Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fend View Post
    People getting annoyed by the mere mispronounciation of words needs help.
    People getting annoyed by something, anything is completely natural and healthy. People raging out and taking their annoyances to an aggression level on the other hand perhaps need help. Much like the guy who doesn't contribute at all to a simple topic and instead replies simply to tell everyone else how they're doing it wrong? (cwutididthar?)

On topic: Banal
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

It's not said wrong but I had this word in general.

Throughput...

(IT'S LIKE LISTENING TO STYROFOAM)

Spelling:
    you're/your, their/they're/there it's/its, could/should/would of ('ve, have), stupid names for the roles and classes in WoW (drood, tonk, worrior).
    's. I'm not talking about the correct usage, but when it's used wrong. "boost's in instance's". The worrying part is that I find a lot of native speakers to do this mistake, but the Dutch do this too. Quite often. I don't know if it's a lack of teaching or if the Dutch language has a lot of 's in it. Anyway, redundant 's must die!

Pronunciations:
    Norwegian:
    Those who can't say ki/kj/ky and say the awful "sh" instead - I want to slap them. The ki/kj sound is a bit like the German 'ich' in 'nicht'/ich', whereas the y in 'ky' is like a 'deeper' English 'e'. No, I can't explain properly. :(
    English:
    It's not a pronunciation problem but I can't stand the use of fillers, such as 'like' in every sentence. "Yeah, and I was like like, and then like Faenskap like slapped me, like and like it was so painful, like, but anyway, she is right like, because like, this is like so annoying." But Norwegians do this too! :( Poor languages.
    Adding an 'r' after a word ending with '-a', "I have an idear". I don't know if this is a dialect thing though.

English is a weird language, with different letters for pronouncing a word or a syllable. "Philosophy" could just as easily have been written "filosofie". And the word "conciousness" - here you have the 'c' representing both a 'k' and an 's'. I'm happy online spellcheckers exist, because I certainly would mix up plenty of words.

I might be a bit of grammar nazi, but truth be told, I don't know what the fuck all these fancy Latin words describing certain things dealing with a language are. Personally, I want to make a language easy accessible by creating simple rules telling people the correct spelling/usage, such as ... I can't come up with anything! :(

People using excuses all the time! I can't stand that: "ye i wright lik tis becauz i have deslexia". Nor can I stand excuses being made for them. "Yeah, you shouldn't pick on him because he has dyslexia, but you understand what he says nevertheless"
    1: How is that person ever going to learn?
    2: Yes, I understand what somebody with shit (because that's what it is)grammar says. The problem is that it (for me) takes a longer time to decipher, and that the person, dyslectic or not, couldn't be arsed. I also find it hard to take a person with bad grammar, be it lack of capitalisation for the personal pronoun I or "1337"-speak, seriously.

I feel I might be a bit cruel. Not only for not wanting to read people's bad grammar, but also for this wall of text.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

10+ Year Old Account
    I ran into a kid one day who actually said, "Teh" ...as in Teh leet dps I did last night. Worse was that he pronounced it 'Teeh' or 'Tee'... dur.

Rouge. Especially when a rogue does it. I mean, come one! It's your own class!

I don´t really care that much about a word.
    But whenever anyone uses the "x)"
    I just wanna punch that fuc*er in the face.
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren

Deleted
    Just watched that South Park episode where Randy gets "excited" with cooking (hilarious )

I wondered, over his exaggerated pronounciation of "crème fraîche", what is the "common" American way of pronouncing this?
    (the French way I know (which I would assume as "correct")).

Oh i hate when people use the litter X to deklol

Deleted
    When people say 'Rouge'
    When people confuse Your and You're
    OHHHHH it feels good to bitch about this without being deemed a grammar-nazi.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    Aloominum.
    What's that?

Ooooh, you mean aluminium. Right.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerath View Post
    Aloominum.
    What's that?

Ooooh, you mean aluminium. Right.
    It's not wrong to pronounce it "Aloominum", that's just a difference between GB and US. Both are correct, but in different places.
    Amateur Photographer studying Mathematics!
    Linkedin - Portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Tearor View Post
    I'm not getting it. So "fort" is the way it's supposed to be pronounced?

A posh Porsh . "Porsh-ah" is correct.

On that track, many people (at least here in Germany) pronounce Lamborghini "Lum-bor-djee-nee".
    I'm not sure how to describe the correct pronounciation, but the h behind the g is there to NOT make it sound as in "gin", but as in "go".
    It's hard for me generally to "spell out" the pronounciation so that if you read it English-style, it sounds right.
    lamb boar ghee(clarified butter) knee

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faenskap View Post
    Spelling:
    you're/your, their/they're/there it's/its, could/should/would of ('ve, have), stupid names for the roles and classes in WoW (drood, tonk, worrior).
    's. I'm not talking about the correct usage, but when it's used wrong. "boost's in instance's". The worrying part is that I find a lot of native speakers to do this mistake, but the Dutch do this too. Quite often. I don't know if it's a lack of teaching or if the Dutch language has a lot of 's in it. Anyway, redundant 's must die!
    Dutch language does have a lot of 's in it. Almost -Dutch language is full of exceptions though- every word that ends on a single vowel gets an 's in plural. Example: baby - baby's, paraplu - paraplu's(umbrella). So that explains why Dutch people use it so often.

On-topic:
    It's not really mispronouncing it, but I hate it when people write 'alot'. Makes me think of that comic about the Alot

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Getatron View Post
    That being said, I cringe inwards whenever americans omit a ni- in aluminium (ah-lu-mi-ni-um, now say it), and instead say aluminum (ah-lu-mi-num). So, uh, what went wrong there, everyone?
    Aluminum is an equally valid pronunciation. Americans are not simply verbally omitting the letter "i" because Americans also don't spell it with the 'i' either.

For a fun fact, here is the story behind that:

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Kean in "The Disappearing Spoon"
    The spelling disagreement traces its roots back to the rapid rise of this metal. When chemists in the early 1800s speculated about the existence of element thirteen, they used both spellings but eventually settled on the extra i. That spelling paralleled the recently discovered barium, magnesium, sodium, and strontium. When Charles Hall applies for patents on his electric current process, he used the extra i, too. However, when advertising his shiny metal, Hall was looser with his language. There’s debate about whether cutting the i was intentional or a fortuitous mistake on advertising fliers, but when Hall saw "aluminum," he thought it was a brilliant coinage. He dropped the vowel permanently, and with it a syllable, which aligned his product with classy platinum. This new metal caught on so quickly and grew so economically important that "aluminum" because indelibly stamped on the American psyche.
    [Charles Hall was one of the chemists who discovered how to separate aluminium from oxygen, and the owner of the patent on how to do so. Hall and his company are responsible changing it from one of the most valuable metals in the world to one of the cheapest and most common.]

tl;dr we can stop listing "aluminium/aluminum" on these kinds of lists, since both spellings and pronunciations are considered valid.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    [Charles Hall was one of the chemists who discovered how to separate aluminium from oxygen, and the owner of the patent on how to do so. Hall and his company are responsible changing it from one of the most valuable metals in the world to one of the cheapest and most common.]
    [On a side note, it will get more and more expensive (and everybody should care about alumin(i)um recycling) because of the ridiculuous amounts of electrical energy needed to "smelt" the metal from its ore, bauxite.
    Afaik, the process itself hasn't changed very much from Mr Hall's invention and is, next to very energy-consuming, producing a lot of waste.

Bauxite is essentially aluminium hydroxide that has to be dissolved in sodium hydroxide (not nice) solution and heated (energy), everything that doesn't contain aluminium is separated (remember that red mud catastrophe in Hungary? that's what's separated), leaving Aluminium Oxide to be electrolysed, which is where you need amounts of energy so huge this process is only economically doable in the vicinity of cheap energy sources (hydroelectric power plants e.g.).

TLDR: just needed to say that, while being an every day product (and the dispute about the I seeming to be solved), the environmental issues with aluminium are what one should be concerned about.]
    Last edited by mmocdd8e41448a; 2011-07-20 at 10:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tearor View Post
    [On a side note, it will get more and more expensive (and everybody should care about alumin(i)um recycling) because of the ridiculuous amounts of electrical energy needed to "smelt" the metal from its ore, bauxite.
    Afaik, the process itself hasn't changed very much from Mr Hall's invention and is, next to very energy-consuming, producing a lot of waste.

Bauxite is essentially aluminium hydroxide that has to be dissolved in sodium hydroxide (not nice) solution and heated (energy), everything that doesn't contain aluminium is separated (remember that red mud catastrophe in Hungary? that's what's separated), leaving Aluminium Oxide to be electrolysed, which is where you need amounts of energy so huge this process is only economically doable in the vicinity of cheap energy sources (hydroelectric power plants e.g.).

TLDR: just needed to say that, while being an every day product (and the dispute about the I seeming to be solved), the environmental issues with aluminium are what one should be concerned about.]
    Well, it was supposed to be an interesting, mildly-relevant story, not an advertisement for aluminium.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Well, it was supposed to be an interesting, mildly-relevant story, not an advertisement for aluminium.
    Nah, never mind, I didn't take it that way. I was just overconcerned and somehow needed to share the story :P

OT, what is the "normal" American way of pronouncing crème fraîche? Can't believe the way Randy says it in that South Park episode is common :P

- You
    - You're
    - Yours
    - There
    - Their
    - Wait
    - Mate
    - to
    - Late
    - were
    - where
    - wear