Having trouble with Cho'gall

Last night my guild did our best attempts so far on Cho'gall. We got him down to about 15% twice then the damage was too much and we died. Our 10 man raid is made up of:

-shammy heals
    -druid heals
    -pally heals
    -pally tank
    -warrior tank
    -kitty
    -arms warrior
    -survival hunter
    -arcane mage
    -shadow priest

Any suggestions on how we could survive final phase better?

What was everyone's corruption levels like when going into P2?

Deleted
    Avoid less corruption and if that really doesn't work, you can try 2 man healing it having an extra dps.

We did it with 2 healers so the last phase went a lot faster, it worked better for us.

Deleted
    Yeah, P2 is almost impossible if people are eating too much corruption in p1. 95% of the time if p2 seems impossible it's because people are failing in p1 and getting hit by bad stuff. Do you have any logs?

As to the 2 or 3 healer debate, always done it with 3, but basically good dps, take 3 healers, good healers take 2 healers and an extra dps.

You might have better luck with a one tank strategy. You really don't need a second tank in this fight if your first tank is good at positioning and you have a hunter to MD adds onto him (Which you do), and the extra DPS gives you more time to get to phase 2 quicker, and more room to make mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Athael View Post
    You might have better luck with a one tank strategy. You really don't need a second tank in this fight if your first tank is good at positioning and you have a hunter to MD adds onto him (Which you do), and the extra DPS gives you more time to get to phase 2 quicker, and more room to make mistakes.
    May I ask what you do about Fury of Cho'gall if you use one tank..?

We always use 3 healers, 2 tanks and 5 dps for this fight, works out nicely. Just make sure to interrupt every single Depravity, and that you dispel Accelerated Corruption immediately. If someone is on above 10 corruption when p2 starts, he/she is doing it wrong.

EDIT: Oh yeah... forgot that DPS needs to be above ~13-14k or something to actually push p2 before the 5th big add. And in p2, make sure to interrupt the tentacle's immediately if they're targeting a healer or DPS, if it's a tank, it's not that big of a deal. Moonkin-beam-thingy works wonders :>
    Last edited by Zayniel; 2011-05-05 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Added stuff

going in to the last phase with as little corruption as possible is the only way to make things smoother in p2. That and I guess dps have to take care of the tentacles quickly as the extra damage they do when casting does add up

there is no reason to single tank or 3 heal the fight if you can get to phase 2 before the 4th fester blood is cast. Your group is either failing at avoiding stuff in p1, not keeping tentacles under control, or healers simply are not geared/good enough. If you aren't already start logging your attempts, having logs as a reference tool will help figure things out

EDIT: looking at the logs posted for your guild on 4/21

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/i...ses&boss=43324

that many shadow crashes taken in 7 attempts is unacceptable, your groups dps is rather low as well, if you are having 1 dps(melee) sit on the boss as you should, they are doing a poor job. With that dps I would have to retract what I said earlier and say that two healing might be your only option, however sitting down and talking with both the resto shaman/druid about why they are getting hit so much by shadow crash would be first on my agenda

EDIT.... again: lol sorry.... 2 healing is likely out of the question as well, i didn't notice but you are losing your tank first and often early on to simple cho'gall melee/flame's orders.... i don't know much about warrior tanks, but I feel like he shouldn't be gemming for that much stamina, and double stam trinkets is probly more than he realistically needs to do normal modes. Looking at your healers gear, there is still no reason for a tank death early on almost every attempt.
    Last edited by Stevemcqeen; 2011-05-05 at 02:31 PM.

a Two tank strat is perfectly fine.

*logs already provided*

*edit* you can also tank the boss at the top of the throne JUST be careful with this ensure there are no fires as you take hmi up to the throne once done any tenticles that spawn after the 1st lot should all spawn on the boss, you may get the odd one further away but its easily killed most will be cleaved down in seconds allowing paladins dks with their aoes to help along with other classes.

if you have issues with corruption ensure people move in time to avoid things like shadow crashes (the range is actually quite big compared to the graphic)

what we do is have the one of the two tanks (me and a paladin) tank the boss near the throne and the raid stacks up behind cho. we are horde so we have 3-4 blood elves using the racial aoe silence we rotate the silences so we quickly stop the worships (its very easy no targeting at all as long as you are all stacked)

ensure the blood adds do not touch anyone they ramp up corruption VERY quickly. so ensure your hunter/mage/boomking etc all use their slows and snares and dps the hell of them. melee should stay on the boss as long as your dps on the adds is good. (we tend to have 1-2 melee rest is ranged)

Honestly cant say how good the 1 tank strat is (the tank will take a lot more damage for sure)
    Last edited by khalltusk; 2011-05-05 at 02:35 PM.

This may already be known but, my guild struggled with phase 2 greatly until we learned that you can interrupt the tentacles. It reduces their damage greatly but they also die faster when interrupted. I'm not sure if their cast heals them or they take reduced damage while channeling, but they drop alot faster when they aren't channeling.

Their cast can be stopped with stuns and disorients (I scatter shot them as hunter) not just interrupts.
    Last edited by Bairne; 2011-05-05 at 02:36 PM.

Deleted
    burn heroism before the first add, this allows for one whole less add to need to be delt with meaning after you never have that blood wave that the melle need to help with, and means genraly less corruption on people when p2 starts.

P2 tank against a wall this causes several tentacles to spawn on top of each other instead of all spread around.
    Make sure people are actualy not puking over everyone as i think 15% is about the time several people would have hit 50+ corruption wehre the puking begins, having less people means you really need those inturupts on tentacles -75% to damadge or healing is quite a lot specialy as everyone takes shadow ticks along with corruption, since you have a kitty possibly make him tank then he can go cat for last phase so your p2 has an extra dps without losing the tank swap ability in p1.
    if you have the option a disipline priest can be very useful as even with 100% less healing taken you stil get PW:S for full amount.

is your hunter running with a dragonhawk/windserpent. without the 8% magic damage taken debuff ur raid isnt operating efficiently, as thats both ur casters and a large portion of your hunters damage being 8% lower than it should.

Your also missing 5% spell crit debuff, but u cant get that with your setup.

Lust should really be saved with all major Cds until after 85%, ie when the first add spawns. They're on a timer from 85% onwards so take it easy for the first 15%, that way u reduce the number of add phases, and therefore the number of slimes.

Other than that its just keeping corruption to 0 as others have said before.

Good luck.

It looks to definitely be the shadow crashes that are messing your raid up. These things are the #2 thing to watch out for during add phases (first being worshipping). Soon as anyone sees a purple swirly under them, make sure they move immediately, it will reduce raid damage considerably, in addition to giving you more time during phase 2 to burn him with (as 100 stacks of corruption make the target unhealable). In phase 2, make sure that everyone is stacked for the aoe heals which help tons (with the recent change to resto shamans, our guildy shaman has said his healing rain ticks for almost 2x of what it used to), in addition to the aoe interupts and stuns for the tentacle adds should help. Also, it's pretty insignificant on normal, but if you're having a hard time with damage, make sure that people who have enough corruption to start puking face away from the raid (healers face away from the raid at all times, and the puke only lasts a few seconds every so often) since it does cause unneccessary damage.

Wow everyone thanks for all the great critiques. I'm going to be emailing the link to this thread to my raid leader, GM, and our warrior tank. I'm sure we'll be able to work on some of the things you mentioned here. Thanks again.

10+ Year Old Account
    our guild just downed him tonight after about 2hours on him. at first hes a little wonky learning when that damn MC is going to try and fuck you over. Our group found that having a shaman throw down his fire elemental on your last wave of adds makes those things fall so fast. Also those eyes in phase 2 or 3 if you count fire/shadow as seperate phases can be interrupted and jesus does that help we just had someone arcane torrent if they were close enough or indervidually interrupt. wiped on 178k once was so demoralizing >.< granted we had a damn good chogall make up
    Enhance sham
    Holy pal
    Holy priest
    Resto drood
    Hunter
    Fire mage x2
    Blood DK
    Prot paladin
    Elemental Shaman

Quote Originally Posted by Zayniel View Post
    May I ask what you do about Fury of Cho'gall if you use one tank..?
    We monitor the DBM cooldown timer and have our holy paladin and DPS DK pop defensive cooldowns and taunt just for the Fury cast, and then have our tank taunt back. If it's executed properly, the tank never has more than one or zero stacks of Fury on him.

You might want try to poke hunter and warrior to go fury and MM, for better dps output. Fire mage would help here alot too.

In p1 make sure you avoid all shadow crashes.
    Every cast by adds should be interrupted.
    Tank Cho'gall near his throne, kill adds near entrance, kill them close to existing puddles, this will allow you to line them up nicely for ice trap and AoE them down with hunter and mage, those 2 should be able to handle those, if not add someone there.
    In p2 tank him up at his throne and everyone should stand as close as they can, inside the skull or whatever that is. This will make the tentacle eyes spawn next to him making them easy aoe target.

1 Avoid crashes and slimes
    2 P2 tank as high up on throne as possible to group up adds... aoe them down quickly and barely have to interrupt b/c they die so fast.
    3 Spirit Link
    4 Collect Loot

Quote Originally Posted by Omgwtfbbq View Post
    You might want try to poke hunter and warrior to go fury and MM, for better dps output. Fire mage would help here alot too.

In p1 make sure you avoid all shadow crashes.
    Every cast by adds should be interrupted.
    Tank Cho'gall near his throne, kill adds near entrance, kill them close to existing puddles, this will allow you to line them up nicely for ice trap and AoE them down with hunter and mage, those 2 should be able to handle those, if not add someone there.
    In p2 tank him up at his throne and everyone should stand as close as they can, inside the skull or whatever that is. This will make the tentacle eyes spawn next to him making them easy aoe target.
    There's nothing wrong with Arms atm, it's just as good as or better than fury.

On topic, my guild is also having some troubles, mainly because we have had quite terrible dps - most likely due to being bad at breaking worships, which should be easy enough with 4-5 blood elves if everyone actually stack up properly. Still, Cho being at 30% after 8 ****ing minutes was a bit depressing.

A tip for P2; have your prot paladin use his shield on the tentacles, if they are close enough it should be able to bounce and interrupt several ones.

Edit: and your Arms warrior is seemingly playing quite poorly, Generally MS/OP/Slam should be about 20/20/20%, with MS being slightly higher, your arms warrior has slam at the top with 25%, then MS, then OP... something smells fishy there, tbh.
    Last edited by Maxie; 2011-05-06 at 03:54 PM.