1. #26261
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham II View Post
    Honestly? As terrible as the writing has been this season, a lot of what people want to happen is just as bad.
    In the defense of fan theories(that I often make fun of) the fans are not professional writers who are paid millions.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

  2. #26262
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    "Gandalf moment" You mean something foreshadowed well and set up to be paid off? No, we will have a "where the fuck did they come from moment".
    Yeah well cercei got the magic Iron Fleet that can stealth and travel quite fast, so I would assume John & Dany got something like that hidden away :P

  3. #26263
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham II View Post
    Honestly? As terrible as the writing has been this season, a lot of what people want to happen is just as bad.
    And a lot of them are better than what we got.

  4. #26264
    High Overlord Graeham II's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    And a lot of them are better than what we got.
    Such as?

    Most I've seen are cliche and predictable with little regard for nuance or respect for the grey morality that made the setting in the first place.

  5. #26265
    Pandaren Monk
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham II View Post
    Such as?

    Most I've seen are cliche and predictable with little regard for nuance or respect for the grey morality that made the setting in the first place.
    There was a minor cut linked in this thread just the other day that changed the order of some scenes and it was already better than the show itself.

  6. #26266
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham II View Post
    Such as?

    Most I've seen are cliche and predictable with little regard for nuance or respect for the grey morality that made the setting in the first place.
    Tbh when the big 'reveal' happens in E5 i doubt alot of people would have seen it coming.
    Since most of it is based on outside intel (twitter/instagram/facebook) i wont post it (spoiler discussion doesn't equal leaked discussion imo) but there are to many signs for it not to be true at this point i guess.
    So if the writers come up with a twist the general viewer doesn't expect isn't that by definition a decent twist then?

  7. #26267
    Quote Originally Posted by Something Wicked View Post
    I think you grossly misunderstood what he said.

    What he said is that he's not changing HIS story to account for anything that happens in the show. The show is it's own thing as far as he's concerned; his story is HIS story. So whatever he had planned, none of that is changing just because of what they wrote for the show.



    And again you guys miss the point of the title. "A Song of Ice and Fire" basically means this is Jon Snow's story; it's a song/ballad/epic about the person who's both Ice (Stark) and Fire (Targaryean).

    Martin has clearly read up on how things worked back in the darker ages, including bards (real bards; not the gay ass minstrels you people get obsessed with courtesy of Dungeons & Dragons) and druids and how they used songs to tell their epic stories.

    All of that said, the producers of this show really dropped the ball. Admittedly they had to cut a a lot out of the story simply due to the constraints of a television series and limited episodes/time. (Just imagine how much worse it would be if it were a movie, even a trilogy.) But the stark contrast between it taking episodes to travel from Winterfell to King's Landing to suddenly going all around the world multiple times in a single episode was just an awful choice, especially since everything else seemed to happen at the same pace as normal (mostly the conversations and whatnot).

    Even understanding that, however, they just did an awful job of everything once they lost the books as a reference point. Sure, they may have had some notes from Martin, but they lacked all of his dialogue, style, and knowledge of the deeper secrets of the story that the viewers/readers appreciate about it. Losing that really hurt the show badly, and now it's ending similar to how Lost ended. And that's not a good thing. At all.
    TV shows will forever be remembered for how it ended, no matter how good it was up until the last season/last episodes. Same as with alot of video games.

    Look at the Mass Effect series. Alot of people(including me) praised the game during the first, second and about half of the third game. But when we came to the end and eventually completed the game, people were very upset(including me). Suddenly it went from a great game to alot of critique and left a bad taste in everyones mouth. The ending ruined everything that led to it.

    Good TV show writers know when to stop, even though they could keep on going. Good tv show writers also know that they cant rush to the end, it wont be good then.

    GoT is heading down this route. Unless something great happens in the last two episodes, the whole show will not be praised as it once did.

  8. #26268
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham II View Post
    Such as?

    Most I've seen are cliche and predictable with little regard for nuance or respect for the grey morality that made the setting in the first place.
    I’ve seen rewrites of the Battle of Winterfell where the White Walkers actually do something that are much better than what we got. I’ve seen re-edits of the whole Euron/Rhaegal scene that improve it so much due to actually making sense. If the leaks are even remotely true, I’m sure we’ll see better fan ideas about the ending too.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Sooba View Post
    There was a minor cut linked in this thread just the other day that changed the order of some scenes and it was already better than the show itself.
    I think I’m referencing what you’re talking about. Improved the scene immensely.

  9. #26269
    Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    TV shows will forever be remembered for how it ended, no matter how good it was up until the last season/last episodes. Same as with alot of video games.
    BS.

    Sopranos is still considered as one of the best shows ever, but even today its ending is still discussed for being completely open to interpretation.
    Same with The Wire, the final season is still considered as the weakest in the entire series but the show as a whole is still on every show viewers top10 list.
    An ending doesn't define a show.

  10. #26270
    Quote Originally Posted by Mascotte View Post
    Tbh when the big 'reveal' happens in E5 i doubt alot of people would have seen it coming.
    Since most of it is based on outside intel (twitter/instagram/facebook) i wont post it (spoiler discussion doesn't equal leaked discussion imo) but there are to many signs for it not to be true at this point i guess.
    So if the writers come up with a twist the general viewer doesn't expect isn't that by definition a decent twist then?
    Twists are indeed welcome, but its about how they are presented thats been the main issue in season 8. Theres been several big monents and cool stuff happening, but some of it just feel out of place or rushed just for the WOW effect.

  11. #26271
    Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    Twists are indeed welcome, but its about how they are presented thats been the main issue in season 8. Theres been several big monents and cool stuff happening, but some of it just feel out of place or rushed just for the WOW effect.
    Yeh like they skipped showing us the dialogue when John Snow told his siblings he isn't actually a Stark.. like.. why did they skip that huge moment? But they had time to show Brienne cry and beg Jamie not to leave. I hate how they made her character just a woman that should have gotten laid years ago and was bitter up to this point for that reason. /spit


    Anyway... how did Daenarys get the letter to save John snow and the crew in time when they were surrounded trying to catch a walker? Weren't they stranded for just that one night? Are you telling me The borathian bastard ran all the way back to the wall in a matter of like a couple hours (when it was said they were gone for weeks), got a bird to fly all the way over to her and then she had to prepare and actually fly up with her dragons... That all happened in a matter of like 8 hours???
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2019-05-09 at 10:30 PM.

  12. #26272
    Quote Originally Posted by Mascotte View Post
    BS.

    Sopranos is still considered as one of the best shows ever, but even today its ending is still discussed for being completely open to interpretation.
    Same with The Wire, the final season is still considered as the weakest in the entire series but the show as a whole is still on every show viewers top10 list.
    An ending doesn't define a show.
    Seen both, loved both. The Wire is my fav show, but season 5 was bland.

    The ending in Sopranos was fair enough cause it left things open right at the end. Right up until the end it was great. Season 8 of GoT has so far been a big mess.

  13. #26273
    Quote Originally Posted by Mascotte View Post
    BS.

    Sopranos is still considered as one of the best shows ever, but even today its ending is still discussed for being completely open to interpretation.
    Same with The Wire, the final season is still considered as the weakest in the entire series but the show as a whole is still on every show viewers top10 list.
    An ending doesn't define a show.
    Tell that to Lost.

  14. #26274
    Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    Twists are indeed welcome, but its about how they are presented thats been the main issue in season 8. Theres been several big monents and cool stuff happening, but some of it just feel out of place or rushed just for the WOW effect.
    I completely disagree.
    I'm actually glad we didn't lose half our cast in the Battle for Winterfell.
    Sure, the plotarmor was a little thick for some characters but if all died instead we would just be killing of chars for the sake of killing em.
    I liked that Thormund had his goodbye, same with Sam.
    The battle is won, they have no place in whatever happens next and they slowly just fade away.
    Doubt we'll see either have anymore screentime but as a viewer i don't mind, their arc is done.

  15. #26275
    Some think Drogon had 3 baby dragons, hatched them in season 3 when he/she went awol



    How many eggs can a dragon lay?


    https://gameofthrones.fandom.com/wiki/Dragons

    In the books
    Biology

    Dragons, like certain species of amphibians and fish, have no fixed biological sex; they can shift between male and female to meet the reproductive needs of the species. Despite this, they are usually referred to as male; only the ones confirmed to have laid eggs were referred to as female.
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2019-05-09 at 10:39 PM.

  16. #26276
    Quote Originally Posted by Mascotte View Post
    I completely disagree.
    I'm actually glad we didn't lose half our cast in the Battle for Winterfell.
    Sure, the plotarmor was a little thick for some characters but if all died instead we would just be killing of chars for the sake of killing em.
    I liked that Thormund had his goodbye, same with Sam.
    The battle is won, they have no place in whatever happens next and they slowly just fade away.
    Doubt we'll see either have anymore screentime but as a viewer i don't mind, their arc is done.
    Yeah, maybe you have a point. Maybe its just me but I feel this seasons falls a bit flat.

  17. #26277
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    Tell that to Lost.
    Lost went to shit way before it ended tho.
    And yes, your most obvious counter 'so did GoT" has some merit.

    Was the show better when it was just straight up copying the books? Yes.
    Does that make everything released after bad? No.

    It just means GRRM is a better writer then DnD but the later has actually been producing.
    The other threw a 5 year lead without releasing content and may not even finish his story, hard to compare endings if one party doesn't write theirs.

  18. #26278
    I've got my money on Sansa for the Iron Throne still; she's been the most likely candidate for a couple seasons at this point. It would bring the show full circle as well since she was intended to be the Queen from the very first episode. Hell, what if she marries Gendry Baratheon? Then the arranged wedding from King Robert actually takes place; you can't get any more legitimate than that.
    Matador (pseudonym) is a doctoral student focusing on cultural studies. Their primary research area is popular culture in digital spaces, particularly internet and gaming communities. MatadorMedia.org.

  19. #26279


    "Game of Thrones; Or The Pain Of Falling Out Of Love With A Story"


    Published on Sep 4, 2017

    Guy called it way back then.
    .

    "This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

    -- Capt. Copeland

  20. #26280
    Bloodsail Admiral Isilrien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    The North
    Posts
    1,150
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Some think Drogon had 3 baby dragons, hatched them in season 3 when he/she went awol



    How many eggs can a dragon lay?
    Finally SOMEONE notices the astrolabe. I was beginning to think I was crazy for seeing four dragons there and being ignored when I asked for people's thoughts.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •