Thread: Frost PvE

Frost PvE

Since frost/fire does not require as much reforging when switching specs as arcane/fire does, I am wondering about the new frost PvE spec.

Ignite no longer triggers off frost spells, so IMO we should only get MoE from the fire tree and invest into arcane more to get torment of the weak. Since there are no guides updated yet, not even on EJ, I would like some feedbakc on this idea here. Atm my frost spec is this : http://eu.battle.net/wow/de/characte...lent/secondary

Any ideas for improvement ?
    Ecce homo ergo elk

Torment of the weak only affects arcane spells?

Torment of the weak is useless to frost as it only affects arcane spells =(
    I would actually take the points out of Totw and put 1 more into clearcasting and 2 into improved blink.
    I like the bonus movement from improved blink while raiding but if your only doing 5 mans put them into improved CS (trust me your healers/tanks will love you hehe)

argh, another fail -.-

First with ignite and now with Totw. I realy need to read those tooltips more closely -.-

So, what is the proper frost pve specc atm ? Maybe go burning soul & firepower ?
    Ecce homo ergo elk

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...Mage-PVE-Guide
    This guide should help you out enough its as good as any guide right now. not much changed between 4.0.6 and 4.1 thats of any great concern.

stop the trolling >> http://www.wowhead.com/talent#o0bZfcZffbosIszMo << the gain you get from ignite on FFB should not be neglected

So is it viable now to spam frostfire bolt instead of frostbolt ?

Ps : you may want to rethink your definition of trolling.
    Ecce homo ergo elk

Frost is not a pve spec, it was a long time ago. Do not try frost for pve u will fail.

no its not viable to spam FFB. but since FFB gains from FoF its a sure critt most of the time the proc is up. picking ignite should give you noticeable dmg inc compared to the other options.

@ Redbounty.
    not saying it will beat arcane. just saying: frost with ignite > frost without. alteast when you look on single target dmg

Quote Originally Posted by Redbounty View Post
    Frost is not a pve spec, it was a long time ago. Do not try frost for pve u will fail.
    Frost IS viable for PvE, it just doesn't perform quite as well as Arcane, but it's single target damage is still higher than Fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoflower View Post
    So is it viable now to spam frostfire bolt instead of frostbolt ?

Ps : you may want to rethink your definition of trolling.
    No, you spam Frostbolt and use FFB on Brain Freeze.
    You will have a near 100% crit chance on FFB so the ignite talent equates to a 40% damage increase to FFB which is already one of Frost's harder hitting spells due to mastery.

Deleted
    I totally agree with Redbounty. Frost can be handy for kiting adds on 10man Nefarian.

10+ Year Old Account
    I took Invocation since I had no idea where it could fit better. Prolly according to Kuni's guide (since she/he should be a much better frost mage pve-wise), you can take Ignite for Frostfire bolt, but imo definitely use it only when it procs rather than being your primary rotation as frostbolt is.

Thus FoF+FFbolt > FoF+IL.

I get some interrupting assignments once in a while (or you could always find some boss fights where it wouldn't hurt where a mage happily interrupted something, so Invocation was my choice, but I don't think the last points matter as much to frosties.

Frost IS viable, tho it hurts to aoe as frost (me trying my hardest to blizzard on some fights :|), it does work well on movement heavy fights compared to arcane, and does better single target dps than fire if played well. xD My mage is my alt alt, so yea, I'm srsly undergeared and I can keep up with dps most times.
    :3 About that armory link. Ya me de~

The one problem with Frost Mages is that they are pretty crit dependent
    Even in Fire gear, you will probably need the 5% crit buff and the 5% crit debuff (only supplied by fire mage and warlocks) to do decent damage because you want as close to 100% crit chance on your shatter spells as possible.

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#ohhZrZff0osIszro
    If you are looking for a spec i find this one to be the best though burning soul and Nether wing presence could be switched around

Herald of the Titans Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dgbaker93 View Post
    http://www.wowhead.com/talent#ohhZrZff0osIszro
    If you are looking for a spec i find this one to be the best though burning soul and Nether wing presence could be switched around
    The hell am I reading...

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#o0bZfcZffMosIszMo:aMR Optional talents explained in my sig link. It's 4.0.6 but nothing changed to discredit any of it except that reactive barrier works while precasting now.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkanddive View Post
    I totally agree with Redbounty. Frost can be handy for kiting adds on 10man Nefarian.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbounty View Post

Well then you need to stop being bad. Frost is great in pve.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuni Zyrekai View Post
    The hell am I reading...

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#o0bZfcZffMosIszMo:aMR Optional talents explained in my sig link. It's 4.0.6 but nothing changed to discredit any of it except that reactive barrier works while precasting now.
    I swear the amount of misinformation on these forums could fill the grand canyon.

Herald of the Titans Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by spk View Post
    I swear the amount of misinformation on these forums could fill the grand canyon.
    I do hope that was aimed at the first part of my comment.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuni Zyrekai View Post
    I do hope that was aimed at the first part of my comment.
    Yes.

10 char

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by spk View Post
    Well then you need to stop being bad. Frost is great in pve.
    100% agree.