1. #26241
    The Unstoppable Force Puupi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    21,007
    Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    Keyword: adaptation. HBO bought the rights to ADAPT Martin's work within certain bounds, gaining access to portraying characters, events and such on TV the way they see fit. It's entirely their problem that the source material ended, nobody prodded dead Tolkien with a stick to write more after Return of the King was released in cinemas. And no, the art of adaptation is not a game of tag, when someone "overcomes" someone else they don't switch places. Fuck, especially since there are literally 2 different timelines between TV show and the books, HBO created scenes that don't happen in books, and books contain material that wasn't shown in the series, or changed entirely (Dorne plot, for instance).

    Damn, I know I shouldn't have replied to this, but it's just so freaking dumb.
    Yes, that's how it works technically and in theory

    However, how the public perceives his revisionist version, if it ever even will be released, on the story already seen on TV years before is an entirely different thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

  2. #26242
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Literally had to boot up HBO to see if it was true. It was. How sloppy can you be? They're so over this show.
    omfg I did the same and right, this was indeed a blunder.

    How the fuck does this go through cut, edit and screening, when you spend 2 years filming it omg?!

  3. #26243
    Bloodsail Admiral Isilrien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    The North
    Posts
    1,084
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    omfg I did the same and right, this was indeed a blunder.

    How the fuck does this go through cut, edit and screening, when you spend 2 years filming it omg?!
    I hear ya. HBO went and edited it out recently, so that's something I guess.

  4. #26244
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    We saw like 10-20 Dothraki run back after the initial charge. The idea that half are still alive is just a insult to the audience’s intelligence.
    Seriously, the casualties sustained by the defenders of Winterfell is a serious case of them showing us one thing and telling us another. Everyone's fucking dead in episode 3, except for the plot armored main characters of course. The entire castle is completely full of bodies and said main characters are hanging on to dear life, I think there's like one sequence where we see a tower being overrun towards the end right before the NK gets Arya'd but apart from that almost no common soldier is seen standing.

    But now half of them survived? Wut? These guys are cheating. That's not what was shown at all.

  5. #26245
    The Lightbringer Thekri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Posts
    3,971
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    The scene with the boat ambush has to be one of the biggest mistakes in any show in the last decade. How bad is that writing? Rocking boat, moving dragons, 3-4 consecutive direct hits from boats that also should've been visible to somebody who was flying that high.
    I mean it is really bad, but I don't actually know it is any worse then the two previous time the iron fleet attacked. The first time they somehow found the fleet going to dorne in a massive fog bank, and managed get so close they rammed the main characters flagship with Eurons flagship. Before someone says that the ironborne can navigate in a fog, consider that all of Yara and Theon's men were ironborne too.

    The second time, Euron managed to race over to the other side of the continent to attack the other fleet that left Dragonstone at the same time as the first one. This time he managed to ambush them on a clear day, when the view we have you can see for dozens of miles. And again, his ships are all up in their grill barbequing everyone before anyone notices.

    This time he managed to ambush flying dragons using a fleet of medieval sailing ships. Then he used medieval surface to air missiles to go 3 for 3 on the first dragon, and 0 for 20 on the second. Then he used those weapons to annihilate an entire fleet in seconds, and promptly disappeared again.

    I mean it is all silly, but at least they are fairly consistent about it being a superpowered ghost fleet that wrecks people harder then the Flying Dutchmen does.

  6. #26246
    Quote Originally Posted by Isilrien View Post
    I hear ya. HBO went and edited it out recently, so that's something I guess.
    Ugh... I mean I do enjoy the show still, but only because I have started to ignore the overwhelmingly stupid decisions the characters are taking or the glaring plotholes, like half the army still being alive after E3 (like, wtf?) or sending the unsullied away on a boat trip. Or those massively OP ballistae with aimbots.

    Just look at this here

    First bolt hit from the bottom left side of the screen, straight into his torso:



    Second bolt hit from the left center side of the screen, going through his wing



    Thrid bolt hit from the RIGHT CENTER side of the screen, piercing his neck.




    How the fuck is this possible based on the positions of the ships? Either they're spread so badly around that they can shoot from two sides, or GoT doesn't give a fuck about realistic trajectories.

    And judging on where the ships were in the next few shots, my call is on the latter.



    Right, we don't see Dany taking any turns, just heading straight for the ships (which makes it all even dumber, because then they should have been straight in her view)

    Nonetheless, to me it makes zero sense how they shot down Rhaegal
    Last edited by StayTuned; 2019-05-07 at 07:22 PM.

  7. #26247
    The Lightbringer Thekri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Posts
    3,971
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    How the fuck is this possible based on the positions of the ships? Either they're spread so badly around that they can shoot from two sides, or GoT doesn't give a fuck about realistic trajectories.

    And judging on where the ships were in the next few shots, my call is on the latter.
    I mean you aren't wrong... but that is what bothered you about that scene? I mean basically none of it made sense, so I guess we can just pile that onto the stack.

    Personally visual things like this don't bother me much, because some of it is a consequence of translating it to a visual medium. For instance, I assume in cannon all the characters actually wear helmets to battle, so a wight doesn't eat their squishy, unarmored face off. Helmets are the closest to a ubiquitous form of armor that exists, every culture used them on almost everyone that went into a fight on purpose because human heads are very exposed and vulnerable. But I accept they don't wear them in TV and movies just so you can keep track of the characters and see their facial expressions. I put the direction of the spear bolts in the same category, it doesn't really bother me what angle they come in, the point is that the dragon is very dead.

    Now you are still right, it is stupid and they could have done it better, but almost everything else about that scene bothers me more, because none of it makes sense to the rules of the setting.

  8. #26248
    The fact that they dont already have the dragons armored is stupid, their most valued war asset dies one after another. They have some awesome blacksmiths that surely could come up with something.
    Do you hear the voices too?

  9. #26249
    So the problem with this show is 100% the writers, right?

    The direction, production, and acting (overall) are superb. All of the stupid decisions, teleports, physics, impossible scenarios to maximize drama - all of that is a writing problem right?

    Other than the supposed cinematography baffle in s8e3 (which personally I never noticed during broadcast on my TV other than 'hey its dark!'), I think all of the problems with this show fall squarely on Benioff and Weiss. Without the backbone of GRRM writing, they are exposing themselves as hacks.

  10. #26250
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Y'know, I'd take that more seriously if I were still waiting anxiously for the next book. But I'm not. The first couple books were great, but 3 and 4 were a massive slog, especially given that they both cover the same time period, just separating between the continents. And there's not a huge amount that happens, that really matters, at least. Everything up to the Red Wedding, in the books and the show, is gold. After that, it starts to flag, and you start realizing that while Martin had a start to a story, he had no idea where it was ending.
    As a book reader and a show watcher, this is to me the Golden Era, so to speak, of Martin literary career in his A Song of Ice and Fire world. After that, the story quality systematically falls, in a way as if Martin himself got tiered of his own world and was writing for the sake of writing itself. A lot of hardcore fans of his often compare him to Tolkien and say how Tolkien never wrote anything serious and did not write about mature subjects. I disagree, but that is not the point. The point is that in the works of Tolkien, the story continues to flow like a beautiful river from the beginning of the story to the end of the story. Everything up to the Red Wedding, in the books and the show, flows beautifully, but after that? Not so good.

  11. #26251
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    I mean you aren't wrong... but that is what bothered you about that scene? I mean basically none of it made sense, so I guess we can just pile that onto the stack.

    Personally visual things like this don't bother me much, because some of it is a consequence of translating it to a visual medium. For instance, I assume in cannon all the characters actually wear helmets to battle, so a wight doesn't eat their squishy, unarmored face off. Helmets are the closest to a ubiquitous form of armor that exists, every culture used them on almost everyone that went into a fight on purpose because human heads are very exposed and vulnerable. But I accept they don't wear them in TV and movies just so you can keep track of the characters and see their facial expressions. I put the direction of the spear bolts in the same category, it doesn't really bother me what angle they come in, the point is that the dragon is very dead.

    Now you are still right, it is stupid and they could have done it better, but almost everything else about that scene bothers me more, because none of it makes sense to the rules of the setting.
    I mean I am just your average joe sitting on his chair and on second glance that's what bothered me insanely. At first I was of course also just shocked about Rhaegal getting destroyed all of a sudden. What I cannot believe is that people who are paid insanely more than I am and who are from the field do not notice, or they simply don't care about that level of detail.

    Or how maboy Euron doesn't give a fuck that Tyrion somehow knows about Cersei's pregnancy.

    Or the inconsistency between armies mentioned and armies shown. Wasn't Dany supposed to have 100.000 Dothraki Screamers? What we saw were maybe a thousand in the second to last episode.

    Or how they pretend to have lost only half their army while it was quite clear that it was just about a last man standing scenario towards the end.

    Or how Cersei could have just ended it all right there during the parley.

    I still like watching the show, don't get me wrong. But that's because I've lowered my expectations and start to analyze each episode only after 1-2 days. What a shame.

  12. #26252
    Quote Originally Posted by BaronRivendare View Post
    man this was way off :P
    Couldn't have been more off!

    I blame horrendous writing decisions.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh


  13. #26253
    It pisses me off how Euron was able to kill Rhaegal when the Night King and Viserion couldn't. It also pisses me off that the Night King isn't mentioned ONCE in this episode. You'd think Ice Satan would still be in everyone's thoughts. Finally, it greatly pisses me off how they made such a big deal out of the Night King and in the end he doesn't even get past Winterfell, the second northernmost castle in the continent. I wanted to see the South quiver in fear as the Night King invaded.

    But No, we just have to continue with the forced political drama because "It'S cAlLeD gAmE oF tHrOnEs".

  14. #26254
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Or how Cersei could have just ended it all right there during the parley.
    I think she wants them all to gather first, then throw wildfire on them all...


  15. #26255
    Quote Originally Posted by Void Fallen View Post
    It pisses me off how Euron was able to kill Rhaegal when the Night King and Viserion couldn't. It also pisses me off that the Night King isn't mentioned ONCE in this episode. You'd think Ice Satan would still be in everyone's thoughts. Finally, it greatly pisses me off how they made such a big deal out of the Night King and in the end he doesn't even get past Winterfell, the second northernmost castle in the continent. I wanted to see the South quiver in fear as the Night King invaded.

    But No, we just have to continue with the forced political drama because "It'S cAlLeD gAmE oF tHrOnEs".
    I have my own theory about that.

    Because when you think about it from a financial point of view, GRRM could not want the show to spoiler the ending of the books.

    Like, why the hell would a writer want to have his story spoiled by a TV show, when he still has to write two (right?) books to end it himself.

    I guess that somewhere after Jon died and was resurrected the next season, GRRM told D&D that they can simply fuck off and not spoiler his book's ending. He guided them roughly to where he wanted to go but ultimately kept his actual ending to himself.

    That's why I suspect to see two different endings in GoT and ASOIAF. Not majorly different, but ASOIAF is probably going to switch the two fights between NK and Cersei, or at least merge them to one epic ending.

    I mean, we literally shat on the Prince that was Promised in GOT.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    I think she wants them all to gather first, then throw wildfire on them all...

    Well what I do like is that I really do not know what's going to happen from now on. That suspense is quite what keeps me invested in GOT.
    I wasn't able to predict any of the things really that transpired so far in S8. Be it good or bad.

  16. #26256
    Quote Originally Posted by elaina View Post
    So the problem with this show is 100% the writers, right?

    The direction, production, and acting (overall) are superb. All of the stupid decisions, teleports, physics, impossible scenarios to maximize drama - all of that is a writing problem right?

    Other than the supposed cinematography baffle in s8e3 (which personally I never noticed during broadcast on my TV other than 'hey its dark!'), I think all of the problems with this show fall squarely on Benioff and Weiss. Without the backbone of GRRM writing, they are exposing themselves as hacks.
    Most people noticed that back in season 5 or 6, when they ran out of books, it was pretty clear. It didn't suddenly become bad this season, it's just more pronounced now because they are rushing it. But episodes like the one Arya runs around the city with her belly open, jumps into a dirty canal and then kill the waif or the suicide mission where we learn the NK is a professional javelin thrower, where he kills one of the dragons are just as bad to what we have now.

    What made GoT so good in the first place was good writing. Other stuff is obviously important, but without a good writing it's just another hollywood whatever crap.

  17. #26257
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    I mean if he is warging into rats in KL, he might as well use them to bite Cersei's throat as she sleeps. But nobody ever uses their superpowers correctly in any fiction, so GoT is unique there. Nobody has used wargs for scouting at any point in the show.

    Mance had at least a couple dozen of them, and yet Stannis walked up an army close enough to poke them with spears before they noticed. We haven't actually seen any since, but if any still exist then they never should have been surprised at Hardhome, they should have scouted both Ramsey and noticed the Knights of the Vale before the battle of the Bastards and so forth.

    But nobody has ever done any scouting in the entire show, because apparently they think it is cooler when giant armies pop out of nowhere. Which they do with perfect dramatic timing constantly, to the point that the Battle of Winterfell is literally the only battle in the entire show that one side didn't get ambushed by GAON (Giant Army Out of Nowhere)
    The wildling guy with the eagle who was jealous about Yrgitte/Jon Snow used his Eagle to scout so yea they have used warging for scouting.

    "I see dead crows"
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

  18. #26258
    Quote Originally Posted by Isilrien View Post
    Has anyone mentioned the four dragons on the astrolabe in the opening credits? I'm not sure what to think about that. Why four and not three?



    He didn't look worried (or surprised) to me, either. He looked like he was trying to make out what was going on and isn't quite sure of what he's really seeing. Maybe it will turn into worry, surprise, or alarm after the few moments we're shown.



    I thought at first that she hit him in the top of his stomach, but below where the dragonglass was. The writers insist that she hit him in the chest, so my attitude at this point is: ok, whatever.
    I mean I watched and she clearly didn't. It was to the outside of his left pec and the shard was inserted dead center in the one showing him being made. The Russos keep mouthing off about Endgame and it makes no sense as well so I'm hand waving away their nonsense because it doesn't fit. You can't just say I'm the director etc and this puzzle piece that is clearly a corner piece fits in the middle.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Wrong. She hit him in the chest.

    - - - Updated - - -



    I'm pretty sure it is Jaime and Cersei who are the Mad King's bastards. It has been hinted that he raped Tywin's wife on their wedding night, and seeing that Tyrion is the youngest of the three, it can't be him.
    Watch it again. People were saying it was the gut, but it was nowhere even remotely near where he they put the shard, which was 100% right at the sternum. She didn't stab him anywhere near the sternum.

  19. #26259
    Quote Originally Posted by Void Fallen View Post
    It pisses me off how Euron was able to kill Rhaegal when the Night King and Viserion couldn't. It also pisses me off that the Night King isn't mentioned ONCE in this episode. You'd think Ice Satan would still be in everyone's thoughts. Finally, it greatly pisses me off how they made such a big deal out of the Night King and in the end he doesn't even get past Winterfell, the second northernmost castle in the continent. I wanted to see the South quiver in fear as the Night King invaded.

    But No, we just have to continue with the forced political drama because "It'S cAlLeD gAmE oF tHrOnEs".
    Pretty bad if you ask me.

    I get the show is Game of Thrones and the center piece is who claims the Iron Throne but the White Walkers and the Night King were there as echoing reminders that while everyone is focused on the Iron Throne the true threat was the Night King. To fail at Winterfell the way he did with as much hype as he had is just poor writing.

    I get it the living had their ace in Bran and they knew what would happen but the Night King has been 1 step ahead of Bran at every single turn except for this one instance, the most important moment in the series. He has countered Bran at everything he has done but now all of a sudden when the story is reaching its climax the Night King became the most predictable character.

    For the Night King to not even make it to the Riverlands is a huge failure.

    The Night King and Viserion got demolished by Rhaegal but Euron and his arrows kill him. Never mind the ancient mystical being riding an undead dragon and their failure to beat Rhaegal and Jon... arrows did with aimbot like accuracy.

    If the leaks are true the show-runners definitely dropped the ball on this series and didn't do it justice in the end. Production can only carry a show so far and when writing is lacking the way it has the quality is seriously hit hard.

    Ever since the deviated from the books the writing has clearly suffered. It began to bother myself last season like truly bother me with the mission north of the Wall and Gendry running that far, that fast, and a raven getting to Dragonstone that quickly along with Dany saving them. It made no sense unless someone wants to say "Bran was watching the entire fight and he sent a letter to Dragonstone the very moment Jon and the rest were trapped"

    Before that when the Unsullied went to Casterly Rock and ended up being in a Iron Fleet blockade... the very next time we see them everyone is back at the Dragonpit with no mention of what happened at Casterly Rock.
    Last edited by Byuiso; 2019-05-07 at 08:16 PM.

  20. #26260
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    I think she wants them all to gather first, then throw wildfire on them all...
    I mean she had to have used a LOT on the Sept of Balor.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •