Page 1 of 3
LastLast

DirectX 9 vs DirectX 11

I have a DirectX 11 video card, but people are telling me that I should set my ingame options to use DirectX 9 settings for optimal performance, is this true?

Deleted
    No, if you can, you should activate DX 11 support in WoW. It will increase your FPS by quite a lot.

There aren't any visual improvements to DX 11 is only used for a performance increase.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    There aren't any visual improvements to DX 11 is only used for a performance increase.
    Yes, there are visual differences, but very minor ones and requires keeping settings on high/ultra to show.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

I have a question, since the new dx changes in WoW, I got a new graphics card. I had a 9800gt then I recently purchased an EVGA 450 GTS. Now I went to switch to dx11 in game it said that it needed a client restart so I did so...then when I log back onto wow and check my settings it says that it's still on 9 =\

Does anyone have the answer for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Crusades View Post
    Now I went to switch to dx11 in game it said that it needed a client restart so I did so...then when I log back onto wow and check my settings it says that it's still on 9 =\
    Windows XP does not support DX11. If you're on Vista/7 problem might be related to Windows UAC which causes all kinds of issues with saving settings.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Yes, there are visual differences, but very minor ones and requires keeping settings on high/ultra to show.
    Please do show (or explain it very much) example!

Since I run SLI now I think it's on DX9 (it says "custom" when checking settings, think that's just fancy talk for DX9), but since there are very few situations where a single GTX 460 can't keep 60 fps in this game, I might reconsider and disable it for this title if I'm missing out on eye-candy.
    Last edited by Wries; 2011-05-03 at 09:50 PM.

Windows XP does not support DX11. If you're on Vista/7 problem might be related to Windows UAC which causes all kinds of issues with saving settings.
    Alright well I dont run windows XP for one, and all of my other settings save fine. Unless that problem is just with that specific setting.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    11 Destroys 9 by far, If you have support for it. You will gain a huge boost of frames

Well 95% you might the other 5% could be.. disastrous :P

10+ Year Old Account
    If you have a Nvidia card, go into Nvidia Control Panel and check/disable Ambient Occlusion.
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

Best example

DirectX 11 was more about optimization and performance improvements of DirectX 10, so in reality just look at the differences between a game like Half-Life 2: Episode 2 and Crysis 2, HL2:Ep2 was created for DX9 and Crysis 2 was created using DirectX 10. Also you're not exactly going to notice a huge improvement in FPS, as an example I gained roughly 7 FPS on a 2500k / 6950 system, it's at most 10% - 15% for most people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saithes View Post
    If you have a Nvidia card, go into Nvidia Control Panel and check/disable Ambient Occlusion.
    ^^^ This. I had exactly the same issue of DX11 getting auto-reverted back to DX9 and this fixed it

Crysis 2 was created using DirectX 10
    Think you're confusing it with the original Crysis or Warhead.....Crysis 2 is DX9-based, they did it so the game could run on a fucking Xbox/PS3. Excuse my language, I'm so angry.
    DX11 is later coming to optimize performance, which is LAME because I'm already pulling 90-110fps all the time -_- they better improve the goddamn textures.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2011-05-03 at 10:17 PM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    Please do show (or explain it very much) example!
    Reflections (characters, terrain, light sources) on water should be the big thing, as well as the interaction of sunshafts & water both below and above surface. At least during beta those had pretty big difference, but haven't turned the game back to DX9 in a looooong time so not 100% sure. Smoke, fire and other particle effects are also something where you might see difference.

Quote Originally Posted by ThewF View Post
    Best example
    WoW does not support tesselation in any form or shape. Too bad since it could make big difference with the old low quality models.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    At least during beta those had pretty big difference, but haven't turned the game back to DX9 in a looooong time so not 100% sure.
    Those reflections were implemented into DX9 mode as well not long after their appearence in DX11 mode, I -believe- the same applied for the other graphical effects.

10+ Year Old Account
    Too bad since it could make big difference with the old low quality models.
    Could it? So far as I know, WoW models suffer from low poly counts...tesselation requires specific instructions on where and how to raise poly counts, but it would be the wrong way to go about it. They just need to re-design the models with moar polys, that's all >_<

Also, are you SURE that you can see your character (or mount) reflection in the water with DX11?? I need to test that out straight away!

Quote Originally Posted by Saithes View Post
    Where is this? I cannot seem to find it

Reflections (characters, terrain, light sources) on water should be the big thing, as well as the interaction of sunshafts & water both below and above surface. At least during beta those had pretty big difference, but haven't turned the game back to DX9 in a looooong time so not 100% sure. Smoke, fire and other particle effects are also something where you might see difference.
    Those were put in DX9 mode as well. For me, the only really noticeable difference is that when I put it in back in DX9 mode I lose a good 20 frames per second. The performance increase for DX11 is significant.

New DirectX means new faster rendering abilities of C++ code, means more FPS. Which means comfortable game experience.

If your videocard support DX11 and DX11 is not enabled in video settings, do it right NAO!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusades View Post
    Where is this? I cannot seem to find it
    It's the very first setting...

edit: sorry massive image, I'll just give the link:
    http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/attac...-occlusion.jpg

(taken from early beta drivers a while ago so yours could look *slightly* different)

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    It's the very first setting...

(taken from early beta drivers a while ago so yours could look *slightly* different)
    AHH okay yes mine looks just like that, I thought since it said " 3D " that it ment well " 3D " haha, didnt think it ment 3D as in the 3D models in game >.>

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't see character reflections in the water when using DX11. Last time I could do that was in the beta, and it even got pulled from one of those builds and onwards.