Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Seems too punitive to me as it is a life sentence.
    His family is not his family. The 2 women he loved are dead (one directly and one indirectly by his hand), he fought literal death and has already died once before.
    A life sentence makes sense for a guy that will just want to die and leave it all behind at that point.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

I think the real problem with Game of Thrones is the span that it took to do the whole series along with trying to cram in too much in too little. The average person has no attention span. Well doesn't think about what they watch really. GoT was on a higher level of attention to detail and needed higher level thinking. The show also needs people to think in the context of the characters. Many people don't. Its also why some people don't like West World and think that things like Big Bang Theory is good TV.

10+ Year Old Account
    That seems like the best possible ending, sans Jon taking the black. Jaime didn't have to take the black, why does Jon?
    Because the writers of the story have gone braindead and just want to end the show ASAP?
    What would the NW even accomplish, there is no NK and Wall anymore.

JuSt DoN't ThInK aBoUt It.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Because the writers of the story have gone braindead and just want to end the show ASAP?
    What would the NW even accomplish, there is no NK and Wall anymore.

JuSt DoN't ThInK aBoUt It.
    supposedly the NK has been defeated in the past and will have to be defeated again at some point in the distant future.
    But yes, just don't think about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    supposedly the NK has been defeated in the past and will have to be defeated again at some point in the distant future.
    But yes, just don't think about it.
    I mean, weren't all the WW imprisoned, instead of exploded?

I mean, weren't all the WW imprisoned, instead of exploded?
    Either this is the first time the NK has been defeated in ~6000 years or he can come back.
    The more logical assumption is, imo, that he and the WW's in general can come back.

That seems like the best possible ending, sans Jon taking the black. Jaime didn't have to take the black, why does Jon?
    I don't think it is at all a good ending. Read the more in-depth leaks, it's horrific. That spoiler is just the rough outline, which sounds generally fine. I think even that outline has the worst possible character to be on the throne, though.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I don't think it is at all a good ending. Read the more in-depth leaks, it's horrific. That spoiler is just the rough outline, which sounds generally fine. I think even that outline has the worst possible character to be on the throne, though.
    bUt iT suBVertS yOuR eXpecTAtiOnS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooba View Post
    bUt iT suBVertS yOuR eXpecTAtiOnS.
    You know what would be a great ending? Bobby B coming back from the dead and taking his throne back.

GODS HE WAS STRONG THEN.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You folks making these kinds of arguments, you realize you're all basing them off the presumption that Daenerys gives any shits about the people, that she's a good and compassionate person?

Because that's a presumption that has essentially zero basis in the actual show and the presentation of her character. It's something you wanted to believe was true, but it never has been.
    I literally said the opposite multiple times in the last few pages regarding my assumptions of her character, but thanks for playing. You've gone far enough off the deep end all you can do is strawman now.

- - - Updated - - -

You know what would be a great ending? Bobby B coming back from the dead and taking his throne back.

GODS HE WAS STRONG THEN.
    I think Drogon should start talking, roast Dany both literally and figuratively, and demand the throne.

tHey'D NeVer seE iT cOmInG.

Jon 'taking the black' will be one of the bigger punches to the face they'll pull. It's absolutely nonsensical.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    Jon 'taking the black' will be one of the bigger punches to the face they'll pull. It's absolutely nonsensical.
    As opposed to everything else in S8?

LeT's ChArGe LiGhT cAvaLry StRaIgHt InTo ThOuSaNdS oF uNdEaD!

The only letdown in S8 is the way the battles were shown and the dynamics of said battles. The sacking of King's Landing is an exception that looked pretty good, through the armies seemed completely insignificant at the beginning. The carnage shown within the city walls was one of the best battle representations from the standpoint of the average person.

The quick schedule they were on is the thing I blame here the most, with the battles being poorly directed indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnagarde View Post
    The only letdown in S8 is the way the battles were shown and the dynamics of said battles. The sacking of King's Landing is an exception that looked pretty good, through the armies seemed completely insignificant at the beginning. The carnage shown within the city walls was one of the best battle representations from the standpoint of the average person.

The quick schedule they were on is the thing I blame here the most, with the battles being poorly directed indeed.
    I can't think of a single GoT battle that I liked the direction of. The camera FoV is too narrow and it's shaky a lot of the time, never showing the full picture or allowing the eyes to rest. The editors cut between shots too quickly as well for motion to become clear or the impact of event to set in. Doesn't help that the direction makes it feel like nameless armies smashing into each other a lot of the time. Compare to say, Helm's Deep, where it's absolutely clear what is happening at all times and you feel for the characters because they are always in focus, not nameless masses of armies.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I can't think of a single GoT battle that I liked the direction of. The camera FoV is too narrow and it's shaky a lot of the time, never showing the full picture or allowing the eyes to rest. The editors cut between shots too quickly as well for motion to become clear or the impact of event to set in. Doesn't help that the direction makes it feel like nameless armies smashing into each other a lot of the time. Compare to say, Helm's Deep, where it's absolutely clear what is happening at all times and you feel for the characters because they are always in focus, not nameless masses of armies.
    I believe the whole shaking is intentional in order for the chaos to translate over to the viewers. I'm pretty sure it was intended to be exactly like that, though I can understand not everyone got the intended message from it. I think this is also in part due to the way things are rushed and they had to make jumps from scene to scene in order to wrap up all these long-standing stories.

P.S: just remembered Battle of the Bastards. That was the one battle where I was able to understand everything going on.

The leaked ending is absolute trash. At this point I'm hoping it's a successful troll by D&D. Honestly if it plays out like the leaks I'm going to be sitting there in absolute bemusement as the credits roll. Bran being king makes no sense at all, and the Nightswatch existing once the Night King is defeated and there's a massive hole in the wall makes even less sense. The only possible thing that could redeem that scenario is if the Bran Is Evil theory is true and we see how the Three-Eyed Raven has been manipulating everything.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelcryo View Post
    Personally I don't think the writing is particularly bad in season 8, I just think it's rushed. D&D either don't have the skills to foreshadow the way GRRM does or they didn't have the time. If I were to blame anyone I'd blame HBO more than the writers, if they had given them more episodes or even another season then the story could have been amazing even if it followed the same plot points as it has this season.

Arya/Bran/NK needed more time. If they had set the scene and allowed for a bit of epilogue to that whole event, instead of "Arya is the hero, now to Kings Landing" it probably would have been received much better. We needed explanations that we never got which made the whole thing feel rushed and out of place.

Dany - Her descent into the mad queen has been foreshadowed for seasons. The problem is, it flipped like a switch instead of a slower, more believable descent. We saw she was feeling alone and betrayed yes but we've also seen plenty of times she wanted to fight for innocents. We've seen no corruption in her view of civilians, only those around her. It made sense to burn Varys, it makes sense to be angry at Jon, it makes sense to not trust Tyrion, they've all got reasons. We were given no reason why she suddenly saw innocent women and children as deserving to die. Again, a few more scenes of her being shunned by the citizens, not just the nobels, of Westeros would have made this a much more believable transition.

Cersei: All she's done is drink wine staring out the window or banter with/fuck Euron. She had no interesting scheming scenes this season which frankly made her death seem like a small thing. We have spent so much time with other characters this series and it was two years before that that we really really last saw her being the manipulative scheming woman we knew, it was easy to sort of forget the "can't wait for her to die" feeling a lot of people had. So when she did die it was just like "oh, ok she's gone".

Tyrion: A totally wasted character this series.. Tyrions character has always relied on complexity which they've just not bothered with this series. Whether it was because there was no time for complexity or whether they can't write him as well as GRRM I don't know. Hoping his character gets something memorable in the final episode.

Overall I think more time could have saved this series or at least saved it from being as terrible as many people see it. Personally I'm enjoying it but I do think it's been rushed too much.
    Wrong on all accounts as HBO WANTED more seasons and each season with 10 episodes but dumb&dumber said no and we have this shit now.

I assume they did that bcs they´re contracted to work for the mouse on Star Wars and wouldn´t had time if not for the short seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You folks making these kinds of arguments, you realize you're all basing them off the presumption that Daenerys gives any shits about the people, that she's a good and compassionate person?

Because that's a presumption that has essentially zero basis in the actual show and the presentation of her character. It's something you wanted to believe was true, but it never has been.
    Dany

*frees slaves of Astapor*

Has

*frees slaves of Yunkai*

Never

*frees slaves of Meereen*

Been

*compromises to make lives of lowborn better, whole arc based on breaking wheel*

Good

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Full scale battle scenes ala Lotr are beyond the scope of GoT. The amount of people and cost to produce it is simply not practical. I mean, in the early seasons you didn't even get to see the battles, just a cut from before to after.