Warlock Leveling

Heylo, Im leveling a warlock with full BoA's (cept the ring) and plan on lvling through dungeons with a friend.

What would be the spec to go as leveling, for dungeons? What spells would I use on trash for the highest overall dps? Which pet should I have out? Etc.

Any other tips you have for leveling a new warlock?

Ty in advance.

To be perfectly honest, all three specs are completely viable. Personally I leveled Affliction, drain tanking + blueberry (Voidwalker tank) is always awesome; although the felpuppy will probably be a better option for leveling affliction now. Plus, dotting up everything in sight and then looting the bodies afterward never gets old! If you're looking to top the meters (on trash) I'd recommend Demonology + Felguard + Lolstorm. If you want high burst (like a mage) go Destruction + Imp. I hope this helped!

Helped alot TY, ill give it a try, just hit 8 (in like 10 minutes, wow its fast) 1 more min and ill be 10 and can pick talents =P

When does felguard get lolstorm?
    Last edited by Kyzar; 2011-05-06 at 07:07 PM.

45? Ugh, so far away lol.

Affliction with imp is pretty op, dot one up with UA, Corrupt, and Agony, let your imp fire away at it as the mob runs to you, then start on another one with UA, Corrupt, and DL, both will die right next to you, easy looting. If you use VW he will tank a mob and leave it far away from you. More time spend looting is wasted time. With BOA gear your dots will destroy, and you will have huge mana pool if you have 22 int to your weapon. At 30 I picked up a destruction offspec for fun, the burst is pretty nice. I filled out all the first tier talents then two points into making conflag daze for 5 seconds, you destroy mobs, immolate, conflag, then 3 hasted shadow bolts. But I still feel like affliction is most efficient leveling. In dungeons with all the AoE spamming, your dots don't have a lot of time to tick to duration. I'd tend to think either demo with felguard doing AoE plus Rain of Fire, or just Destro with Rain of Fire would be better in dungeons at the moment.

I haven't leveled a lock at low levels in quite some time but I played around with several specs at 80 and by far destro with imp was the fastest for my play style (server first 85 warlock was in my guild and was also destro).

The burst is amazing. You basically cast immolate at range on a target and a conflagrate and he is dead. If not, the imp can finish him off as you run towards him to loot him (if you decide to loot him, unless the quest requires it I usually skip this at low levels and the gold and materials you get are basically worthless). If you need to, you can also alternate between casting instant cast soul fires and chaos bolts for extra damage. You blow through mobs in 2-3 GCDs so leveling is fast and with soul leech at level 39 you have no down time. Destro is akin to leveling as MM, where you one shot every mob in the game with aim shot (seriously, I am leveling a hunter who is now level 48 and I have one shot about 90% of the mobs I have ever fought...it is op).

I personally never liked dotting up 2-3 mobs at a time. I found it was brutal on mana on most of my toons and mosts mobs are spread out enough that it wasn't worth it. It takes too long for dots to tick the mobs down and you can easily get in a situation where you pulled too much. As a result, affliction isn't a good option for me although if that is the way you like to level it might be an option for you.

I definitely don't recommend demonology. Don't get me wrong, I love the spec for raiding but not for leveling. First, it will be the lowest single damage spec. Second, the felguard is no longer a tanking pet...it has no taunt. It also isn't the best damage pet for demonology (that is the felpuppy at least at max level). Yeah felstorm is awesome for aoe but if you are pulling 2-3 mobs at a time to make it worth using, affliction might be a better option (soulburn: seed of corruption, jinx, and glyphed soul swap would all be strong in this regard). In fact, you don't need a tanking pet at all as a warlock or a hunter. When I leveled 80-85 my imp was more than capable of taking a few hits, especially with fel synergy. But in BOAs, you should be killing shit so fast that everything should die before it even gets close enough to hit you. Lastly, demonology has excruciatingly long cast times on most of its abilities. It is a spec whose damage is balanced around metamorphosis and decimation, both of which are difficult to take full advantage of while leveling.

I would recommend getting duel spec at level 30 or whenever it is available and using it for demo. Why? Because you can basically solo any group quest in the game with a demo spec and using the voidwalker. Only use it on group quests vs. elites though and even then, you might be able to solo that content with a destro spec as well. Yes, warlocks are that awesome.
    Last edited by Drakkmur; 2011-05-07 at 03:20 PM.
    I am the co-host of a WoW related podcast at www.warcraftlounge.com. Check it out for tips on making gold, commentary on general WoW news, and entertaining recaps of the stupid shit that has happened to us in game. You can download us at iTunes, where we have a 5 star rating from our listeners.

Go destruction till dual spec at level 30, at lower levels in dungeons elites health is low dots wont be so beneficial other than on bosses. 1 crit on conflag and most trash will be on 50% health or lower its the best dps and (personal oppinion) the most fun. After 30 let your offspec be affliction or demo, i would go with affliction til 45 then demo.

All 3 are viable tho, so go with what you like but for dungeons at lower levels destro is a dps winner. for solo pve tho affliction ofcourse but if you level with a friend and only do dungeons destro is your path.

From what I can gather from reading up on the subject of Warlock leveling, your pet is an extra dps tool and you should be using yourself as the tank (providing your affliction). Correct me if I'm wrong of course, I don't know if this applies now but tanking 3-4 mobs by yourself whilst keeping dots up on all of them was a viable way to level in wrath. Using a pet to tank is pretty horrific by all accounts as it tends to run off and pull a million others. I know this from experience of leveling my first ever wow char (a hunter) :P

Self healing from affliction should still be good enough to heal yourself whilst pulling a load of mobs and DoTing them down within easy reach of looting.