedback before the expansion launches, because the only ones that were actually playable in the betas this far were Harbinger and Bladesworn, simply because their damage was overtuned. And Harbinger was still really boring to play with really uninspired traits and skills.
    If damage is your only metric then the only one that should be unplayed is Willbreaker or whatever the guardian spec was. All of them how clocked at 40k+ dps, which is above the most of the current dps builds. Either way, DPS is overvalued in the game where its not needed to clear the hardest fights. You can clear fights undermanned or with a bunch of off-meta builds as long as you understand the games mechanics and how to play a build well enough.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    How is there no content in the game? There might be content you don't like but no content?

- - - Updated - - -

If damage is your only metric then the only one that should be unplayed is Willbreaker or whatever the guardian spec was. All of them how clocked at 40k+ dps, which is above the most of the current dps builds. Either way, DPS is overvalued in the game where its not needed to clear the hardest fights. You can clear fights undermanned or with a bunch of off-meta builds as long as you understand the games mechanics and how to play a build well enough.
    No I don't mean that damage is everything, I just meant that the overtuned harbinger and bladesworn were playable only because of overtuned damage. They still had lots of issues which made them not that fun to play. Harbinger with extremely boring traits and utility skills, and Bladesworn with some jank regarding dragon trigger and weapon swapping. Bladesworn was pretty close to a usable spec though, just needs some QoL fixes and re-balancing of the damage output in dragon trigger.

As for the rest.... Catalyst was just bad. If you ignored everything about the new spec and just played it like a core elementalist with just some buffs from the catalyst trait line it was OK, but that's hardly glowing praise if you're ignoring everything about a new spec.

Willbender and Vindicator are both thematically fun but extremely underpowered. Everything about Willbender hits like a wet noodle. Again, like the catalyst, it was only playable as a core guardian while ignoring all the new stuff. Not good.

Vindicator was my biggest disappointment since I've mained Revenant/Renegade for the last year or so. Not only did it hit like a wet noodle (it barely reached 30k golem dps) but the new legend with the flip-over skills was just horrible to play with in practice. It just doesn't feel good to not have access to the skill you want without having to use another pointless skill in between. Playing without the new legend made the spec better which is a clear sign of failure.
    The new dodge mechanic also needs some work, the delay was just far too long for anything but the "healing dodge", and then you have 3 grandmaster traits and 3 master traits that are solely focused on the dodging mechanic, which leaves very little focus for the rest of the spec.
    Greatsword abilities were fine but everything else about the spec needs a complete rework imo, it just doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    That and warrior and the only interesting looking specs.
    This is sorta my take. I'm kinda into Willbender or whatever for all the leaps but like...cool, I get to hop around by warriors get a FREAKIN GUNBLADE and engi's get a cool ass customizable minion pet?

I'm totally not jealous. Totally.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    No I don't mean that damage is everything, I just meant that the overtuned harbinger and bladesworn were playable only because of overtuned damage. They still had lots of issues which made them not that fun to play. Harbinger with extremely boring traits and utility skills, and Bladesworn with some jank regarding dragon trigger and weapon swapping. Bladesworn was pretty close to a usable spec though, just needs some QoL fixes and re-balancing of the damage output in dragon trigger.

As for the rest.... Catalyst was just bad. If you ignored everything about the new spec and just played it like a core elementalist with just some buffs from the catalyst trait line it was OK, but that's hardly glowing praise if you're ignoring everything about a new spec.

Willbender and Vindicator are both thematically fun but extremely underpowered. Everything about Willbender hits like a wet noodle. Again, like the catalyst, it was only playable as a core guardian while ignoring all the new stuff. Not good.

Vindicator was my biggest disappointment since I've mained Revenant/Renegade for the last year or so. Not only did it hit like a wet noodle (it barely reached 30k golem dps) but the new legend with the flip-over skills was just horrible to play with in practice. It just doesn't feel good to not have access to the skill you want without having to use another pointless skill in between. Playing without the new legend made the spec better which is a clear sign of failure.
    The new dodge mechanic also needs some work, the delay was just far too long for anything but the "healing dodge", and then you have 3 grandmaster traits and 3 master traits that are solely focused on the dodging mechanic, which leaves very little focus for the rest of the spec.
    Greatsword abilities were fine but everything else about the spec needs a complete rework imo, it just doesn't work.
    Valid concerns. I don't think some of them are as critical as others but very valid.

Harbinger is going to get nerfed in damage and buffed in boon generation if only because it's a necro and the way necros get balanced has been consistent since launch. Elixars are the most exciting skills on Engi either. The only thing they have going for them is the engi toolbelt. Elixars with unique buffs would have been cool though.

My issue with catalyst isn't that it plays like core ele. Half the elite specs play like their core spec. Numbers and the Jade sphere thing can be easily be tweaked - which need to be tweaked. I also really melee ele so my opinion go against a lot of people who wanted a ranged option.

The guardian spec is like watching paint dry in PVE. Boring and stale. It's actually solid in pvp, just not exciting.

Vindicator needs A LOT of number tweaks. I don't know if if it's dodge is good or bad yet but I think Anet has created an unnecessarily complex issue for themselves. It just reminds me of another take on mirages dodge where you have to change up the way you dodge. My peeve with the class is I can't work out its purpose.

Overall I'm not too worried yet but its clear not one of these specs are finished, though I think Virtuoso is isn't going to change much at all. They play the game and will tell you straight up that a lot of stuff is clunky/WIP right now.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2021-10-22 at 07:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So my fears about Untamed having to use the Hammer are confirmed lol. When you are in your buffed form only your Hammer skills change, none of the other weapons do.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadow View Post
    Ladies and gentleman...i present you the worst showcase video of a new class on planet earth.
    Even worse than my youtube videos.
    All i learned is that "it protects allies with a shadow barrier"
    /end video

my face (-_-')
    Honestly, all of these videos were really bad. Nevertheless, I absolutely love Virtuoso and looking forward to it. I think Catalyst was the biggest disappointment, so boring and convoluted, yet ineffective.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Oh wait all the classes are getting a new sub class? (sorry idk what they are called exactly).

Any recommendations as far as streamers/YTers to get caught up on this new expansion?
    Each expansion they introduce a new "Elite specialization" that drastically changes gameplay. An Elite spec comes with a new unlocked weapon for that class and an entire skill tree. With the upcoming End of Dragons expansion there are 3 Elite Specs per class.

Wooden Potatoes is a great Guild Wars 2 streamer.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Oh wait all the classes are getting a new sub class? (sorry idk what they are called exactly).

Any recommendations as far as streamers/YTers to get caught up on this new expansion?
    Mukluk - Great teacher for all audiences. Breaks down thinks into very easy digestible chunks.

Might Teapot - Has a very high level understanding of the game, especially the various endgame activities. passionate and honest about it. Regularly interacts with Anet. People may not be able to pick up on his humor and sarcasm so at times he might come off as elitisy/toxic/someone who doesn't like the game.

Woodenpotatoes - Lore master of the game. Salt King but very knowledgeable.

There's some very other ones but those 3 have been around for a while.

10+ Year Old Account
    Spectre (no, "Specter" is a stupid spelling!) looks like it could be a lot of fun. I'm not sure how effective it will be, that remains to be seen as single-target support role is kind of ehhhh.

But I'm pretty hopeful it will be at least fun to play. Imagine a 5 Spectre havoc squad in WvW, just buffing each other and zipping around while well-bombing the enemy squad. That would be a lot of fun.

Mechanist is certainly something I'll try out as well. There's really a lot of unknowns about how that will play in reality, could be great or could be a disaster with no access to toolbelt skills.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hopped in the beta for about 30 minutes to see how Untamed and Mechanist feel since they are the two Elite Specs I'm most interested in. Did not like the Untamed at all. Since you're going to basically be locked into using the Hammer it has to feel really good and it did not for me.

Mechnist with dual pistols and a condi melee Jade golem was actually quite fun though. I think I'll use my level 80 boost on an Engineer and then switch to Revenant until End of Dragons because I don't like the other two Ranger elite specs.