Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    I find it more...ironic? Amusing... I'm not sure the word..

Considering the actor said being on the show was "traumatic" and how he couldn't run away fast enough and needed hospitalization after shooting due to how grueling and awful everything was. I got the very clear impression when the show was over Mr. Kit was more than happy to be gone.

This is genuinely one of the last actors I ever expected to be returning to this IP! Because of how negative he was in interviews, on the whole experience. But apparently the new reality of 'not getting paid' was the more traumatic of the two experiences.
    Wouldn't be surprised if Harrington said yes to this mostly for the money. His career really failed to take off after GoT.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Maybe he's gotta keep Ygritte happy. I don't know that I've seen her working lately either.
    Rose Leslie comes from a long lineage of nobility and politicians, and grew up in Scottish castles. Pretty sure she's in the "doesn't have to work if she doesn't feel like it" crowd, but judging by her wiki page she's still pretty active.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    Rose Leslie comes from a long lineage of nobility and politicians, and grew up in Scottish castles. Pretty sure she's in the "doesn't have to work if she doesn't feel like it" crowd, but judging by her wiki page she's still pretty active.
    Didn't think she could get hotter. Scottish nobility?

10+ Year Old Account
    You know nothing, eschatological.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wait... Scots have nobility?
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Wouldn't be surprised if Harrington said yes to this mostly for the money. His career really failed to take off after GoT.
    Agreed - and I did want to clarify - I'm not saying Harrington is doing anything 'bad' or 'wrong' - he can make his bank anyway he wants.. I get it.

But it still surprises me its HIM with this IP BECAUSE of how much he was trashing his experience on the show and "all the gear" he had to wear due to the snow and checking himself into a hospital... etc.etc. I remember thinking back reading these interviews and seeing him complain, again and again, about it all, "Dude...you best be careful you may need this meal ticket again one day..." At the time more thinking about conventions and fans keeping some cash influx going for him (if nothing else) unless he ruined that by bitching too much.

To jump forward to now when that 'thought' is playing out to be true - and he does 'need' the IP again. I wouldn't imagine there IS any other reason, other than money, for him to return - given his previous statements of how awful the experience of the last few seasons (at least) were.

Unless he starts talking about a change of heart, or a change of perspective on the experience or something anyway - then I might believe its for some reason other than a paycheck. And again - 'just a paycheck' is a fine enough reason. Just makes me wonder about how hard he'll work (or not) to put his best-abilities as an actor forward for the roll if he sees it as "having to do it for a paycheck but I hate it..." I hope he can be professional (though that wasn't on display in those interviews where he was complaining lol) and be the 'consumate actor' even if he 'hates it. But I hope for him, anyway, he doesn't hate it.

I'll stop rambling. =D
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    To jump forward to now when that 'thought' is playing out to be true - and he does 'need' the IP again. I wouldn't imagine there IS any other reason, other than money, for him to return - given his previous statements of how awful the experience of the last few seasons (at least) were.
    I mean, making money is great and rejoining the IP could certainly be his best way of doing that, but I'm sure he doesn't NEED it.

Plenty of actors do just fine without becoming megastars. He made a great deal of money from GoT, has a (presumably) recurring role in the MCU, and has found screen work every year for the past 9 years (not including GoT).

I would also imagine it being a very different work environment to film a spin off series centered around his character than it was being part of the larger production of the original show.

I don't recall Kit Harrington talking about the heavy cloak prop coming across as "whining".

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    I mean, making money is great and rejoining the IP could certainly be his best way of doing that, but I'm sure he doesn't NEED it.

Plenty of actors do just fine without becoming megastars. He made a great deal of money from GoT, has a (presumably) recurring role in the MCU, and has found screen work every year for the past 9 years (not including GoT).

I would also imagine it being a very different work environment to film a spin off series centered around his character than it was being part of the larger production of the original show.
    I quoted this due to what I'm about to 'update' with is on this topic (not really disagreeing with the quoted statement)-

Read a brief article today (sorry it was on the phone this AM and I can't find it now to link it!) that had apparently asked Emilia Clarke about the new Jon Snow oriented spinoff and, per HER statement apparently, this was all brought about /because/ of Kit. That it was 'his baby' (my paraphrase, not her words), basically - the way I read it - implying/meaning that he was the one that had presented/pushed this idea for a spinoff and was pretty involved with what story was being told/production etc.

Outside of the whole "Why this story?" Question -- I'm at least glad to read that perhaps he wasn't as negative on the whole experience as it first seemed when the show was over. I realize it could be all BS and he 'just wants a pay check' but, as I said before, for his own mental health sake I hope there's more for him than that - and since it was on topic to this brief discussion - wanted to post the update to what I understood.

I mean the show can still be total trash and all - I just hope its true he's happier about coming back again than it seemed he ever would be, when he first left.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I don't recall Kit Harrington talking about the heavy cloak prop coming across as "whining".
    That's fine - you don't have to perceive it that way. *shrugs*

To me - that comment was just one of a handful he was making across media about how miserable he was in the last seasons (if not before then), how horrible the work was, and couldn't wait for it to be over - and then checking himself into a hospital for "exhaustion" after it was over. Perhaps if it had been the only "complaining" or "negative" comment he made, I wouldn't even have remembered it. But it wasn't.

And whether I thought his complaints were "justified" or "whining" or "just complaining" or whatever label you stick on it - I still would have picked him dead last out of a line-up of cast members willing to jump back into the IP. He was also the ONLY cast member expressing as much negativity about his involvement in the show and what he was asked to do for his job in the various interviews (outside of the cast members pissed off at the way their characters were treated/ended) so it also stood out to me due to that.

I mean WINTER (beyond a normal, seasonal, winter) is over as far as Westeros and beyond the Wall is concerned - and if he's "very much involved" in the production and making of this show, he can certainly decide he never has to wear the horrible winter gear again =D.

(p.s - I only put "exhaustion" in quotes, as I'm quoting the reason given at the time. I am in NO way meaning or trying to imply that I think its a 'joke reason' or 'isn't real' or anything minimizing any reason someone needs to be hospitalized for. Only quoting the diagnosis as given in the past.)
    Last edited by Koriani; 2022-06-23 at 06:09 PM.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

5+ Year Old Account
    House of the Dragon | Official Trailer | HBO Max

HBO Max
    Jul 20, 2022

All the dragons roar as one. The #HouseoftheDragon trailer has arrived. House of the Dragon premieres August 21 on HBO Max.

Decent trailer to be fair. Peaks the interest a little more

Very political and succession focused which is promising

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought the trailer looked pretty good. I could be wrong, but I got my fingers crossed, as a big fan of set design and costumes, I really like this

Season 8 of GoT has left me a bit jaded though.
    Last edited by Orby; 2022-07-22 at 12:39 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

As of right now, the review embargo is over for House of the Dragon. It just ended as I type.

So, we shotgunned the first 5 episodes. Pretty good show. High production value, of course. Some episodes were uneven.

My biggest gripe is the show does a lot of time advancement without much setup. Months, and years, go by from scene to scene.

A good amount of violence. Not too crazy though.

More suggestions of sex than the more lurid moments of GOT. There are a lot more younger actors in this show than before. So I imagine HOD toned down the sexuality with younger persons and children for obvious reasons.

Though the suggestion of sex and violence are present nonetheless.

This is a lot denser than GOT. Not sure casual fans will like it.

I'm gonna watch week to week because the screener was pre-viz. Also, some things are altered from the commercial review.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2022-08-21 at 05:07 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    The fat guy says people should stop asking him when winds of winter will be out, he won't bother with setting dates anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    The fat guy says people should stop asking him when winds of winter will be out, he won't bother with setting dates anymore.
    Yeah, because he realized from the show's horrendous reception that no one liked his ending, so now he has written himself into a corner and he has to change the entire ending. He'll never finish his work and Season 8 will be the legacy of Game of Thrones, unless the upcoming Jon Snow sequel can somehow retcon it by bringing back the Night King/White Walkers and Daenerys.

I wonder, did he genuinely believe people would have liked Bran as King? A character so boring, so lame, so uninspired, that he was literally absent for an entire season?

Is there no separate thread for the show?

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Yeah, because he realized from the show's horrendous reception that no one liked his ending, so now he has written himself into a corner and he has to change the entire ending. He'll never finish his work and Season 8 will be the legacy of Game of Thrones, unless the upcoming Jon Snow sequel can somehow retcon it by bringing back the Night King/White Walkers and Daenerys.

I wonder, did he genuinely believe people would have liked Bran as King? A character so boring, so lame, so uninspired, that he was literally absent for an entire season?
    Who else has a better story than bran the broken?

Yeah, because he realized from the show's horrendous reception that no one liked his ending, so now he has written himself into a corner and he has to change the entire ending.
    How is that possible when the Night King isn't even in the books?

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

The show had already diverged pretty heavily before the battle of the bastards so it’s really unlikely the books would have any where near the same ending unless he just said screw it and wrote off a ton of story lines that don’t line up won’t the show at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    I can only assume they are trolling or haven’t read the books because the idea that they would line up with the show is really out there.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    I don't know why this keeps being said when there is clearly a figure parallel to the Night King in the books:

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Great_Other

- The Night King from the show is the oldest, most powerful, best, most badass, leader of the White Walkers;

- The "Great Other" from the books is an "Other" who is so special that he is called "Great".
    At Castle Black, Melisandre refers to the Others as the "cold children" of the Great Other.[2]
    From the show, we know that the Night King literally created every single White Walkers. He was the first and he created the entire race, by kidnapping children and turning them into his minions. That's why they were all destroyed when the Night King died. Beric Dondarrion even stated that the Night King "turned them all".

In that earlier quote I gave you from the wikia, you can replace "Others" with "White Walkers" and "Great Other" with "Night King" and you literally get the situation from the show.

Melisandre believes her enemy has black eyes,[5] and she thinks that no man could survive looking upon the cold, frightening visage of the Great Other.[3]
    Beyond the Wall, the enemy grows stronger, and should he win the dawn will never come again.[3]
    The above quotes prove that this Great Other is not some astral entity that doesn't exist, he is present physically on Planetos and is gathering his forces Beyond the Wall, to prepare for the Great War. Like the Night King had been doing for seven seasons.

GRRM wanted Arya to kill the Great Other and end the Long Night. He watched the reactions to 8x03 and realized that everyone sane disliked the idea of the big bad dying to a ninja teen, so now he's in a writing corner and doesn't know what to do.

What's funny to me is that some GRRM fanboys claim that DnD ruined the White Walkers, that they are not supposed to be just a weapon created by humanity in the books. Well, Melisandre literally called them "children" of the Great Other... it's clear that the origins of the White Walkers are the same between the mediums and they were both going to be defeated in the same way (by taking out Night King/Great Other).
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2022-08-19 at 06:50 PM.