Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Stop suggesting 3 healers.

They need to step up their play and avoid all the corruption and be much faster on interrupts.

15+ Year Old Account
    I saw you mention that you couldn't help tank healing while the boss was aoeing or people would die.
    This should never be the case unless people are eating crashes/blazes like candy. if people were at full
    health before the aoe starts it won't kill anyone, even with a few stacks. You have plenty of time to heal
    it up.

Quote Originally Posted by powersoul View Post
    Hey,

I'm trying to pinpoint why we are failing Chogal so if anyone who has 2 healed it could shed some light that would be great.

- we used a holy priest / holy pala, both geared for the fight.
    - our DPS were ranging from 9k - 13k
    - during the 'stack phase' we had no problems at all, with me / mage breaking worships instantly.

- we would wipe every time during one of the add phases, worships would take a while and chogal was on 4 stacks every time.

Now the tank we had on him was a bear only just switched to tank from dps with something like 30% dodge and 145k hp buffed.

- the paladin could not keep the bear up alone
    - when he was aoeing I could not give much assistance or the raid would die

at this point 3 people were on 30 + corruption, a couple of attempts 50

Now I think the problem is the worships were too slow, and our tank is not geared enough but my guild think it was the healing

So any ideas?
    IF your pally cannot keep up your bear than either your bear is undergeared, your pally is undergeared(or bad) or a combination of the two.
    9-13k is unacceptable. Replace your dps.

Herald of the Titans Drunkenfinn's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Replace your DPS.

I remember pushing 15.5k DPS on that fight (10man) in half blues and blue weapons as a Fury Warrior... This was the 3rd-4th week of Cataclysm, though.

Everyone should be at least above 12k, most people 13-15k tbh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't listen to people with cleaves and aoe about their dps in this fight even if they were in greens.

I have to agree though, that 11-12k is a solid must. Learn to avoid everything - you shouldn't get any corruption at all before last phase. If you do, there is no way to 2 man heal it. Your paladin should be perfectly capable of healing the tank and the melees around the boss. Priest is closer to the adds. We've also 2 man healed it and I can tell you what was the only thing that got us from time to time.

We avoided everything and interrupted worships quickly. But from time to time some well places shadowcrashes and fires forced our paladin to move further away from the boss. He then got Mind Controlled and the worshiping was really hard to break. Bundle that with some extra dps from the boss and you have a dead main tank. It does requrie a bit of luck with 2 healers, but it is doable if your dps is solid, they pull their weight and move from stuff!

So, the only thing I can recommend so far is: Get a 3rd healer. It seems your raiders are not yet good enough to meet the standarts of 2-healing this fight.

Stood in the Fire PromiscuousPenguin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by powersoul View Post
    Hey,

I'm trying to pinpoint why we are failing Chogal so if anyone who has 2 healed it could shed some light that would be great.

- we used a holy priest / holy pala, both geared for the fight.
    - our DPS were ranging from 9k - 13k
    - during the 'stack phase' we had no problems at all, with me / mage breaking worships instantly.

- we would wipe every time during one of the add phases, worships would take a while and chogal was on 4 stacks every time.

Now the tank we had on him was a bear only just switched to tank from dps with something like 30% dodge and 145k hp buffed.

- the paladin could not keep the bear up alone
    - when he was aoeing I could not give much assistance or the raid would die

at this point 3 people were on 30 + corruption, a couple of attempts 50

Now I think the problem is the worships were too slow, and our tank is not geared enough but my guild think it was the healing

So any ideas?
    The benefits of running two healers on Chogal would be negated by the low dps you seem to have in your raid. If you add low dps to what from what you say not great handling of the worships and corruption it seems to be a wipe recipe. Whichever of your dps who are doing 9,10,11 or 12k need to up their game as even 346 gear should be enough to produce more than that and also as far as the fight mechanics are concerned.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ishootblanks View Post
    you definitely need a 3rd healer.. Cho'gall is a survival fight not a dps race
    Not a DPS fight? Yea.. let's all do low dps and get a 4th/5th add up.. and it'll become pretty much impossible to kill them. Not to mention p2 is a huge dps race aswell if you're low geared/low DPS.

Deleted
    One of the healers should definitely stay on the boss tank .. especially when the boss consumed the fire add for big inc dmg..
    and if you had a great off tank.. you shouldn't even worry 2 much about healing him.. i had to heal our tank who tanked the add only once at the end.. was also enough to just throw my hots on him (resto drood) and he was fine.. have to avoid stuff.. and interrupt the add.. so no one gets corruption. and obviously if you have below 10k dps.. that's a problem..who ever has that kind of dps.. should really look into his gear and talents..
    And actually.. if you get to cho gal.. and you have max 13k dps... that's not good.. farm more before progressing id say..

10+ Year Old Account
    We recently downed this 2 healing it for the first time in our current group, we used a shaman and druid, with Pally/DK tank. DK on boss during add.

The thing we found was basicly if anyone got to high corruption (to high being like 30 btw) or if the boss ever got 4 stacks, let alone twice. ideally 3 stacks should be a rarity, then we couldn't do it because the healers would use way to much mana to compensate for other peoples failing. One of our healers isn't that geared, the others decently geared. (they both just switched mains, the druid healing it only hit 85 3-4 weeks ago)

On the attempt we got it down, the boss never got 4 stacks, he had 3 stacks a few times, and going into final phase the highest corruption was 20, which was only 1 person. then we had 6 or so on 10 and everyone else on 0

What we did to help interrupts during add
    S Priest - our priest is holy MS and doesn't know how to shadow, so unlike most groups we had our priest on the boss full time. she'd Fear bomb on MC, unless it was on a healer. (because sometimes they'd run to far before she could get of a dispell) then dispell it if possible
    Enhance shaman - He helped us kill the big add, so went up the back with us. we killed all 3 big adds around the center of the stairs, this seemed much better for us anyway than any other way we've done it, as it didn't range/los people and had them all coming from a nice area. he would save his windshear for MCs on the ranged down the back
    Pally tank - Me, I was using my Avengers shield every MC during add phase to get ranged out, if your ranged get MCd during the blood, you have a problem.
    Resto Sham - Was healing me at the back, used windshear.
    Rogue - Kicked S priest/Druid if they were MCd. only 4 people remained at the boss during add phase, R druid, s priest, rogue and our DK tank.
    Dk tank - His interrupt on anyone MCd. much simpler at the boss.

when there were no adds out, our warlock would do his aoe stun every MC (a firemage can do this as well)
    EDIT: Other strategies during strat phase could be rotating Arcane torrent/tauren stomp if you have enough BEs and taurens lol, Boomkin typhoon though I'm not sure of the CD on it, S priest fear bomb, though you need both healers to have dispell magic for this, our druid wasn't specd into it, and there are probobly some others. though the destro lock/fire mage one is easiest if you have them.

Alternatively before we started using those, I used my AS every CD though it wasn't as good since I have to target someone to use it, not just use it, it can jump to the boss and so wouldn't hit everyone, and is part of my rotation.
    Last edited by Anakso; 2011-05-13 at 06:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yourcatdead View Post
    Why recommend him to get 3 healers, if his highest dps is 13k? They will hit the enrage timer doing that. Replace your dps, or get them better geared. Have no corruption going into P2, make sure your tanks still swap in P2, and make sure everybody is on the tentacles. It is two healable, but the healers need to be good. My group consist of:

Paladin Tank
    Druid Tank
    Resto Druid
    Holy Paladin

Melee DPS:
    Warrior
    Paladin

Ranged:
    Mage
    Boomkin
    Hunter x2

So it is entirely possible. Also sounds like your paladin healer isn't ready for Cho'gall. 145k is fine if you have avoidance and whatnot.
    Its actually very nice to have a destro warlock that can interrupt every Worship.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sillistrar View Post
    Also, I love your short-temper. Did you know that people like you are the most fun to mess with? Not that I'm doing it. Yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazoric View Post
    Interception...
    Is that a like a charge within a charge? :P

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't need a 3rd healer. You need raiders that can a: Avoid Corrupting Crashes. b: Interrupt Depravity casts on the big add. c: Interrupt Worships before stacks are applied.

ALL damage on teh raid is avoidable barring Shodow Aoe and P2 damage.

Also tanks should use a cooldown on flame orders.
    Last edited by Koilie; 2011-05-13 at 06:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Executz View Post
    The benefits of running two healers on Chogal would be negated by the low dps you seem to have in your raid. If you add low dps to what from what you say not great handling of the worships and corruption it seems to be a wipe recipe. Whichever of your dps who are doing 9,10,11 or 12k need to up their game as even 346 gear should be enough to produce more than that and also as far as the fight mechanics are concerned.
    depends on class and what they're doing, and the purpose of running two healers is to up your raid DPS, so it's not negated by their group having low dps, if they ran 3 healers It may get harder, as they may not have enough dps.

@OP have you tried 3 healing it? many groups do, if you can't do 2 heals yet, it's worth a try. though we tried 3 healers for one attempt last night...and our tank died >.< go figure...

Deleted
    -Your DPS need to be doing about 13K each on average to make the kill possible. Your DPS is too low.
    -There is no reason for anyone to have any corruption. It's all completely avoidable - you wont heal through it if your raid is slacking/failing at avoiding the avoidable.
    -Interrupt the worships a lot faster. The whole raid needs to chip in on interrupts. You need to drill the message into your raid, interrupting comes second only to avoiding corruption.

If the raid avoids all the corruption, deals with the adds properly etc, you two will need to sustain around 9K HPS each in phase 1 - with enough mana left in the tank to burst more healing in Phase 2.
    Even if you want to go for the kill with 2 healers, you can always spend time learning the fight with 3.

All the groups in my guild kill it and first time killed it with 3 heals, I am not saying 2 healing it is not possible or that it is somehow worse. Did you 2 heal any of the previous bosses?

Your DPS does seem a little low, but this can be fixed, infact there is a few spec changes you could get your people to make to just force the progression on this boss, once you get good at it they will be able to change back. What is the rest of your raid makeup?

2 huge points, interrupt the big add every time, don't just rely on your tank to do it, he is trying to rip that add to the back of the room and so he will be sometimes out of range (unless he is real good).

second point, line the adds up from the back of the door down to the front of the stairs it is more important that they are lined up than just getting them as far back as possible, this will ensure all adds get slowed. Even once lose add can cause the ranged dps to split up, causing the rest of the adds to not die quickly and mind control will become to hard to stop.

Come talk to me on Jubei'thos if you want some more help. it is an oceanic realm so click the little oceanic tab. Whisper Agonous. I am normally online.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your tank needs alot more HP, and with a DPS range from 9-13k you're not going to make it past the final phase.
    Do more runs to gear your members up and make sure they move from fire/shadows.

Proud human beings typically shun suffering as weakness, but God said, I will meet you at the crossroads of suffering.†

10+ Year Old Account
    We did it with 2 healers, with the setup:
    1 Holy Priest
    1 Resto Druid

Warr tank
    DK tank

1 Hunter
    1 Boomkin
    1 Ele Shammy
    1 Warlock
    2 Rogues
    Making your GIF Avatar to 20kb is hard. Especially when the original is 504kb

10+ Year Old Account
    9k dps? Replace them, really.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Macro that helped my group a lot when we were on cho'gal:

/targetenemyplayer
    /cast stun or intterupt
    /targetlasttarget

Simplifies worships.
    I love you. We were failing at interrupting within the first tick (yes, lame).

9k is too low. We tried it once when our "A-Team" was out with 3 PuGers and they all did 9k and it was sheer hell.

Beyond that, you need to interrupt every-single-worship. Tell your DPS to stop WHATEVER they're doing it and interrupt it.

You cannot get hit by a SINGLE corruption. NOT ONE.

Do this, and healing becomes much, much easier.

We 3 healed this the first time we downed him. We had 4 waves of blood slimes and a 5th big add before we pushed him to p2. The key, nobody was above 10 corruption going into p2 and interrupts were done immediately. It'd be nice if your DPS was better but really it sounds like execution is hurting more than anything else. If you can't handle the interrupts in p1 then the tentacles are going to own you in p2 anyways. Need people to turn off their recounts and start paying attention to what is happening around them imo.