Question Mastery & Haste questions

I've taken a break from raid healing since last September and sticking to just heroics but a few weeks ago I've started raiding 25 mans again.

Holy spec and my general duties are healing the raid only.

My haste is 8.17 and mastery is at 16.62.

My question is how low should I go for haste when I am aiming for high mastery? I don't want to go too low on haste as I feel my spells wont reach the targets in time from the other healers.

I've read some forums on this and some suggest haste be around 7.50 as the 5% raid haste will get you up to 12.50 for the extra renew tick, but I am always looking at others on the armory and their haste is at 5.00 and even 2.50. How can they heal with this and not get to their targets in time?

Atm I can get my mastery higher by reforging some haste but wanted to get some opinions here first.
    Last edited by Penric; 2011-05-17 at 12:53 PM.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Theres no certain haste that you should aim for, as long as you feel that you can throw out your heals fast enough.
    The 12,5% haste is BS! you don't even use renew that much.
    What i usually do when i heal as holy in 25man is that i reforge all haste into mastery, because i don't feel the need of any haste in 25 man when you are 5-6 healers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Penric View Post
    I've taken a break from raid healing since last September and sticking to just heroics but a few weeks ago I've started raiding 25 mans again.

My question is how low should I go for haste when I am aiming for high mastery? I don't want to go too low on haste as I feel my spells wont reach the targets in time from the other healers.

I've read some forums on this and some suggest haste be around 7.50 as the 5% raid haste will get you up to 12.50 for the extra renew tick, but I am always looking at others on the armory and their haste is at 5.00 and even 2.50. How can they heal with this and not get to their targets in time?

Atm I can get my mastery higher by reforging some haste but wanted to get some opinions here first.
    1. http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post11050034
    2. "reach the targets in time from the other healers." Are you serious? Healing is not about sniping heals...
    3. Read #1.
    4. You can stack MST as raid healer in 25mans, no problem. If your issue is about sniping heals maybe you should start working to remove that attitude of yours first.
    5. HST isn't additive hence 7.5% from gear does not equal 12.5% raid buffed and so on...

Am not here about sniping, am talking about slow heals that when reach the target have only to discover that the other healers with the higher haste has already healed them.

Don't take my questions and turn it on me please.

Deleted
    Am not here about sniping, am talking about slow heals that when reach the target have only to discover that the other healers with the higher haste has already healed them.

Don't take my questions and turn it on me please.
    My comment still stands. Why would you run several raid healers without assignments? That would just lead to extra overhealing and sniping.

Quote Originally Posted by Wablakin View Post
    My comment still stands. Why would you run several raid healers without assignments? That would just lead to extra overhealing and sniping.
    Well from what I've been through in the past two weeks, I've been told that "healer one, two, and myself will cover raid". Thats it. No further assignments then that.

Well from what I've been through in the past two weeks, I've been told that "healer one, two, and myself will cover raid". Thats it. No further assignments then that.
    Get an addon that shows you incoming heals on raid frames. Or get a new healing officer who isn't too lazy to assign heals to raid better.

On fights where raid damage is minimal, you can get away with lazy 'heal the raid' type assignments. But fights where raid damage is intense, you will constantly lose raid members because Healer A and Healer B are haste racing to heal DPS A, while DPS B is sitting over there with a very sad face on as he hits the floor face first.

If you're using 7-8 healers for fights then Haste is going to benefit you more for the reasons you already mentioned. If you are using less healers such as 5-6 then Mastery is going to benefit your raid more as it will stabilize people faster.

Honestly you can't really go wrong either way, both methods of healing are solid all the way from Halfus to Sinestra. I've played both Haste stacked and Mastery stacked and don't really see a difference in either.

Other things that can help you get to your targets faster are your keybinds and methods of targeting. Are you clicking a person and then hitting your heal button or using mouseovers/Clique? If you use Clique/mouseovers then you are going to increase your healing by a lot as that half a second you aren't spending clicking and then waiting to hit your button really add up over time, even more-so than Haste sometimes.

When I was Haste stacking I was at about 23% Haste raid buffed, when I had to swap to Mastery (to play Disc on some fights) I went from a 2.2 sec PoH to a 2.1 sec PoH and saw no decrease in my healing done by PoH, rather a pure increase on Echo of Light. That .1 second is what you, and your raid, make of it. Currently I'm sitting at 7.18% Haste / 17.96 Mastery unbuffed.
    Pixl Returned! Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Mazi View Post
    If you're using 7-8 healers for fights then Haste is going to benefit you more for the reasons you already mentioned. If you are using less healers such as 5-6 then Mastery is going to benefit your raid more as it will stabilize people faster.

Honestly you can't really go wrong either way, both methods of healing are solid all the way from Halfus to Sinestra. I've played both Haste stacked and Mastery stacked and don't really see a difference in either.

Other things that can help you get to your targets faster are your keybinds and methods of targeting. Are you clicking a person and then hitting your heal button or using mouseovers/Clique? If you use Clique/mouseovers then you are going to increase your healing by a lot as that half a second you aren't spending clicking and then waiting to hit your button really add up over time, even more-so than Haste sometimes.

When I was Haste stacking I was at about 23% Haste raid buffed, when I had to swap to Mastery (to play Disc on some fights) I went from a 2.2 sec PoH to a 2.1 sec PoH and saw no decrease in my healing done by PoH, rather a pure increase on Echo of Light. That .1 second is what you, and your raid, make of it. Currently I'm sitting at 7.18% Haste / 17.96 Mastery unbuffed.
    Usually we have 7-8 healers per raid, only use 6 when numbers are low.

I use mouseovers for healing, been that way since I started healing in tbc. Used Clique/grid for ages but when I took that extended raid break I went to healbot and stayed that way for the past few weeks while getting back into raiding. Generally I use my mouse wheel button for my aol heals, renew is first button, CoH is shift-mouse wheel and PoH is Ctrl-mouse wheel. Generally i like mysetup, have had no complaints.

10+ Year Old Account
    Truth is, beyond everyone's arbitrary opinions, is to get as much haste and mastery as possible. Ignore the 12.5% threshold, go beyond it while still getting us much mastery as possible.

It's hard to say no to Yoo-Hoo chocolate drinks...the name literally beckons.
    Tactical Disaster - Stormrage-US
    16/16 Heroic T14
    10/13 Heroic T15

You will get all the Haste and Mastery you need from gear, if you get Crit on a piece of gear reforge it to haste imo, I always say more Haste > more Mastery. But that's me But I do roll renews a lot so staying high on haste and mastery is important.

Deleted
    I also think you can choose haste or mastery and that does not make too big difference. But I wonder what is your healer setup like? Three months ago when we raided with 3 holy paladins, 1 disc priest, 1 holy priest, 1 resto shaman (+ 1 resto druid on some encounters) I really had to choose the pure haste way because fast and direct heals on raid were slacking the most and that was really my job to take care of. But now later with different healer setup I see my haste preference crumbling a bit if compared to what it used to be.