Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Enders View Post
    If you have no self-control, you shouldn't drink. It's really that simple. Getting a little bit of a buzz isn't going to turn you into a belligerent idiot, it will just lower your inhibitions a little bit and loosen you up. The key is knowing when enough is enough.
    A thousand times this.

I quit a few years back for the same types of reasons(lack of control) My advice-if you can avoid it don't even start. It's easier to not start at all than it is to stop later. The logic of drinking a few and just being relaxed is somewhat flawed, by the time you should be realizing that its time to stop you may not be able to, or think you need to(least thats how I was) But everyone should live their own life. The things that you have done so far show that you are a pretty damn strong willed person so I am sure you can manage whatever you do.

Quote Originally Posted by angelx7x View Post
    he nebver said "if you don't drink you shouldn't have been born" unless you can see things other people can't, and if so, maybe you should find somewhere where it would be more useful
    See above post, I already explained this. It's exactly what he said, though for what reason I couldn't tell you. Maybe he's been drinking
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/trashcan.jpg
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...s/carville.jpe

For once, Carville was a man ahead of his time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    What you said: "quite frankly if you are going to deny yourself from trying new things, ignoring your emotions and urges, and condemning things you do not understand you are better of never being born."

Not drinking fits under that, and if you say it doesn't why did you post it to begin with? Thus, you're saying if someone doesn't drink they shouldn't have been born.
    lol now you are being retarded. i am generalising not just talking about drinking. actually read the post please - i saw u paraphrased it and then later posted it again but i dont think you got what i meant into your head.

Quote Originally Posted by 312guiltyspark View Post
    lol now you are being retarded. i am generalising not just talking about drinking. actually read the post please - i saw u paraphrased it and then later posted it again but i dont think you got what i meant into your head.
    How is directly quoting you paraphrasing? Yes, I know you're talking about a larger subject, but the point is that drinking is a part of it. Does the fact that you told even more people they shouldnt have been born make it mean less?

The fact that you felt the need to follow it up with saying "mods please dont ban me" should say it all, really.
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/trashcan.jpg
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...s/carville.jpe

For once, Carville was a man ahead of his time.

i dont drink myself and it doesnt bother me when other people do it.
    what does bother me though is what some people turn into when they drink yes some people when they drink become quite funny and not a harm to anyone then theres others who turn very violent and abusive people who beat up thier family neglect their kids and duties and then claim a sick benifit for alcholism which if i had my way they wouldnt get a penny which without alchohol they wouldnt be.
    these are the kind of people who shouldnt be allowed near any form of alchoholic beverage

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragen View Post
    I agree drinking is stupid in general, people only do it cause they are either too scared to have fun on their own or desperately want to forget about something painful.
    That would be your opinion. I personally don't need alcohol to have fun, nor do I drink it to suppress anything, I drink it because I enjoy the feeling, I enjoy the altered experience that you can't get from being sober. I also only drink socially, I'm not what people normally consider an alcoholic. It sounds to me like you think anyone who drinks, does so everytime they leave their home to go enjoy themselves.

As for you OP, all I can say to you is "To each his own". No one person is built like another. Your post is titled "Why do people drink alcoholic beverages?" yet you aren't asking us anything, you're telling us how you feel about it, and giving us you belief in why you shouldn't partake in such activities. I don't know, maybe it's the mood I'm in at the moment, but I just see your post as a way to come down on others for their decision to consume alcohol, in a roundabout fashion.

I have, drank every weekend, did pot occasionally. I stopped drinking since I had a bad baad hang over, puked on my dog and puked my lungs out the whole next day. I never said heavy drug use, only said drug usage.

And I felt when I was drunk or high, that I wouldn't of done half of the shit I done in those effects sober, so I guess its not to say 'not in control of your actions' more like, you'd do something you never normally would, in a way. Can't exactly think of a proper word for it.
    Last edited by Digglett; 2011-05-19 at 12:24 AM.

Don't mistake drinking with "Getting Smashed or Binge drinking" Drinking alcohol doesn't always lead to being drunk/crazy if u drink responsibly. although it seems like binge drinking is on the rise as people see getting drunk and vomiting 100$ worth of dinner as a "good time".

Because I like the taste of Beer, I like the feeling it gives, and its my right to enjoy it. I also can control my emotions quite well. Strange though it may seem, drinking beer seems to help with that endeavor. I find myself more relaxed and less prone to overthinking a issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragen View Post
    I agree drinking is stupid in general, people only do it cause they are either too scared to have fun on their own or desperately want to forget about something painful.
    That is an extremely ignorant comment. I drink because it tastes good mostly, and a quart or so can help relax your weary bones after a hard days work without going overboard.

I don't mind if you don't drink or if you ever do. Some people just aren't into it. I do feel sorry though for the people who never get to enjoy the finest beers and wines in the world.

It loosens my tongue.

I personally simply don't like the taste of alcohol. Nor to I need a toxin to help me "relax" and find things funny. And the self-control thing is right on the money, people lose self-control the more they drink, and the more they drink, the worse they get. It feeds itself. As for the "health benefits", my concern is not with the people drinking a glass of red wine every evening with dinner, but the morons that get shitfaced every Friday night and cruise around town getting into fights or accidents, endangering everyone around them. The cons of alcohol far outweigh the pros, every time.
    "I'm the Doctor. I'm a Time Lord. I'm from the planet Gallifrey in the Constellation of Kasterborous. I'm 903 years old and I'm the man who is gonna save your lives and all 6 billion people on the planet below. You got a problem with that?"

-The Doctor, Voyage of the Damned

Quote Originally Posted by AdamsGaming View Post
    What about the refreshing, relaxing feeling you get from alcohol that I hear so much about?
    It's pretty great!

Is an ice cold beer really better than an ice cold lemonade?
    I think so. I like both, though.

EDIT: I mean does it even taste good?
    Yes!
    twenty-four hour skeleton power

I hate my generation,
    Bring back prohibition.

It relaxes me. I'm a naturally reserved person who doesn't talk a huge amount. After a few drinks, I become more openly friendly and extroverted. And I know when to stop, since I know from experience that too much will make me ill.

However, I never turn into an asshole.

My theory is this. Alcohol enhances someone's natural behaviour. If you're friendly, you become more friendly. Flirty becomes more flirty. And an asshole becomes a drunk asshole. Drink isn't an excuse, it shows the 'real you'.

Also, I happen to like the taste of various Ales and Rums. Non-alcoholic versions don't taste right. Hense, I drink alcohol in moderation. I'm an adult, its my choice

TL: DR - Only assholes shouldn't drink. It makes them even bigger assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by Shmeh View Post
    Gotta love the high horse a lot of non-drinkers get on. I respect your choice not to drink, especially if you know you can't handle it, but I don't like the way people like you (perfect examples in this thread) act about it. You don't sound better than anyone. It actually makes you sound like douche bags.
    completely agree with this; and it really pisses me off when they do it.

You sort of ask this question in a way that says: Anybody that drinks is an idiot.

I do not like questions phrased in such ways.

I could answer: Some people drink to relax, to socialize, because they like the taste. On the toxic part I could even say its because the relaxation and letting go off yourself might be better than ignoring any aggressive urges you might have through meditation, which can lead to you exploding at some point cause you never really dealt with your shit.

Now, I respect how you deal with stuff. Despite being doubtful of how conciously you can go on meditation as a 13 year old kid, I am glad this works for you.

However, it's actually been proven that moderate quantaties of alcohol have a positive effect on vascular disease, it works as a positive social lubricant and and it has a positive effect on your mental health (will look for the citation).

The problem does not lie in the toxic part, the problem is in drinking too much. If you ask me why people choose to drink themselves into a stupor, thats very different.

Too much of anything is bad, but I feel that the fact that you fear YOUR personality wouldn;t work well with drinking is no reason to go around claiming everybody would have such issues.

People should stop being so damn self-righteous. I don't drink. A lot (most) of you do. So be it.

That said I'm going to be a complete hypocrite and add that drinking alcohol is no better than smoking a cigarette. Both are absolutely deadly to you. Doesn't matter if you do them in moderation or whatever. I'd say alcohol is actually worse just because its so openly accepted.
    Last edited by Flaks; 2011-05-19 at 12:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

I have a friend who is very anti-alcohol so this is something I have discussed before.

Alcohol is to Life like Salt is to Food.

You eat enough salt and it'll kill you. High salt diets are REALLY bad for you in the long run. And if you put too much salt on food it makes it taste bad by overpowering the flavor of the food it is on. But salt is also known to enhance any food it is put in, if used in a moderate enough amount. They add salt to many desserts, just not enough to be noticeable. Same thing with alcohol. A little bit of alcohol can enhance the enjoyment you are already feeling in that same situation.

The difference is that many people get used to having too much all the time (same as people who eat food with too much salt on a regular basis) and can't enjoy life without it. Mix that with the fact that alcohol lowers your self control and allows you to do things you wouldn't otherwise. This means that people with self-control problems need to be careful with how much they drink and when. The alcohol doesn't innately make you do horrible things, it just reduces the chance that you will think before you act.

There is no reason why responsible people in good health shouldn't enjoy a little salt on their food.