Poll: Alchemy Vs Inscription

Poll: Alchemy vs Inscription to pair with herbing

So my tauren druid is all grown up and wants to get a job... he has been patiently and diligently collecting herbs so has naturally decided that a career involving herbalism in one way or another would suit him well. So far he has only found job listings for Alchemy and Inscription. It seems that those are the only two companies that are currently hiring herbalists. The issue is he cant decide which one to go with. The alchemy offers a nice paycheck but the inscription seems to have more job security. Help him make an educated choice (keeping 4.2 in mind)
    Last edited by Almighty1; 2011-05-19 at 10:37 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    please, oh dear god, stop the RP'ing but i personaly like inscription because i dont have to do the therazane dailies

I personally have already Inscription on my Warlock and Alchemy on my Mage. I liked Inscription more, with Shoulder enchant and cards. Well Alchemy has it's own positives, trinkets etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomalk View Post
    please, oh dear god, stop the RP'ing but i personaly like inscription because i dont have to do the therazane dailies
    Lol tbh i wasnt tryin to rp i am just really baked and thought id try something different

Deleted
    Inscrip gives you lods of emone.

A friend of mine has been purchasing and farming herbs for a couple of months now, and has produced over 20 different Darkmoon Cards which he has sold for a minimum of 6k each (guild discount not included).

Alchemy on the other hand, well, yeah. You sell flasks and pots but you'll end up selling 100+ flasks to cover up one DM Card.

Go with what you feel most happy with (bare in mind the profession bonuses too, those shoulder enchants for inscrip are om nom nom.)

Quote Originally Posted by Almighty1 View Post
    Lol tbh i wasnt tryin to rp i am just really baked and thought id try something different
    lol

is it your main or an alt? if it's your main, i'd say alchemy, trinkets, double duration on flasks and trasmute or elixir master can help towards making nice sums of money. also, assuming you dont slack on your reps, you'd get therazane exalted for the shoulder enchant anyways (even though the inscription one is better). darkmoon cards are good, but since we're nearly into the second tier, their popularity has already peaked and the prices have come down by about 10k since the beginning of the expansion.

i'd say go with alchemy as it's your main, then go with inscription on an alt (which will allow you to bypass therazane rep, which on alts is a chore to get to exalted).

So my tauren druid is all grown up and wants to get a job... he has been patiently and diligently collecting herbs so has naturally decided that a career involving herbalism in one way or another would suit him well. So far he has only found job listings for Alchemy and Inscription. It seems that those are the only two companies that are currently hiring herbalists. The issue is he cant decide which one to go with. The alchemy offers a nice paycheck but the inscription seems to have more job security. Help him make an educated choice (keeping 4.2 in mind)
    Hehe, this sounds like a WoW themed word problem
    Don't forget that without sentry totem raid bosses would often sneak up on us.

Quote Originally Posted by smokii View Post
    lol

is it your main or an alt? if it's your main, i'd say alchemy, trinkets, double duration on flasks and trasmute or elixir master can help towards making nice sums of money. also, assuming you dont slack on your reps, you'd get therazane exalted for the shoulder enchant anyways (even though the inscription one is better). darkmoon cards are good, but since we're nearly into the second tier, their popularity has already peaked and the prices have come down by about 10k since the beginning of the expansion.

i'd say go with alchemy as it's your main, then go with inscription on an alt (which will allow you to bypass therazane rep, which on alts is a chore to get to exalted).
    This is an alt. I am leaning more towards inscription because my guild provides the flasks for us already. Also the trinkets are OK but not going To be viable in 4.2 while some fair cards might still be ok

Deleted
    I would say Alchemy all the way.

If it's an alt, grab mining and make it a farmbot

Quote Originally Posted by zoefschildpad View Post
    If it's an alt, grab mining and make it a farmbot
    already have mining paired with Eng on another alt. My main is JC/Chanting (i am a raid whore lol) so that pairs nicely with mining as well. The biggest issue with alchemy to me is the fact that you need to have a flask up to receive your personal bonus. this doesnt seem fair to me at all. the biggest issue with inscription is the fact that DMF cards are going to be close to worthless when 4.2 hits. I also think that the more guilds get the cauldron perk the less money alchemy will make. I havent bought a flask in ages and my guild provides us with potions at mats price. The more i think about it the less and less appealing alchemy becomes

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    already have mining paired with Eng on another alt. My main is JC/Chanting (i am a raid whore lol) so that pairs nicely with mining as well. The biggest issue with alchemy to me is the fact that you need to have a flask up to receive your personal bonus. this doesnt seem fair to me at all. the biggest issue with inscription is the fact that DMF cards are going to be close to worthless when 4.2 hits. I also think that the more guilds get the cauldron perk the less money alchemy will make. I havent bought a flask in ages and my guild provides us with potions at mats price. The more i think about it the less and less appealing alchemy becomes
    Alchemists get a flask that has unlimited uses that give you the bonuses you would otherwise get from other prof. Yah, you have to use it every hour but you can just macro it to motw or another buff.

edit: http://www.wowhead.com/item=58149

Alchemy also gets daily transmutes, and 1-2 minutes a day can net you quite a bit of money.
    Last edited by TyloBedo; 2011-05-19 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TyloBedo View Post
    Alchemists get a flask that has unlimited uses that give you the bonuses you would otherwise get from other prof. Yah, you have to use it every hour but you can just macro it to motw or another buff.

edit: http://www.wowhead.com/item=58149

Alchemy also gets daily transmutes, and 1-2 minutes a day can net you quite a bit of money.
    interesting... i was not aware of this lol as you can see i am an alchemy noob... so does this flask "stack" with regular flasks such as Flask of the winds? or do regular flasks get instantly buffed by +80 because of the mixology effect?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    interesting... i was not aware of this lol as you can see i am an alchemy noob... so does this flask "stack" with regular flasks such as Flask of the winds? or do regular flasks get instantly buffed by +80 because of the mixology effect?
    Regular flasks over this flask are instantly buffed from mixology.

And you'd be surprised how many people who actually have alchemy don't realize they have this flask :P.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullblod View Post
    Inscrip gives you lods of emone.

A friend of mine has been purchasing and farming herbs for a couple of months now, and has produced over 20 different Darkmoon Cards which he has sold for a minimum of 6k each (guild discount not included).

Alchemy on the other hand, well, yeah. You sell flasks and pots but you'll end up selling 100+ flasks to cover up one DM Card.
    Either you don't have an alchemist, or you don't know how to play one... and the profit from darkmoon cards is something scribes have for a few months at the start of xpacs. It's already pretty much dried out and 4.2 will stick the final fork in it.

To the OP: Well if it's an alt... both could be nice, but they are totally different.

If it's an alt you might raid with, or you want to make money with, Alchemy all the way. Pick transmutation mastery, do the living elements transmute every day, move to epic gems when they are out. That's a minimum of 150g per day for 10 seconds of effort, and no risk whatsoever.

If you just want to cover all bases (i.e. have all the profs) and be useful for your guild, then Inscription would be cool, especially if there's no other scribe in the guild (which happens quite often in small guilds). And especially since Blizz has said they will make all the glyphs discoverable with research, and the books just provide a speed up. Right now you'd have to spend an insane amount of time or money farming the books (given their drop rate). Also useful if you plan to level archeology on that toon because of the extra HS with scrolls.

But generally speaking having both (alch on main, inscription on alt with all glyphs), I can safely say alchemy >>>>> inscription.

Hardcore AH guys have 3+ toons with Alchemy for a reason. Look around on your server and you will see Inscription is the least represented prof BY FAR--there's a good reason why.

10+ Year Old Account
    if you're willing to setup a massive and elaborate system to make gold with Inscription, using addons and logging in several times a day ~ then Alchemy is better. Otherwise Inscription is the clear winner when it comes to making a steady stream of gold

Deleted
    I'd go with Inscription as well. but still depends on what you have on your other characters. I got every proffesion divided amongst my chars

I am able to make good money with both alchemy and inscription. However, inscription takes more time to learn recipes. Another thing to consider is do you wish to do therazine dailies for rep for your shoulder enchant. --- I got with inscription because I am lazy about the latter.