Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

RUMOR: Volta GeForce GTX 2080’ and ‘GeForce GTX 2070’ Launching In April

It has begun folks. The leak season for NVIDIA’s upcoming Ampere architecture is officially open for business. Fresh from 3DCenter, a rumor which states that the next generation lineup for NVIDIA will be based not on Volta, but on the Ampere micro-architecture. Not only that, but if the rumor is to be believed then GP102 has already been transitioned to EOL (End of Life) and will be replaced with the GA series soon.
    NVIDIA’s Ampere micro-architecture will succeed Pascal, GA104 GPU allegedly launching on April 12, GP102 production has halted

Let me begin by saying that this news is a nothing but a rumor at this point – its not even a leak. There is a very good reason this is tagged as ‘rumor’ and not a leak or an exclusive so if unverified rumors aren’t your cup of tea, now would be the time to get off. For those that are still here, lets start with the GP102 chip. The GP102 Pascal chip is the flagship product for the commercial segment and according to the report it has already been shifted to EOL status which basically means that production on the GPUs have stopped and no more will be made. According to the report, GP102 entered EOL status sometime in the beginning of November last month.

If true, this would have interesting implications on the market dynamics. The GP102 powers the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti graphics card – the flagship product – and if its core has indeed entered EOL then its unlikely stock is going to last for long given the current market demand. In fact, its entirely possible that the GeForce 1080 Ti will go permanently out of stock in a few months assuming there’s any truth to this report.

This is where the GA104 comes in. According to Beyond3D, the company has been preparing the Ampere architecture mainstream champion as the perfect replacement for high end Pascal and will be unveiling it in March. Production for the Ampere based GA104 will start sometime this month according to this report and we should see initial market availability by April. This timeline is something that does fit to the clockwork that NVIDIA usually follows. In second quarter of 2018 would mark exactly 2 years since the GP104 was unveiled back in 2016. To keep its two-year cycle alive, the company has to upgrade to the next iteration during H1 2018.

As far as nomenclature goes, there is no confirmation but if NVIDIA chooses to stick to its roots, then the new graphics cards will be called the GeForce GTX 2080 and GeForce GTX 2070. GDC and GTC are both being held in March and remain one of the likely candidates where the unveiling/launch of the NVIDIA Ampere based GeForce GTX 2080 and 2070 might happen. We should naturally see other chips being created on the platform such as the GA106, which will be for the mid range segment, GA107 / GA108 for the budget segment and of course the GA102 for the high end enthusiast segment which will be part of the GeForce GTX 2080 Ti (or whatever NVIDIA ends up calling them).

Of course the next question on everyone’s mind is wheres Volta? Well, there are a couple of possible answers to that question. Its possible that Volta was made primarily for the HPC side of things and Ampere is the commercial side of things. That would make Ampere a highly gaming focused micro-architecture and probably incredibly optimized for gaming loads. Its also possible that Ampere is simply a Pascal refresh with better binning and an optimized architecture. That said, as far as nomenclature goes, Pascal to Ampere doesn’t seem to have any link while as Volta and Ampere do, so I am more likely to believe (caution: opinion) that Volta and Ampere are basically two sides of the same platform with the latter being the gaming optimized micro-architecture.

In any case, the Ampere based NVIDIA GeForce GTX 2070 and GTX 2080 graphics cards should certainly help revive some demand in the industry and will almost certainly run into severe shortage issues as miners pick up the initial batches. With most foundries now working at almost peak capacity to serve miners its interesting to see how the next sage of the gaming technology cycle pans out and how companies deal with the rights of the gamers that are being trodden upon by cyrptocurrency miners.
    https://wccftech.com/nvidia-ampere-g...unching-april/

It is WCCF after all so take it with a grain of salt. Besides, it's likely a paper launch anyway. I don't expect we'll see high-end volta's for another 1-2 years still.

7+ Year Old Account
    1-2 years? No way. When the GTX 1080 came out, it was announced mid march I believe and released the very beginning of April. I think we will see it soon, and it's a good thing, I need two of em!
    Network Administrator with a desire to be creative. MCSE Server 2016, A+, Network+ certified and an avid gamer.
    Aorus Xtreme RTX 2080 Ti | i9 9900X@ 4.6ghz custom loop | Level 120 Void Elf Protection Warrior.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerroth View Post
    1-2 years? No way. When the GTX 1080 came out, it was announced mid march I believe and released the very beginning of April. I think we will see it soon, and it's a good thing, I need two of em!
    I should have said enthusiast. High-end was the wrong choice for wording.

Ti variants won't be out until a year after the 2080's launch.

You got the thread title wrong, if the rumors are correct the next gaming generation is "Ampere", not "Volta".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    You got the thread title wrong, if the rumors are correct the next gaming generation is "Ampere", not "Volta".
    Pointing out my mistakes is meaningless. You're obviously well aware of what I meant.

Pointing our your mistake allows you to fix it, not everyone might know for sure.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerroth View Post
    No, you don't.

Also, I've found WCCF has been a decent source of rumors over the years, several of which have turned out true.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    No, you don't.

Also, I've found WCCF has been a decent source of rumors over the years, several of which have turned out true.
    While it might be true they also state that production of pascal chips stopped in november 2017 and 2 hours orso later they post an article that nvidia is ramping up production of GPU's to remedy the current shortage due to mining sales so one of those statements is presumably wrong.

I do think though that ampere or whatever the name will be will launch around the timeframe they said as there is enough precedents to make that credible. As to when you might get the cards, that's something else, when the 1080 launched in april I think it was, I managed to get my hands on one mid august and that was b4 the mining craze, so I hope they make a ton more cards now or we won't likely see one for ages or at stupid prices.

They need to tweak these new cards that makes them impossible for mining.

Make different video cards that are non-gaming intended that are able to be used for mining.

Nvidia says they want their cards going to gamers and not miners -- let's see if they own up to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosteye View Post
    They need to tweak these new cards that makes them impossible for mining.

Make different video cards that are non-gaming intended that are able to be used for mining.

Nvidia says they want their cards going to gamers and not miners -- let's see if they own up to that.
    That would not change a thing, mining is too volatile for them to invest much in and now if the bubble burst you can stil sell the cards to gamers, in that case you would be stuck with them indefinitely.

plus then can have only so much chips made in a certain amount of time, there would simply be less gamer cards made as some capacity would go to the mining chips

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    That would not change a thing, mining is too volatile for them to invest much in and now if the bubble burst you can stil sell the cards to gamers, in that case you would be stuck with them indefinitely.

plus then can have only so much chips made in a certain amount of time, there would simply be less gamer cards made as some capacity would go to the mining chips
    Well, then they are full of shit when they say the want gamers to get their cards first.

If they actually cared about gamers they would make their gaming cards incapable of mining.

I'll stick with my 960 until prices go down. Not about to drop $700 for a 1070. If the new cards can't price near MSRP, I won't be buying them either.

i dislike the naming scheme, 1170 and 1180 sounds way better than 2070 and 2080

Well, then they are full of shit when they say the want gamers to get their cards first.

If they actually cared about gamers they would make their gaming cards incapable of mining.

I'll stick with my 960 until prices go down. Not about to drop $700 for a 1070. If the new cards can't price near MSRP, I won't be buying them either.
    They care about sales. They don't care if all of their cards go to BitCoin farms, a sale is a sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    They care about sales. They don't care if all of their cards go to BitCoin farms, a sale is a sale.
    That's fine, I'll just keep using this GTX 960 which will be fine for years to come, even if I might have to tweak down some Gfx Settings.

They can go ahead and continue to tarnish their image with the gaming community though. That's fine.

As far as retailers go, they're just as evil. MicroCenter appears to be the only one that's actually setting proper purchase limits (and lower prices), so kudos to them. $549 for a 1070 is still a bit much though, but I heard they'll come down if you're buying the rest of your components with them.
    Last edited by Frosteye; 2018-02-09 at 09:16 PM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    While it might be true they also state that production of pascal chips stopped in november 2017 and 2 hours orso later they post an article that nvidia is ramping up production of GPU's to remedy the current shortage due to mining sales so one of those statements is presumably wrong.

I do think though that ampere or whatever the name will be will launch around the timeframe they said as there is enough precedents to make that credible. As to when you might get the cards, that's something else, when the 1080 launched in april I think it was, I managed to get my hands on one mid august and that was b4 the mining craze, so I hope they make a ton more cards now or we won't likely see one for ages or at stupid prices.
    I was able to get a 1080 Ti a couple days after its launch date. :P
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Nah I am pretty sure they care about their core business. Mining probably won't but *could* disappear real fast, gaming will not.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Maybe they own a few 100 million of EA. Ubisoft etc. Stocks also they pay a few million each year for gaming software.
    Also they made billions from gamers and i dont think they already made billions from miniers so i wouldnt piss of the crowd that got me that nice island and mansions around the world.

That's fine, I'll just keep using this GTX 960 which will be fine for years to come, even if I might have to tweak down some Gfx Settings.

They can go ahead and continue to tarnish their image with the gaming community though. That's fine.

As far as retailers go, they're just as evil. MicroCenter appears to be the only one that's actually setting proper purchase limits (and lower prices), so kudos to them. $549 for a 1070 is still a bit much though, but I heard they'll come down if you're buying the rest of your components with them.
    Actively shutting off their products from a lucrative market doesn't make much business sense.

Deleted
    Actively shutting off their products from a lucrative market doesn't make much business sense.
    Especially considering that one buyer (miner) is ready to invest 900€ and another only 600€. So why sell the same card for less money by making them useless for the more potent buyer?

Especially considering the bubble might burst one day. It would lead to AMD getting more buyers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    Maybe they own a few 100 million of EA. Ubisoft etc. Stocks also they pay a few million each year for gaming software.
    Also they made billions from gamers and i dont think they already made billions from miniers so i wouldnt piss of the crowd that got me that nice island and mansions around the world.
    What means "piss off"? You have no choice. AMD is even more ridicolous.

A 1080 was at 500€ and Vega 64 was supposed to be in the same region (500€ was the list price). Now if i want to buy a custom V64, the one available are at 830 to 900€.... fucking 80% more expensive than expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Klatar View Post
    Especially considering that one buyer (miner) is ready to invest 900€ and another only 600€. So why sell the same card for less money by making them useless for the more potent buyer?

Especially considering the bubble might burst one day. It would lead to AMD getting more buyers.

- - - Updated - - -

What means "piss off"? You have no choice. AMD is even more ridicolous.

A 1080 was at 500€ and Vega 64 was supposed to be in the same region (500€ was the list price). Now if i want to buy a custom V64, the one available are at 830 to 900€.... fucking 80% more expensive than expected.
    AMD and Nvidia (and AIBs) are selling the cards to retailers at somewhat fixed prices, it's the retailers who are marking the products up by hundreds of dollars to gain more profit.