Thread: Shadow PVP tips

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Shadow PVP tips

So I've offspecc'd my Holy priest to shadow and need some PVP tips, especially for dealing with melee. I have a mage and through abilities like blink and frost nova, kiting melee isn't too difficult. But I have a lot of trouble kiting melee with my SP. We have psychic scream and psychic horror and also paralysis, but combining them into a working kiting solution is giving me problems.

Also, when should I use dots and when should I use the mind spike/mind blast combo?

Kiting is tough...My best solution was wearing the 4-piece healing pvp set. Not only will the 4 seconds give you time to get free, but it will put you in the habit of using PW:Shield every cooldown. Other then that, it sounds like you're doing it right. Try to get melee to trinket a fear rather than Psychic Horror so they don't get out of the disarm. If you are getting nuked, go defensive mode completely. Pop out of shadow form and kite away, keeping Renew and Prayer of Mending up, shielding, and spamming Holy Nova to heal while on the move. If you can get a fear off, throw in a few Flash Heals. I find that I have to do this alot in 2's when I'm facing a team with 2 dps. The first 10 seconds of combat is usually me just trying to survive until my healer can get free from the chain CC's. If I can live through the nuke, we almost never lose those matches. Sometimes though, it's just too damn hard to get away. Often the case with Rogue, Ret Pally, Frost Mage teams.

Going up against melee is tough.

- Play defensively, make sure you have lots of resil, and HEAL yourself.

- Drop Paralysis, the setup time is to great, and it risks missing because it's considered melee.

- Collect the 4P Mooncloth set. This will help you get away from melee easier.

- Only cast Vampiric Tough when you know you'll be able to actually get it off without being interupted.

- Macro a "dispell self" to a hot key. This is nice for getting rid of dots, getting out of mage cc, etc.

The biggest thing you need to learn is when to play defensively. If you're in melee, use your healing spells. If you fear a melee, don't waste your time trying to damage them, you'll only break your own fear to early. Heal yourself first, then lay into them, but only after you get distance.

80 Kingslayer Shadow Priest - Spirestone
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...e&n=Direshadow

Thanks for the tips guys. From reading this I'm presuming our main damage should be from dots and not mind spike/mind blast.
    Last edited by Melkor; 2011-05-03 at 06:02 PM.

Can you take me through a scenario of how you would deal with someone like a fury warrior or unholy dk. I am having a ton of trouble with these classes, especially the dks.

Deleted
    I dont play priest, but if you happen to play arena with a rogue and you face a rogue+Mage/priest/druid,whatever , mind sear your rogue and let him look around.

[QUOTE=Migari;11312475]Well, considering Unholy DK's get 10 sec magic immunity on a 45 second cooldown, fear immunity on a 2 min CD (Along with some crazy healing) and a pet and a guardian that deal a considerate amount of DMG, there's not really much you can do. Fear is one of your most important ability and it's quite useless against them.

I'd say, try to shackle the Gargoyle/Ghoul/DK (If he has Lichborne on). and just survive until he has used his toolkit.

Against Fury I have no idea. Their biggest weakness is having their enrages removed but since you can't do that I'd suggest going all out on him and save most of your defense for when he pops his CD's and just try to survive.

Both are also extremely difficult to keep distance on. I never knew how important blink was until I didn't have it anymore. i think its one of the single most important caster abilities.

dk vs shadowpriest:

fear the dk first and look out for their spell copy dark sanc it so op.

if they use lich borne shackle them use mind flay and mind spike x 3 + mind blast for dmg.

use dispersion to counter ams.

use physic horrors to get distant after a death grip.

u can silence mind control the death knight away from u but make sure lich borne is on cooldown.

most dk i know see me mcing and pop lichborne so i lose 1 of my gap closer.

trinket strangulate.

keep the ghoul shackled when he is feared so it cant stun u i hate that.

fury warriors vs shadowpriest

look at their debuffs and buffs if they have berserker's rage already popped don't fear them wait 10 seconds just use dispersion mind flay and
    kiting to stay alive.

berserkers rage is on a 30 second cooldown ur fear is on a 23 second cd use ur fear on cd as long as berserker rages isn't up.

if the warrior trinkets the second fear disarm him after his next charge blizzard really messed up priest vs warrior.

fear ward ur shadowfiend as well if he tries to priecing howl kiting it just use shadowcrawl and mind flay so ur fiend can keep up.

watch out for spell reflect.
    Last edited by worsthitmanNa; 2011-05-03 at 07:52 PM.
    You're right except for 2 things.

1. My name is spelt "God" not "Loucious-sama".
    2. I'm not a man, because man is inherently flawed. I am in fact a being so far beyond your comprehension that archaic constraints like flesh, blood, time and consequently, gender, have no meaning to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Melkor View Post
    Thanks for the tips guys. From reading this I'm presuming our main damage should be from dots and not mind spike/mind blast.
    If you practice fake casting you can still do some decent damage with mind spike, mind blast, mind flay. But if you try to use these spells without fake casting, any good melee with a brain will interrupt you nonstop. DK's are easy to spot, just fake cast until you see the animation for mind freeze, then you'll have a solid 10 seconds of free casting (assuming they already used strangulate). I believe you can configure Gladius to show the cooldown on enemy interrupts as well. This way you'll know when it's safe to cast, and when you need to fake cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Migari View Post
    But fake casting is not all about just jumping until they use their interrupt. Any skilled player will anticipate fake casts and only interrupt when they know that he won't fake.

I do agree though, it's very useful to use cast time spells aswell. Personally I like to use Mind Flay as it doesn't cost much mana + I usually get atleast 1 tick off before I have to cancel it so I still deal DMG.
    Migi... wut are you doing in teh priest forums???

Thanks everyone for the detailed responses.

A good counter against Melee are tailoring nets, I use them frequently. If you seriously want another utility, take on tailoring. Also, you'll get some very nice cloak and legs enchants. I've been very against all melee classes with the lone exception of Unholy, they are simply scissors to paper against casters. However, the tailoring nets can not be used in arena or rated bgs.

I use dots against classes who can not dispell them. And, I use the mindspike/mindblast combo against those who can.

just like to ask while the thread is up. Talented fade iirc removes movement impairing effects. But dispel does the same thing. Although if i was hit with a daze fade would still be handy right?

Quote Originally Posted by Melkor View Post
    Can you take me through a scenario of how you would deal with someone like a fury warrior or unholy dk. I am having a ton of trouble with these classes, especially the dks.
    A fury warrior; disperse when you see his CDs, he will probably Throwdown you.
    UH DK; have another class peal for you... lol

Basically you apply pressure with DoTs and as someone gets low, make sure you are in position to fear the healer. Do so, pop Archangel, and hope your friend has the peals so you are free to spam Mind Spike and get the kill. Of course, your teammate will have to use his/her CC on the healer at that point as well to ensure a kill. NEVER ARENA WITH JUST A HEALER.

Quote Originally Posted by Migari View Post
    Yes, and Fade also removes Roots (Such as Improved Hamstring) and you can remove magic slows without having to worry about dispelling something harmful (Such as UA)
    Didn't know fade removed improved hamstring, that's great. Thanks.

---------- Post added 2011-05-04 at 09:53 AM ----------

Went up against an Unholy DK/Resto shaman team last night. The resto was failry undergeared and went down quick but then the DK went on to solo BOTH of us. Granted my partner was an arms warrior in mainly PVE gear but there was like nothing I could do to him. He had his AMS up, pulled me in and wsa taking big chunks out of me in melee. When I managed to get some range his deathcoil took some big chunks too.

Is it me or is this class way over the top OP?

im by no means good at spriest pvp but i do know that dk are very dangerous. I tend to tangle with them alot and they seem to have tools for just about any situation. However i dont recall unholy excelling in melee. What was the warrior doing? Were you able to see what spells the dk was using and how the 2v1 went? Im curious...
    Last edited by pkm; 2011-05-04 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    im by no means good at spriest pvp but i do know that dk are very dangerous. I tend to tangle with them alot and they seem to have tools for just about any situation. However i dont recall unholy excelling in melee. What was the warrior doing? Were you able to see what spells the dk was using and how the 2v1 went? Im curious...
    He was getting roflstomped. I was on the healer who was trying to get away from me and by the time I killed him and switched to the DK the warrior was dead. And he was dead quick because the DK had been trying to peal me off the healer so he hadn't been focusing him that long. As I said, quite a bit of PVE gear.

fury cant get throwdown thats in arms talent tree
    You're right except for 2 things.

1. My name is spelt "God" not "Loucious-sama".
    2. I'm not a man, because man is inherently flawed. I am in fact a being so far beyond your comprehension that archaic constraints like flesh, blood, time and consequently, gender, have no meaning to me.