Thread: Demonology AoE

Demonology AoE

Am kinda new to Warlock, so please forgive my ignorance.

My current 10m raid group is a little class imbalanced, and I'm thinking about switching my Priest (has 2 Shadow and 1 Disc in 10m) out for my Warlock. The raid is light on AoE and lacking the 10% spellpower buff, so it makes sense to bring in my undergeared Lock as a Demo buffmonkey and contribute to AoE, if nothing else.

With all cooldowns available, what would my AoE opener/rotation look like? Any difference between short and long AoE phases, like difference between Halfus HM start with all drakes up versus something like the reg-mode Magmaw add phase?

I see a lot of posts emphasizing Hellfire over Rain of Fire and Seed of Corruption for Demo specs. Is this still true (especially with Rain of Fire buff in 4.1)?

Thanks for any help!

Meta > Demon Leap (if you arent already in melee) > Immo Aura + Felstorm > Shadow Flame > HoG > Infernal > Hellfire > Run in Circles > Laugh Maniacally

Refresh Shadowflame and HoG between Hellfires. Use Felstorm on CD.

When AoE phase is over, soulburn and summon succubus.

Never use RoF, never use SoC, there is only hellfire!

Short AoE vs long AoE only difference really is that for something like Magmaw, you probably only want to swap back to succy when the head drops, since you can only fast swap pets 3 times per fight.
    Last edited by Delia; 2011-04-26 at 09:13 PM.

correction, drain soul the adds as they die and refresh your shards :P

Quote Originally Posted by wowremy View Post
    correction, drain soul the adds as they die and refresh your shards :P
    Yea if you can pull that off, its pretty win. Sometimes I get caught up in my maniacal laughter and forget to check the life of the adds....

Quote Originally Posted by TobiasX View Post
    Multi-Target Dps

* Felstorm if you have your Felguard out
    * Immolation Aura if Metamorphosis is active
    * Shadowflame
    * Summon Infernal (if this is where you are intending to use it for the fight)
    * Hellfire

As the numbers shrink you can keep using Shadowflame on the group and switch to single target dps to get them down quicker.
    You forgot to mention running in circles while laughing maniacally!

10+ Year Old Account
    Multi-Target Dps

* Felstorm if you have your Felguard out
    * Immolation Aura if Metamorphosis is active
    * Shadowflame
    * Summon Infernal (if this is where you are intending to use it for the fight)
    * Hellfire

As the numbers shrink you can keep using Shadowflame on the group and switch to single target dps to get them down quicker.
    ^This
    you can also do a hog before you start you aoe so your pet has 10% more crit on every single target. You can use immolation aura twice during meta although the 2nd one doesnt really do much damage its still some good passive dps. Demon leap is also a good 1 time dps boost.

For example if its like green phase of mal. you can hog the adds right before green phase starts to get your debuff on the ground. Then when it starts demon leap into the mobs turn on immo aura (have your pet start felstorming at the same thing your doing this). Then shadowflame (summon infernal) hellfire. Repeat shadowflame >hellfire over and over until immolation aura comes back up. Turn it on again then shadowflame >hellfire.

Laugh manically as your recount explodes into flames

Awesome, thanks for the good advice. Of course, now I want more freebies!

Do you not risk using Hellfire with adds that shouldn't hit you because of debuff (like Magmaw parasites infecting or Cho'gall oozes adding to Corruption Meter?). Or is Hellfire AoE big enough that you can stay a step ahead of them if they aggro to you?

Deleted
    The Hellfire AoE used to be big enough that you could hit them without any risk of getting caught by the adds, and then it got shrunk. Personally I'd wait for 5-6 seconds while your other AoE dps gets initial aggro then stand at max range to hellfire the nearest ones and watch for any aggroing you (TidyPlates is a great name plates addon that changes health bar color as you gain more aggro on the target).
    Well...if you send in Felguard and let him Felstorm, you've your own personal tank for the adds, taking enough aggro to keep even above your own insane amount of AoE damage =P
    To bad you can use it only once every 2 add groups, since they come every 30 seconds, and the CD is 45 seconds on Felstorm. Rooting them in place with HoG, bouncing on them with Demonic Leap for 2 second stun, Shadowflame and then run away just out of range but still Hellfiring works fine as well. Although I usually keep my Meta for the burnphase, and not for the adds =P

Deleted
    I'd love to, but that means my pet dies before the rest of the dps can't match his threat
    Maybe on HC, but I never had my pet die by the hands of the adds at Magmaw (he isn't affected by that thingy they do. The infection or something)...*never got into Magmaw HC* And since the OP is new to Demo and Warlock, I pressume he's doing normal as well...

Great series of posts on EJ in the demo thread about AoE spell priority:

http://elitistjerks.com/f80/t110366-..._1_updated/p6/

From Manguadi:
    21231 / 2466 = 8.6 or 9 targets and hellfire is better than immolate

9422 / 2466 = 3.8 or 4 targets and hellfire is better than corruption

So if you have less than 9 targets, apply immolate to all targets before using hellfire.

How we approach norm Magmaw is that I'm still stacked up with melee group, and it's just the hunter out at range kiting the adds. Every 1 1/2-2 sets of adds, I send my pet into the parasites after they've all spawned and lolstorm them down. A little bit of pet micromanagement is required though while you're still doing you're full normal rotation on the boss as you gotta watch that the felguard doesn't kill one of the parasites and then strolls back to stand next to you, bringing all the remaining parasites with him. Just camera placement, select new parasite and get pet to attack that. Nice seeing pet doing 8-9k dps for the fight too

Quote Originally Posted by Delia View Post
    You forgot to mention running in circles while laughing maniacally!
    Indeed, pulling up 100k dps spikes on some aoe fights is kinda funny.
    I mostly already in melee range if I need to aoe (whelp/maloriak adds etc), be certain hand of guldan is up --> aoe call made --> WAIT FOR TRINKET PROCS SO IMPORTANT --> then hit meta/demon soul --> immo aura --> shadowflame --> felstorm --> hellfire /lol and laugh at other classes that are aoe-ing.
    ||<>||<>|| Zvix - What Went Wrong - Talnivarr Eu||<>||<>||
    ||<>||<>|| Warlock Boss Movies -10m --> Nefarian, Al´Akir, Cho'gall and others!||<>||<>||
    ||<>||<>|| http://www.youtube.com/user/zvix01 ||<>||<>|| www.talnivarr.com ||<>||<>||

yea... make sure they have good aggro before u start ur hulk smashing on aoe on our MT on halfus and stuff that make me wait about 20 seconds(not so much on regular mal in green phase but they hit for nothing so tanking them is meh..) and then i jsut meta hog felstorm shadowflame and helfire spam... works like a charm.

there isnt really anything to talk about either... but a good idea is to keep bane of doom on the boss/main target gets some good passive dmg while u break recount and other recording addons/sites.

/edit forgot to add on cho'gall get the glyph of shadowflame and use hellfire it will save u alot.