Computer keeps freezing or shutting off

So for about the past month or so my computer in the middle of playing WoW or Starcraft will just shut off or freeze. I'm not the best with computer so I'm not quit sure whats been happening. I thought it was my video card but it says its up to date, and I still have 4g of ram working. Then when I took it to a local computer store they just said that there was nothing wrong.

If anyone can figure out whats been wrong it would be awesome.

P.s. It's a laptop of that changes anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Laptop? Hmmmm......overheating is something that could be responsible. Check CPU temperatures using CoreTemp (google it) when you're playing those games, tell us what you get.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

10+ Year Old Account
    What laptop is it? My Toshiba Satellite has been doing this for weeks now...

Like Xuv said though. It's even more likely to be overheating since it's freezing while playing games.
    I once had a character named "Clamslam" but Blizzard deemed it inappropriate.
    Retired from WoW: February 19, 2011. It was fun Blizz.

That might be it Xuvial, I started a quick 1v1 and it went from 50 to 68 right after the start, and its still climbing.

(edit): It just shut off at 75 c, and when it shuts off it makes a crackling noise. Shamslam its a Hp pavilion.
    Last edited by mufu x25; 2011-04-28 at 02:05 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    75c is pretty warm, even for a laptop...but I thought laptops were built to handle getting hot o_O

Well if that laptop is your primary machine, it would be worth getting a cooling pad and seeing if the crashes stop happening. Hell I'd buy a cooling pad for ANY laptop that I'm using for anything other than web browsing :P
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2011-04-28 at 02:34 AM.

It's not even really the freezing up part thats rare. It will just shutoff and make some cracking noises in my headset while playing a game, even if I move it like an inch in the wrong direction then well it's GG

10+ Year Old Account
    And your local computer store said nothing was wrong lol?
    Well....go with a cooling pad (or find a way to cool the damn thing, e.g. ice pack + towel) and see if things change.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    go with a cooling pad (or find a way to cool the damn thing, e.g. ice pack + towel) and see if things change.
    I'll put a chill pad on it and see how that works, thanks a trillion Xuvial and Shamslam

Ahh there good old Issue of people trying to play games on laptops, they might be "gaming laptops" but they still have alot of hardware in a very small place making alot of heat.

Where is the heat coming from? the CPU or the middle of the laptop, are the fans working?

Is it hot air that is coming out of the laptop?
    How old is the laptop? (warranty?)
    Has it always ran warm?
    Sounds like the shop u first took it too have a bunch of no hopers, you could try take it to another computer shop and get the graphics card and cpu reseated (replace the thermal compound)

In some cases when the cpu starts over heating its a sigh the cpu might be starting to get near its end of life.

If the thermal shut down is causeing the system to turn off you need to look into it fast or u can cause permanent damage to other components.
    Last edited by Saught; 2011-04-28 at 03:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saught View Post
    Ahh there good old Issue of people trying to play games on laptops, they might be "gaming laptops" but they still have alot of hardware in a very small place making alot of heat.

Where is the heat coming from? the CPU or the middle of the laptop, are the fans working?

Is it hot air that is coming out of the laptop?
    How old is the laptop? (warranty?)
    Has it always ran warm?
    Sounds like the shop u first took it too have a bunch of no hopers, you could try take it to another computer shop and get the graphics card and cpu reseated (replace the thermal compound)

In some cases when the cpu starts over heating its a sigh the cpu might be starting to get near its end of life.

If the thermal shut down is causeing the system to turn off you need to look into it fast or u can cause permanent damage to other components.
    You could always open it up and repaste/clean everything up.

Deleted
    It's definitely overheating as I had the same problem. Your best bet is to get a cooling pad and a vial of compressed air to clean it up a bit on the fans.
    On laptops it's common when you play on your bed or something like that (yes on your blanket or something) without a cooling pad and all the dust gets stuck on your fans.