Deleted

Shadowpriest help !

Hello guys.

GM in my guild told me and the 3 other priests that currently raid as holy/disc that 1 of us was required to go shadow.
    I voulenteered for the task as i have very little knowledge of that spec, and thought that it would be fun to try something new with my little priest.

I have been reading alot of various guides, t.crafting and whatnot on the web, but all the info varies from site to site, SO i would be thankful if i could have some
    feedback on my current gear, gemmings, enchantings and rotation, i would be happy !

Armory link: eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/kilrogg/lyghter/advanced

Rotation on raidboss: i open with MF until Evangelism procs (10% more dot dmg), VT, DP, SW:P, MB (and when off cd) and MF as filler.
    I am not clipping my MF, but i seem to be stuck at 12-14 k dps, 17-20 when i pop my cd´s and lucky with crits.
    I have been told to open with dots, but dont i loose the 10% from evangelism then ?

According to my gear, i should be able to pull 12k without buffs, so what the hell am i doing wrong !

Oh btw, free cookies on kilrogg realm for thoose that help

Thanks in advance

- Lyghter

10+ Year Old Account
    Im no priest pro, but I'm assuming the evangelism will work for exsisting dots as well.

What I would do is VT,SWP,DP and Mindflay until Shadow Orbs are up to 3. Then use MB.
    Warlock (SL main)

Deleted
    Swap VT and Pain around - remember that Pain dynamically updates when refreashed by MF. Moreover, your Haste seems low (showing at only 10.5% on your charsheet). Try reforging some of that crit to haste and see if you see a boost to your damage.

EDIT: Once you have an Orb, cast MB, and then apply DP and VT again. The biggest priority is to keep Empowered Shadows up. Everything else is secondary. DoT up, use Archangel on Burn phases/at the start of a fight (Maloriak Green, Twilight Council Ascended phase, Halfus exposed), and you should see a considerable increase. I've gimped my DPS slightly by aiming for the Hitcap, as most places recommend aiming for 14-15% hit, as around 80% of our samage comes from DoT effects.
    Last edited by mmoc268c5b5cae; 2011-04-26 at 09:28 AM. Reason: added info

another thing.. open with dots then MF till u get 1 orb, use MB to proc the orb bonus to dots and KEEP that buff rolling.

dots arent like old days where you had to get the 10% up before dotting etc. they refresh each tick(99% sure but some confirmation could be nice) so id recomend

VT->SW:P-DP -> MF(till u get 1 orb)-> MB -> keep dots up/else MF -> 1-3 orbs and 2-3 secs left on empowered shadow MB-> repeat and win

---------- Post added 2011-04-26 at 11:38 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimoron View Post
    Swap VT and Pain around - remember that Pain dynamically updates when refreashed by MF. Moreover, your Haste seems low (showing at only 10.5% on your charsheet). Try reforging some of that crit to haste and see if you see a boost to your damage.

EDIT: Once you have an Orb, cast MB, and then apply DP and VT again. The biggest priority is to keep Empowered Shadows up. Everything else is secondary. DoT up, use Archangel on Burn phases/at the start of a fight (Maloriak Green, Twilight Council Ascended phase, Halfus exposed), and you should see a considerable increase. I've gimped my DPS slightly by aiming for the Hitcap, as most places recommend aiming for 14-15% hit, as around 80% of our samage comes from DoT effects.
    as ultimoon says hit isnt our best stat

but just remember its all based on reaction time, if u miss and fail to notice its a dps loss..

TL;DR start with hit cap and once you feel familiar with shadowpriest you can dump a little hit and get a few extra dps

your trinkets are horrible for shadowpriests. try to get the stump of time from tol barad. get gale of shadows or witching hourglass as 2nd trinket. if you can afford it, get the darkmooncard instead.

the gemming is off. you'll always want to gem 40 int, unless the socket bonus is 20 or more haste/spirit (if you need the spirit), 30 or more crit/mastery (will only happen on headpieces) or 10 or more int. get your third chimaeras eye.

rearrange the reforging. at your low haste levels you should try to reforge everything into haste, until you reach atleast the next hasteplateau (that would be 1565 haste, if you get buffed with dark intent, which you should). more information about the hasteplateaus can be found here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...w-Priest-Guide, I'll just qoute the important part:

Quote Originally Posted by New View Post

Code:
    			 +1		 +2	        +3	        +4	       +5
    Vampiric Touch	   10.00% (0220)   30.00% (2588)   50.00% (4956)   70.00% (7324)
    Shadow Word: Pain  08.34% (0024)   25.00% (1996)   41.67% (3969)   58.34% (5943)
    Devouring Plague   06.25% (0000)   18.75% (1256)   31.25% (2736)   43.75% (4216)   56.25% (5696)
    **not calculated with Dark Intent active

With Dark Intent:
    Code:
    			 +1		 +2	        +3	        +4	       +5
    Vampiric Touch	   10.00% (0000)   30.00% (2140)   50.00% (4441)   70.00% (6738)
    Shadow Word: Pain  08.34% (0000)   25.00% (1565)   41.67% (3481)   58.34% (5397)
    Devouring Plague   06.25% (0000)   18.75% (0346)   31.25% (2283)   43.75% (3720)   56.25% (5157)
    ** Mind Flay does not gain additional ticks from Haste
    if you cant reforge to haste (because the item already has haste, which should be always the case anyways), reforge into spirit (or hit) -> some might say, that at you low gearlevel, hitcap is not optimal, thats your personal choice. i always run hitcapped.

your character should now look like this: http://chardev.org/?profile=108441

the next goal should be to further increase your hastelevel, until you reach the magic 2283 haste rating. reforged darkmooncard will give you a lot haste rating, as well as being a very good trinket as it is. try to get the valiona headpiece. do 2 weeks of 5 arenawins for a massive weapon upgrade.

regarding your opening: it really doesn't matter that much. as long as you keep the dots on your target, you're fine. the differennce between an optimal opening (whichever that is, it depends on your gear and the fight and is debated frequently) an a suboptimal opening over the course of a 4 to 10 minute fight is negliable (spelling?).

hope i could help

The most common mistake you see that Spriest is making is the assumption that you want to get 3 orbs before MB and it is wrong. Now that you didnt mention Empowering Shadows(ES) I could think that you are not giving enough importance to it. As Ultimoron mentioned your priority is to keep ES up all the time - so forget stacking orbs to 3 if ES is falling off and cast MB everytime ES is about to expire(and you have atleast 1 orb), that alone will gain you some dps if you havent already been doing so. Though no need to say more, Ultimoron kind of said already what you should do

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure dots don't refresh each tick. Regardless the number 1 thing to consider, is that a shadow orb isn't guaranteed to proc. I've tries mindflay+sw till 5 evangelism and shadow orb, but the orb didn't come till 35s later. In thy entire time I could've had 2 vt's and a dp and a half rolling.

Therefore I believe it's ideal to dot up first, start with sw and dp while moving into position and or maybe vt first if you're not moving. MB as soon as you get an orb for the buff and do your mindflays for evangelism. Usually you'll get 5 Evan by the time you get an orb and you can Da with your procs for a bigger Mb then redo 5 Evan and your vt will be running out just in time to reapply it with full dot DMg. I personally mb on cd, I feel it keeps my flow going more smoothly. (unless I don't have an orb) as there's been a few times I started a mb cast at 1 orb and right before it got off I had 3 orbs. More often the 2nd orb comes than all 3 but it's still good and it makes keeping the buff up pretty mindless it seems.

First reforge:

Mastery -> Hit/Spirit (if not capped; 16% should be fine. You don't need 17%) > Haste (if no Haste on the Gear) [> Crit (if Haste on the Gear)] Crit = Mastery

Hit/Spirit (if capped) -> Haste (if no Haste on Gear) > Crit (if Haste on Gear) = Mastery (if Haste on Gear)

Crit -> Hit/Spirit (if not capped; 16% should be fine. You don't need 17%) > Haste (if no Haste on the Gear) [> Mastery (if Haste on the Gear)] Mastery = Crit

NEVER gem for Hit/Spirit unless the bonus is 20int. You will get better results when you follow the list from Newnoise's Guide:

Gems

Socket bonuses appear to be mostly based on Intellect, and it seems that most of socket bonuses will be worth gemming for at first glance. The desirable gem(s) for each slot are as follows:

Red: Brilliant Inferno Ruby
    Blue: Purified Demon's Eye
    Yellow: Reckless Ember Topaz
    Meta: Burning Shadowspirit Diamond*

Only rare gems exist as a part of Cataclysm. I expect epic gems to make their way back into the game in a future patch. Also, if a unique +20 all stats gem, like Nightmare Tear, makes its way into the game again, it would be ideal for a blue socket. I would highly recommend not gemming for Hit. You will gain more by gemming for Intellect and reforging secondary stats into Hit/Spirit if you need the rating.

You should gem for the socket bonuses if the bonuses are:

Red Sockets = Always 40 Intellect in a red socket
    Yellow Sockets (20 Int + 20 Haste) = Intellect > 9. Haste > 19. Crit > 23. Mastery > 22
    Blue Sockets (20 Int + 20 Spirit)* = Intellect > 19. Haste > 40. Crit > 45. Mastery > 45
    *This assumes you can make up the hit through reforging and avoiding a loss of Intellect by gemming for Spirit

Also change your Trinkets. Craft the JC one and buy the Darkmooncard: Volcano (reforge Mastery to Haste).

And take a look at the Guide I linked abouve (click on Newnoise's Guide)

Change your Major Glyphs to Fade, Mass Dispell and Psychic Scream/Psychic Horror/Inner Fire
    Last edited by Kayona; 2011-04-26 at 12:35 PM.

Cogito ergo sum.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerjoe View Post
    dots arent like old days where you had to get the 10% up before dotting etc. they refresh each tick(99% sure but some confirmation could be nice)
    They do not refresh each tick. You have to recast to get any new benefits...

From another thread on a similar topic:
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Finally found what I was looking for to clear up the confusion

Dots and hots adjust on the fly now when they're refreshed. There is less reason to try and get everything lined up perfectly for big numbers before you cast the spell. You'll be able to game it a little bit for the initial spell duration, but it won't refresh infinitely with the big numbers.

We have to rebalance the entire game anyway given the magnitude of the Cataclysm changes, so don't worry about being penalized for any old mechanics that may no longer be relevant.
    (fail for forgetting how to blue quote )

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/2...o-see-answered

It's a little bit past halfway down the page if you want to look for it/read the whole thing yourself

I think the "on the fly" part is what was causing some of the confusion in memories. I mean it was posted 8 months ago and in wow terms that is pretty much forever ago
    Last edited by Arlee; 2011-04-26 at 11:19 AM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    The TLR for the OP

Open with: VT SWP and DP (Order can be changed to suit having to move at the start of the fight, for example on Nef you will open with DP,SWP, SW (If you are levitating I do), SW:P

Keep Your Buff Up (Empowered Shadows)
    Keep VT Up
    Keep DP Up
    Keep MB On CD
    Keep Shadowfiend on Cooldown
    Keep Archangel on Cooldown
    Fill with Mind Flay
    SW while moving if reapplying DP is not a dps gain
    DP Spam while moving if SW Is on CD
    Use Dispersion to avoid some encounter mechanics
    Use SW during execute (Twice if you are glyphed for it)

Thats a spriest
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingforSWTOR View Post
    Ontopic, i play both factions since i accidentally the queues
    Ben Dover and Alpha Queue too!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardlec View Post
    The TLR for the OP

Open with: VT SWP and DP (Order can be changed to suit having to move at the start of the fight, for example on Nef you will open with DP,SWP, SW (If you are levitating I do), SW:P

Keep Your Buff Up (Empowered Shadows)
    Keep VT Up
    Keep DP Up
    Keep MB On CD
    Keep Shadowfiend on Cooldown
    Keep Archangel on Cooldown
    Fill with Mind Flay
    SW while moving if reapplying DP is not a dps gain
    DP Spam while moving if SW Is on CD
    Use Dispersion to avoid some encounter mechanics
    Use SW during execute (Twice if you are glyphed for it)

Thats a spriest
    Oh this is great! I was looking for a simple rotation post like this, without all the numbers and theorycrafting behind it.

Can I ask; When is a good time to use Mind Spike in PvE?
    Warlock (SL main)

Quote Originally Posted by Thundertom View Post
    Oh this is great! I was looking for a simple rotation post like this, without all the numbers and theorycrafting behind it.

Can I ask; When is a good time to use Mind Spike in PvE?
    Omnotron slime adds, thats all I can think of off the top of my head, haven't done hardmodes on my priest.

Basically anytime your vt wouldn't tick for full duration.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ieft View Post
    Omnotron slime adds, thats all I can think of off the top of my head, haven't done hardmodes on my priest.

Basically anytime your vt wouldn't tick for full duration.
    Ah so fast dying adds that don't need AOE. Gotcha.

You could spam it 3 times and do a MB then.

Well no need for me to go all the way to Stormwind (leveling questing in Hyjal) to pick it up then.
    Warlock (SL main)

Replace the 2 trinkets with the JC Int trinket and either Volcano, a raiding DPS trinket (Mirror or Bells), or 5 man heroic (Witching Hourglass or Gale.) Reforge to Haste on whatever you get if possible.

The reforging is a mess, and some gems are off:
    Helm: Reforge Mastery > Haste, but ideally replace it with one that has Haste as a base stat (T11, Eldrich, Hexxer's).
    Shoulder: JC gem, or replace with T11 if possible
    Cloak: Crit > Spirit
    Robe: Crit > Spirit, but ideally replace this with T11 and stick the JC gem in here instead (along with Purified)
    Bracers: Mastery > Haste (depending on if you are over on hit)
    Gloves: Replace with the rep gloves from Earthen Ring; Mastery > Spirit
    Belt: Mastery > Haste or get the BoE crafted ones with Haste/Spirit
    Pants: Blue socket should be Purified Demonseye
    Ring 1: Crit > Spirit
    Off-hand: unforge

I'm not sure where this will put you in terms of Hit, but if you are over 17% unforge some of the stuff I said above, but you'll likely have to reforge back to Spirit once you change some gear.
    Last edited by Solia; 2011-04-28 at 08:23 PM.