Page 1 of 2
LastLast

HM Maloriak 10- wut you spriests duz

Forgive the silliness of the title;

Ok hardmode maloriak 10m as the title says. Its dark phase and all the slimes are up. BOOM snap into action, what are you spriests doing?

I opened up on one of the slimes with a full rotation of SWP > VT > DP > MB > SWD then continued to hit that add as my target with Mind Sear. Each time VT came close to ending I would do that entire aforementioned rotation and go right back into mind sear. I would be spamming SWD on cooldown, and especially on the slimes with sub 25% hp to try and nab any soul tap procs I could. I was hitting roughly 23k dps, but the adds still took a little bit. On our worst tries we had 2 slimes up by the time we went into the next phase (both below 15%), and on best tries none up on entry of the next phase. So its close.

I spoke to my GM who mains as a disc priest but is pretty god mode as shadow and his main concern was my mana. By the end of the first green cycle I was holding steady at about 50%. This is using my arcane torrent and shadowfiend on CD but no Hymn of Hope usage as of that point. I was pretty positive that I could continue to juggle the mana and make it through another dark phase.

I just want to know if there is anything I could/should be doing better.

Thanks mmo-community

Quick Edit: On a few attempts I did try JUST single targetting an add (or even a little multi-dotting), it felt as if the adds went down incredibly slow and I was also constantly tanking whatever add I single targetted. Using the mind sear approach seemed to make it so that all the adds were sub 25% at the same time making SWD spamming ideal. Also when I just multi dotted and focused a single slime that seemed to be far more of a mana sink than single target dotting and mind sear. Throwing that in there to see if that adds any light to what I was doing
    Last edited by Revale; 2011-05-06 at 12:24 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't play Shadow in PvE, so I must apologise if I am missing something, but does not throwing in random SW: D's keep your mana up with Masochism? Or do you not spec that in PvE anymore?

Deleted
    You will find that in order to keep the dots up, you dont have time to mind sear, mostly. I think I did around 300k damage on Swills last kill with Mind Sear

1) Use Mind Flay to keep Dark Evangelism up 2) Use Mind Blast near the end of Empowered Shadow 3) Set a focus target for DP 4) Dotting is more efficient than Mind Searing, you will do a lot more damage like that 5) Try to be at full mana before both Dark Phases and start SWing on cooldown when you are at 30% until you feel is enough

When they start spawning I dot them all with VT, then start running around like mad, dotting them with SWP and in turn creating loads of Shadowy Apparitions. When the SWPs are applied, I find that its already time to refresh VTs again and by that time I will have used a Mind Flay and Mind Blast as well. I also use my fiend in dark phase and sometimes SW for mana. With great play, you should not go oom or be forced to use Dispersion or even Archangel.
    Last edited by mmoc4282a3f415; 2011-05-06 at 12:29 PM.

Tbh i don't see why you wouldn't just mind sear spam.. With the buffed damage it's doing pretty well, and with all the vile swills + 3 abberations there should be enough targets for it to be effective. (Note: if you don't have 3 abberations you're doing the fight the hard way.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima View Post
    I don't play Shadow in PvE, so I must apologise if I am missing something, but does not throwing in random SW: D's keep your mana up with Masochism? Or do you not spec that in PvE anymore?
    It absolutely does, but like I did mention I am using SWD on cooldown for that purpose.

You will find that in order to keep the dots up, you dont have time to mind sear, mostly. I think I did around 300k damage on Swills last kill with Mind Sear

1) Use Mind Flay to keep Dark Evangelism up 2) Use Mind Blast near the end of Empowered Shadow 3) Set a focus target for DP

When they start spawning I dot them all with VT, then start running around like mad, dotting them with SWP and in turn creating loads of Shadowy Apparitions. When the SWPs are applied, I find that its already time to refresh VTs again and by that time I will have used a Mind Flay and Mind Blast as well. I also use my fiend in dark phase and sometimes SW for mana. With great play, you should not go oom or be forced to use Dispersion or even Archangel.
    You didnt find your mana to be greatly taxed? I will definatly try this. Would you mind shooting me a character link so I can compare? Maybe there is a gear difference or something. I am noticing when I do that much multi dotting i am drained on mana quickly. But I really like the idea of getting shadowy apparitions to come out en masse, and with the movement involved in that phase it would only seem to make sense that this works.

When you say you create a target for DP, is this also your target for MB as well? Or are you arbitrarily using MB on whatever suits your purpose at that time? I like your idea, it seems solid... but my mana just feels like it wont sustain. Which means I may be doing something wrong.

---------- Post added 2011-05-06 at 08:31 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by hikamiro View Post
    Tbh i don't see why you wouldn't just mind sear spam.. With the buffed damage it's doing pretty well, and with all the vile swills + 3 abberations there should be enough targets for it to be effective. (Note: if you don't have 3 abberations you're doing the fight the hard way.)
    Why do you say that? We held off on abberations until after dark phase, spawning 9 of them for the green phase. Generally they would die with no issue (generally... although there was an attempt or two where 2-3 were alive with sub 15% hp)

Quote Originally Posted by Revale View Post

Why do you say that? We held off on abberations until after dark phase, spawning 9 of them for the green phase. Generally they would die with no issue (generally... although there was an attempt or two where 2-3 were alive with sub 15% hp)
    Because adds during black phase die just as easily (only 30% damage reduction, very easy to kill with the swills), and healing or attempting to kite 9 adds is hard, atleast harder then the fight needs to be. If you want to set up Ring of Frost + Hunter Traps + Earthbind Totems, be my guest. But it's a lot harder then just getting 3 abberations during the black.

Deleted
    Mind Sear does less damage than dotting and will continue to do so, even with Empowered Shadows. Add to this the requirement of movement in the fight, sometimes you get followed by Sludges and you dont have the time Mind Sear takes. And if you clip it everytime, I imagine it is even less effective and like this you CAN go oom, because it takes a hell of a lot mana. I have tried both ways and dotting deals significantly more damage and makes my life easier as well.

To Revale: I mostly use MB on whichever mob on that fight. But I too sometimes have mana problems. Then I will just Archangel or when I see that I am somehow trapped between sludges, throw in a Dispersion and walk through them. It is rare though, and if you say that you are using SW : D on cooldown, I dont know whats going wrong. Just try to go to the dark phase with 100% mana, definitely. Also, regarding AddOns, on that fight Tidy Plates is king with the right configuration. When I didnt have it, I would tab and whenver I tabbed, I would in automode start dotting but it usually failed and I refreshed a 10 sec VT and then I again tabbed to the mob that didnt need refreshing etc. Back then I would go oom as well like this, but I dont know if you are doing it like this. I would show you my character, but apparently Blizzard login servers are down
    Last edited by mmoc4282a3f415; 2011-05-06 at 12:42 PM.

Because adds during black phase die just as easily (only 30% damage reduction, very easy to kill with the swills), and healing or attempting to kite 9 adds is hard, atleast harder then the fight needs to be. If you want to set up Ring of Frost + Hunter Traps + Earthbind Totems, be my guest. But it's a lot harder then just getting 3 abberations during the black.
    My concern is already having minor issues getting out of the black phase cleanly with no adds. Wouldnt adding three abberations to the mix only cut down the amount of aoe dmg I am doing to the swills? Mind sear is very nice for that phase, and sure it inflates the HELL out of my dps, but I also question its usefulness to the raid in general when the adds have 2mil hp.

---------- Post added 2011-05-06 at 08:41 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Potentio View Post
    Mind Sear does less damage than dotting and will continue to do so, even with Empowered Shadows. Add to this the requirement of movement in the fight, sometimes you get followed by Sludges and you dont have the time Mind Sear takes. And if you clip it everytime, I imagine it is even less effective and like this you CAN go oom, because it takes a hell of a lot mana. I have tried both ways and dotting deals significantly more damage and makes my life easier as well.

To Revale: I mostly use MB on whichever mob on that fight. But I too sometimes have mana problems. Then I will just Archangel or when I see that I am somehow trapped between sludges, throw in a Dispersion and walk through them. It is rare though, and if you say that you are using SW : D on cooldown, I dont know whats going wrong. Just try to go to the dark phase with 100% mana, definitely. Also, regarding AddOns, on that fight Tidy Plates is king with the right configuration. I would show you my character, but apparently Blizzard login servers are down
    I <3 Tidy Plates. I use it already. Ill look into configuring something special for that encounter. Any insight on a set up for that?

No, the abberation buff only applies to other abberations and the boss. the swills do not take reduced damage with them up.

Also: Against multiple targets dps is dps. If you're killing single targets down, while the rest of your raid is AoEing, you're actually doing worse for you raid then you would if you just AoE'ed also. (By killing a target you reduce the number of cleave targets negating everyone elses DPS, as compared to you AoEing, where all targets would die slightly faster as a group.)

Also: Against multiple targets dps is dps. If you're killing single targets down, while the rest of your raid is AoEing, you're actually doing worse for you raid then you would if you just AoE'ed also. (By killing a target you reduce the number of cleave targets negating everyone elses DPS, as compared to you AoEing, where all targets would die slightly faster as a group.)
    Arent most aoe abilities capped at a certain number anyway? I know that mind sear is. So it depends

No, the abberation buff only applies to other abberations and the boss. the swills do not take reduced damage with them up.

What I actually meant was not adding the buff to the slimes, but I mean by adding abberations you decrease the amount of aoe dmg spread out across the entire pack of crap.

I am actually looking at our logs from last night, I may be mistaken on wether or not we had abberations out in dark phase. i didnt exactly pay attention to any being released (i know, I should know this) until it was time to kill them on green phase.

You need a lot more then 15 mobs to AoE cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Arent most aoe abilities capped at a certain number anyway? I know that mind sear is. So it depends
    ^^^^ thats what I was talking about

Deleted
    I get by in that fight by first tossing VT up on all swills (usually skipping 3 aberrations as there are only so many targets I can keep dots up on simultaneously and 5 swills are plenty), then following up with SW:P and one DP. After that's done I fill time between VT recasts by tabbing the swills and mindflaying them to keep SW:P up without recasts as much as possible. Obviously keeping the SW:P up on all of them via mindflaying AND not letting VT drop off is pretty much impossible - both will fall off from time to time. However, the more practice you have the better uptime will be - moreover, that way mana should not pose too much of a problem. Delay first fiend till the swills spawn and you spend the mana on dotting them up, use dispersion if you have to move more than a few steps to keep up/survive, abuse double SW execute as individual targets start dropping below 20% - when lucky I come out of first black phase with nearly full mana.

Deleted
    I browsed through WoL logs and while most high ranked priests have achieved good results by multidotting, there were a few Mind Searing priests as well. I guess it is viable then if all of them are together.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/1...e=7485#Elewyna

Mana Gains:

Masochism 309705 mana
    Mana Leech 162242 mana
    Archangel 144060 mana
    Replenishment 49871 mana
    Last edited by mmoc4282a3f415; 2011-05-06 at 01:32 PM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I try to VT them all, then work on getting orb, MB, then target the adds tank and start searing, repeat when VT and ES start falling off.
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Deleted
    During Dark phase:

- Don't let ES expire.
    - Don't drop your Evangelism stacks.
    - Keep VT up on as many targets as possible.
    - Keep DP up on one target.
    - Keep sw: P up on 2-4 targets for orbs (depending on how much movement you're forced into).
    - Mind sear as filler.
    - Sw: p on movement, sw:d if mana is an issue. Try to use your sw:d cooldown to snipe double execute sw:ds when you are later into the fight.
    - Don't use shadowfiend as a dps cooldown, try to synergize it with your int procs but without capping your mana.
    - Archangel if mana is a heavy issue, dispersion while repositioning if your mana bar forces you into it.
    - Hymn of hope: Sorry but you lost the game, better luck next time.
    Last edited by mmoca20fa69a21; 2011-05-06 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Funkthepunk View Post
    During Dark phase:

- Don't let ES expire.
    - Don't drop your Evangelism stacks.
    - Keep VT up on as many targets as possible.
    - Keep DP up on one target.
    - Keep sw: P up on 2-4 targets for orbs (depending on how much movement you're forced into).
    - Mind sear as filler.
    - Sw: p on movement, sw:d if mana is an issue. Try to use your sw:d cooldown to snipe double execute sw:ds when you are later into the fight.
    - Don't use shadowfiend as a dps cooldown, try to synergize it with your int procs but without capping your mana.
    - Archangel if mana is a heavy issue, dispersion while repositioning if your mana bar forces you into it.
    - Hymn of hope: Sorry but you lost the game, better luck next time.
    Pretty damn precise and to the point. Thanks man

btw that last line made me lol
    Last edited by Revale; 2011-05-06 at 06:51 PM.

If i were a spriest I would just spam holy nova on them! it would heal the little turkish tank, the turkish fury warrior, and the drunk ret pally while being pro holy deepz!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Maes View Post
    If i were a spriest I would just spam holy nova on them! it would heal the little turkish tank, the turkish fury warrior, and the drunk ret pally while being pro holy deepz!!!!
    Get lost death knight! This is a priest forum only!