Thread: fire mage PVP

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by graagh View Post
    Arcane is bad in arena. Fire certainly is not. There are 2500+ 3's teams with fire mages....
    ya fire was probably gonna be my pve spec.but i guess if i hate pvping as frost i could always try it

ive never really seen a fire mage in arena though,when i did 2's all i saw were frost mages but i did see some really retarded comps though

Quote Originally Posted by Badmage View Post
    google firemageryguru

dude, is, a, beast
    Healingproof would like to have a word with you .

Quote Originally Posted by CrunkJuice5 View Post
    ya fire was probably gonna be my pve spec.but i guess if i hate pvping as frost i could always try it

ive never really seen a fire mage in arena though,when i did 2's all i saw were frost mages but i did see some really retarded comps though
    Frost being as strong as it is, most opt to go frost. Fire is quite strong too though. I've seen more than a few fire mages rolling around, my PR is around 1900 and I have lots I could do to improve yet (I just use focus/target macros, probably should have arena frame 1/2/3 macros etc). I haven't played a lot lately though and not much since the patch. We got some decent buffs in the patch so I think we're probably better than we were.

No GCD on combust is pretty big and the fact it appears the t2 hot streak now works regardless of your current crit makes it even better. Now if they'd just make living bomb explode for decent damage on dispel :-).

Arcane is bad in arena. Fire certainly is not. There are 2500+ 3's teams with fire mages....
    Um....having 20 fire mages in the top 1000 teams compared to the 300 or so frost mages doesn't really compare that well. Oh, and checked their offspecs?

Quote Originally Posted by Zues View Post
    Um....having 20 fire mages in the top 1000 teams compared to the 300 or so frost mages doesn't really compare that well. Oh, and checked their offspecs?
    So because frost (one of the best specs period ATM) is better than fire, that means fire is bad? Your logic is fail.

So because frost (one of the best specs period ATM) is better than fire, that means fire is bad? Your logic is fail.
    It's real badass to be a 1500 hero right ?

It's real badass to be a 1500 hero right ?
    What's with the cocky attitude? Keep it friendly.
    I don't care what the general statistics say about frost vs fire.
    I'm gonna play fire, because I think it's fun.

So instead of acting high and mighy, give me advice.

Deleted
    Well im just beginner at mage pvp. But things I learned so far:

Learn to shatter. Its amazing how much your damage goes up when youre very agressive with your talented CoC and frost nova, (I guess ring of frost works too)

It goes like this: you see someone, living bomb up, few scorches if u have time, they (or you) get close, you CoC them and scorch->fireblast simultanuesly. That should pretty much guarrantue you a hot streak proc (you should strive to have around 28% crit). Freeze them again with frost nova and crit them with your instapyro. Now they received quite massive damage, and they have: living bomb, big critpyro dot, big ignite dot on them. Which is great moment to hit your combustion keybind. Follow it with dragons breath, or blanket silence from improved counterpell and you got yourself one troubled opponent, that either burns his big defensive cooldown or dies.
    Of course if ur lucky and get pyro proc before u freeze them with CoC then there is no need to fish for it

Now its not like a pro arena 2200+ advice but its a good start and will make a difference in random bgs.
    Makes for quite exciting gameplay, as you need to stay close to your enemy, instead of strafe-running away with scorch spam (doesnt really work)

Another fun thing to do with a mage (including fire) is to go to your base rooftop when WSG starts. Usually in about half a minute flag room will be crawling with enemies, just as soon as you see one, set up RoF. Most of them will ignore "funny fog" and get frozen. Shatterpyro, combust and profit If theres enough suckers down there u might want to blast wave (talented for extra hits) which can give u fireblast proc. Very useful if u have tightly packed enemies and big combustion rolling

Shatterpyro mage remids me a lot of martial assassin from Diablo2. Both deal AoE elemental damage, but need to stay close for best results, setting up combos for massive damage, while avoiding death trough quickness and control. Needless to say assassin was my favourite class in D2
    Last edited by mmoc5a9b40b500; 2011-05-16 at 11:24 AM.

@Llaendryn

Wow! Thanks for the awesome tips. I really appreciate it.
    As I am a casual player, I'm still only lvl 82, but going asap to 85 and trying that stuff out.

Gonna fix myself a starter pvp set and see where it goes.

Thanks again.

Any tips on stat weights? Crit above all?

Edit: I'm watching the new Emdee movie. Exactly why I would like to play a fire mage
    Last edited by Flexxtar; 2011-05-16 at 01:38 PM.

Deleted
    Youre welcome, its nice to be useful

82 is perfect to start having fun as shatterpyro mage, Just enough to get 31 talents in fire, and then 7 in frost for shatter and Imp. CoC. Youll miss out on Imp. counterspell for 2 levels but its bearable. 82 is also good because due to way your gear scales in cata its much easier to get good crit% when you are 80 than at 84.

Stats:

Gearing:

Hit cap > Spell Pen > Crit (to 28%) > Int > Crit > Mastery > Haste

Hit cap is 4% for everyone, no matter what race or class. All the % spell miss racials got converted to static resist that don't stack with anything so they're meaningless.
    Have fun asplodin!
    Last edited by mmoc5a9b40b500; 2011-05-16 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flexxtar View Post
    What's with the cocky attitude? Keep it friendly.
    I don't care what the general statistics say about frost vs fire.
    I'm gonna play fire, because I think it's fun.

So instead of acting high and mighy, give me advice.
    The part where I told you to roll frost? That was advice.

The part where I told you to roll frost? That was advice.
    Thanks but, I'm not just about winning. For me it's the gameplay I personally choose. If I win, I like to win in style, and not with the FOTM spec (which is really annoying to fight against btw).

But it was the tone you spoke to graagh about ratings and stuff. I like people who are good, but are humble about it, as opposed people who are mediocre, brag and condensending to others.

@Llaendryn:

I just respecced to include improved coc and gonna level again tomorrow. My tailoring and enchanting was a bit behind

Edit: it was graagh, not crunkjuice
    Last edited by Flexxtar; 2011-05-16 at 07:11 PM.

Frost isn't really the fotm spec, it's been the solid pvp spec for mages for a few seasons now, I'm not talking about herp durp 1200 rating arena.

I say try fire if you want, but it just isn't competitive at higher ratings. Any class with an interrupt will be your bane.

Fire isnt a spec i would just jump into arena with. Low gear u will get smoked no matter who u face. Go frost till ur 2500 or more resil then u can do fire. You could always practice fire in bgs since it takes awhile to get used to

Exactly my point: I don't care about ratings. I care about having fun in a spec of my choice.

Fully realizing that I will get my ass handed to me many times over, I will still go fire.

I will gear slowly but surely, all the while learning all the tricks in the book.
    I will have many failures and many nerdrage moments, but I will do so in my chosen fire spec.

Then again, I may suck balls all the way, or pwn everyone.

If I'd care for ratings, I'd go warrior.

Edit: just one question about rating. Does the weekly cap increase with higher rating? Just curious.
    Last edited by Flexxtar; 2011-05-16 at 10:03 PM.

Yeah, once you get past 1550 it increases pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Flexxtar View Post
    Exactly my point: I don't care about ratings. I care about having fun in a spec of my choice.

Fully realizing that I will get my ass handed to me many times over, I will still go fire.

I will gear slowly but surely, all the while learning all the tricks in the book.
    I will have many failures and many nerdrage moments, but I will do so in my chosen fire spec.

Then again, I may suck balls all the way, or pwn everyone.

If I'd care for ratings, I'd go warrior.

Edit: just one question about rating. Does the weekly cap increase with higher rating? Just curious.
    Don't let the mediocre Shaman with ~800 ratings in Arena dissuade you from enjoying Fire.

Fire is incredibly good, the reason there aren't more high end fire Mages isn't entirely because Frost just stomps all over it, it is better to a degree but it's also because playing Frost is -so- much easier. If you put in the time as Fire you can do extremely well, maybe as well as you could do with Frost.

I know you said you didn't care about ratings, but I'm just going to throw this out there. Running three's on my server at around 2,350~ at the time we encountered a Frost Mage, Fire Mage, Resto Druid team, they were AWFUL. We stomped them every time, why does that matter? Because the Fire and Frost Mage made a 2's team together and got to around 2,600~ rating before taking a single loss. Mediocre players.

As for races, I'd go with Goblin for Horde. Alliance I'd go Human or Night Elf, they both have very good racials (If you time Shadowmeld correctly you entirely negate damage or CC even from mid air casts and you can sometimes chain it into Invis for luls)

The weekly cap for Conquest points is exponential, meaning the amount of extra points you gain from say getting a team from 1,650 to 1,750 is more than you gain from getting a team from 1,550 to 1,650.

Bottom line is the shaman has no idea what he's talking about. Ignore him and enjoy fire - it's definitely a different and enjoyable style of play that can be effective at all skill levels (maybe not as effective as some, but like I said, most of the best mages don't play fire because frost is a ridiculously good spec ATM).

Thanks for painting a more positive picture for me guys.

About the rating and conquest points, I wasn't aware that the weekly cap would get higher with higher ratings. The rich get richer

Gotta level my mage quickly!

Deleted
    Well, my alt is an undead mage ... and it's Fire PvE and PvP. I know arcane is more DPS in PvE but I enjoy Fire more tbh ... the ... spells ... just ... look ... TOO ... AWESOME ... to have ^^.

Back at lvl 80 I watched this video: http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=161579
    and this guy is just pro ... I didn't pay attention to the editting he made for his video as much as I was amazed by his skills. What saddens me that he stopped playing ... I guess for the time being let's face it he'll be back ^^.

and now after this guy: http://www.warcraftmovies.com/moviev...7633&stream=69
    shows up like that doing a nice storyline but still pwning players I stand my ground on the Fire spec.

I am not so sure if the links would work but just search for Healíngproof Fire PvP 2 for the first one on www.warcraftmovies.com and the 2nd one ... well, let's just say on the first week the guy had a rating of 5 out of 5 ^^ so you will notice him on the front page. Bebep is his name ^^.
    When I got to 85 on my mage I stayed frost for a while until I get the gear and when I did I respecced to Fire. It's up to you and how well do you know your class and what to do YOU will know what's best for your character ^^.