10+ Year Old Account
    Sigh. Spreading the cancer, good job.
    "After dealing with about 10 000 patients over the last 15 years, I would say that over 200 different medical conditions respond favorably to cannabis."
    - The late Dr. Tod Mikuriya, MD, interview in The Union: The business behind getting high
    Former national administrator of the U.S. Government's marijuana research programs
    http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/home

Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    probably the same reason people like spongebob, or whatever cartoon is in your avatar

and since a mod felt the need to delete my older post, I haven't seen the newer one but I enjoyed the old one
    It's a video game in my avatar, actually, but that's irrelevant, haha.
    I don't really know any people outside of middle schoolers who enjoy Spongebob either, but they are quite different shows anyway.

I'm just confused since people seem to be REALLY into it. And I don't understand what makes the show different from any other kid's show. Why did it get so popular so fast? I think I know more adults who watch it than kids do. Which is mildly frightening, but hey, to each their own. What's so fantastic about this show that made it into this huge cult thing?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dassen View Post
    Back! Back you demon of stupidity!

---------- Post added 2011-04-27 at 04:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    It's a video game in my avatar, actually, but that's irrelevant, haha.
    I don't really know any people outside of middle schoolers who enjoy Spongebob either, but they are quite different shows anyway.

I'm just confused since people seem to be REALLY into it. And I don't understand what makes the show different from any other kid's show. Why did it get so popular so fast? I think I know more adults who watch it than kids do. Which is mildly frightening, but hey, to each their own. What's so fantastic about this show that made it into this huge cult thing?
    All thanks to the works of a Mrs. Lauren Faust, she took the concept of what a girls T.V show was, I.E boring and unfunny and completely ran with it, it makes the show great that it can actually appeal to people older than aged 5, having some more in-depth jokes and references, as well as some genuinely great scenes.

It's got legitimate character development, beautiful animation, and more importantly, some god-damned ponies!

I implore anyone that reads this thread to atleast have a look, even if you decide it's not for you

http://www.youtube.com/user/pensivepony is the link to a channel that has every episode uploaded for your viewing pleasure, and
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfMmt...el_video_title is the first episode, to get started with

Love and happiness to ya'll
    Quote Originally Posted by eternalwhitemoon View Post
    Why strive to be excellent, when being just mediocre still kills the boss?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beno113 View Post
    ... it can actually appeal to people older than aged 5, having some more in-depth jokes and references, as well as some genuinely great scenes.
    Perhaps physically older, but maybe not mentally.
    You enjoy a show that's aimed at little girls, that's fine. The first minute or so of the show mentions the use of "unicorn powers" and focuses on a pony called Twilight Sparkle. The story (if the opening sequence is anything to go by) seems lame and cliche at best, but that's understandable as the show is aimed at toddlers. Trying to pass it off as something developed for all ages isn't fooling anyone and that's what's annoying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Last edited by roboscorcher; 2011-04-27 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiphan View Post
    Perhaps physically older, but maybe not mentally.
    You enjoy a show that's aimed at little girls, that's fine. The first minute or so of the show mentions the use of "unicorn powers" and focuses on a pony called Twilight Sparkle. The story (if the opening sequence is anything to go by) seems lame and cliche at best, but that's understandable as the show is aimed at toddlers. Trying to pass it off as something developed for all ages isn't fooling anyone and that's what's annoying.
    Says the guy with a Pingu avatar, isnt that show aimed at babies?

Also its aimed at 10 year olds, not toddlers get it right

Youtube actually tells a different tale

Like it not, grown men are the target audience now
    The creator has even embraced this fact, awnsering their questions on the show and including many popular fan characters like Derpy Whooves more.

Deleted
    The Brony Legion will conquer all.
    Expect us.

Would little kids get that reference?

Quote Originally Posted by pickley View Post

Would little kids get that reference?
    A fan made clip? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Longview View Post
    A fan made clip? Really?
    Audio is fan made, but i didnt realise they actually animated her looking back like that, how did you know that?! Are you a wizard?!

idk if it counts but back in BC I had an arena team names "My Little Pawnies"

10+ Year Old Account
    Says the guy with a Pingu avatar, isnt that show aimed at babies?
    Yeah it is a show aimed at babies, a reason I've not watched the show in a very long time. I have the avatar because I enjoyed the show when I was a younger.

Also its aimed at 10 year olds, not toddlers get it right :)
    Oh well that's vastly better!

Like it not, grown men are the target audience now
    The creator has even embraced this fact, awnsering their questions on the show and including many popular fan characters like Derpy Whooves more.
    Maybe this'll better the show. However, I doubt it'll change much and it shouldn't. It's a children's show, it doesn't need to appeal to adults. Let the children have it.
    The first episodes aren't aimed at "grown men", yet they watch and really enjoy it anyway; it doesn't need to change to appeal to its adult audience. They seem to love it a huge amount as it stands.

And Derpy Whooves? Wow, what an adult and mature addition.

As a positive however, the animation quality is pretty great.

Yeah it is a show aimed at babies, a reason I've not watched the show in a very long time. I have the avatar because I enjoyed the show when I was a younger.

Maybe this'll better the show. However, I doubt it'll change much and it shouldn't. It's a children's show, it doesn't need to appeal to adults. Let the children have it.
    The first episodes aren't aimed at "grown men", yet they watch and really enjoy it anyway; it doesn't need to change to appeal to its adult audience. They seem to love it a huge amount as it stands.

And Derpy Whooves? Wow, what an adult and mature addition.

As a positive however, the animation quality is pretty great.
    Its a show based on love and friendship, why you gotta hate so much?

Also i didnt say Derpy was a mature addition. I said the creator listened to what the adult community was saying and catered to what they wanted. Because the show is enjoyed by all ages, not just the target audience, surely that shows how great the show is.

Actually, I was a kid when MLP was first around, I enjoyed it then. I had Majesty with her Castle & little Spike. Those were the days. (Yes, I'm female, but guys might remember playing with their friends/sisters who had them.)

I also have taken a liking to this new version. Something makes me feel like it's aimed at the ORIGINAL MLP fans (i.e, me when I was 5-6 and now as a twenty-something) as well as the younger generation now.

Along with a sense of nostalgia while watching it, it also has some really great (and sometimes rather mature) humour (that kids won'tunderstand, but that's okay, it's not necessary to enjoy the show) and some sappy sweetness to make you feel like a kid at heart. I don't really understand all the hate. It's lovely

[edit] Also, I happen to be a cartoon-style artist, I LOVE those facial expressions and animation. It's awesome.

Deleted
    Representing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhazrun View Post
    Representing.

Rarity is one of the best Ponies btw

"Thats not whining its complaining, thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis is whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiining"
    Last edited by pickley; 2011-04-27 at 08:24 PM.

Deleted
    I love this show! It is really entertaining and funny + IN ADDITION it can teach us some very important things...
    Personally I'm more patient and I try to live with everyone in peace. Isn't it brilliant? This world needs love, kindness and true friendships...
    /hug for every pony around here!
    Best wishes to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Dassen View Post
    You seem upset. Do you want a hug? Anything that will calm you down?
    Last edited by mmoc829d37085d; 2011-04-27 at 08:34 PM.

[...]
    Lord of the Rings was geared for a sixth grade audience.
    One Piece is targeted at a (Japanese) middle school audience (something 4kids and, arguably, Funimation doesn't get)
    Looney Toons were aimed at kids.

Television should not be treated as something we just stick our children in front of and forget about 'em. Parents should be able to watch and enjoy the shows that children watch. It should be capable of engaging multiple levels of viewership. In doing so, it does more to stimulate thinking and family interaction than the insipid garbage that comprises 90% of "kids TV".

If a show is so bland and discardable as to be fit "only for children" then it isn't a show I'd care to have my children watch.

Deleted
    Rarity is one of the best Ponies
    No doubting that. The show's VA is golden all around, but she's in a league of her own.

its ok, we just need to love and tolerate the shit outta the negative people!
    Peter: It's already done. I dropped them all off at Toys for Toddlers last night.
    Brian: All? Peter, only only one gift was for charity, the rest were for the family.
    Peter: No, the rest were from the family. Weren't they? (Pauses.) Oh crap...since when did they change the meaning of "for" to "from"?
    Brian: They had a meeting about it last night.
    Peter: Why wasn't I told?
    Brian: They sent you a card, but it said "for Peter" on it so you must of thought it was from you, so you didn't...you know, its just easier to call you stupid.