Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Upptagen View Post
    Lol. Yes, 1/4 of the year it's pretty true.
    1/4?! I live outside of Gävle, which is about 200 kilometers northwest of Sweden's capital city, Stockholm.
    The first snow came mid november, lasted untill just a couple of weeks ago. That's almost half the bloody year.

Quote Originally Posted by Cusco View Post
    I am from Sweden so I can't really provide you with a good answer. But the way I imagine people see Scandinavia, is the way I see Switzerland: A small country* that's pretty neutral, the people seem friendly, I don't know much about the country but have nothing bad to say.

* = Three countries, in the case of Scandinavia.
    Isn't it four? Sweden, Finland, Norway & Denmark.
    Last edited by Dassen; 2011-05-01 at 02:31 PM.
    "After dealing with about 10 000 patients over the last 15 years, I would say that over 200 different medical conditions respond favorably to cannabis."
    - The late Dr. Tod Mikuriya, MD, interview in The Union: The business behind getting high
    Former national administrator of the U.S. Government's marijuana research programs
    http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/home

Deleted
    Swedish people are often bragging about how awesome their country is and they pretty much only want to play with other swedish people.
    whats good about scandinavians is that they are very good at english and u can easily communicate with them. (this is from my experience gaming with them)

The whole story about that country being filled with hot blonde chicks is just a story made up by people.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nahak View Post
    Swedish people are often bragging about how awesome their country is and they pretty much only want to play with other swedish people.
    whats good about scandinavians is that they are very good at english and u can easily communicate with them. (this is from my experience gaming with them)

The whole story about that country being filled with hot blonde chicks is just a story made up by people.
    I agree with this guy. I'm from sweden, and we have a bunch of arrogant people :/
    I don't know where you have been spending time in sweden but where i live..it is filled with hot blonde chicks :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nahak View Post

Or is it?

We got great internet connection over here though, atleast in Sweden.

Quote Originally Posted by Dassen View Post
    Isn't it four? Sweden, Finland, Norway & Denmark.
    No, Finland isn't included.
    Sweden is nice except when it's cold as fuck. Also annoying when the polar bears start their raids!

Herald of the Titans
    15+ Year Old Account
    Techno Viking

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ishootblanks View Post
    Techno Viking
    i love that guy, gives me the creeps
    Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI CODE | Intel Core i9-9900k | 32GB RAM DDR4-3200 CL16 | ASUS RTX 2080 SUPER

Norway representing

Norway got the oil
    Denmark got Lego and beer
    Sweden was built by germans during WW2

First of all I'm Danish myself... however I did go to the US for 6 months, and found this very question quite interesting myself, and thus here is what I found:

1. pretty much the first thing that Americans seem to think (at least in the Mid-west and northeast) is Scandinavia = FAIRYTALE LAND! kings, queens, princes and princesses, and a load of them!

2. We're (scandinavians) all happy-happy-joy'ish people.

3. 8/10 cannot place us on a map of the world (despite being university/college students)
    3.1: a really messed up sense og geography, Amsterdam = capital of Denmark etc.

4. Social Democratism, our political systems where none is left to rot on their own, is quite 'famous'. Furthermore, to a lot of young students, it actually seems appealing, inspite of our mad taxation levels.

There's probably more, but can't really remember...might add something later ;-)

Denmark is the best.
    We got the beautiful blondes and the best parties.. And we know how to drink our brains out, and we're always ready to party the next day.

Oh and, Denmark also got alot of e-flexers and kids who play WoW/CSS (And most of them sound like 10year old girls).

15+ Year Old Account
    It's probably as nice as anywhere else in the world.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

When I think of Scandinavia, I think of tall, gorgeous platinum blondes, people with funny accents, and metal bands using the power of rock to defeat ancient monsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    ^ no one calls it Social Democratism, it's called the welfare state - not allowed to post links

It's something the Americans would not understand due to their upbringing, basically they think we're communists if you bring it up.
    What do you base this on?
    Because what I said, I actually KNOW from my stay at a college in Wisconsin.

Also, if you're as caught up in details as it sounds, you probably shouldn't generalize saying "the Americans" and "due to their upbringing". first of all it's infested with prejudice and second of all it's impossible to talk about a general 'attitude' of a country the size of America. Just try to look upon our own little country with 5 million people, and think about how hard it is to say something like that about our upbringing and mindset (should you find that easy, then try Europe!!)

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm an American (34/m) that has spent a lot of time in Denmark and I've been to Sweden as well. My step-mother lives there with my half-sister and I've been lucky enough to stay in Copenhagen for months at a time. I have met MANY Scandinavians and I consider Copenhagen (Herlev/Gladsaxe) as my second home. I immediately loved Copenhagen when I arrived for the first time in 1997. I have been back six more times since then and I have considered moving there permanently.

I love a lot about the country, but I especially love the people. They are publicly reserved and stoic, but privately warm and engaging. As an American, it is so refreshing to experience Danish day to day life without the constant bickering between political ideologues. In America, it seems the first thing people want to know about you is your religion, your political views, your views on gay marriage or abortion. This is tiresome. In Denmark, people are always asking you about YOU. I always feel welcomed into a Dane's home.

I enjoy the aesthetics of Scandinavian design, from furniture to electronics. I loved Stockholm's winding waterways and Copenhagen's quaint, green neighborhoods. My family lives in Herlev and I really love the feel of this neighborhood. It feels so small town, but Husum is just a little walk down the street and it's very cosmopolitan for a suburb.

Other things I love about Copenhagen: Doner Kebabs, Tivoli, Bakken, Smorrebrod, New Year's Eve fireworks, Cocio, Tuborg, Danish women, Festelavn, Frikadeller, Nyhavn, Kastrup, Best public transportation in the world, non-religious, great hash, Stroeget, Christiana, almost zero poverty, no gun culture, and most of all -- few Americans.

Skaal!
    EverQuest, City of Heroes, Star Wars Galaxies, EverQuest II, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Star Wars TOR, Guild Wars 2, Rift.

10+ Year Old Account
    hawt blond chicks, hawt busty blond chicks with beer.
    I'm just a fan of a brand new wiki: pcgamingwiki.com
    A one stop place to help you get your favorite PCGames not only running on your machine, fix issues you might have, find the latest patches from the developers or fans, and more.
    It's a brand new site, so help out by contributing.

The thought that you guys might look down upon immigrants and globalisation depresses me a little. (saw that in a documentary - if it's true, I can definitely understand your sentiments given the way the world is currently!)

That being said, I imagine all good things about it. Great food, BEAUTIFUL language, beautiful people, awesome music, HIGH HIGH HIGH literacy rate and Ikea!

10+ Year Old Account
    Scandinavia brings us some very hawt blonde chicks so whats there not to love?

everything is made out of chocolate and vanilla and everyone lives inside a giant tree house and they are driving unicorns
    ...seriously?

10+ Year Old Account
    My dad is Finnish and so the first thing I think when I hear "Scandinavia" is "Oh shit, I bet I'm going to have to explain to yet another person that Finland is not part of Scandinavia."

Edit: Also, my dad turns 74 this year, and when I got him to sign up for a WoW trial account a couple years back he made an undead warrior named "Vanhaukko", which means "old man" and apparently is the name of some ancient Finnish deity or mythological figure. I just thought that was awesome, and needed to share. He doesn't play WoW anymore though, only lasted through the trial account and up to level 15 or so.
    Last edited by MissCleo; 2011-05-01 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    This is definitely the case in many parts of Europe, and especially true for Denmark we have a party in our parliament that is pretty much about not allowing non-westerners access to our country.

http://www.danskfolkeparti.dk/The_Pa...ples_Party.asp
    :|

I completely understand why it might be the case though. I just hope some of us can show you that we're indeed different and if we moved to your country, we'd adapt, and appreciate it for what it was rather than impose our beliefs and systems upon you.