Trying out AA spec and need pointers

this is the spec that i want to use: wowhead.com/talent#bfGorRsbcRMochM:qcmdaozM0

this is my armory: us.battle.net/wow/en/character/bleeding-hollow/holydok/simple

(sorry i cant post links yet... just didnt really bother to post until now but i do read an awful lot in this forum)

Im switching to AA build just to try it out and after the fact that PWS got nerfed to 15 sec with increased mana increase and all that.

I mainly tank heal while helping with raid healing here and there with PoH or few bubble spams (which destroys my mana so i try to avoid)

what is the rotation? ive seen videos where a priest just spam smite and holy fire with some bubbles here and there. or do i only use smite and holy fire to build up my AA and use heal/FH/GH/bubble other times?

or is it situational? (like everything in this game)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

whats the stat priority for AA spec?

im mastery heavy atm because of mastery>everything for the DA proc. Im now thinking to reforge some into crit for tank healing cause i read it somewhere that 70/30 mastery/crit would be better now.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my previous play style was to bubble the tank and heal(if above 80%) or GH(if below 80%) until SoS refreshes the debuff and bubble again with penance off CD. with mending and renew here and there. Also bubble and PoH the raid to help out

If you do a search through these forums you can find alot of info.
    what is the rotation? ive seen videos where a priest just spam smite and holy fire with some bubbles here and there. or do i only use smite and holy fire to build up my AA and use heal/FH/GH/bubble other times?
    There is no set rotation for healing. IF you do this in a raid setting using only smite and shield your tank will likely die. It may work in a dungeon if you greatly outgear it.
    whats the stat priority for AA spec?
    Spiritus has a great guid for this Disc Guide
    Last edited by Nabstar; 2011-05-03 at 03:08 PM.
    I am not bipolar. I am bi-winning. I win here, I win there. I am always winning. Duh

Thanks for the links and i will def read them when i get back from class.

Ive been reading alot about AA specs and they are either outdated (4.0.6) or really two-sided.

for example:
    I would read about something really great about this build for AA then i would go to a diff website and this OP posts that is kind of a same idea but have some little details different to the 1st post i read which confuses me in the end. ( holy ----- go 12.5% haste and stack mastery after ----- no stack haste cause mastery is wos ---- no stack mastery, you dont need haste since renews extra tick isnt even that good errr... )

I stack mastery as my second stat, Int is king of course. After looking at alot of the WOL top 200 disc healers mosst of them have under 10% haste with alot of mastery.
    I am not bipolar. I am bi-winning. I win here, I win there. I am always winning. Duh

AA is pretty situational. For me, healing 10m...I only use Holy Fire/Smite enough to get my 5 stacks for Archangel. Then it's just normal healing for the most part. If the tank is getting rocked, never rely on AA to get him up, since it may end up healing someone else instead. But if the tank is doing alright, try to squeeze in enough for 5 stacks. In certain situations you can use it more often...like if the tank is topped off and the melee is taking raid damage. For PW:Shield, I tend to only use it on the tank(s) for the rapture proc and raid members only if they get low on HP. I've tried blanketing groups, and even just doing 5 people at once destroys my mana. But if you have the right group makeup (innervates/mana tide), you might be able to make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by Nabstar View Post
    I stack mastery as my second stat, Int is king of course. After looking at alot of the WOL top 200 disc healers mosst of them have under 10% haste with alot of mastery.
    WoL top 200 disc healers stack MST, spam bubbles, get fed mana like the plant from little shop of horrors got fed souls, and post big WoL numbers. Heck, most of the top 200 disc logs are from the lawlweek where you could spam shields without hardly any real effort to keep your mana up throughout a fight.

So, unless you are in high gear levels and have a guild willing to feed you, then a high MST build not only pigeon-holes you into almost exclusively using PW:S, but it makes tank healing a risky affair as well, removing one of the neat things about Disc, the ability to easily flex between raid and tank healing [yes I know everyone can, but disc tank healing tools are pretty clutch compared to druid/shaman/holypriest].

Quote Originally Posted by [-Spiritus-] View Post
    So, unless you are in high gear levels and have a guild willing to feed you, then a high MST build not only pigeon-holes you into almost exclusively using PW:S, but it makes tank healing a risky affair as well, removing one of the neat things about Disc, the ability to easily flex between raid and tank healing [yes I know everyone can, but disc tank healing tools are pretty clutch compared to druid/shaman/holypriest].
    I was looking through your guide and I can not see what you prioritize as the main stat then? I see mastery and then crit? but isnt crit risky?

10+ Year Old Account
    With the PW:S duration decrease - I've reforged my gear so that I'm not reforging any haste or mastery (unless it's for spirit). I don't tank heal else I would've left my crit alone as well. I used to reforge everything to mastery but I don't think that playstyle is really an option anymore (at least not in 25m). I think even priests who were being fed mana and popping bubbles like candy will find haste more valuable now.

ps. I wish they'd wipe out the disc priest records on WoL, or implement a feature to sort only records set in the last month.

I was looking through your guide and I can not see what you prioritize as the main stat then? I see mastery and then crit? but isnt crit risky?
    I purposefully did not give a "X>Y>Z>A>B" stat ranking. Healing isn't DPS in the sense that there is an optimal rotation for achieving the greatest eHPS given time, targets, spec, and item budget.

For neither tank healing nor raid healing did I "prioritize" crit in the sense that it is commonly used. I do suggest obtaining 30% single target crit for tank healing and avoiding crit completely for raid healing.

I suggest 32.5% SD for tank healing because I found ~5MST to be a good balance with the remainder of your itemization in HST [which is still a significant amount].

I suggest heavy HST for raid healing, with MST as a secondary. Many disagree with that suggestion, however, the vast majority of disc priests aren't in upper-end T11 with 3 druids pumping innervates and 2 MTTs. Without this, if the average disc priest tries to stack MST and use nearly exclusively PW:S, they'll OOM, period, on any fight of consequence [especially true in 4.2 w/ innervate change].

A HST leaning build boosts the power of all your other heals [PoH, Pennance, BH, FH, GH, Heal, etc] while having enough MST for it to be effective surgically.

Quote Originally Posted by [-Spiritus-] View Post
    For neither tank healing nor raid healing did I "prioritize" crit in the sense that it is commonly used. I do suggest obtaining 30% single target crit for tank healing and avoiding crit completely for raid healing.

I suggest 32.5% SD for tank healing because I found ~5MST to be a good balance with the remainder of your itemization in HST [which is still a significant amount].
    Sorry i know this is offtopic about the AA/a but how do you get to 30% crit? I see i have 3MST over 5, however even when i unforge my pieces back to normal i am very far away from that. I only do 10 mans we are 11/12 normal but am pretty much always on tank since we have a druid and shammy as the other healers.

Sorry i know this is offtopic about the AA/a but how do you get to 30% crit? I see i have 3MST over 5, however even when i unforge my pieces back to normal i am very far away from that. I only do 10 mans we are 11/12 normal but am pretty much always on tank since we have a druid and shammy as the other healers.
    You need to read the guide, or read what I'm saying. 30% single target crit which includes the multiplicative bonuses from RH [10%], Raidbuff [5%]. INT*5%[paw/kings] Coefficient, and actual CRT rating.

take a look in the priest videos thread, check out Quantum's heroic halfus. this is before 4.1. unfortunately, I haven't seen any numbers with HF/smite glyph to see what you can do with that gear. HST stacking (sprinkle in some MST). He's doing 1.7s casts in there, with grace, he's bumping CHEAP big heals there, looks like 20k on meter, I went holy recently, but I would really like to see what is possible now with smite glyph. id really love to go back, but my raid comp and role just seems to favor holy, but oh I miss it.
    Last edited by Snowcrash3; 2011-05-04 at 07:35 PM.