Sooooo... What is maul good for now???

Just curious what u guys are doing with maul, now that lacerate hits harder? I experimented getting rid of it off my bars and threat feels the same, no issues in single-target or aoe. Sure, I am rage capping, but to tell you the truth, that doesn't bother me as a tank cause I'm not trying to chase to DPS meters like I am on my Fury warrior. I feel like my rage gen is more secure without maul, being that rage gen was always an issue, especially early on in a fight (No, I don't use maul early on in a pull). Now I just Mangle/enrage macro and I have no rage issues for the remainder of a fight and forget about ever mauling.

I'm still not sure if I should change back to putting maul on the bars b/c it is intended to dump rage. But my epiphany is... dammit why do I care about dumping it! Does pooling rage really make a bear ineffective? I really just don't mind capping as long I have something to do with each GCD. Pushing out some extra damage and avoiding rage cap has become kinda *meh* a level of extra complexity that is frankly, not necessary IMHO. But I want to know what other more experienced bears feel about it. Maul useful?? Maul Necessary?? Maul just a waste??

edit***
    It does scale higher with vengeance, maybe that is reason enough to keep it?? IDK?? Please give your insights.
    Last edited by Morphologic; 2011-04-27 at 04:10 PM.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well I like to put out the most threat & damage I can. Cant do that when you're choosing not to use your own abilities and choosing to be raged capped ?

I see no reason to stop using maul.

There is no reason to stop using an ability that is off the GCD and can proc SD.

More chances for procs of SD as Katarn said plus simply more damage. The faster a fight is ended the less chance for errors and who doesn't like trying to push your dps/threat to its maximum potential.