Alchemy for a Tank

Hey all, coming back to wow soon to check out cata (quit in wrath)...and I wanted to know how alchemy is,.... from hopefully some tanks that use it?

I always kinda regretted my herb/alch when I first made my toon back in classic, just kinda stayed with it....cuz leveling profs is sooo painful imo....
    However I know I want to change my profs when I come back....would it be good to snag up mining instead perhaps? I know they get a stam bonus and lvling a gathering prof like that wouldn't be too horrible I would imagine...

I know that BS/JC is best if u are into min/max etc....just not sure I'd like to try and lvl "two" expensive/time-consuimg new profs like that....

I would consider starting over with a fully new combo tho...say like BS and mining.....what's everyone's advice, stay alch and pick up mining or go BS/Mining?

Would just grab mining if I were you. I'm not a fan of profs either, and the stam bonuses from toughness and alchemy stone are plenty sufficient IMO. But then I'm quite lazy when it comes to such things
    Quote Originally Posted by Baever View Post
    Heroic modes =/= additional bosses. It's the same encounter, but cannot be steamrolled by an inbred Texan with same IQ as a roll of toilet paper.
    Quote Originally Posted by rabbimojo View Post
    And, more, I'm fairly certain there are several homosexual characters in the game - they don't need to have <Gay> under their name to make it so.
    I'm that guy who enjoys sitting their 6'5" frame in front of little kids in movie theaters.

the alchemy stone is a pretty amazing trinket until you get better. apart from that there's no real reason to stay alch as a tank.

alchemy is great for a tank, double duration flasks and elixirs (guide flasks last 4 hours), the alchemy stone, extra health when you use a health pot, and you get bonus stam from steelskin flasks 120 on top of the 450
    Whether the world's greatest gnats or the world's greatest heroes, you're still only mortal!

Alchemy is among the best tanking professions. The crafted alchemy stone is indeed an excellent trinket, situationally BiS if you are a warrior or paladin (since mastery is valued so highly for those classes). For many raid encounters using the elixir combo of Prismatic + Mastery is superior to a stamina flask, and the Mixology bonus improves both of them. If you do need stamina, just drink a steelskin flask and you'll receive the same stam bonus that a profession like BS would offer.

Thanks for the replies.....leaning towards keeping alch and snagging mining instead of herbs, since other than gathering obviously, herbs offer me no bonus that I am aware of....the stam from mining would be a better fit I think.