Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Anyone remember the old simple rpg's...

...and how fun they used to be?

First I ever played was called Telengard on Commodore 64.

,....but what really started my Love was Dragon Warrior on NES.

Nothing was more satisfying than discovering those new lands or leveling up enough until you can kill the Dragon blocking the little tunnel to reach the southern parts.

The excitement of randomly encountering a monster that could take 5 minutes to kill, getting that heal off with 1 hp left and winning.

Those were the days..

Quote Originally Posted by Oni View Post
    Knights of Xentar, great fun.
    ROFL, never saw that, now that is a "Hardcore" Raid lol.

Deleted
    Yeah, Dragon Warrior on the NES was my first RPG too...good times.
    2nd one was Dungeon Master on the Atari ST, if anyone remembers that. I got stuck on the respawning worms on level 3 and didn't go back to it for like a year.

Remember those old "Eye of The Beholder" D&D games?

I sucked at those. Ultima too.

I still play them. Actually I've been trying to figure out how to get windows 7 to play dos games. My windows 98 and vista machines can.

Edit: For the record, best D&D rpg game I've ever played on the computer is Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession series (which includes the Mummy's Curse).

Quote Originally Posted by Baker St Irregulars View Post
    I still play them. Actually I've been trying to figure out how to get windows 7 to play dos games. My windows 98 and vista machines can.
    Try DOSBox.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraza View Post
    Try DOSBox.
    Dosbox is ok but it fails on sound half the time. Supposed to be an update this September or something for the windows 7 issues.

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    you dont get more classic than paper and pencil DnD

on a side note why is this in wow general forums.
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoGhost View Post
    you dont get more classic than paper and pencil DnD
    That one is a little bit harder to play on my computer at work...

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    That one is a little bit harder to play on my computer at work...
    PBEM or PBMB

10+ Year Old Account
    My favourite old RPG(in the broadest sense possible) is Seiken Densetsu 3 for the SNES. It was never released officially outside Japan, but a fanlated ROM is widely popular for those of you with the inclination to get SNES9xW. It's a prequel to the Secret of Mana game, which WAS released here in the west(available on Wii Store, if you wanna try it).

Anyway, first time I beat SD3 was ten years ago, and I still play it whenever I can. It also has TONS of possibilities for player imposed challenges, which only adds to its value. Love it^^
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Going for the old era of NES: Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy (Yes, I beat the NES version of Final Fantasy 1, with all it's horrible mechanics).

Hitting the SNES, oh my.

Chrono Trigger (Still one of the GREATEST. Killer story, amazing replay value, and the almighty Double and Triple Tech skills that hauled ass!)
    Secret of Evermore (A total blast of an Action RPG. Alchemy instead of magic, greatly varied environments, from prehistoric to futuristic)
    Earthbound (Screw the swords and sorcery, baseball bats and psychic powers!)
    Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen (RTS-RPG on some rather epic level of replay value, with over a dozen endings, based on so many things)
    Final Fantasy II and III (Can't argue with near perfection. Screw Final Fantasy VII, II and III were way better. And yes, I know they are IV and VI now, based on proper Japanese numbering for them)

Trying to think of any others, but those are the big stand-outs of my SNES life

PBEM or PBMB
    Once more, in English?

Once more, in English?
    PBEM = Play By E-Mail
    PBMB = Play By Message Board

I'm happy to host either type of game

there's also play by chat room.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I was too young to ever play NES, I have played SNES and omg the games for it are amazing. Now I'm gonna deviate a little bit from the usual overrated titles such as SD3, Chrono Trigger Dragon quest/FF. Not saying they're bad, I'm just gonna bring up a few titles that are really good and forgotten with time. Not sure how many have actually found the english translation patch and patched it to it's (J) version but one really great game is Live a Live. Not to mention Rudra No Hihou. <--- its worth searching for the english patch :P

Once more, in English?
    Play by E-Mail, or Play by Message Board (or PBP, Play by Post). There is also several "virtual tables", WotC has an official one in Beta right now, so it's becoming possible to play classic D&D online.

Remember those old "Eye of The Beholder" D&D games?

I sucked at those. Ultima too.
    Eye of The Beholder is awesome!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Suikoden View Post
    While I was too young to ever play NES, I have played SNES and omg the games for it are amazing. Now I'm gonna deviate a little bit from the usual overrated titles such as SD3, Chrono Trigger Dragon quest/FF. Not saying they're bad, I'm just gonna bring up a few titles that are really good and forgotten with time. Not sure how many have actually found the english translation patch and patched it to it's (J) version but one really great game is Live a Live. Not to mention Rudra No Hihou. <--- its worth searching for the english patch :P
    In alll fairness, the only time I've seen SD3 mentioned in a forum was in my post in this thread. Secret of Mana is the usually mentioned one

Also, searching for the ones you mentioned! Dey betta be good, mon!
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Hey since this has turned into a general idea of games: GoldenSun. That game series is freaking awesome. Nintendo doesn't support it as much as they should because of some comments made by the nintendo about how people outside of japan don't really play RPGs... :eyeroll: I know. But, it's one of the best NEW rpgs I've played in recent years. I love the entire series.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey since this has turned into a general idea of games: GoldenSun. That game series is freaking awesome. Nintendo doesn't support it as much as they should because of some comments made by the nintendo about how people outside of japan don't really play RPGs... :eyeroll: I know. But, it's one of the best NEW rpgs I've played in recent years. I love the entire series.
    whoa whoa WHOA! No matter how awesome GS is, let's keep this thread retro'd!

However, I agree that Golden Sun is one of the best new RPG franchises we have^^