Most memorable experiences as a child.

I am a new father of a sweet four month old little girl.

I have taken on the role of the stay at home parent, so I need lots of good idea's for places to go, games to play, things to buy, ect . I started to make a list of things/times/places that meant alot to me as a child. I was hoping I could get some more great ideas from this diverese group.

I am pretty set on taking her to a foreign country sometime before she heads off to college.

Anything would be helpfull,

Thank you for your time.

10+ Year Old Account
    being a kid my self i remeber when i was about 7 i went to the national history museum..... I LOVED IT that is what truly made me obssesed by Dinosaurs and Paleontology.

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember my first or second Christmas. I got a Spike *doll* from the Rugrats show. So happy.

My near-death experience and my uncle rescuing me. I was swimming in the ocean,I just remember a big wave hitting me and I went underwater, but I didn't bother to do anything. I was being dragged away by the undertow but I didn't feel like I was dying. It actually felt pretty peaceful. Everything seemed hazy and in a weird way, beautiful. Then my uncle came and rescued me and my chest hurt like hell.

My exstepfather giving me a black eye over a game of Mortal Kombat. My exstepfather telling me I was the most worthless person he ever knew. Kids remember the horrible things their parental figures do to them alot better than the good experiences. Looking back at pictures of my childhood I know I had lots of good experiences with him, I just can't remember any. Try not to fuck up too badly.

But more in line with what you were asking for: fishing is always fun if you know how.
    Last edited by myrkyr; 2011-05-19 at 12:18 AM.
    Individuals are not simple. They cannot be defined for easy reference in the manner of:The elves are a lithe, pointy-eared people who excel at poverty.

10+ Year Old Account
    Get her a horse/ pony before puberty.........keeps girls especially out of trouble with the opposite sex. Keep in mind it in itself can be have it's dangers.I loved my horses dearly as a child.Also camping I enjoyed that as a child for a short time.

---------- Post added 2011-05-18 at 08:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by myrkyr View Post
    My exstepfather giving me a black eye over a game of Mortal Kombat. My exstepfather telling me I was the most worthless person he ever knew. Kids remember the horrible things their parental figures do to them alot better than the good experiences. Looking back at pictures of my childhood I know I had lots of good experiences with him, I just can't remember any. Try not to fuck up too badly.

But more in line with what you were asking for: fishing is always fun if you know how.
    I think he's looking for GOOD ideas to create memories , NOT the fked up childhood some of us had.
    Last edited by Katt; 2011-05-19 at 12:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, when I was a kid I remember doing a lot of things mostly from the age 10 and up though My mom would help me carve pumpkins and what not... My dad took me to see Albert Haynesworth he had a huge party going on and my dad does irrigation systems and stuff like that so that's how we got hooked up. My mom took me to Dolly Wood a haunted corn maze but I liked scary things so...

My dad took me fishing a lot I remember doing a lot of that with him. He bought me games same with my mom. Did all sorts of stuff with my dad until he met this woman that ruined him... He was living really good making nice money because he was manager he would take me to his work sometimes and it was fun but when he met this woman she got him hooked to some bad stuff and alcohol.

They had a kid on accident and they split up pretty much. So then he had to live with a friend for a while and me and my friend would go there every other weekend. He was always working and he was still hooked to some stuff... then he got back with that bitch and she kicked him out. Now he has to pay a high child support bill and he doesn't get to see his kid half the time they're going to court about it.

He's an alcoholic and lives in a mobile home now and I hardly ever talk to him since we don't have much in common... He likes Football and Cars I like World of Warcraft and Computers... you see the difference. The biggest advice I'm giving you is don't fall into my fathers mistakes and you'll be alright!

i loved the holidays, especially Easter, i still do but not as much as when i was young

OHHH!!! i remember this one well! We were taking a road trip to Las Vegas with my parents, my grandparents (mothers side) and my baby brother in a cramped Cadillac, i believe it was a 90-92 DeVille not sure though. i was 5 or 6 and my dad bought me a gamboy color with Pokemon blue version! oh the nostalgia! idk why but thats one of the most memorable things that ever happened in my childhood (that wasn't holiday related)

but i think thats because most of my childhood has been blocked from my memory because of a family feud going on between my dad's side and my mom/grandparents...
    "The instinct of self-preservation? You call it that. Yes, i will sink my teeth into life. Fuck your evolution. Let other species wait their turn. I'm not a lamb being led to the slaughter."
    ~Hunter

What is better, to be born good? or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?
    ~Paarthurnax
    my attempts at being funny with skyrim

I found a shovel in my dads back yard, and my first thought was to dig a big hole, and so I did. My dad wasn't happy, and I had to refill the hole.

That is my childhood... a hole.

Moral of the story is, dig a big hole with your kid and show my dad who won.

Great thoughts, thank you for sharing.

Honestly, since I was creating a positive list I did not think about the bad times sticking out the most, but it's true. I can think of a time when my dad was utterly pissed at me and I saw a side of him I had not seen before. Amazing the things we remember and forget.

I remember fishing in a small boat on a lake with my great grandfather when I was young, just before he past away. That trip is where I gained a love of the outdoors.

This one time my cousin and I robbed every pillow and blanket from the house and piled them on the trampoline. We then did back flips off the second story roof onto the pillows. I think my mother would kill me if she ever found out about that.

Sheesh put on the spot, I can hardly remember anything.

Though the guys above me had a point, traumatic experiences are going to be burnt hardest into the memory. I don't know what my dad thought when he dragged me onto that roller coaster. I can't drive in hilly areas now, I'll have a panic attack.

Hmm, what else...
    -no fishing. fishing is boring.
    - buy her a trampoline. kids love trampolines.
    uhhmm...
    -have her watch My Little Pony

that's all I can think of

take my advice with a grain of salt, I had a weird childhood...

(but not the MLP thing, it seems universally accepted that it's a good show)
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2011-05-19 at 01:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

1996 east coast USA

Blizzard... got to play in snow as deep as I was tall. Best week ever.
    Signature not acceptable (e.g. too large), read http://www.mmo-champion.com/general-discussions-22/important-signatures/ - Regards, Olison