Mind Flay Broken...?

On a targeting dummy I cast mind flay at 2.4 seconds, over and over. No problem. In raid it goes down to 2.3 (Thanks to additional buffs), HOWEVER every 4 or 5 casts it'll go up to a 2.8, 3.0, and 3.1 second cast, varying between the lengths in time. I have no debuffs I'm aware of, nothing just hit me, there is no AOE going on. It's happening on trash, boss pulls everything, dungeons you name it. WTH is going ON!? It's driving me NUTS!! I just had three 3.0 second casts in a row while on trash (Big guys after twin dragons), and rage alt-tabbed to make this post. The other spriests are seeing this happen as well.

Someone...tell me what is going on before I rage quit this game. x__x I hate how I'm pewpewing then all the sudden sluggish Mind Flay of doom hits me. It even happens during heroism, my 1.7 second cast goes up into the 2 second range.

HELP!!! *Cries*

Mindflaying a mob in the raid right now:

2.2--- oh wait no 2.6 it changed the time a milasecond into the cast

MAKE IT STOP. Lol....my friend just had a 3.2 sec cast, isn't that longer than the damned base cast without haste? T_T I donno not looking it up.. *huggles my knees in a corner and QQs*
    Last edited by Solfire; 2011-04-29 at 02:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    3.2 sec cast just now :/

They "fixed" it so that you cannot clip it when chain casting it(that mainly happened for players with not so ping).
    The result is, that if you clip it, the time for the next tick to happen will be added to your next mindflay, in addition with the tick.

If that's a good fix, i don't know. At leasts it's better than loosing ticks.
    It also affects Mindsear as far i noticed.

Edit: from patchnotes
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Mind Flay should no longer lose a tick of damage when the last tick is clipped by another Mind Flay cast.

Uuughhh I hate the feel of it, why wasn't this mentioned in patch notes or was it? like when I do mf2 on purpose...just..gah

---------- Post added 2011-04-29 at 02:28 AM ----------

Poopy...I seriously didn't see that. well thanks for the response :\ I'll just get used to it I guess x_x

Actually, why doesn't it happen on a target dummy then? do I just clip mf non stop in raids but never on a target dummy? >_> I don't think I"m that bad...at least I hope I'm not that bad..
    Last edited by Solfire; 2011-04-29 at 02:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfire View Post
    Actually, why doesn't it happen on a target dummy then? do I just clip mf non stop in raids but never on a target dummy? >_> I don't think I"m that bad...at least I hope I'm not that bad..
    For me it does happen on dummies if i force it.
    Maybe you only notice it in raids because your latency is a bit higher while raiding?

Maybe... is it okay if I keep hoping it's a mistake and there's a bug somewhere..? :\

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe... is it okay if I keep hoping it's a mistake and there's a bug somewhere..? :\
    Why would you want it to be a bug? All it does is add the last tick onto your next cast if you clip it. You're not losing casting time or anything; the bit that's added to your next cast is the same amount of time you would've spent waiting for the first cast to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeastRivin View Post
    Why would you want it to be a bug? All it does is add the last tick onto your next cast if you clip it. You're not losing casting time or anything; the bit that's added to your next cast is the same amount of time you would've spent waiting for the first cast to finish.
    I want the clipping to be fixed while mf always remains the same cast time.. because.. I... just do. >_>; It's a good thing, I just hate the way it feels. I keep thinking I'm slowed or something and it bugs me...clunky feeling ya know? I'll get used to it eventually... but for now I'll pretend some day it'll go back to a consistent cast so I don't eye twitch every time the speed is different.

I find this kind of funny because i wasn't aware of any bug until i read this post, i guess i dont fail at mindflay ~

Anyway, no idea why you are complaining, i just tested this on dummies.
    MF Cast 2.3 Sec = .766* per tick
    I Broke mindflay with another mindflay RIGHT AFTER the 2nd tick, my new mindflay was 3.# seconds 2.3+.766* = 3.066
    I've been trying to break mindflay as late as possible and it is only adding +.2 or +.3 to my regular mindflay cast time.

In both cases i was receiving 6 ticks in total, so there is no loss to this change in mechanic, higher dps if u are a bad player who cant help but to mindflay.
    It would be interesting to see what happens when you lose channel time due to random raid damage of i gain that tick back.

I'm complaining because I didn't know why it was doing it and I don't like the time constantly jumping. >_> That is all... just sudden change in play style (kinda I guess), caught me off guard. Like my friend when he got a slow mindflay, he'd immediately recast mindflay thinking it was slowed somehow... not knowing what was going on. Just all around annoying. >_<;

I swear I read the patch notes...I really don't know how I missed it.

I haz snickerdoodles Want some?

And yea it's frustrating to read the patch notes and realize that you somehow missed something. I only knew about this because someone posted a "yay they fixed MF" thread a day or so ago and... well ima troll

YOUR ICON HAS CHANGED! *omnomnoms on snickerdoodles* dankiii. I think I'm already starting to like the change.. just takes me 24 hours to ease up to something different.

Quote Originally Posted by Strykie View Post
    I find this kind of funny because i wasn't aware of any bug until i read this post, i guess i dont fail at mindflay ~
    Maybe, but the game was failing at mindflay for you, whether you knew it or not. The bug with MF was that the debuff on the target sometimes lagged behind the actual channel of the spell, causing the last tick not to happen. There were also occasional middle ticks just disappearing. These were reported on the bug forums numerous times, but as afaik, never acknowledged by Blizz. Seems to me like they couldn't figure out how to fix it, so came up with this new mechanic. I didn't notice it during Wed's raid, saw this thread and messed with the dummies some to force it, and it feels really strange, like finally breaking the T10 bonus after Cata's release.

Deleted
    #showtooltip
    /cast [nochanneling] Mind Flay
    That one prevents clipping it so you can keymash alot (:

Just logged my spriest and can confirm that its the tics that round up for the next casts.
    Also logged my warlock and tried drainsoul/life and its the same there as with the mind flay so after trying this sometimes i found that the noneclipping macro is needed now if u want to use channeling spells fully in the game now.
    Macro is /cast [nochanneling] Mind Flay (or drain sould/life)
    if anyone find something els to prevent it plz tell

YOUR ICON HAS CHANGED! *omnomnoms on snickerdoodles* dankiii. I think I'm already starting to like the change.. just takes me 24 hours to ease up to something different.
    Yea... SOME people thought my old one was a fox, so Sy made me a new one and hopefully there will be no more of that nonsense

Stood in the Fire PromiscuousPenguin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Yea... SOME people thought my old one was a fox, so Sy made me a new one and hopefully there will be no more of that nonsense
    At 1st glance i thought your current one was a fox -_-

Quote Originally Posted by Executz View Post
    At 1st glance i thought your current one was a fox -_-
    Aww /sadface

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Your new bear cub avatar is very nice

[Hee hee hee]