Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Cheese is only cheese until people realize that's it's actually a well thought out strat. Don't hang your head in shame. If it's really that effective then it will eventually become mainstream, and then more and more teams will be aware that they need to counter you, and the game will rebalance itself all over again. Grats on clawing your way to the tip of the strategy spear.

its not that far fetched if they somehow killed the blood DK only, the rest aren't going to meet him at the GY just to walk him back to their zerg. Well they eventually probably would i guess.

its just odd a blood dk would ever be the first or only one dead to show up at the GY like that, especially when players rarely leave their clumps in RBG's.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JShepherd87 View Post
    Cheese is only cheese until people realize that's it's actually a well thought out strat. Don't hang your head in shame. If it's really that effective then it will eventually become mainstream, and then more and more teams will be aware that they need to counter you, and the game will rebalance itself all over again. Grats on clawing your way to the tip of the strategy spear.
    This. www.sirlin.net on cheesing:

The good players are reaching higher and higher levels of play. They found the “cheap stuff” and abused it. They know how to stop the cheap stuff. They know how to stop the other guy from stopping it so they can keep doing it. And as is quite common in competitive games, many new tactics will later be discovered that make the original cheap tactic look wholesome and fair. Often in fighting games, one character will have something so good it’s unfair. Fine, let him have that. As time goes on, it will be discovered that other characters have even more powerful and unfair tactics. Each player will attempt to steer the game in the direction of his own advantages, much how grandmaster chess players attempt to steer opponents into situations in which their opponents are weak.
    Your method will be labelled cheap/cheese. That makes you the better player because you won. Until they counter your cheap move, you will continue to be the better player. Play to win, not to follow some predetermined set of "fairness" rules.

Blizzard defines fair, not some collective of forum posters or opponents who get frustrated with your relatively simple counter.

R.I.P. YARG

I understand its a strat but still, its not cheesy...just simply a grievance...just put yourself in his shoes, what if you joined a RBG hopin to play a fun match of pvp only to find out that for 20 mins you will be trying to run but being completely unable to move your character...you basically forced someone to sit in a chair for 20 mins and watch his character be stunned...terrible griever you have become, for the sake of a rating.

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin View Post
    This. www.sirlin.net on cheesing:

Your method will be labelled cheap/cheese. That makes you the better player because you won. Until they counter your cheap move, you will continue to be the better player. Play to win, not to follow some predetermined set of "fairness" rules.

Blizzard defines fair, not some collective of forum posters or opponents who get frustrated with your relatively simple counter.

God i hate that mentality, if the act isn't really enjoyable, playing to win is highly overrated. Its lootwhore mentality.

Altho i'd call this more thinking outside of the box than cheese, or maybe even greifing satisfaction. Only thing i have a problem with if you're standing there kiting/cc'ing a Blood DK/tank all game every game you can't seeriously think thats a fun way to game, let alone play WoW/rbg's. Cheese is more like doing stuff that doesn't ahve practical counters so i wouldn't call it cheese.

15+ Year Old Account
    I get that doing nothing but root, snare, and cc a single target for 10 minutes straight is boring. But this is RBG. You're there to win and thereby increase your (and 9 other peoples) rank, get more points, and perhaps win a title at the end of the season. If you refuse to use a tactic that works and increases your win ratio, but is boring, then you're basically telling your team "Hey guys, do you mind if we win less? I'd have more fun winning less."

This does not make sense to me. I do normal BGs for fun. I would do RBGs for the rewards.

R.I.P. YARG

Quote Originally Posted by Imurbandaid View Post
    ... for the sake of a rating.
    I thought that was the idea?

I say go for it, if they can't think of a way to counter than that is their problem. As someone mentioned "cheese" is when there is no counterstrat that is effective. There are plenty of ways they could have free'd / helped there stuck DK out.

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin View Post
    I get that doing nothing but root, snare, and cc a single target for 10 minutes straight is boring. But this is RBG. You're there to win and thereby increase your (and 9 other peoples) rank, get more points, and perhaps win a title at the end of the season. If you refuse to use a tactic that works and increases your win ratio, but is boring, then you're basically telling your team "Hey guys, do you mind if we win less? I'd have more fun winning less."

This does not make sense to me. I do normal BGs for fun. I would do RBGs for the rewards.
    yeah i see your point, and i guess thats a big reason why the rated venues tends to turn me off with the roles you have to play, and the dictation with less free form, to be efficient.

Deleted
    we used to have a sub rogue sit in our flag room and just do anything in his power to grief the tank into not moving and wasting his trinket so we could successfully gang fuck him in a smoke bomb later ^.^

very annoying i guess, but it worked charms.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's a great defensive move!

uhm and the tank didnt have a pocket healer dispelling?

Not cheese, teams that lose to this suck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ClavellBC View Post
    If the idiots on the other team *let* that happen, they deserved to lose hardcore.
    Yeah where were his teammates while you were doing this? Guess the DK was getting mad at the wrong people
    Three kinds of people in this world
    1. Those who make things happen
    2. People who sit and want things to happen
    3. Those who sit and wonder what happened

Which one are you?

A single paladin throwing a Hand of Freedom could lead to your death...so yeah, your opponents deserve a loss here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you kidding? a group of 9 priests and 1 warrior tank. have all of the priest get 40 yards away from each other and life grip the warrior all the way back to base. Then you sit there and hold out until everyone's Life grip is off cd. And you do it again! Thats how you win at Twin Peaks.
    "Come, face me! Give in to your Pride! Show me your Greatness!"

mfw every day | Nujabes - Horizon

Sounds like PvP executed correctly to me. I think too many players forget that there's a lot more to it than "Kill X." There have been countless times that my only goal was to keep someone tied up and distracted from where they needed to be and I succeed while they're spamming /rofl at me. My favorite 'you missed the point' scenario was an unrated WSG at the end of Wrath:

We're one cap away from the win and I have the flag on my ele shaman. I don't remember the opposition's score. I get to our flag room and can't cap as they have our flag. Tucked away on the empty node nook is a holy paladin who, like me, was in full Wrathful (no shoulders so it's likely someone who earned it all through BGs). It's going to take a hefty offensive to take me down so I'm comfortable flying solo but what I don't want to happen is for my team to return it only for this pally to pick it up before I cap. My partner tells me the rest of their team is on their carrier so I have no worries. I jump down and blow up on the pally, knowing I won't kill him. He knows this too but for whatever reason, he HoJs me as he runs to the right and heads up to the second level. He spam heals himself while I conserve mana and cast LBs from below. I smirk at all the rude emotes he sends my way. My partner tells me their carrier is about to go down and I move to the node. Our flag is returned and I cap it for the win. This guy actually makes a Lvl 1 to tell me how terrible I am and that I was never going to take him down. Good to see he'll still be missing the point in subsequent matches

frost dk. Sub rogue, frost mage..there usually assigned to it. Frost mage is the best. On my frost dk im a tank killer so the burst then kiting there cds makes frost dk good with 100% slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Aedail View Post
    I think I'm close to understanding this thread. . ./places tinfoil hat squarely on head. . .Ah, yes. I see now. . . /tinfoil hat off, approaching reality once more

no exploits were used in the implementation of this strategy

therefore its all fair game

keep it up

reminds me of the healer who posted a qq thread the other week that he was sick of getting "griefed" in bgs, where ppl would focus fire him.....

an actual strategic play in a PVP BG??? well i never!

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by reverendball View Post
    no exploits were used in the implementation of this strategy

therefore its all fair game

keep it up

reminds me of the healer who posted a qq thread the other week that he was sick of getting "griefed" in bgs, where ppl would focus fire him.....

an actual strategic play in a PVP BG??? well i never!
    I am a PvP healer and I approve of this message.
    Yeah, I dug shadow more because I had less mana issues, more offense and more escapes, but I switched to disc for arenas and RBGs.
    As the only priest on my team, I am instafocused in both scenarios. People who do BGs may be stupid sometimes (e.g. people in TB who will focus a DPS for several minutes while ignoring the healer keeping him up), but people in arenas/RBGs seem to know enough to slam healers right away.
    It's not cheesy, it's a viable strategy. As is freezing the FC tank. As is a sub rogue ruining lives in the GY. Communicate and dominate. If that mage is freezing your tank, dispel like a madman. Fear and silence him. Force his teammates to support and the cycle will move toward balance. That rogue? If there is more than one person ressing take him down. If not, trinket that sap and use your escape/cc. Get a teammate to gank him right when he pops to gank your resser.

TL;DR - Nothing in a PvP environment is cheese or OP. There's always a bigger fish.

It would be way cheesier to be a blood DK carrying a flag than beem a mage stoping him. If his team doesn't come to help him by either kill you are counter peel you, they really don't deserv to win anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Katanasteel View Post
    I'm sorry but this post just really seems to me like.

"I'm a frost mage and here is further proof that we need to get balanced in PvP"

As far as cheese strats go me and another rogue shadowstep the GY and harass people there.
    And this seems to me like "when I hear the words frost and mage together, I have to jump and scream NERF! NERF! NERF!"
    OP says that he controls the enemy without killing him. Frost mage design is all about controlling and opponent while having a lower dps and burst. Hence, I don't see any problem in the scenario OP described. It is a good use of the intended design of the class/spec.