Page 12 of 92 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    Think I might give Breaking Bad a chance. When I saw a part of some random episode on the TV ages ago I decided that I thought it looked boring. Perhaps I should give it a shot.

Considering the main character is the Malcom in the middle dad (?), does that mean he might be funny, or does he always seem a bit.. down.
    I would say watch the first three episodes, together the first three episodes tell a complete story arc. It'll give you a good idea of the overall tone and style of the show.

The main character is played by Bryan Cranston, who did play Hal, the dad on Malcom in the Middle. However, Bryan Cranston is also probably one of the best actors of all time. He's won a ton of Emmy Awards, and has also won the Emmy for best lead actor for every season of Breaking Bad.

The show does have a quite a lot of humor, but it's usually dark or dry humor, nothing like a sitcom. The show itself is also very dark and gritty in general. Very realistic.

Breaking bad is my favorite TV show of all time, season 4 was beyond all epic. Season 5 has been ok so far but I can't wait till stuff starts getting crazy, also kinda lame season 5 is being split up I don't wanna wait!

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Skylar needs to die, dumb bitch is gonna cause nothing but problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    Skylar needs to die, dumb bitch is gonna cause nothing but problems.
    I agree. my least favorite character on the show. She seems so one dimensional to me.
    Loving the Mike screen time though.

i 3rd the above comments... ever since Season 5 opened up shes just become a broken record whining about how Walt is becoming a bad person.. bo hoo.. just kill the bitch.. have Saul launder the money instead.. and lol@ jessie and mike.. i love how Mikes so decisive about human life, it cracks me up.

the car opening was excellent too. i think walt finally wants to live in style and with a nice car to boot.

I watched the first 4 seasons religiously, but I feel like I am the only one that thinks this season has taken a huge nosedive. S5 story is so sluggish and gut wrenchingly boring (I've skipped every time it's Skyler and Walt alone). I'll still continue watching, but in my opinion this season needs some serious work to make me excited to look forward to next episode. This might be due to 2 part season and them trying to stretch it, but it's silly to see 10 mins of story from a 40 min episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Neglesh View Post
    Why did Walt let Jane die?
    For added consideration, the original script had Walt kill Jane, and not just stand idly by and watch.

So for everyone saying 'omg, Walts turning bad' this season... he was ALWAYS bad, the situations just hadn't presented themselves where he had to be.

This is where Mike and Skylar are conflicting with Walt, I think, they're willing to be bad when they have to, Walt's willing to be bad simply to get a fancier car or consolidate power.

To a point, the Office/Warehouse gal falls into this line of thought too, she is being 'bad' by being selfish and refusing to protect her illicit 'family'. Mike respected her for wanting to look after her actual family, but when he saw he was just being used and she had no loyalty to him... well... we know how Mike does things.

The car scene was a good Chrysler commerical

I love how the creator puts all these hints in to foreshadow. This MIGHT be a spoiler so beware!

I read somewhere the watch Jesse gives Walt is the same kind somebody in a famous crime/drug movie got that died of lung cancer...
    Last edited by Fuzzzie; 2012-08-07 at 06:54 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Wasn't a huge fan of last episode. Considering how they ramped it up in the previous one, I figured they might go somewhere with that. I guess they had to pay off the family story-line before the break, but it was a little disappointing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Man, I can't believe how many people are still rooting for Walt and saying things like "Skyler's a bitch! He should just kill her!"

Talk about missing the point of the show. Vince Gilligan's goal was to turn Walt from a likeable teacher into an unlikeable kingpin. Apparantly he is failing.

I get it, okay, Skyler has never been particularily likeable. Nagging, hypocritical, even a cheater. Sure.

Walt, however, has become an insane asshole. A sociopathic, egomaniacal, child-poisoning, relationship-destroying, wife-threatening asshole.

He doesn't even have as many redemptive qualities as Dexter Morgan -- at least Dexter use his psychotic compulsions to get killers off the street. Walt, on the other hand, is producing extremely addictive drugs that ruin lives, motivated almost purely by greed and pride.
    Last edited by Kathranis; 2012-08-07 at 09:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    Man, I can't believe how many people are still rooting for Walt and saying things like "Skyler's a bitch! He should just kill her!"

Talk about missing the point of the show. Vince Gilligan's goal was to turn Walt from a likeable teacher into an unlikeable kingpin. Apparantly he is failing.

I get it, okay, Skyler has never been particularily likeable. Nagging, hypocritical, even a cheater. Sure.

Walt, however, has become an insane asshole. A sociopathic, egomaniacal, child-poisoning, relationship-destroying, wife-threatening asshole.

He doesn't even have as many redemptive qualities as Dexter Morgan -- at least Dexter use his psychotic compulsions to get killers off the street. Walt, on the other hand, is producing extremely addictive drugs that ruin lives, motivated almost purely by greed and pride.
    He just wanted a huge income until he died of his cancer.
    He didnt intend into becoming the guy who runs stuff, he just wanted to cook.
    After that everything he did was to survive longer, because nobody wants to die just like that, and is making money for his family. Skyler is a bitch because she's a morally insecure character - walter doesnt give a fuck, he does what he has to, and that's what makes him the hero, atleast for me, is that he doesnt have a moral highhorse that says "X is wrong" or "Y is right".

Jesse on the other hand is blowing money like crazy - it's like he never wanted this much money to begin with, now he doesnt know what to do with it.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    He just wanted a huge income until he died of his cancer.
    He didnt intend into becoming the guy who runs stuff, he just wanted to cook.
    After that everything he did was to survive longer, because nobody wants to die just like that, and is making money for his family. Skyler is a bitch because she's a morally insecure character - walter doesnt give a fuck, he does what he has to, and that's what makes him the hero, atleast for me, is that he doesnt have a moral highhorse that says "X is wrong" or "Y is right".
    There is nothing heroic about what Walt is doing. He is an evil character. Human, certainly. But he has become a bad person.

"... we want to make Walt White a truly bad guy. He's going from being a protagonist to an antagonist. We want to make people question who they're pulling for, and why."
    - Vince Gilligan

About the only redeeming quality he has is that he's setting aside money for his kids and plays a kind and doting dad for them. But how do you think Walt Jr. would feel if he found out his dad was a murderer and illegal drug manufacturer?

Jesse's made the exact opposite shift, though he's gotten deeper in the business, he's become a better person. He got clean, became self reliant, and had a positive relationship with a woman and her son, at least until Walt manipulated him into breaking up with her, most likely just to get the kid he poisoned out of the equation.

There is nothing heroic about what Walt is doing. He is an evil character. Human, certainly. But he has become a bad person.

"... we want to make Walt White a truly bad guy. He's going from being a protagonist to an antagonist. We want to make people question who they're pulling for, and why."
    - Vince Gilligan

About the only redeeming quality he has is that he's setting aside money for his kids and plays a kind and doting dad for them. But how do you think Walt Jr. would feel if he found out his dad was a murderer and illegal drug manufacturer?

Jesse's made the exact opposite shift, though he's gotten deeper in the business, he's become a better person. He got clean, became self reliant, and had a positive relationship with a woman and her son, at least until Walt manipulated him into breaking up with her, most likely just to get the kid he poisoned out of the equation.
    He should feel good. His father's taking a huge risk just so they can drive fancy cars and so that he can have a good education. I know for a fact that I would be proud of my father if he did all that and managed to keep his sanity.
    Also walt hasnt murdered anyone who didn't pose threat to him.
    He has done nothing wrong. It's just a case of him stepping on people to get higher. Not only that but his wife deserved being threatened and oh so much more. I think they should've gone ahead with the divorce and walt should've taken her kids

If they want walt to be a negative character, they should make it so he gives off tantrums about everything, and make him an unlikable person. Make him ruin people's lives, not just their days or their week.

The benefits of walt being around still FAR outweigh the negatives, as far as his family is concerned and IF he was totally honest about it infront of both his wife and his kids.

I agree about jesse , although there's something wrong with the way he throws away money.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

I dont think Id call Walt a murderer. Thats like calling a man who was being held at gunpoint a murderer because he shot the person that was threatening him. All the things Walt did were to save himself from being killed for unjustifyable reasons. Gus was the bad guy, not Walt. Walt kills Gus because Gus was threatening his life time and time again, all he wanted was to cook and make the money to provide for his family. If Gus wasnt threatening Walts life Gus doesnt die, Gale doesnt die. If the hispanic kid didnt keep the piece of the plate to stab Walt with he wouldve lived to. And Jane killed herself with drug abuse, again not Walt's fault.

Yes Walt has evolved to be less innocent and honest. That doesnt necessarily make him evil or the villian. People hate Skylar cause shes a rediculous character. She has not a single redeeming quality about her. Shes there to annoy the shit out of Walt and cause problems time and time again. So whenever she has another episode we the audience just go "Here we go again. Skylar going into bitch mode." Maybe if she would show other sides of her that were idk... likeable? We could live with her getting in Walts way. As it is of all the TV shows I watch she is up there as my most hated character.

I really liked how Mike was like "Thats it. This bitch has got to go." He shouldntve let that chick live in the 1st place. I know anyone that tries to have me killed I wouldnt give them any mercy especially after just telling them that they had nothing to fear to begin with. Im hoping she gets whats coming to her from Mike first before she gets picked up by Hank and the DEA.

I do agree that Dexter is generally a more likeable character at this point though since he has a moral code he follows and most people would agree that he is doing the right thing with the people he tracks and kills.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    I know for a fact that I would be proud of my father if he did all that and managed to keep his sanity.
    Also walt hasnt murdered anyone who didn't pose threat to him.
    You would be proud of your father if he was a meth cook and had killed nine people?

He has done nothing wrong.
    So, you're basically saying that dealing drugs, stealing, murder, organized crime, intimidation, basically everything that's considered illegal by every society in the world, is "nothing wrong."

Oh, if you have a reason for doing it, it's fine? Is that it? It would be okay for me to break into your car and steal your stereo system if I wanted it, then? I mean, I'm doing nothing wrong. Just stepping on you to get what I want.

That is such a load of shit, man.

Not only that but his wife deserved being threatened and oh so much more. I think they should've gone ahead with the divorce and walt should've taken her kids
    Walt is not a saint. He does not lead a safe life. Sure, the competition isn't around for now, but literally just several days ago in the show's timeline, a wealthy, powerful man was threatning to kill Walt's wife, son, and daughter.

Would you let Walter White babysit your kids? You have some really, really horrible judgment. I hope you aren't a parent.

If they want walt to be a negative character, they should make it so he gives off tantrums about everything, and make him an unlikable person. Make him ruin people's lives, not just their days or their week.
    He's already ruined several lives. He's responsible for Jane's death (he rolled her onto her back and let her die; in the original script he injected her with enough heroin to make her OD), and all of the fallout of that. He just recently manipulated Jesse into breaking up with his girlfriend. He terrorizes his own wife. Not to mention all the junkies that are hopelessly addicted to his 99% pure crystal meth.

Walt is not contributing to society in even a remotely positive way. He is no different from any drug dealer. He sells poison to junkies and spends the money he earns on sports cars.

Sure, Walt might be killing scum, but he's scum too. Gus was the bad guy? Well, now Gus is dead and Walt's the bad guy.

You would be proud of your father if he was a meth cook and had killed nine people?

So, you're basically saying that dealing drugs, stealing, murder, organized crime, intimidation, basically everything that's considered illegal by every society in the world, is "nothing wrong."

Oh, if you have a reason for doing it, it's fine? Is that it? It would be okay for me to break into your car and steal your stereo system if I wanted it, then? I mean, I'm doing nothing wrong. Just stepping on you to get what I want.

That is such a load of shit, man.

Walt is not a saint. He does not lead a safe life. Sure, the competition isn't around for now, but literally just several days ago in the show's timeline, a wealthy, powerful man was threatning to kill Walt's wife, son, and daughter.

Would you let Walter White babysit your kids? You have some really, really horrible judgment. I hope you aren't a parent.

He's already ruined several lives. He's responsible for Jane's death (he rolled her onto her back and let her die; in the original script he injected her with enough heroin to make her OD), and all of the fallout of that. He just recently manipulated Jesse into breaking up with his girlfriend. He terrorizes his own wife. Not to mention all the junkies that are hopelessly addicted to his 99% pure crystal meth.

Walt is not contributing to society in even a remotely positive way. He is no different from any drug dealer. He sells poison to junkies and spends the money he earns on sports cars.

Sure, Walt might be killing scum, but he's scum too. Gus was the bad guy? Well, now Gus is dead and Walt's the bad guy.
    Pretty much everything said here.

Its funny how a show like Breaking Bad can have such a polarising effect on who views it and from what angle they see the characters from.

TV watching habits have taught us to always root for the main character. always take the side of the protagonist, because they are traditionally the ones driving the storyline forward. But Breaking Bad in its genius should make the viewer not root for Walt...

Because as the above poster has said, EVERYTHING he is doing is destroying lives. Walt is a volatile and toxic person. Sure his personality is more three dimensional than the "atypical" Tuco crimelord for example, but at this stage in the meth game...Walt and Tuco are essentially no different than each other.

Walt has proven time and again he wont let anything get in his way from him claiming his power. He is a man that basically his entire life, up until his 50th birthday was downtrodden, taken for granted...basically a waste of potential and confined to a mediocre life from his p.o.v.

THEN COMES THE CANCER. he is forced into a little box where he really has no power, no control over what his fate will be. he is told he will eventually die from this disease one day. The only power walt has in his life is the Meth game. Hes not going to let that go so easily.

I like Walt as a character, i understand him and his motivations. i dont agree with his choices by any means though.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Walt's character is too likeable to receive a true bad guy feeling that they're maybe trying to get. He's pretty similar to Tony Soprano as far as character portrayal goes. I guess since the season is still fairly fresh the full transition the character to evil. Right now, he's pretty much the same as Tony. He benefits off crime and "bad guy stuff". Yet, he's still a very likeable character and at least from my stand point, I'm cheering for him. I read in an interview Gilligan said Walt's gonna do something that fans won't able to forgive. Can't remember exactly where but I read that earlier today.

It's kind of interesting to see the possible theories of what people think is going to happen. I'm pretty sure 1 thing is for certain, that Walt will die at the end of this series. How it happens, is going to be the entertaining part of it. I think the Scarface on TV and Walt buying that gun at the beginning of the season have some foreshadowing. They usually have a bunch of setup episodes and the latest one was another of those. I'm not expecting anything monumental or huge to happen until episode 6-8 of the first half. (They're splitting it 8/8 right?) Can't wait to see how they string everything together and what ultimately happens. What I do know, is all these setup episodes are well worth it. Episode 4 built extreme tension between Walt and Skylar. Episode 5 will likely build on that plus Walt vs Mike as well. A showdown between the two is inevitable and is going to be an incredible episode.

Things I'm personally excited for and hope happen:
    Walt vs Mike
    Skyler dying or at least fucking off, god she is such a bitch. There is no denying that, chick plays quite a good bitch
    Hank finding out who Heisenberg is

Next to Sherlock, this is the greatest show in the world at this moment, and one of the best series ever to grace television. Everything from writing, directing, music and acting is just superb.
    Things I'm really looking forward to before the end are:

- Skylar dying. I want it to happen, real bad. She played the role so well, you'd basically hate her if you saw her on the streets. Props to Anna Gunn.

- Hank realizing that Walt is Heisenberg. I think it's a given it will happen at some point later in the season. This could probably be my favorite scene in the whole show. The confrontation between the two should be epic.

- Showdown between Walt and Mike.

And I'm really, really hoping that Jesse will make it to the end alive. Aaron Paul is awesome and his character is played to perfection. Walt is probably dying in the end but I don't know if I could guarantee that yet. They could still surprise us, and don't do what everyone in the world is expecting to happen.

Still waters run deep.

Deleted
    Breaking bad is undoubtedly one of the top 5 best tv series of all time, if not the top 3.