Hit and Expertise Caps?

EDIT : Cheers so am i right in saying ignore hit / exp bascially, reforge for mastery and if cant mastery go dodge / parry?

Hey simple question, What are the hit rating and expertise soft caps for DK tank for Hcs and for raids? Also is there any numbers for mastery and dodge/parry i should aim for? Help is appreciated
    Last edited by Blayzee; 2011-05-02 at 03:27 PM.

What spec? Guessing Blood since you said dodge/parry

And 'cause he said tank.

Dunno if 4.1 changed anything as I don't play DK, but as far as I've heard hit and expertise aren't valuable stats for DK tanks, could be wrong, though.

I just found this on EJ Blood tanking thread and I know the poster to be a great tank so I trust what he says.

"Keep in mind you do still need SOME hit/exp, but it's not necessary to get capped in either. The actual 'cap' is a dynamic number that will change from person to person. Sure, you're going to have strings of dodge/miss/parry as some point if you aren't capped, but I've been sub 2% hit and around 12-18 expertise this entire teir and haven't had it turn into a serious issue at ANY point. For those ppl who argue about interrupts and being hit capped, I don't consider that into this statement because in 25 mans, interrupts are covered by other people than the tank. You can assist with them, but shouldn't be involved in any rotation due to the fact you shouldn't be hit capped or you're gimping your survival."

Don't really need to gem for hit/exp. What you get on gear you will be reforging to mastery/avoidance depending on whether you are a mastery or avoidance tank or to balance avoidance. Since Parry Haste is a thing of the past and we are refunded the rune cost if we fail to land a special (we do lose a GCD though), hit/exp are low on our priority list. Anything left behind after reforging is good enough.

1. Our interrupts can no longer miss.
    2. Ideally we want 0 hit and minimum expertise. We get 6 expertise from spec.
    3. We can't achieve 0% hit/8 expertise with a 4piece t11 set though. Either head- or shoulderpiece has hit.

EDIT: Checked with WoWhead now that I'm not lazy. Thanks, Augh.
    Last edited by Drunkenvalley; 2011-05-02 at 07:29 AM.

Deleted
    I always remember it as 6 expertise from baseline, don't recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Augh View Post
    I always remember it as 6 expertise from baseline, don't recall.
    Indeed, that is the case according to WOWhead.

Last week doing Cho'Gall I found expertise much more valuable than people think. As mastery is the most sought-after stat for DK tanks, you need to actually hit with your Death Strikes in order to make use for it. I found myself getting 3 DS's getting parried in a row. If you are going to say "that's just 3 GCD's wasted", I say it's more like 4.5 seconds without blood shield, which in my book is significantly worse. Oh, and I'm hit capped and expertise softcapped.

So if you want to tank raid bosses and not get cursed by your healers, I suggest you get at least 5% hit and 26 expertise. It's not hard.

Last week doing Cho'Gall I found expertise much more valuable than people think. As mastery is the most sought-after stat for DK tanks, you need to actually hit [...]
    Stopped reading there to quite frankly point out: No, you don't.
    The rating you wasted on that bullshit could've been invested in some real survivability stats.

Cheers so am i right in saying ignore hit / exp bascially, reforge for mastery and if cant mastery go dodge / parry?

Quote Originally Posted by Blayzee View Post
    Cheers so am i right in saying ignore hit / exp bascially, reforge for mastery and if cant mastery go dodge / parry?
    More or less. Just don't reforge mastery into avoidance if you're going mastery, or the reverse.

nowadays, where interupts have 100% hitchance baseline, hit has lost even more on value. (which is more an issue in 10m, in 25s you wont be interupting anyway)

not hitting a mob isnt that much of an issue, because aggro shouldnt be a problem anyway. I can be silly when you miss Deathstrike multiple times, but that wont make you wipe.
    on the other hand it is nice, to have Deathstrike as a 100% heal+shield ability, for example to use inbetween a doublestrike from chimaeron etc... but all the expertise+hit needed, will lose you to much mastery, avoid, parry and thus: survivability

10+ Year Old Account
    Feel free to check out the epic amount of hit/expertise I have, and no issues with threat here (even after to DS healing loss).

Mind Freeze can't miss (even if it took them a hotfix even..) and DS doesn't burn runes when you miss so you should have no problems landing an attack in any given 5 sec window.

Arguments for threat or even somewhat DPS boost fail because we are rune capped, and our main runic dump is not helped by stacking expertise.
    Rune Strike
    Strike the target for 180% weapon damage plus (1.5 * AP * 10 / 100). Only usable while in Blood Presence, or for 10 sec after the Death Knight dodges or parries. This attack cannot be dodged, blocked, or parried, and causes a high amount of threat.

That EJ post should really read something more like "the remaining unforged hit/expertise you get naturally through gear is enough for the current tier of content". The way they phrase it makes you worried there is some floor # you should stop at.
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.