10+ Year Old Account

[Books] Warcraft books

Hello everyone, i just decided that i wanted to know the WoW lore..all i really do is pvp sooo..i miss alot of it. I bought the Warcraft Archive and it comes with Day of the Dragon, Leader of Clans, The Last Guardian, Of blood and honor, wanted to know if these are the 1st books..
    Thanks everyone

10+ Year Old Account
    Funny you should ask this, I've been wondering where to start myself...
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    —Aristotle

10+ Year Old Account
    They are different story arches. But if you would ask me with which to start, I would say "Of blood and honor". And despite of the general opinion that Knaak`s books suck, I would also recommend the War of the Ancients trilogy, which i found very entertaining.

10+ Year Old Account
    The way I started reading I came into possesion of the Warcraft Archive as well. It goes pretty far back and lays down a good idea of the state of azeroth and such. I just picked up Stormrage, finished it in a couple nights and onto reading cycle of hatred.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Novel_guide Looks pretty promising on the order they should or could be read in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks all...the books i listed are named as book 1 book 2 book 3 book 4 btw.....of blood and honor is book 4...soo..i started with Day of the Dragon...and its talking about Deathwing on the 1st page...i coulda swore deathwing was like a green good dragon at 1st right?..not just deathwing...

Deleted
    It is very confusing yes, especially when it comes to the Orc ones. Personally, I'd start with the War of the Ancients trilogy, as I still think I enjoyed those the most.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well id like to read them in order...as in... This happend before this happend...etc...i dont want be reading something about BC and then pick up another that is set before that even happend...been playing WoW 5 years, never played warcraft and now im finally wanting to read the books. I know alot of the characters of the lore and shit but most of them arnt even in the game, its just said in quests and crap

Deleted
    Day of the Dragon and The Last Guardian will probably bore you to death, the other two are better

It might just be my opinion but I really recommend reading them in their published order instead of chronological (the list can be found in this thread: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post10446851 )

However I'll try to list them in chronological order if you want, know that the timeline will overlap a bit(read lot)

Rise of the Horde
    The Last Guardian
    Tides of Darkness
    Beyond the Dark Portal
    Day of the Dragon
    War of the Ancients: The Well of Eternity
    War of the Ancients: The Demon Soul
    War of the Ancients: The Sundering (the trilogy actually happens in the past but it's better this way for continuity)
    Lord of the Clans/Arthas: Rise of the Lich King
    Of Blood and Honor
    Cycle of Hatred
    Night of the Dragon
    Stormrage
    The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm
    Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects (announced, not released yet)
    Wolfheart (announced, not released yet) (don't know when it takes place but I'm assuming after the Cataclysm)

Think that should about cover it. Some people might have a slight disagreement with me but I hope you'll find this sufficient (oh, and I didn't include the manga/comics)

Edit: And btw, I saw that you were talking about not knowing who Deathwing is. You're not going to find out his story until War of the Ancients, since it's set in the past. You might want to read it first, but there is continuity between Day of the Dragon and War of the Ancients trilogy, so reading the trilogy first might be a little confusing.

Edit 2: If you want Deathwing continuity it might also be better to read Day of the Dragon before Beyond the Dark Portal
    Last edited by trebor; 2011-05-03 at 02:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by trebor View Post
    It might just be my opinion but I really recommend reading them in their published order instead of chronological (the list can be found in this thread: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post10446851 )

However I'll try to list them in chronological order if you want, know that the timeline will overlap a bit(read lot)

Rise of the Horde
    The Last Guardian
    Tides of Darkness
    Beyond the Dark Portal
    Day of the Dragon
    War of the Ancients: The Sundering (the trilogy actually happens in the past but it's better this way for continuity)
    Of Blood and Honor
    Cycle of Hatred
    Night of the Dragon
    Stormrage
    Wolfheart (announced, not released yet) (don't know when it takes place but I'm assuming after the Cataclysm)

Think that should about cover it. Some people might have a slight disagreement with me but I hope you'll find this sufficient (oh, and I didn't include the manga/comics)

Edit: And btw, I saw that you were talking about not knowing who Deathwing is. You're not going to find out his story until War of the Ancients, since it's set in the past. You might want to read it first, but there is continuity between Day of the Dragon and War of the Ancients trilogy, so reading the trilogy first might be a little confusing.

Edit 2: If you want Deathwing continuity it might also be better to read Day of the Dragon before Beyond the Dark Portal
    Thanks alot, so i read Day of the Dragon before dark portal?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by trebor View Post

Rise of the Horde
    The Last Guardian
    Tides of Darkness
    Beyond the Dark Portal
    Day of the Dragon
    Of Blood and Honor
    Cycle of Hatred
    Night of the Dragon
    Stormrage

^^^^ Great list to go by.

Broxigar > Thrall > Garrosh

Quote Originally Posted by Artran View Post
    Thanks alot, so i read Day of the Dragon before dark portal?
    That's the idea, yes. But it will be the first you hear of Deathwing unless you decide to start with War of the Ancients

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok thanks everyone, im gonna use trebor's list

I ended up reading the War of the Ancients trilogy before I read Day of the Dragon and found that I don't think I would have enjoyed Day of the Dragon as much if I had read it prior to the trilogy.

The trilogy gives a tremendous amount of background history and understanding to what is going on in Day.

i love this. i am going to start reading nao!