Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I've been just replacing the old bulbs with the new ones over time as the old ones burnt out. Haven't had a single new bulb burn out yet. Whatever the extra cost was I've certainly saved(and then some) on how long they've lasted.

As an advocate of personal freedom, I would of preferred they just slapped a reclusion tax on Incandescent Lightbulbs then ban them outright. That way people who still want to manufacture or use them may still do so, it would just be the most financially stupid decision ever made since they'd end up paying 3 times as much for an inferior bulb.

I don't really blame the government for wanting to shift people towards superior lighting methods, but I'm a little uncomfortable with an outright ban.
    Roleplaying, hardcore Raiding, running LFR on the occasional weekend, PvPing, rolling alts, achievement hunting, pet battling, or just enacting an endless series of whims, I don't care how you play WoW. Just as long as you have fun doing it.

The point wasn't really which bulb is better. The LED bulb is better. The point is that governments are telling people what light bulbs they can buy.

Sig created by Darknstormy

I don't really blame the government for wanting to shift people towards superior lighting methods, but I'm a little uncomfortable with an outright ban.
    Well its only a restriction on production.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shockpally View Post
    The EPA recommends you leave the area where the CFL broke for 15 minutes until the dust settles. You then have to put on gloves and a respirator to sweep the broken contents into a glass jar and take it to an approved disposal site.

You might want to read up on CFL's there chief.

As far as light bulbs go I dont want to spend $30 for a 2 pack of CFL's (walmart) when i can get a 4 pack of regular bulbs for $3.50.

I know how to turn a lamp off.

---------- Post added 2011-05-18 at 12:53 AM ----------

Hey there genius. Guess what. You do use more electricity when you use Incandescents, which you pay for in your bill.

You just dont spend more for the electricity than you over pay for the newer more expensive energy saving bulbs. Your appliances use more electricity than a light bulb ever will.

That bolded part scares me, why? Well 1-2 years ago here in Victoria in Australia the good old Governement had people come here (as in to our houses) and give away these CFL (here in aus there simply called Power saving light globes) anyway so i installed all mine and one broke as i put it in, so i got covered in this white powder and it obviously spewed everywhere else too.

My point is i knew they had Mercury in them and so freaked out a little, but shit if they are that toxic. I breathed it in, used bare hands to clean it....

The chemicals in CFLs are only dangerous to the feeble in small rooms. Hence the warning.

This is just like the food situation in America, if it costs more and is better for you, we don't want it.
    So lets just eat fast food everyday because its cheap and easy to get.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    I know CFL's don't work very well (or at all) outdoors. Especially in the cold. How do LED lights hold up in the elements?
    Almost all my flashlights are LEDs, and I don't have any issue with them.

I'm actually a little confused because I have quite a few 3 and 5 LED lights that are brighter than a regular lightbulb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE

You guys are missing the biggest problem!!! The banning of incandescent bulbs means the death of the easy bake oven!!!!

The government is out to save you, once again, from yourself. They arent satisfied with outlawing incandescents to make you buy toxic CFL's. Now they want to promote a light bulb that is more expensive than some lamps.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110516/...9saXN0BHNsawNs

Stop the Government from saving us from ourselves. If you want to buy an energy efficient bulb go ahead. Unfortunately they are taking that option away from you by getting rid of the extremely lower cost light bulbs and eroding yet more of your economic freedom.
    Energy has always been a regulated resource in America. It's non-tradeable and the price of electricity hasn't gone up in almost, I believe, 20 years, because of it. You don't hear people complaining that the government is restricting their economic freedoms because they apply regulations to the Energy companies, but as soon as the consumer themselves have to be responsible for some sort of regulation in order to keep the resource affordable and available we get a lot of animated people come out of the woodwork.

Little do you realize that's the last light bulb you'd have to buy for a few years, and it will save you energy in the amount equal to a savings that will pay for itself over a years time. So if you'd like the "Freedom" to make incredibly poor decisions that drain power unnecessarily and HURT the economy than I don't know what to say for you and you're critical thinking capacity.

---------- Post added 2011-05-18 at 12:11 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Potatowizard View Post
    This is just like the food situation in America, if it costs more and is better for you, we don't want it.
    So lets just eat fast food everyday because its cheap and easy to get.
    And the only reason that its more expensive is because the demand isn't high enough for it. If "junk" food were regulated than the prices of the "healthy" food would be reduced as it will be bought in greater quantities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Novamourne View Post
    Energy has always been a regulated resource in America. It's non-tradeable and the price of electricity hasn't gone up in almost, I believe, 20 years, because of it.
    Neither of those statements is true. I sell electricity from my house, and I don't get a constant rate from it.

Solar Panels and Wind Turbines FTW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    I know CFL's don't work very well (or at all) outdoors. Especially in the cold. How do LED lights hold up in the elements?
    CFLs work fine outside, you just have to go a size or two up. But LED lights are really good, the cheap versions does give up a slightly cold light and inaccurate light compared to the more expensive ones which give a warmer and more accurate light. Also LED can withstand what ever you bring on them, think about a CPU, they're made of LEDs that doesn't light and those can withstand everything from minus a shit load to the point where the plastic around it melts.
    LEDs are the way of the future, all the need to do is get the good coating a bit cheaper so we'll get as good a quality of light that we do with the old heat sinks, at almost the same buying price.

PS. the mentioned quality of light is nothing anyone here will ever notice (unless you really buy some crap LEDs), it's very minor but it's measurable.
    Last edited by mmoc3474d1d8e5; 2011-05-18 at 06:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The government is out to save you, once again, from yourself. They arent satisfied with outlawing incandescents to make you buy toxic CFL's. Now they want to promote a light bulb that is more expensive than some lamps.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110516/...9saXN0BHNsawNs

Stop the Government from saving us from ourselves. If you want to buy an energy efficient bulb go ahead. Unfortunately they are taking that option away from you by getting rid of the extremely lower cost light bulbs and eroding yet more of your economic freedom.
    If we first are going to be bitching about anything lets complain about the fact that lightbulbs are made to last for a limited time, its a proven fact that over the years the bulbs are designed to last short so we need to buy more, back in the day when they made the good ones you still have one that is actually working i beleve it have been working for around 108 years at a firestation in the us.

Look up the lightbulb conspiracy on youtube

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by m3x View Post
    If we first are going to be bitching about anything lets complain about the fact that lightbulbs are made to last for a limited time, its a proven fact that over the years the bulbs are designed to last short so we need to buy more, back in the day when they made the good ones you still have one that is actually working i beleve it have been working for around 108 years at a firestation in the us.

Look up the lightbulb conspiracy on youtube
    It's called a business model... I'm sure these new bulbs don't cost anywhere near $50 but since they're expected to sell (lets say) only 1 set per household per decade the end cost needs to reflect that projection.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by maldias View Post
    removing the wrong answer for stupid people.
    nothing more.
    theres little difference between them other then efficancy.

so if your going to end up wasting electricity you SHOULD end up paying more.
    Those who waste electricity do end up paying more. Their electricity bill is larger than that of those who do not waste.

If I wan't to pay higher running costs for an inefficient product, I damn well should be able, I mean, why are you allowed to use inefficient clothes?
    Why are people allowed to use anything but the most efficient cars? The rest are "clearly wasting energy".
    Why are people allowed to stay in the shower more than 5 minutes, surely you can't need a longer shower than that?
    Why are people allowed to eat any more than the necessary foods, or unhealthy food?
    Why are people allowed to build different kinds of houses, if they all built the most efficient model we would save immensly?

1) Those "experts" who determine what is most efficient and what is not, are often wrong - ignorance and corruption
    2) That's what Freedom is about. Choises, Good and Bad.
    Last edited by mmoc43ae88f2b9; 2011-05-18 at 09:50 AM.

similar changes where introduced here in Australia too. Its a good thing (tm).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Morlach View Post
    similar changes where introduced here in Australia too. Its a good thing (tm).
    They did it in Europe. It was a bad thing. The light bulbs sucked and cost shitloads. They were introduced way too early, if they truly are better people would've bought them over normal one's anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    And why the hell should people not be able to buy inefficient light bulbs?
    What if they aren't inefficient after all, or their efficiency is not the sole reason for purchase?
    Because by doing so (because of really really short term future in mind) they are poisonning the environnement and making things worse for pretty much everyone otherwise, partly due to things they are ignorant of, partly because they don't care until it starts affecting them PERSONNALLY and by that time it's too late the damage is done ?

Complaining about that is stupid.
    IF every single human being out there was knowledgeable enough to understand EVERY single aspect of EVERY single problem out there, and able to step down and take a minor short term hindrance for himself to make things better for everyone else (including himself) on medium/long term the World could go without governments, but it's called Anarchy and doesn't work, because pretty much 95% of the people out there will fuck over everyone else short/medium/long term just for a slight immediate gratification/advantage, even if it means being worse themselves a few years after, when they understand the problem, which is really the case in like 1% of the situations.

It's why there is regulations and Governments and things like that to try to keep things under control (and no, i don't pretend governments are perfect or that they never do mistakes/bad choices due to "personal interests", just that, overall, they do better and are needed, but as everything else originating from Man, they are inherently flawed and prone to errors).

edit : Diurdi : no they wouldn't because they cost more upfront and it's the only thing people see, not the fact that they cost far less on usage AND last longer, AND are less impacting on the environment.
    And it worked nice in Europe really.
    Last edited by Ashareth; 2011-05-18 at 10:09 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    They did it in Europe. It was a bad thing. The light bulbs sucked and cost shitloads. They were introduced way too early, if they truly are better people would've bought them over normal one's anyway.
    You have to remember the general public is dumb and short sighted. It is a very very good incentive, I'm all for freedom and all that, but this is better for everyone even the environment

10+ Year Old Account
    my god, this is terrible. Just think of how much it's gonna cost every time we get a good idea!