Viable for BWD Heroics?

Hey, my guild finally got 1/13 last night, downing Halfus. We went over the BWD and put a few attempts on Heroic Maloriak but we just weren't able to DPS the Vile Swills down quickly enough, since we have an extremely melee-oriented composition (they weren't doing too well with chasing around the adds and staying out of puddles, so their DPS was extremely low). My question is, any tips on getting Heroic Atramedes and Chimaeron given the following raid composition:

1 Paladin Tank
    1 Feral Druid Tank

1 Holy (or Disc) Priest
    1 Resto Shaman
    1 Pally (or Resto Druid) Healer

1 Frost DK (or Unholy)
    1 MM Hunter
    1 Arcane (or Fire) Mage
    1 Rogue
    1 Enhancement Shaman

We're pretty new to heroics and still in completely 359 gear (with a few blues scattered around). I wish I had a log to post, but our DPS ranges from 15k-23k (mage and myself, the hunter, pulling 20k+ consistently with the melee usually pulling lower numbers) on a fight such as Cho'gall. Think we have a shot at Chimaeron/Atramedes on heroic, or will we probably need more DPS to meet the enrage timer/burn the boss down quickly enough? If we probably won't make it with those numbers, any tips on maximizing melee DPS on either of these bosses?

I hate asking questions because the answer is usually "figure it out on your own," which is usually what I like to do, but I can get rid of my pride if it means going 3/13 for the week.

We have the ability to switch in another hunter and a warlock, if it really comes down to it.

Deleted
    Atramedes is just a plain joke. If you can do normal mode you can pretty much do heroic mode.

Chim and Maloriak are both easy aswell and you should not have that much problem downing any of them. With a melee heavy group chim is prolly better if you have good healers.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would say to go to Atramedes. There are plenty of videos online showing the proper way to not gain sound. Chim would be pretty easy if you have the Frost DK taunting the Breaks. Maloriak is the hardest of the 3, especially with a melee oriented squad.

Deleted
    you need 1 melee for the interrupts. if you think your damage is really too low on the swirls (i guess 15k AOE damage is weak, but 20k+ I would have imagined to be fine). Be comparison, we have pretty strong dps and usually that phase people are in the 22-26k range - with this dps we kill all the adds, usually with 3 of the abberations also and have at least 10 seconds on maloriak.

The problem we have is that we end up just waiting for 1/3 of the fight and keep maloriak at 30% and just pick off the adds 1 by 1 until we have a final green phase to push the transition.

You can probably take a few seconds into the next phase to finish off the adds but then it is too long. I'm not sure if another hunter will be needed, but if you have the option of a lock to go demo: they do stupid aoe with meta + hellfire, plus bring 10% spellpower to the mage, healers and any other caster you might have. Give that a go

10+ Year Old Account
    If i remember right you can use your hunter to kite slimes in black phase. Its smiliar like on worm boss. Put a offtank on smaller swarm adds and let the hunter tank the slime with distracting shot---it rly depends on your aoe. And i hope your ppl dont stand in black pudles.

But if you have a heavy melle group i suggest chimerion--casters miss A LOT on this fight.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

My guild took down Atramedes Heroic on 2-3 tries for a few days ago.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    "My guild took down Atramedes Heroic on 2-3 tries for a few days ago."

Thanks for offering absolutely NOTHING constructive to this post.
    OP, I must agree with the few above posters who were more concerned with helping than their own personal achievements.
    Go for H Atramedes first. If your guild/comp can handle it on regular, heroic is not much different. Yes, the damage is higher, but the coordination of gongs is what makes or breaks the fight, as well as avoidance of sound waves issuing periodically from the boss in ground phase. While a melee heavy group may have a tougher time dodging these (my guild has all melee stack on one side, so you always know which way the waves will spawn and can dodge appropriately), it would still be the most doable.
    After that, I'd say HChim, and save HMaloriak for last.

Also, for the record, we have downed HAtra and HChim (though Chim only once), and had our asses handed to us on HMaloriak, despite knowing the fight well. Go with the encounters where you can control the most elements of the battle. Maloriak is a chaotic bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    If i remember right you can use your hunter to kite slimes in black phase. Its smiliar like on worm boss. Put a offtank on smaller swarm adds and let the hunter tank the slime with distracting shot---it rly depends on your aoe. And i hope your ppl dont stand in black pudles.

But if you have a heavy melle group i suggest chimerion--casters miss A LOT on this fight.
    Thanks everyone!

Regarding the slimes, I felt that A LOT as the hunter. They really don't move fast at all--I feel like I could have kited all of them without even putting a trap down.

I think a large part of our problem regarding the slimes was that we were a little intimidated by the amount of health they had to the point that we tried to single-target DPS them down, when apparently we should have been AoE'ing them. Hopefully if we change that next week we'll get them down quicker--we usually ended up having 1 or 2 black swills up going up into the next phase (whichever it was), which was a bit of a pain.

We'll probably do H Atramedes first and then H Chimaeron. As long as everybody steps up their DPS, the minor addition of adds shouldn't be a problem at all.
    Last edited by HonneurVilified; 2011-05-11 at 05:43 PM.

Try using a shadow priest on slimes, our spriests pull 30k+ on this fight and do significant damage to the slimes.

If by the slimes you mean the Dark Swills the most common way of doing is to tank them and move in a circle towards the outside of the room so melee does not get owned by the puddles. You are not really "kiting" it as the tank is taking melee damage. What you do kite is the Aberrations when you have 6+ out as then the melee damage gets quite high.

Atramedes was recently nerfed in 4.1 and the only difference is that there are 2 adds per ground phase (with quite low hp TBH) and sound levels are quite unforgiving if you lack the ability to not gain sound, even that wouldn't be a huge deal if someone goofed once or twice if it wasn't for the fact that an extra gong is blown up during ground phase. He only has like 2 million more hp than he does on normal in 10 man so if you can dps him down with a few gongs left each week (which should be happening if no one is dying) then you can do this, its much more control oriented than dps or healing oriented, as neither are all that stressful. Chimaeron would probably be your next best bet, healers kinda have to relearn the fight but I think once they do and the tanks figure out the swapping its pretty much GG for that one as well. Then I'd go back to Maloriak or Magmaw, both are around the same difficulty now from my understanding, but I'm not quite there yet.

Just let your tank do his job, if Maloriak doesn't cast Release Aberrations before the first black phase, go out and reset him, it makes the Red and Blue phase healing much easier on the offtank if he only has to deal with 6 aberrations during these, and AOEing 3 aberrations + the 5 swills really isn't that hard when grouped up nicely.

You have a good group for Atramedes providing one of your tanks has a DPS spec. Tips:
    - Have a Rogue and/or Druid Sprint/Dash after clicking gong in air phase. You also have an Enh Shaman who could spec Instant Ghost Wolf to do it.
    - You only need one tank, and if your healers are good you can 2-heal it in 10-man quite compfortably.
    - Never ever stop moving during the air phase.
    - Put your best player on interrupting Searing Flames, even if it he complains about it hurting his DPS to do so.

It's not a tight enrage, and once you learn that you just can never be hit by anything it's quite simple.

Chimaeron is next easiest after that and you have a good group for that too. Tips:
    - Ideally you can have two tanks eating double attacks & alternating tanking each Feud, with the Frost DK eating the normal attacks during non-Feud and thus avoiding ever getting Break on your Feud tanks.
    - Chimaeron is mostly just about your healers getting into a groove and having a system for topping off the raid over 10k. We do it just by having one healer work from top to bottom on raid frames, and the other from bottom to top. That way they are never trying to top up the same person.
    - Have a plan for surviving the heavy AOE damage during Feud. Raid CDs (Tranq, PW: Barrier, etc) are good, plan a rotation for them in advance.

If you can accomplish those things Chim will die soon enough.

Heroic magmaw in its current state can be a well boss to start.
    Youve got a a frost dk that can take care of the parasites full time. With the rogue going combat, the mage going arcane and the rest of dps, you will have excellent burst on the adds on the head phase. The hunter will be pretty usefull for md'ing the skeletons to the tanks and your healers should handle the damage no problem. I can't really tell if the 10man version will be that easy, i do know for sure that 25man has become a joke and its easiest fight for us after H halfus every week.

Even if it might end slightly harder than chim/atramedes, it is worth to do it due the hes loot table
    hope it helps
    Tiandar --------- retired
    US Executus <Static> 13/13h , 7/7H, 6/8 H (25 man)
    staticraid.com