Thread: Loot priority

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanji View Post
    My guild is currently progressing through the heroics and we have currently 7 founders which kind of lead the guild. Everytime we have a opinion poll about wherether we should give roles in the raid priority over the others, most of the founders do agree that healers and tanks should get priority over DPS.
    Most guilds gear in this order:

Tanks > DPS > Healers

The core reason healers are last is that it takes an enormous amount of gear to drop a healer in favor of a DPS. For example, we started doing heroic Omnotron and heroic Magmaw with 8 healers (back before all the nerfs). It took us 4-5 weeks before we felt like the healers had enough gear to drop a healer and pick up a DPS.

Healing produces a binary result: sufficient or insufficient. Thus as soon as you have the gear to be "sufficient," you should stop gearing your healers.

In most fights, your tanks take more damage than anyone else during the encounter. Thus giving your tank a marginal upgrade significantly decreases the raid's damage intake. If your tanks take 2% less damage, then that probably means your entire raid is taking 1% less damage.

For DPS, you're also mitigating damage by securing a faster kill. Usually, the bench marks can be very big: skipping a Fued on Chimaeron, or skipping a Golem spawn on Omnotron, or killing the Elementium Monstrosity a bit faster, or skipping Adherents on Cho'gall.

Really, you should gear for the next fight. Most fights are a DPS check, but a few are healer checks. If your next progression boss is Chimaeron or Omnotron, you should gear your healers. If your next progression boss is Nefarian, Maloriak, Cho'gall, or Sinestra, you should gear your DPS.

My statement may seem a little redundant I do apologize its kinda late :P, the way my guild does it is we look at whoever the item would benefit the most regardless of the set in stone tank > heal > dps. Now while it usually does come down to role that is not always the case and whoever needs it most will depend on your "Weakest" link so to speak.

Personally I think the DKP system still works to this day...As for LOOT Priority...It is really hard to say...But I don't really understand due to the fact that if a tank piece drops it will go to a tank unless they don't need it and if a Healing piece drops it will go to a healer...I have always loved looking at other people and whoever it is a bigger upgrade for I would give them the loot as long as they have participated well enough...

Keepin' it simple:
    Gearing a raid is sort of like gearing yourself (as far as combat ratings go). You probably don't want too much of this or too much of that, you want a good balance to do well. One stat is usually favored more than the rest, but don't go too crazy or the rest will suffer.

(yea yea... generally speaking. Not like this is a rule for every class/spec. please don't hurt me)

I'm sure you get my point though

Basically what the guy below me said.
    Last edited by chrisnumbers; 2011-05-07 at 06:27 AM.

I'd say it should go to whoever it's a bigger upgrade for, regardless of role

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksen View Post
    Most guilds gear in this order:

Tanks > DPS > Healers

The core reason healers are last is that it takes an enormous amount of gear to drop a healer in favor of a DPS. For example, we started doing heroic Omnotron and heroic Magmaw with 8 healers (back before all the nerfs). It took us 4-5 weeks before we felt like the healers had enough gear to drop a healer and pick up a DPS.

Healing produces a binary result: sufficient or insufficient. Thus as soon as you have the gear to be "sufficient," you should stop gearing your healers.

In most fights, your tanks take more damage than anyone else during the encounter. Thus giving your tank a marginal upgrade significantly decreases the raid's damage intake. If your tanks take 2% less damage, then that probably means your entire raid is taking 1% less damage.

For DPS, you're also mitigating damage by securing a faster kill. Usually, the bench marks can be very big: skipping a Fued on Chimaeron, or skipping a Golem spawn on Omnotron, or killing the Elementium Monstrosity a bit faster, or skipping Adherents on Cho'gall.

Really, you should gear for the next fight. Most fights are a DPS check, but a few are healer checks. If your next progression boss is Chimaeron or Omnotron, you should gear your healers. If your next progression boss is Nefarian, Maloriak, Cho'gall, or Sinestra, you should gear your DPS.
    Basically, this. My main is a priest healer, 9/13H. Not astounding, but not that terrible either. Once you reach a certain point of gear as a healer, you don't really need anymore and it's not going to effect the outcome of the encounter. It's a pass/fail kind of thing. Once you have enough gear to keep the group alive and not oom, you don't NEED anymore gear. At which point, the gear would be better placed elsewhere.

So, IMO, tanks>healers (until sufficient)>dps>healers (after sufficient gear is acquired).

Well, in general loot priority should be based more on performance, attendance and how much you have already gotten. It is a game and keeping people happy is part of success as well.

But the guy below is correct if the other factors are equal, or you don't care about them.

Quote Originally Posted by killars View Post
    Tanks > DPS > Healers

Healers are absolute last priority as gear plays a lot less of a factor in their role than it does for a tank / DPS. Healing is reaction, awareness, strategy and composition. DPS / Tanks cannot do more damage or take less damage over what their gear allows them to. Mathematically it's impossible to output more than you are capable of. Healers vary in potential depending on the above attributes I've listed. Fights end faster when your DPS is better and therefore you have less chances of going OOM. DPS should take as little damage as possible to control the damage they are taking. Healers should learn how to properly heal effectively and not pad meters and over heal. Learn the fight and heal accordingly, you are not supposed to just tunnel HP bars and top people up ASAP with mana inefficient spells if there is no immediate danger.

The next time you wipe to a boss think "If my healers had 2000 more mana and 3% more healing would we have wiped?" or "If our DPS did 3% more damage would we have wiped?". I'm being a bit crude, but all this is backed up by how a lot of other top end guilds do loot.
    I am only at !362, but at this point I really don't need any more gear. I could heal all the heroics fine in just 358. Like a previous poster said "Healing produces a binary result: sufficient or insufficient." Once you're sufficient it is not really an issue.

I only want it because I like shiny stuff And over time it will allow for easy farming, but for progression heals are last.
    Last edited by Sprucelee; 2011-05-07 at 07:30 AM.

Tanks can only mitigate damage by gear?
    DPS can only increase damage by gear?
    You either need better tanks and DPS or you already have the best players in the whole freaking world.
    For anything in between, reaction, awareness, strategy and composition are as important as for healers.
    A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire
    winning
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose