The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    His Doctor was only diminished by having followed the Tenth. His introduction was a real goosebumps moment for me.
    I heard great things about his tenure as the Doctor.

I have never watched that series, and I would really like, but I don't even know how to enter the series, so to speak (it spans 50 years, right?). I know it's a little off topic, but do you know of a good spot to jump in at?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Easiest point is by getting HBO Max and starting with the ninth(it does that for you). There’s some fun stuff before then, but it’s kinda campy old school sci fi.
    Sold! Thank you. Just finished Travelers and have been looking for a series to pick up. And I've already got HBO Max.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Enjoy. The 9-10-11 arc has a lot of great content. With the show runner coming back the hope is we’re heading back to that level again soon enough.
    Wait... what's-his-face is coming back? Mr good at psychological horror and solid stories? Shit I forget his name but if it's who you're suggesting... unless I am thinking of one of the directors.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Chris Eccleston is criminally underrated as the 9th Doctor. It breaks my heart to always realize who he reincarnated as the 10th Doctor was because of unrequited love that could then be requited.

I kinda hate Rose for that. But she's still the best companion of the 9th/10th/11th run....although I have a soft spot for Martha.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    No way there won't be dragons. Like you said, it would be ridiculous to make the House of Dragon, of the family of Dragons, and not have Dragons. It would be over before it started.

The key will be making it true to the nature of the GoT series, but also adding fresh plots and ideas. 70+ episodes is a LOT of material and tropes to have thoroughly covered.

So assuming Dragons are heavily involved, how do they balance that?

- - - Updated - - -

Matt Smith is pretty good overall - at least what I've seen him in. I don't know about his time as a Doctor Who, but he was great in The Crown. If they don't Edward Stark him in the first season, he could be a powerful long-term character.
    Daemon is very important character

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Just saw the teaser on YouTube. He said dragons made them “kings”… yet there’s no dragons shown, not even a blurry one in the sky off in the distance. I sincerely hope that they’re not going cheaper with this show. If so, why tf would you make it about Targaryens.

Hopefully I’m worrying for nothing, since it is just the teaser. Still, thou…
    If the show is about the Dance of the Dragons, then it's highly unlikely you won't see dragons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    If the show is about the Dance of the Dragons, then it's highly unlikely you won't see dragons.

We wilm get the full trailer before the end of the year (estimated December). They will tease a dragon because they know it'll get people hooked.
    "If you are what you HAVE and you lose what you have, what then are you? But if you are what you ARE and you lose what you have, no man controls your destiny".

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, Russel T Davies is coming back.
    Ok, I looked it up.
    I was thinking of Steven Moffat.

But still! Very cool, glad to hear this! Doctor Who has become a joke, though I think 12 doesn't get the respect he deserves, what came after him was a damned shame and overly-zealous attempt to appease to a certain group. Yeesh. Made me appreciate Capaldi-Who that much more, though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Chris Eccleston is criminally underrated as the 9th Doctor. It breaks my heart to always realize who he reincarnated as the 10th Doctor was because of unrequited love that could then be requited.

I kinda hate Rose for that. But she's still the best companion of the 9th/10th/11th run....although I have a soft spot for Martha.
    Are Clara and Amelia really all that bad though?

And maybe I am taking your post the wrong way, I just feel like everyone talks about how Rose was the best and seem to not give these two any credit. I thought they were pretty awesome.

Rose's actress put on a wonderful performance though, in the 50th anniversary (if I am remembering right) the episode where 10, 11, and secret special 9, John Hunt, save the day and Rose is a weapon making itself known to the 9th as a person he knows.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

5+ Year Old Account
    evil santa reads a little from winds of winter

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Are Clara and Amelia really all that bad though?
    Amelia Pond was great as a companion. Clara on the other hand... I haven't watched the series in a while so I am not sure exactly why myself (and a good portion of the fanbase) didn't click with Clara. Also 11th's Doctor is where you get the most from River Song. But you will need to see her first appearance in 10th's run to get the full enjoyment out of her storyline.

I don't know if I could rank the companions from the new series. They all brought something unique to the show. From Rose, Martha, Captain Jack (for a bit), Donna, Amelia/Rory, Clara.

Martin had to first complete the entire series of books, and only then deal with its implementation on television. As a result, we have weak last seasons of TV shows, and the last two books will probably never come out.

5+ Year Old Account
    I'm afraid his notes will be handed over to some other writer to 'finish' the books..there's just too much monies to be earned..

If he by some miracle finishes Winds, the book will sell out in the stores faster than u can "dragons n boobs!"

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WButler89 View Post
    Martin had to first complete the entire series of books, and only then deal with its implementation on television. As a result, we have weak last seasons of TV shows, and the last two books will probably never come out.
    They won't - he's aging, has a million ideas for new stuff, is wildly popular, and zero motivation to finish them.

- - - Updated - - -

Ronald Emmerich hated GoT ending so much he confronted showrunners.

ROFL - given the fact he's a terrible writer and director, not shocking at all.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    They won't - he's aging, has a million ideas for new stuff, is wildly popular, and zero motivation to finish them.

- - - Updated - - -

Ronald Emmerich hated GoT ending so much he confronted showrunners.

ROFL - given the fact he's a terrible writer and director, not shocking at all.
    man, I skimmed that only to see it as clickbait - why didn't you warn us the "answer" the showrunner gave to Emmerich isn't included? LOL what scam-writing - the article actually covers nothing at all. GAH! (not griping at you the poster, griping at 'articles' that pull this shit).

So whatever the showrunner said or didn't say - only Emmerich knows.

And for the record, I enjoyed both ID4 (original Independence Day movie) and 2012 far more than the last season of GoT. So in that estimation Emmerich still better than D*D, for me. =D (ID4 is a "classic" type of love for me - I still remember the night it opened!)

(And anyone else have 22 forum pages that don't exist/bugged out on this thread? I mean one or two page is 'par for the course' around here but this thread stops actually on page 1428 , but the page numbers go to 1450...am I the only one? LOL Insane...)
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    ...(And anyone else have 22 forum pages that don't exist/bugged out on this thread? I mean one or two page is 'par for the course' around here but this thread stops actually on page 1428 , but the page numbers go to 1450...am I the only one? LOL Insane...)
    You're not the only one, although it was two pages, not 22 for me.
    Last edited by Isilrien; 2022-01-26 at 12:11 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    I think maybe need to make a part 2 thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    I think maybe need to make a part 2 thread?
    Nah, it’s just that when they detect duplicate accounts they often delete them, including their posts. The system doesn’t seem to immediately update the page count though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, of course I am still working on THE WINDS OF WINTER. I have stated that a hundred times in a hundred venues, having to restate it endlessly is just wearisome. I made a lot of progress on WINDS in 2020, and less in 2021… but “less” is not “none.”
    So he finished writing the back cover of the book. Good to see he actually did something.
    "If you are what you HAVE and you lose what you have, what then are you? But if you are what you ARE and you lose what you have, no man controls your destiny".

He's never going to finish the books. He probably had finished them, with Bran becoming King and Daenerys becoming Hitler, but after seeing how no one liked it, he's just rewriting everything.

Publicly he can try to look "cool" by saying that he won't let people influence him to change his ending, but in reality he's scared after the massive flop that was Season 8.

I wonder if Winds of Winter introduces a "Great Other" or "Other King" who also gets killed by Arya

The problem is that he didn't outline his story. He confessed to being a "gardener" (read: writes by the seat of his pants and hopes it comes out okay). He introduced character after character and subplot after subplot, and now there is so much bloat he can't possibly tie everything together in a satisfying manner. The difficult he had trying to move characters around for book 5 should be proof of that. Now he's rich and has no incentivize to actually finish. Why finish? He doesn't need more money. Finishing will only result in him facing criticism. He can just sit back and let other people make high budget fan fiction of his work and reap the money and get praise. Besides, it's been... what? Three decades since he released the first book? The guy probably doesn't care about the story and the characters anymore. He didn't have the self-discipline to release books on a timely schedule and now he's lost his mojo.